Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nine Colorado public highways being sold to foreign toll road firms over the next 12 months

Nine Colorado public highways being sold to foreign toll road firms over the next 12 months

US 36 Privatization 50-Year Contract to be Signed

I-70 in downtown Denver/mountains, C-470 and I-25 from Denver to Ft. Collins are all being privatized and one or more toll lanes added.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Because, you know, libertarians are crazy to think governments aren't needed to build and maintain highways.

They're just needed to sell them to foreigners, that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Sold for enough of a profit that the citizens have agreed to it and will be satisfied with their cut or enough to buy off a politician.

Isn't 470 already a toll road (I have used it visiting family in the Fort Collins area- they removed booths and unless you have a quick pass they take pictures of your license plate and bill you)? If I heard correctly, US 36 is being widened and express lanes added and these express lanes will be toll while the existing lanes will still be free. http://kdvr.com/2014/02/11/debate-on...olls-heats-up/

Plenary Roads Denver is the private company that CDOT contracted to complete the second phase of a $425 million plan to renovate, expand and maintain U.S. 36. The company, which has offices in Australia, Singapore, Canada and the U.S., is currently in the process of building toll lanes running in both directions on the highway.

Under the terms of the current deal, which was originally scheduled to be finalized in the next two weeks, Plenary would be responsible for maintaining U.S. 36 until 2063.

That’s not what has residents and some legislators concerned. What does is that Plenary would also receive all revenues from the toll lanes for the next 50 years under the terms of the current deal.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-11-2014 at 10:02 PM.

Oh no! The evil foreigners might take the roads overseas!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Isn't 470 already a toll road (I have used it visiting family in the Fort Collins area- they removed booths and unless you have a quick pass they take pictures of your license plate and bill you)? If I heard correctly, US 36 is being widened and express lanes added and these express lanes will be toll while the existing lanes will still be free. http://kdvr.com/2014/02/11/debate-on...olls-heats-up/
    Anyone lose property to eminent domain?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

I sort of remember Milton Friedman had a good argument for privatizing things like roads. I think his argument was that they could be run more efficiently.

Now all I can think is another one of the concepts he taught is being taken out of contexts and abused. All his concepts seem to have been to me.

Anyway the thing that sticks in my craw is I'm thinking these roads ran about a million dollars a mile back when a million dollars was a million dollars. That puts the value up around at least 30 million a mile now.

And isn't it odd that we are being squeezed off of all of our publicly held assets. We built it or set this stuff aside to ensure the public use now we are having to pay rent. What's that all about?

It all gets back to a central bank that DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING somehow suckering us into borrowing some of our own nothing and charging us interest.

Has the whole planet went full retard?

Pass the Super Dollar on.
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Eminent Domain is going to be where it is at.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Oh no! The evil foreigners might take the roads overseas!
    Well, maybe just the money from the tolls.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ha ha. Awesome.
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Well, maybe just the money from the tolls.
    Oh no! A foreign company is going to employ American workers to maintain an American road and they have the guts to charge people to use it and aren't giving all the money to the state! How dare they!!!!

Actually this is a US group. They are getting financial backing from Goldman Sachs.

Plenary Roads Denver is a consortium of Plenary Group, Granite Construction, Ames Construction, HDR, Transfield Services and Goldman Sachs.
    http://plenarygroup.com/news-and-med...proponent.html

Just don't pay the toll and tell the foreigners to $#@! off when they try to collect.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Oh no! A foreign company is going to employ American workers to maintain an American road and they have the guts to charge people to use it and aren't giving all the money to the state! How dare they!!!!
    I think 'mericans were already working on the roads, dude.

Ever travel between northern Indiana and Chicago? I hate unkempt toll roads no matter who owns them. Worse than our county back-roads for maintenance.

That's okay, just make 'em all toll roads, then you can throw change all day long...oh wait...buy 14 different passes....or hey, maybe use bitcoin cards...or just add another wifi device, "I'm here!"

Oh, and where's the money going from the sale of the roads, to the taxpayer (who paid for it) or the state?
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 02-11-2014 at 11:18 PM.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Bitcoin as a toll token. Not a bad idea. Could even incorporate anonymous P2P GPS to keep track of whose roads you've used.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

This has already happened in Austin. Hate it.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Just don't pay the toll and tell the foreigners to $#@! off when they try to collect.
    Well, here, they have the city collecting the tolls for them and also doing the enforcement if you do not pay.

Well, here, they dug up a lot of miles of existing road and built a toll road that is very difficult to avoid.

I used to be all for toll roads. Back when I was a child, they worked quite well. But, these toll roads that you use to just get around town are ultra-expensive and the old roads that we already paid for, well, they were torn to $#@!.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 02-11-2014 at 11:26 PM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post
    Bitcoin as a toll token. Not a bad idea. Could even incorporate anonymous P2P GPS to keep track of whose roads you've used.
    Oh man.

The pain.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Colorado should sell its gubmit to furriners .

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Because, you know, libertarians are crazy to think governments aren't needed to build and maintain highways.

They're just needed to sell them to foreigners, that's all.
    The problem is that an infrastructure that was paid for by taxpayers is being sold to private industry so the funds from the sale can pay for some other bottomless pit of social welfare. Still the roads will be subject to govt regulations and the drivers that use them will have to pay gas taxes for their fuel. It surely won't be an improvement or display any new innovation. They've been doing this $#@! with Texas highways for a while. They build a big highway using public funds then sell it to the highest bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    The problem is that an infrastructure that was paid for by taxpayers is being sold to private industry so the funds from the sale can pay for some other bottomless pit of social welfare. Still the roads will be subject to govt regulations and the drivers that use them will have to pay gas taxes for their fuel. It surely won't be an improvement or display any new innovation. They've been doing this $#@! with Texas highways for a while. They build a big highway using public funds then sell it to the highest bidder.
    Correct , it belonged to the people ( who pd for it ) , now being sold.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Correct , it belonged to the people ( who pd for it ) , now being sold.
    Freaking Dope Heads out there.

Just like the sports stadium scam...

-t

Foreigners don't have the right to buy American roads that American's tax dollars paid for to build!

You're such a sycophant for the globalist who hell-bent in destroying America.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Exactly. No refund on the gas used to drive on those roads and the taxes paid on that gas to maintain them when previously owned and operated by the government. Total sham.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My big concern is that the privately expanded lanes would be granted the same eminent domain powers that public roads have.

Our current state of affairs has me convinced that there will be state preference given to the corp in the event of a dispute with a private property owner.

MUH ROADS!

This is a great idea.

So CO legislators get a ton more money to spend, they get to claim they didn't increase taxes, they get to claim they are supporting libertarian loved user-fees... It's such a win for legislators in CO. I'm not sure if it is such a big win for the people though

Looks like hell for commuters. This is about the short trip from Boulder to Denver.
    Round trip from Denver to Boulder will debut at $9 to $12 during peak rush hour when toll lane opens over the next year with the ability to rise to $28 per rush hour round trip.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 02-12-2014 at 10:30 AM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Foreigners don't have the right to buy American roads that American's tax dollars paid for to build!
    Except they didn't buy the road, they won the contract to maintain the road and instead of receiving taxpayer subsidies to maintain it, they'll maintain it using toll revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    You're such a sycophant for the globalist who hell-bent in destroying America.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    So CO legislators get a ton more money to spend, they get to claim they didn't increase taxes, they get to claim they are supporting libertarian loved user-fees... It's such a win for legislators in CO. I'm not sure if it is such a big win for the people though

Looks like hell for commuters. This is about the short trip from Boulder to Denver.
    At that rate , you would have to have a job over median income to afford that and make it even worthwile to travel to and from work , figure around $19 an hour gets you ( with no health ins , no retirement contribution ) around $100 a day after taxes , so you would have to be making more than that to ante up $10 or $30 ea day in addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Actually this is a US group. They are getting financial backing from Goldman Sachs.
    Goldman Sachs owning all the roads? That sounds like a great idea. And when the roads fall apart, the government can bail them out to rebuild them!

Apparently they can't find any Americans with the expertise. It's a job Americans can't do.

Exactly. And they'll be adding the mileage tax too.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast