Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul only "nay" vote on Iran Resolution

Rand Paul only "nay" vote on Iran Resolution

http://news.yahoo.com/senate-approve...044224956.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate has overwhelmingly approved a resolution that reaffirms U.S. efforts to stop Iran from developing a nuclear weapon and says containment of a nuclear-capable Iran is not an option.

By a vote of 90-1 early Saturday, the Senate backed the nonbinding measure that specifically states that it should not been interpreted as an authorization for the use of military force or a declaration of war.

--

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., who cast the only "no" vote, had spoken out against the resolution as an excuse for the use of military force.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That Rand guy, clearly a neocon traitor.

This is a non-binding resolution so it really means nothing. I'm glad Rand voted against it though. Nine Senators didn't vote at all on this.

And the Rand Paul haters will continue to have to desperately cling to that one 100-0 Iranian sanctions unanimous consent vote.
    Last edited by RonPaulFanInGA; 09-22-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post
    And the Rand Paul haters will continue to have to desperately cling to that one 100-0 Iranian sanctions unanimous consent vote.
    I'm actually starting to think that many of them are willing to let that one go as time goes forward. Rand has currently been proving his libertarian cred in no small terms.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    I'm actually starting to think that many of them are willing to let that one go as time goes forward. Rand has currently been proving his libertarian cred in no small terms.
    He even mentioned that sanctions vote in his speech and used it to point out that he wasn't a philosophical extremist but rather the real moderate in this whole iran issue.

The bill in question ends with this:

"Nothing in this resolution shall be construed as an authorization for the use of force or a declaration of war."
    Make of it what you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post

if the legislation says that, it means the opposite is true.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    if the legislation says that, it means the opposite is true.
    More or less. Anyone have the vote breakdown for the funding bill?
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.

Very nicely done Rand, kudos!
    Do you live in Michigan? Join our meetup and help spread the Ron Paul message!!

http://www.meetup.com/ronpaul-39/

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
    --Thomas Jefferson

My god, just finished watching this. This is the best speech by Rand I have ever heard. He may not be his father but you could very much hear Ron in there.
    Do you live in Michigan? Join our meetup and help spread the Ron Paul message!!

http://www.meetup.com/ronpaul-39/

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
    --Thomas Jefferson

"Nothing in this resolution shall be construed as an authorization for the use of force or a declaration of war."
    Rand got them to insert that language in a previous Iran sanction bill so I'm guessing that language is his work too.

More or less. Anyone have the vote breakdown for the funding bill?
    The 6 month continuing resolution? It passed 62-30.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=2&vote=00199

YEAs:

McConnell (R-KY)

For liberty!

YEAs:

McConnell (R-KY)

For liberty!
    omg, you figured out mcconnell isn't one of us? you must be a genius.

Where are the Rand Paul haters?

Seriously I would like to see their take on this.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    Where are the Rand Paul haters?

Seriously I would like to see their take on this.
    i suppose by hater you mean those who criticized Rand in the past? by that definition i'm a hater. my take on this is that he voted the right way. i look forward to watching his speech.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post
    sanctions are a serious matter, but okay if you want to be a jerk that criticizes people who actually care about serious matters. Anyhow, Ill be watching what Rand does and then decide what I will support in 2016 ,not the other way around .

Interesting that this vote came up at the same time as the aid vote. It looks like the leadership did this to fire back at Rand.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    i suppose by hater you mean those who criticized Rand in the past? by that definition i'm a hater. my take on this is that he voted the right way. i look forward to watching his speech.
    I think over time people will start realizing Rand is as good as it gets. Guy is smart and knows what he's doing - an ally.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

tube of Rands speech?
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

nvm, found it on the other thread.
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

"The average person figures that the president tells the truth, the vice president tells the truth, the secretary of state tell the truth; and they don't. They don't. The founders understood that people would be flawed, that political leaders would not be the best of men … so they set forth the constitution. We don't follow the constitution in this country; had we done so in 2001 and 2002, the world would be a different place" - Karen Kwiatkowski

nice speech sir
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

This was a courageous vote.

Anyone who calls Rand a "neo-con" now will look pretty foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    That Rand guy, clearly a neocon traitor.
    Sanction sell out!

Call em when I see good, and when I see bad. Good on Rand for this.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast