Thread: VA State Trooper files lawsuit against video blogger

VA State Trooper files lawsuit against video blogger

Did a search and didn't find news of this posted...

Many r3VOLutionaries have met, or know (of) Nathan Cox in Virginia. He is a combat vet Ron Paul supporter who stays active in CopBlock/etc. He videotaped a stop a while back that drew a fair amount of internet buzz and now the cop has filed a lawsuit for "defamation." Is kinda crazy on a couple levels. I mean, the lady seemingly detests notoriety, yet is bringing more upon herself. Further, by filing a personal lawsuit, doesn't she give up any sort of official immunity?

Gonna be interesting to watch. Nathan is no pushover...

A Virginia State Trooper filed a defamation lawsuit against a Mechanicsville man after he posted about a traffic stop online.

Nathan Cox claims Trooper Melanie McKenney violated his rights during the heated encounter over Memorial Day weekend 2012.

Cox, an Army veteran, says the trooper wouldn't let him properly record the stop with his cell phone. He posted about the stop online on the Virginia Copblock website. The cell phone and police dash camera video went viral.
    http://www.nbc12.com/story/25096433/...tYNuE.facebook

Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm failing to see where "defamation" of character comes from. It's a video. Her behavior was simply recorded.

LOL @ Quote from the article.

NBC12 spoke to the executive director of the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police, Dana Schrad.

"The irony for officers is that they see themselves as public servants and there to help and protect and serve the public. And yet, they often get treated with a lot of derision, so that can be stressful. That can be demoralizing," said Schrad.
    Nathan should be more grateful for being served and protected with a citation.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I'm failing to see where "defamation" of character comes from. It's a video. Her behavior was simply recorded.
    Yup, that too
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

Cop has a leg to stand on when every single surveillance camera goes dark.

Until, then, piss off.

Keep us posted RPH.

"The irony for officers is that they see themselves as public servants and there to help and protect and serve the public. And yet, they often get treated with a lot of derision, so that can be stressful. That can be demoralizing," said Schrad.
    This guy is right. Getting treated with scorn and derision is demoralizing. I know exactly what he means, because as I have stated before, I see myself as Kate Upton.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    This guy is right. Getting treated with scorn and derision is demoralizing. I know exactly what he means, because as I have stated before, I see myself as Kate Upton.
    You're a million times more attractive than Kate Upton

No link to the video, at the article site. I wonder if the video is still up for viewing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    No link to the video, at the article site. I wonder if the video is still up for viewing.
    Here's the dashcam

Here's his cell:

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    The defamation part probably comes from blogging about it afterward.

I like how both officers agree that the cell phone could be "a gun disguised as a cell phone". That's so ridiculous.
    Last edited by PaulConventionWV; 03-30-2014 at 07:18 AM.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Nathan wrote about this on VCB

On March 17, 2014 I was served a “Warrant in Debt”. As you will see in the attached image, I’m being sued for $5,000 by Virginia State Police Trooper Melanie McKenney. Some of you readers may recall that two years ago I was pulled over by Trooper Melanie McKenney during Memorial Day Weekend when the Virginia State Police had many of their Revenue Generating Officers out on the interstates. I had described it as the second most aggressive traffic stop I had ever been involved in. She violated my rights and denied my right to record her by claiming my cell phone could be a gun – however the information and videos given to me through the FOIA Request showed that she knew it wasn’t a gun, in her words, “I don’t want myself on any type of YouTube or whatever.” If you are not aware of this incident and would like to see the article and videos of that incident click here.

I am as confused about these allegations as anyone else. My suspicion is that she may be upset that her Dashboard Camera video, along with my cell phone videos, did in-fact make it to You Tube and have accumulated more than a Half a Million views. I will keep the public up to date on this situation.
    more at link

~ C.Coolidge

A pox on officer Melanie McKenney..........

Not too far away from Mechanicsville, only about ten miles away from me.

Hope Nate pulls through this. Don't see how McKenney has legs to stand on in this case. Just because you don't want to be on Youtube doesn't mean I don't get to record your rude behavior revenue collector- I mean, officer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.