Thread: Law enforcement investigators seek out private DNA databases

Law enforcement investigators seek out private DNA databases

Law enforcement investigators seek out private DNA databases

By PAUL ELIAS
    Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Investigators are broadening their DNA searches beyond government databases and demanding genetic information from companies that do ancestry research for their customers.

Two major companies that research family lineage for fees around $200 say that over the last two years, they have received law enforcement demands for individual's genetic information stored in their DNA databases.

Ancestry.com and competitor 23andme report a total of five requests from law agencies for the genetic material of six individuals in their growing databases of hundreds of thousands. Ancestry.com turned over one person's data for an investigation into the murder and rape of an 18-year-old woman in Idaho Falls, Idaho. 23andme has received four other court orders but persuaded investigators to withdraw the requests.

The companies say law enforcement demands for genetic information are rare.

But privacy advocates and experts are concerned that genetic information turned over for medical, family history research or other highly personal reasons could be misused by investigators- and that the few known cases could be the start of a trend.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-26-11-42-30
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Theye will embrace and pay for the chains that enslave themme.

So only one case where information was turned over?

Ancestry.com turned over one person's data for an investigation into the murder and rape of an 18-year-old woman in Idaho Falls, Idaho. 23andme has received four other court orders but persuaded investigators to withdraw the requests.

The companies say law enforcement demands for genetic information are rare.

This is part of the reason I don't do it. The other part is that I have no problem proving who I am and who my immediate ancestors are.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Citizens of Kuwait must now register their DNA with the government

Citizens of Kuwait must now register their DNA with the government

In a bold and controversial move, Kuwait has just passed a new law that makes it mandatory to register your DNA with the government. Starting soon, the 1.3 million citizens and 2.9 million foreign residents of Kuwait will have to enter their individual DNA profiles into a government database. Since the program is being mandated, the government of Kuwait will spend the equivalent of about $400 million to subsidize the DNA testing and management.
    More: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-te...-reigstration/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Welcome to the global gulag.

The thing is, you don't have to submit your own DNA to such a database in order for people to be able to find you. If a relative of yours is in that database... Well, their DNA looks a lot like yours. At some point in time there will be an approximate DNA profile for everyone on the planet.
    "I am a bird"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Man, they are like beagles - voracious appetites always hungry for MORE, and never satisfied.

I suppose anyone stupid enough to participate in one of those irrelevant lineage tests deserves what they get. By now everyone not living under a rock should be aware that police and other agents of the tyrant will be making such demands with ever greater frequency and stridency. I can envision a day when they will be receiving copies of such companies' data in real time for their own use, perhaps mandated by "law".

The vanity of the stoopid meaner is so overwhelming in relation to their basic common sense, such as it may be, that they would rather satisfy it than protect their privacy. Once again I can muster no sympathy for those who will be stung by it, especially the guilty.

People should no longer amaze me with their willful stupidity; and yet they manage.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Welcome to the global gulag.
    Reported.

"Prison planet" is no longer just a cute internet marketing device. It is the real-deal horror show spread to every nook and cranny of this rock.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Dang I was kind of looking forward to trying this out too. Genealogy is interesting stuff, sucks you have to worry about govt confiscating it. I might do it anyway.