Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Governor Nixon removing STL PD from Ferguson

Supporting Member
    Missouri

Blog Entries

Governor Nixon removing STL PD from Ferguson

http://www.salon.com/2014/08/14/repo...from_ferguson/

“The worsening situation in Ferguson is deeply troubling, and does not represent who we are as Missourians or as Americans. While we all respect the solemn responsibility of our law enforcement officers to protect the public, we must also safeguard the rights of Missourians to peaceably assemble and the rights of the press to report on matters of public concern,” Nixon said in a statement this morning.
    Last edited by Roxi; 08-14-2014 at 10:05 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So he is sending the State Police ?

It's like every single decision these guys make results in a PR nightmare.

Kicking the foxes out of the henhouse to make way for the wolves.....

Arresting and charging the cop who murdered that man would have prevented all of this. That would be too easy, I guess. Besides:

"What's the point of having this superb military that you're always talking about if we can't use it?"
    --Madeleine Albright

Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

If I were the governor I would mobilize the National Guard, fully armed, in order to defend the people against the police.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

How to not get bad press:

* do not attack journalists.

How to not get your department taken over by the feds:

* do not make bad press worse

How to not make bad press worse:

* do not attack journalists

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A lot of the people who complained about how the FBI behaved in Watertown MA will be cheering them on in Ferguson.

On a gun forum I read some of the people who complained about the FBI pointing weapons at people in Watertown are all for snipers taking aim on peaceful protesters in Ferguson.

All because those people are all "ghetto rats" and "animals" (never mind the fact that it's probably a small percentage of them looting, etc, and some of those are opportunists and agitators from out of town).

According to what people on the livestream were saying, the ones doing the looting were from a nearby area, not where they were firing teargas last night.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    A lot of the people who complained about how the FBI behaved in Watertown MA will be cheering them on in Ferguson.

On a gun forum I read some of the people who complained about the FBI pointing weapons at people in Watertown are all for snipers taking aim on peaceful protesters in Ferguson.

All because those people are all "ghetto rats" and "animals" (never mind the fact that it's probably a small percentage of them looting, etc, and some of those are opportunists and agitators from out of town).
    Seems everyone loves to have someone to hate. I'd start with the one drawing down on me.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    According to what people on the livestream were saying, the ones doing the looting were from a nearby area, not where they were firing teargas last night.
    Did you hear about the white guy with the dog who wanted to lend support to the protesters last night? They nearly attacked him and chased him off. They erroneously thought he was a cop. That tells you how far gone some of these people are.
    Last edited by AuH20; 08-14-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post

Well, that's pretty obvious. People like to pretend we live in some sort of post-racial America, but blacks are still viewed as subhuman and subjected to harsher punishment under the law in comparison to whites (even when they commit the same 'crimes'). They're targeted by stop-and-frisks, have a history of being portrayed as criminals or shady characters in media (while the white mobs are romanticized), have been targeted and had their communities destroyed by the war on drugs, have a history of slavery and struggle in the not-too-distant past, grow up in poverty and a lot of the time to single parents, don't have many positive role models, see people clutch their purses or cross the street in their presence, are told they're 'one of the good ones' all the time by people who lack tact (as if to say blacks are inherently inferior as a whole), deal with stupid, racist comments on websites casting a wide net on people of color (check out a lot of YouTube videos), etc.

It goes on. Ask any white person if they'd prefer to live life as a black person and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who would want to subject themselves to the $#@! black people have to deal with on a daily basis.

And remember, the NRA and Saint Reagan advocated for gun control when blacks wanted to open carry.

Last edited by Antischism; 08-14-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Did you hear about the white guy with the dog who wanted to lend support to the protesters last night? They nearly attacked him and chased him off. They erroneously thought he was a cop. That tells you how far gone some of these people are.
    I heard about that, and wondered about him, and the dog. What kind of fool takes their dog for a walk in the middle of that ? Somebody else walking his dog there got shot a couple of nights ago, I don't know what happened with him or the dog. I'm glad it sounds like the one last night got away.

I hope the dog got away too -- if some knucklehead in the crowd didn't do something to it then the cops would be happy to shoot it. It's really unfortunate that what could be a good thing (an uprising against the police state) is just going to be remembered for idiots like these looting and attacking innocents.

Who the hell are "these people"? The peaceful protestors who were tear gassed? Assaulted by SWAT?

The "these people" we should be criticizing are the gov goons who can do whatever they want to anyone they want. If the cops are all white, I'd be suspicious myself.

As for those on the forum making the looting a bigger deal than the shooting- let's just hope that it isn't your loved one someday lying dead on the street because of an ego ridden po-po.

The looting was a minor event by a few- the shooting was a major event and damned permanent.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Who the hell are "these people"?

This is an interesting phenomenon. Some of the language that we read and hear with regard to what is happening down there (and more often focusing on the looting alone) is very similar in nature to the imperialist/militarist mindset that we find from the war rattlers who would support the same model as a legitimate method of logic in foreign policy. Does that make sense? It's kind of ironic that many in the so called conservative faction condone (politically) the looting of entire nations and their resources for financial gain by way of militarized contractors and such and so it is almost fitting that the looting that we are seeing down there would trump the terms of controversy instead of militarized operations that we are seeing there in Ferguson. I've read from many, many folks in that community that they in no way supported the looting and were not involved in it yet the fact remains that it is also their community and personal property that is being fired upon.

Of course, I'm not condoning the looting. Just sharing an observation. Well...very vaguely. Really don't feel like scribbling up what could amount to a small book to explain the midset. I suppose that the word I'm looking for would be doublespeak.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 08-14-2014 at 02:59 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    How to not get bad press:

* do not attack journalists.

How to not get your department taken over by the feds:

* do not make bad press worse

How to not make bad press worse:

* do not attack journalists

Quote Originally Posted by Antischism View Post
    Well, that's pretty obvious. People like to pretend we live in some sort of post-racial America, but blacks are still viewed as subhuman and subjected to harsher punishment under the law in comparison to whites (even when they commit the same 'crimes'). They're targeted by stop-and-frisks, have a history of being portrayed as criminals or shady characters in media (while the white mobs are romanticized), have been targeted and had their communities destroyed by the war on drugs, have a history of slavery and struggle in the not-too-distant past, grow up in poverty and a lot of the time to single parents, don't have many positive role models, see people clutch their purses or cross the street in their presence, are told they're 'one of the good ones' all the time by people who lack tact (as if to say blacks are inherently inferior as a whole), deal with stupid, racist comments on websites casting a wide net on people of color (check out a lot of YouTube videos), etc.

It goes on. Ask any white person if they'd prefer to live life as a black person and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who would want to subject themselves to the $#@! black people have to deal with on a daily basis.

And remember, the NRA and Saint Reagan advocated for gun control when blacks wanted to open carry.

You make a good point. White privilege may exist, but it's really only defined by a lack of respect for blacks, and it only exists because the government treats blacks so poorly. While society's idea of white privilege is merely a figment of our collective imagination, the real white privilege is simply the continued discrimination on the part of the state and it is much more real and pervasive than any notion of privilege supposedly ingrained into society as a whole.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by Antischism View Post
    Well, that's pretty obvious. People like to pretend we live in some sort of post-racial America, but blacks are still viewed as subhuman and subjected to harsher punishment under the law in comparison to whites (even when they commit the same 'crimes').
    YUP
    This is a bi-product of the civil rights movement. Separation and marginalization.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Why do black people always loot and burn their own neighborhoods when they get mad at the cops? It's never made any sense.

Let me guess, saw it on Fox news? The bastion of fair and balanced journalism? For future reference, please link these stories that you "hear" about. Not saying you are lying, it just helps to see who the writer of your story is and see if there is any bias.

I wonder what would happen if they, the St. Louis County cops, said "no"?

Missouri governor: Highway patrol will direct security in Ferguson

By Michael Pearson, Ana Cabrera and Catherine E. Shoichet, CNN
    updated 5:27 PM EDT, Thu August 14, 2014

He just gave his speech its on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/us/mis...ing/index.html

CNN's Don Lemon reports live from Ferguson, Missouri, today from 10p.m. ET until midnight. Tune in to CNN TV or watch live online or on your mobile device using the Watch CNN feature.
    Ferguson, Missouri (CNN) -- State troopers are taking over security in Ferguson, Missouri, after days of clashes between local police and protesters.
    Gov. Jay Nixon said he decided to put the Missouri State Highway Patrol in charge of security because "at this particular point, the attitudes weren't improving, and the blocks towards expression appeared to be a flashpoint."
    Lately, the community of Ferguson, which has been the scene of clashes in the wake of a weekend police shooting that left teenager Michael Brown dead, has looked "more like a war zone, and it's not acceptable," Nixon said.
    Now, authorities -- who've faced accusations that they've used excessive force in response to demonstrations -- will be taking a different tack in an effort to calm tensions, officials said Thursday.

"We're all about making sure that we allow peaceful and appropriate protests, that we use force only when necessary, that we step back a little bit and let some of the energy be felt in this region, appropriately," Nixon said

Chosen by the state's governor to head up the new security operation, Missouri State Highway Patrol Capt. Ron Johnson said he planned to meet with protesters Thursday.

"We are going to have a different approach and have the approach that we're in this together," he said.

Police chief: City is a 'powder keg'

Earlier Thursday, the city's police chief described it as a "powder keg."

"The whole situation is not good at this point," Chief Thomas Jackson said a day after clashes in which police fired smoke bombs, tear gas and rubber pellets at protesters who he said had thrown firebombs at police and engaged in gunfire.

Jackson said police would talk about changing "not only the tactics but also the appearance" of law enforcement.

U.S. Justice Department officials have offered to assist local authorities to help them control crowds

"without relying on unnecessarily extreme displays of force,"

Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement Thursday. The offer has been accepted, he said.
    Jackson said protesters also have to do their share by remaining peaceful.

Governor: 'This has clearly touched a nerve'

Ferguson has been the scene of protests since Saturday, when a police officer shot and killed Brown, who was unarmed. Police say he was trying to grab the officer's gun. Witnesses say the 18-year-old was holding his hands in the air when he was fatally shot.

Protesters are angry that police have not released the officer's name and worry that a cover-up is in effect. St. Louis County police and federal investigators are looking into Brown's death. No charges have been filed.

Although locals say race relations have long been troubled between the city's mostly African-American population and the mostly white police force, anger spilled out after Brown's death, resulting in protests, violence, looting and fires.

Brown's death and protests over the case have resonated far beyond that city, Nixon said Thursday.

"These are deep and existing problems not only in Missouri but in America, and this has clearly touched a nerve," he said.
    President Barack Obama also spoke out.

"There is never an excuse for violence against police or for those who would use this tragedy as a cover for vandalism or looting," he said. "There is also no excuse for police to use excessive force against peaceful protests or to throw protesters in jail for lawfully exercising their First Amendment rights."
    Their comments came after a night in which heavily armed police and protesters clashed, two reporters were briefly detained and an Al Jazeera America camera crew complained that police shot tear gas at them.

After ordering protesters and reporters to turn off their cameras, police fired smoke bombs, tear gas and rubber bullets at protesters after some threw objects at them Wednesday, according to media accounts. CNN crews have not been ordered to turn off their cameras during the protests.
    Twelve people were arrested, Jackson said. Two officers were injured, including one whose ankle was broken when a brick was thrown at him.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

"There is never an excuse for violence against police or for those who would use this tragedy as a cover for vandalism or looting," he said. "There is also no excuse for police to use excessive force against peaceful protests or to throw protesters in jail for lawfully exercising their First Amendment rights."
    But, yet, it still happened...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "You're in trouble when your SWAT team is on the front line of dealing with a civil disturbance,"

retired Lt. Gen. Russel Honore said Thursday.

In 2005, Honore was dispatched to New Orleans to lead recovery efforts after Hurricane Katrina, when the federal government said it was facing "urban warfare." Honore famously told police to lower their weapons and defused the tense situation.

"I've seen this done successfully in the past where you have your front line policemen on the front until people start throwing things. Then you have your riot control squads in the back," Honore said on "CNN Newsroom" on Thursday. "The tactics they are using, I don't know where they learned them from. It appears they may be making them up on the way. But this is escalating the situation."

"Any time we have policemen pointing weapons at American citizens, they need to go through retraining," Honor added. "And I think we are about 24 hours too late."
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/us/mis...rticle_sidebar

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    ...and not a damn thing will be done to those that did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    still happening...

either way...

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    Let me guess, saw it on Fox news? The bastion of fair and balanced journalism? For future reference, please link these stories that you "hear" about. Not saying you are lying, it just helps to see who the writer of your story is and see if there is any bias.
    Social media. One of the indy journalists there was talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Who the hell are "these people"? The peaceful protestors who were tear gassed? Assaulted by SWAT?

The "these people" we should be criticizing are the gov goons who can do whatever they want to anyone they want. If the cops are all white, I'd be suspicious myself.

As for those on the forum making the looting a bigger deal than the shooting- let's just hope that it isn't your loved one someday lying dead on the street because of an ego ridden po-po.

The looting was a minor event by a few- the shooting was a major event and damned permanent.
    I think we know who "these people" are. There are black people and then 'these people' a.k.a the lost children of the urban jungle. Self-respecting black people don't normally burn down their neighborhoods. And they don't gun down their neighbors for pair of gaudy kicks made in Asia. 'Those people' tend to do so, as much as the PC crowd wants to throw a temper tantrum when it's empirically proven. I honestly feel for the people who don't want to partake in this particular nasty social experiment.
    Last edited by AuH20; 08-14-2014 at 04:17 PM.

I think we know who "these people" are. There are black people and then 'these people' a.k.a the lost children of the urban jungle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast