Thread: Republicans suggest shutting down intelligence agencies

Republicans suggest shutting down intelligence agencies

Two top House Republicans issued a rallying call on Sunday to combat resistance from intelligence agencies to disclose classified information that they argue will blow wide open a controversy surrounding Russia's role in disrupting the 2016 election.

Rep. Devin Nunes, the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, went so far as to raise the possibility of an overhaul of the U.S. intelligence community if leaders are not more forthcoming with their findings, even as national security experts warn of sources and methods being put at risk and Democrats charge Republicans with pushing Russian disinformation to boost President Trump ahead of the 2020 election.

"We want every damn bit of evidence that every intelligence agency has, or it's maybe time to shut those agencies down," the California Republican said on the Fox News show Sunday Morning Futures. "Because, at the end of the day ... our liberties are more important than anything else we have in this country. And they have been stampeded over by these dirty cops."

Nunes and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, another California Republican who also appeared on the show hosted by Maria Bartiromo, both confirmed they have seen underlying evidence to a letter released last week from Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe that said in late July 2016, U.S. intelligence agencies received "insight" into a Russian intelligence analysis alleging that Hillary Clinton, then a candidate for president, approved a campaign plan to "stir up a scandal" against Trump tying him to Russian President Vladimir Putin and the Russians' hacking of the Democratic National Committee.

"Every member of Congress should read the underlying information behind this," McCarthy said. "This is really a bombshell of what we have wasted so much time on, that it was created by Hillary Clinton."

More at: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...illary-clinton
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've been suggesting it for a couple decades . I am sorry it took me that long to figure out it is the only way to go .

This is the same kind of "Repunlican wisdom" that GOP leaders had showed when they thought invading Iraq would be good for spreading freedom and democracy and would cost $50B.
    $6T+ and millions of deaths/injuries later, how in the world can blowback threats be detected and defended if GOP leaders ended intel agencies while we are funding global intervention projects, occupation of Palestinians, dictators and other global projects around the world?

Once GOPA-DOPA donors funded politcal leaders have ended global interventons, then it would be time to even entertain what would be otherwise such a dangerous and reckless idea.

Related

CIA Director Gina Haspel Is Blocking Declassification Of Remaining Russigate Documents

They were laughing then. They aren't laughing now.

I remember Hitlery's claim that 17 intelligence agencies had said that Russia had interfered with the 2016 election. My immediate thought was "why the hell are there 17 intelligence agencies?!". Also, those 17 intelligence agencies probably interfere with every election. Shutting down such manifestations of glut, redundancy and subversive treachery would be exquisite, but forgive me if I'm a little incredulous about it happening any time soon.

This is what Ron Paul was suggesting to help fix the country at least 13 years ago on all of his debate performances. Yes, it took a long time for many to finally realize this is one of the only ways for us to get out of this mess, but here we are, and the FBI/CIA/NSA shadow government supporting groups have never had worse reputations.

I’m not a big fan of Nunes, he’s got that RINO aura about him like most GOP politicians, but publicly is against these long held institutions that have literally done nothing for the American people for their entire existence, so I’ll take it. I’m wondering where are all the folks that loved what Ron Paul was courageously saying in 2007/2008, it’s why many of us joined the movement or are still hanging around the forums to this day. This seems like a good thing to be celebrating and we have a high ranking political person legitimizing everything RP was trying to warn us about back then til present day.

Ron Paul’s message has never been more clear and understood than it is at this moment in terms of the dangers of having unelected bureaucrats having so much surveillance and unilateral power to do as they please, we have tens of millions of Americans now taking his side on this issue and it’s growing everyday. Maybe this is why the desperation is getting so intense, they know their time is up. This isn’t about Trump or Nunes or any other political figure, this is about the people finally seeing through the lies and truth having it’s day and attempts to divert this into some false dichotomy are also looking increasingly desperate.

This is something that should have happened decades ago. Unfortunately, the Republicans are just providing lip service and they have no intention of actually doing this. Would be a sight to see if it actually happened though.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

This looks similar to the following "news"...
    That's besides that the title of this thread is very misleading as these politricksters suggested nothing like "shutting down"...

Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe disclosed a “previously rejected ... Russian intelligence assessment” 35 days before the election, to “put Russian disinformation into the public sphere in order to boost President Donald Trump’s unsubstantiated claims about the government’s efforts to investigate Russian interference in the 2016 election”.

Even Ratcliffe in his letter admitted that U.S. intelligence “does not know the accuracy of this allegation or the extent to which the Russian intelligence analysis may reflect exaggeration or fabrication".

Lindsey Graham in response to to the media hysteria wrote:
    I’m not saying whether it’s true or not. I’m asking Democrats, do you give a damn whether the FBI investigated it, or do you just care only about investigating Trump?
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-russia-423022
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Must be election season.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

This is coming from the guy who voted to renew fisa.
    "I am commonly opposed to those who modestly assume the rank of champions of liberty, and make a very patriotic noise about the people. It is the stale artifice which has duped the world a thousand times, and yet, though detected, it is still successful."

--Fisher Ames (1789)

Yes, let's all jump on this with negativity and shut it down instead of taking the opportunity to add momentum to it.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I'll believe it when I see it, I am convinced these agencies will harass and even kill if their power was seriously threatened. Nunes probably got himself an open "investigation" for speaking out of turn if there wasn't one already.

End the FBI, CIA, and the entire deep state now!

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Two top House Republicans issued a rallying call on Sunday to combat resistance from intelligence agencies to disclose classified information that they argue will blow wide open a controversy surrounding Russia's role in disrupting the 2016 election.

Rep. Devin Nunes, the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, went so far as to raise the possibility of an overhaul of the U.S. intelligence community if leaders are not more forthcoming with their findings, even as national security experts warn of sources and methods being put at risk and Democrats charge Republicans with pushing Russian disinformation to boost President Trump ahead of the 2020 election.

"We want every damn bit of evidence that every intelligence agency has, or it's maybe time to shut those agencies down," the California Republican said on the Fox News show Sunday Morning Futures. "Because, at the end of the day ... our liberties are more important than anything else we have in this country. And they have been stampeded over by these dirty cops."

Nunes and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, another California Republican who also appeared on the show hosted by Maria Bartiromo, both confirmed they have seen underlying evidence to a letter released last week from Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe that said in late July 2016, U.S. intelligence agencies received "insight" into a Russian intelligence analysis alleging that Hillary Clinton, then a candidate for president, approved a campaign plan to "stir up a scandal" against Trump tying him to Russian President Vladimir Putin and the Russians' hacking of the Democratic National Committee.

"Every member of Congress should read the underlying information behind this," McCarthy said. "This is really a bombshell of what we have wasted so much time on, that it was created by Hillary Clinton."

More at: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...illary-clinton
    BURN IT DOWN!

Cue "protester" and Democrat calls to preserve CIA,DIA,NSA just because Republicasn want them dissolved in 4... 3...
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Yes, let's all jump on this with negativity and shut it down instead of taking the opportunity to add momentum to it.
    We can't all line up to suck toes whenever something completely implausible is promised.

For one, they don't have that many toes, and the ones that they do have seem to be getting fellated rather ferociously.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Could this be an 'America First' play for election season... to shut agencies abroad and spend all the money on domestic agencies?
    Doubtful, seeing as how the intelligence agencies do not work for Congress or the American people in the first place. CIA/NSA/etc work for the City of London (bankers..see sig).
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.