Thread: Bolton: Trump's Wrong - We're Not Leaving Syria!

Bolton: Trump's Wrong - We're Not Leaving Syria!

Bolton: Trump's Wrong - We're Not Leaving Syria!

President Trump's National Security Advisor John Bolton (along with the Secretary of State and other neocons) are openly defying the president's stated policy of a rapid withdrawal of US troops from Syria. The president does not seem too bothered by this open insubordination. Will he cave in to the neocons? Does it really matter?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He is busy with the shutdown right now but I predict that Bolton and Pompeo will be gone and the pullouts will take place.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    He is busy with the shutdown right now but I predict that Bolton and Pompeo will be gone and the pullouts will take place.
    People criticize Trumps appointees and criticize Trump when he gets rid of them.

Who the hell does this ass clown Bolton think he is? Last I checked he's not the president.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Who the hell does this ass clown Bolton think he is? Last I checked he's not the president.
    Well, the president could fire him, no?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    And suffer the wrath of Lindsey Graham and Javanka?

Not to mention Lil' Marco.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

He should have never been hired in the first place.

Someone cant walk and chew gum at the same time. Trump is all talk and no action. He gives you hope that he would defy TPTB but just folds every single time. Remember when he said he would do something about birth right citizenship? Audit the fed, investigate the Clintons etc etc.

These bold statements is what he uses to prime the people so they continue to support him. But nothing ever comes off it. Don't stop believing, one day he might actually fulfill those promises.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Someone cant walk and chew gum at the same time. Trump is all talk and no action. He gives you hope that he would defy TPTB but just folds every single time. Remember when he said he would do something about birth right citizenship? Audit the fed, investigate the Clintons etc etc.

These bold statements is what he uses to prime the people so they continue to support him. But nothing ever comes off it. Don't stop believing, one day he might actually fulfill those promises.
    Mattis left why?

Trump is learning who his enemies are in his cabinet and he is starting to get tired of being restrained.

He has failed to follow through on many things but that will begin to change.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    We can only hope.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Mattis left why?

Trump is learning who his enemies are in his cabinet and he is starting to get tired of being restrained.

He has failed to follow through on many things but that will begin to change.
    What do you mean learning who his enemies are? As if he didn't already know what Bolton's foreign policy positions were when he actively recruited him.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    What do you mean learning who his enemies are? As if he didn't already know what Bolton's foreign policy positions were when he actively recruited him.
    Did he know Bolton would openly defy him?

Trump agrees with Bolton on some things but he expects his employees to obey him.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Did he know Bolton would openly defy him?

Trump agrees with Bolton on some things but he expects his employees to obey him.
    It has not been demonstrated that Bolton is not obeying him.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    It has not been demonstrated that Bolton is not obeying him.
    Sure.

Turkey is going on the attack against John Bolton following his weekend antics in the Middle East, which most recently included being snubbed by Erdogan in the Turkish capital. Bolton has now gone "rogue" and tried to undercut Trump's Syria pullout decision by setting his own preconditions, writes the editorial board of Turkey's most visible pro-government English language daily newspaper.
    The pro-Erdogan, AKP-supporting Daily Sabah says "a soft coup against Donald Trump" is underway, but that Trump's "rogue" National Security Adviser got a "rude awakening" upon visiting Turkey yesterday:
    If U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton thought yesterday's visit was going to be a walk in the park, he must have had a rude awakening thanks to the lukewarm reception in the Turkish capital Ankara. In retrospect, it was probably a bad idea for Bolton to go rogue and try to impose conditions on the United States withdrawal from Syria. Keeping in mind that Turkey was already getting ready to send its troops to northern Syria before U.S. President Donald Trump's surprise announcement last month, it is time for Washington to accept that it isn't negotiating with Turkey from a position of power.

The op-ed declares case closed for any doubts about a fierce resistance seeking to subvert Trump within his own administration:
    If there was ever any doubt that the resistance within the Trump administration wasn't real, what happened in light of Trump's decision to leave disproved the skeptics. Bolton and several other members of the Trump administration are committing a serious crime by preventing the current president of the United States from reversing his predecessor's misguided decisions in the Syrian theater. What is happening today isn't a policy debate, but a direct challenge to American democracy by unelected paper-pushers. Indeed, "many of the senior officials in his own administration are working diligently from within to frustrate" President Trump's agenda.
    Bolton is pushing for Trump to hold off on withdrawing 2,000+ US troops from Syria until it had received assurances from Turkey that the Turks wouldn't attack US-backed Kurds in the region. Bolton revealed the change in direction during a Sunday interview, ahead of a planned trip abroad where he will visit Turkey and Israel to discuss the terms of the US withdrawal; however, the degree to which Trump has personally signed off on Bolton's "preconditions" remains unclear, and for the past week contradictory messages have been issued from both Pentagon and admin officials.
    Instead of meeting with Bolton, Erdogan used a prescheduled speech in parliament to criticize American proposals that the Kurdish group play a key role in Syria after the US withdraws, according to Bloomberg.
    Turkey goes on the attack against Bolton: accuses him of going "rogue" and seeking to undercut Trump's decision to pull out of Syria by setting his own conditions. "A soft coup against Trump is underway." https://t.co/cTCQB5x64i
    — Liz Sly (@LizSly) January 8, 2019
    Notably, on Monday President Trump slammed a New York Times piece that heavily quoted Bolton, suggesting new preconditions on the announced Syria draw down, and that Bolton had effectively “rolled back” Trump’s decision to “rapidly withdraw from Syria.”
    Trump blasted the Times via Twitter, saying the newspaper published “a very inaccurate story on my intentions for Syria,” and that the policy that remains is “No different from my original statements, we will be leaving at a proper pace while at the same time continuing to fight ISIS and doing all else that is prudent and necessary!”.

The astute geopolitical blog Moon of Alabama rightly concluded, "And with that, Bolton was humiliated and the issue of the U.S. retreat from Syria kicked back to Trump."

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...-turkish-daily

A top Turkish official says Turkey will not seek permission from allies to conduct a military offensive against Syrian Kurdish fighters but is willing to coordinate operations.

Presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin also told reporters following talks with White House national security adviser John Bolton that there is no slowdown in the timetable for a U.S. withdrawal from Syria, adding that U.S. officials have said during their discussions that the withdrawal could take place within "120 days."
    Kaliln said their talks on Tuesday focused on how the United States would collect the weapons that were given to Kurdish militia fighting the Islamic State group as well as the future of U.S. bases in Syria.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/latest-trump-...085331052.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump blasted the Times via Twitter, saying the newspaper published “a very inaccurate story on my intentions for Syria,” and that the policy that remains is “No different from my original statements, we will be leaving at a proper pace while at the same time continuing to fight ISIS and doing all else that is prudent and necessary!”.
    It sounds like Trump is trying to weasel his way into saying that what Bolton's saying is no different than what he himself has been saying all along.

You've probably noticed that Trump has a habit of taking both sides of things at the same time like that.