Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [Video] Rand Paul on Real Time with Bill Maher 11/14/14

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    But in this interview he said that he supports ending the war on drugs, but he's never said that he supports legalizing marijuana. So he must not view "ending the war on drugs" as being the same thing as "legalizing marijuana." Maybe he just meant "end the federal war on drugs and send the issue back to the states," or "stop the mass incarceration of non violent drug offenders."

http://reason.com/blog/2013/05/13/ra...cals-that-he-d
    So let me see if I understand you. Unless Rand supports passing a law saying that all states must legalize marijuana that's not good enough? Seriously? Never in the history of the U.S. has the federal government every passed a law saying that states must legalize the use of any particular substance. When prohibition of alcohol was repealed states still could choose to be dry if they really really want to do so.

By the way, I clicked on your link. Just another "reason" not to trust reason.com. I'm surprised you of all people can't see through this. From "reason".com.

“He made it very clear that he does not support legalization of drugs like marijuana and that he supports traditional marriage,” [said Brad Sherman of the Solid Rock Christian Church in Coralville, Iowa].

Since when is Brad Sherman a spokesman for Rand Paul? What Rand actually said.

“I’m not advocating everyone go out and run around with no clothes on and smoke pot,” [Rand] said. “I’m not a libertarian. I’m a libertarian Republican. I’m a constitutional conservative.”

Rand never said "And I think marijuana should remain illegal". Now here's where "reason" got tripped up.

Paul said he believes in freedom and wants a “virtuous society” where people practice “self-restraint.” Yet he believes in laws and limits as well. Instead of advocating for legalized drugs, for example, he pushes for reduced penalties for many drug offenses.

So Rand goes to a conservative event, says "I'm not for smoking pot" then goes around and talks about how prisons are overcrowded and we should at least reduce penalties. Great! The inclusion of the one does not mean the exclusion of the other. Yes, first things first, reduce penalties for drug offenses. But the "war on drugs" will continue until there are no federal drug penalties. So saying "I'm for ending the drug war" = complete drug decriminalization.

It's just like Rand talking about "carbon emissions having increased since the industrial revolution". Cool. But he never said "And so I accept the position of Al Gore that CO2 emissions are causing global warming." But someone could twist the Bill Maher interview to say that the same way "Reason" is twisting what happened at the Value Voters summit into "Rand really doesn't want to end the war on drugs".

And note that the Reason article itself is refuting your position. It's title is "Rand Paul "Assures" Evangelicals That He Doesn't Want to End the Drug War". But you're claiming that ending the war on drugs is somehow different from decriminalizing drugs.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 11-17-2014 at 09:54 AM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Like I mentioned above, I don't think he would have promoted ending the war on drugs on such a public platform if he wasn't 100% ready to defend that position and turn it into a winner.

And you are correct, "end the war on drugs" <> "legalize drugs". He has said before (like his father) that it should be treated like a medical issue. And coincidentally enough this "dea raids nfl teams" thing comes up at just the right time for him to promote the thought his father promoted that the war on drugs is a war on doctors.
    You cannot end the federal war on drugs without de facto legalization of drugs at the federal level. I'm not sure what some of you are wanting Rand to say.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    So let me see if I understand you. Unless Rand supports passing a law saying that all states must legalize marijuana that's not good enough? Seriously? Never in the history of the U.S. has the federal government every passed a law saying that states must legalize the use of any particular substance. When prohibition of alcohol was repealed states still could choose to be dry if they really really want to do so.
    No, I'm saying that in the past he's said that he doesn't support laws like the one in Colorado that legalize marijuana. Now he's saying that he wants to "end the war on drugs." So if we're going to assume that he hasn't changed his past position, then Rand's claim that he wants to "end the war on drugs" doesn't mean that he endorses state efforts to completely legalize all drugs.

You cannot end the federal war on drugs without de facto legalization of drugs at the federal level. I'm not sure what some of you are wanting Rand to say.
    Is there not a difference between legalization and decriminalization? I look at legalize as regulate and arguably "approve". Whereas I see ending the war on drugs as more of a deregulation at the federal level or no opinion. Or Return it to the state level as you said. I think we pretty much agree here.

No, I'm saying that in the past he's said that he doesn't support laws like the one in Colorado that legalize marijuana.
    A) Where has he said that? He didn't say that in that stupid Reason article you posted which actually refutes your position.
    B) As president what the hell difference does that make? A president doesn't have veto power of Colorado law. All a president can do is to override it by federal law.

Now he's saying that he wants to "end the war on drugs." So if we're going to assume that he hasn't changed his past position, then Rand's claim that he wants to "end the war on drugs" doesn't mean that he endorses state efforts to completely legalize all drugs.
    Again, why the hell should he? He's not running for governor of Colorado.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    my concern is not so much what "end the war on drugs" means to folks like you and I but rather how the average low-information voter will comprehend that.

Is there not a difference between legalization and decriminalization? I look at legalize as regulate and arguably "approve". Whereas I see ending the war on drugs as more of a deregulation at the federal level or no opinion. Or Return it to the state level as you said. I think we pretty much agree here.
    Rand holds federal office (U.S. Senator) not state office. Rand is running for federal office (U.S. President) not state office. If California and Oregon both legalized drugs and even if the federal government actually followed the constitution, the federal government could still arrest people for transporting drugs across state lines. So for Rand to "end the war on drugs", drugs would have to be defacto legalized at the federal level. Where I live there was a referendum on whether or not grocery stores should be able to sell wine. Should Rand have issued an opinion on that as well?

A) Where has he said that? He didn't say that in that stupid Reason article you posted which actually refutes your position.
    B) As president what the hell difference does that make? A president doesn't have veto power of Colorado law. All a president can do is to override it by federal law.

Again, why the hell should he? He's not running for governor of Colorado.
    I'm not suggesting that he say anything different than he's been saying. I'm not criticizing him. I'm just making the point that when Rand says "end the war on drugs," he's not advocating the outright legalization of all drugs at the state level.

He's said that he doesn't endorse state marijuana legalization efforts many times. I've heard him say that on Hannity's radio show.

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    my concern is not so much what "end the war on drugs" means to folks like you and I but rather how the average low-information voter will comprehend that.
    Most Americans are ready to end the war on drugs.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/2014/...-end-war-drugs

He's said that he doesn't endorse state marijuana legalization efforts many times. I've heard him say that on Hannity's radio show.
    Did he ever say he was against such efforts? If not....non issue.

Rand holds federal office (U.S. Senator) not state office. Rand is running for federal office (U.S. President) not state office. If California and Oregon both legalized drugs and even if the federal government actually followed the constitution, the federal government could still arrest people for transporting drugs across state lines. So for Rand to "end the war on drugs", drugs would have to be defacto legalized at the federal level. Where I live there was a referendum on whether or not grocery stores should be able to sell wine. Should Rand have issued an opinion on that as well?
    I'm not sure what your point is. I don't think eliminating federal laws against drugs is the same as legalizing. I see it as deregulation or the federal government having no opinion on it just as I hope they have no opinion on a rose bush. But feel free to nitpick.

Although in reality, the more I think about it that's probably not what Randal meant. When pushed on this issue, I suspect he will push an agenda of decriminalization instead of federal legalization or returning to the state level and ending any federal involvement. which wont make the hardcore drug-legalization proponents happy; but I think would be a huge improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I can see where these things might appeal to libertarians and maybe some liberals in a general election but how do they play with the Republicans that he has to win over to get the nomination in the primary?
    I think what anaconda wrote has some merit with regard to your excellent question.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I am hoping what we're seeing Rand is selling his ideas incrementally so that they can be successfully assimilated by the masses and the media.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For now, all that needs to be considered are Bill Maher's avid viewers, which was the whole point of taking this interview, I'd imagine.

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

Decriminalization is not legalization, just sayin. Maybe that's gonna be his angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    Decriminalization is not legalization, just sayin. Maybe that's gonna be his angle.
    Decriminalization ties in much better with his other issues of restoring voting rights, eliminating mandatory minimums, and treating drugs as a medical issue.
    Rather than legalization which I think many people would interpret as approval.

I'm not sure what your point is. I don't think eliminating federal laws against drugs is the same as legalizing. I see it as deregulation or the federal government having no opinion on it just as I hope they have no opinion on a rose bush. But feel free to nitpick.

Although in reality, the more I think about it that's probably not what Randal meant. When pushed on this issue, I suspect he will push an agenda of decriminalization instead of federal legalization or returning to the state level and ending any federal involvement. which wont make the hardcore drug-legalization proponents happy; but I think would be a huge improvement.
    Do you think of the end of prohibition as the legalization of alcohol or just deregulation? My point is that the only legalization that can be done at the federal level is what you're calling "deregulation". Okay. Fine. Really I don't see what your point is. Rand isn't running for governor.

Decriminalization ties in much better with his other issues of restoring voting rights, eliminating mandatory minimums, and treating drugs as a medical issue.
    Okay. I think I see you're point. Rand's not going to make a "legalize freedom" comment like Ron did and that's a good thing.

Yeah, I prefer the term "decriminalization" to "legalization". Legalization has both the connotation of approval, and of regulation.

IMHO, marijuana should be "regulated" similar to tomatoes. People can grow them, give them to neighbors. If they are sold or commercially farmed, then there are a few more rules (exact same laws as tomatoes). If they are transported over Borders (State or international), then there can be a variety of additional rules (once again, should be the exact same rules for both tomatoes and marijuana). Standard agricultural product rules apply.

End the war on drugs? Absolutely, it's nothing but a counter-productive, expensive, liberty and Constitution destroying boondoggle.

Endorse drugs? Hell no. It should be a medical issue. The surgeon general should oversee a (very inexpensive) program that educates about side effects, adverse reactions, long term health effects, addiction and recovery for all drugs.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Rand Paul on Why He Keeps Going Where No Other Republican Will Go

Rand Paul on Why He Keeps Going Where No Other Republican Will Go
    by Andrew Kirell - November 16th, 2014

...Upon review, the past year has seen Sen. Paul visiting college campuses normally seen as hotbeds of hostility to the Republican Party; holding engagement sessions with black leaders and inner-city groups normally wary of the conservative message; and meeting with Silicon Valley entrepreneurs, despite the tech industry’s overwhelming preference for liberal politicians.

It’s all part of a strategy to bring the senator’s libertarian strand of conservatism to anyone who will listen. “Reaching out and engaging new audiences remains a priority to me,” Paul told Mediaite.

Such engagement has proved fruitful for the senator. His March speech at UC Berkeley, which mostly focused on government spying, resulted in a standing ovation from a packed auditorium at a school known for its political liberalism. And in April, when Paul spoke at Harvard University, his own ex-rival Trey Grayson (then-director of the school’s Institute of Politics) introduced him as “without question the Republican who best connects with millennial voters across the country.”

On top of that, Rand Paul was also the only nationally-elected Republican to address the National Urban League conference this July. He went above and beyond his party — and even most Democrats — by attending a “listening session” with local activists, pastors, and black leaders last month in the turmoil-wracked city of Ferguson, Mo.

Such active attempts to hold court with black voters is why when the Republicans opened an engagement office in inner-city Detroit, they tapped Paul to headline the event.

Perhaps the most astonishing part is that he’s the only Republican to do all of the above while also winning the Conservative Political Action Conference’s presidential straw poll and helping a dozen GOP candidates get elected or re-elected to the Senate, including his own fellow Kentuckian in Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

While Paul has yet to declare a run for president, he maintains that his current trend of outreach is in the interest of the party itself, supplanting his own.

“I continue to believe that the Republican Party needs to become a bigger, better and bolder party in order to compete and win nationally,” he told Mediaite. “From UC Berkeley to Detroit and from Bill Maher’s show to Silicon Valley, I will continue to do my part in expanding our brand.”
    More: http://www.mediaite.com/online/rand-...lican-will-go/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I think the issue is worthy of scientific debate.

The science is settled!

Name:  B2lJ4OPCYAERTcD.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  58.7 KB

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    For now, all that needs to be considered are Bill Maher's avid viewers, which was the whole point of taking this interview, I'd imagine.
    in the short term its obviously a big plus but remember that anything Rand says to Bill Maher now can and will be broadcast on-loop to an entirely different audience at some point.

Typically, when I see someone on a show, they usually get the courtesy of posting the content. Unfortunately, it seems like someone has reported Rand (HBO?). Someone who might not be fan. Pretty sh!tty, whoever did that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw-rGG9QvXQ

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Typically, when I see someone on a show, they usually get the courtesy of posting the content. Unfortunately, it seems like someone has reported Rand (HBO?). Someone who might not be fan. Pretty sh!tty, whoever did that.
    In HBO's defense, It's a little different with them versus other networks because they're not ad-based. When you post a video on youtube from Fox News, for instance, Fox has the option to simply claim the ad revenue for that video instead of taking it down. This is fine with them, to a degree, because all they do on their own site is collect ad revenue. But HBO relies on people paying for channel subscriptions, so the value of the content is not merely the content itself but its ability to motivate you to pay for *the entire channel*.
    Last edited by economics102; 11-17-2014 at 10:33 PM.

i was surprised to hear Rand say that he wants to end the war on drugs. It's great that he took such a strong stand but it will be played on loop during his primary attack ads.
    I would say...

How can we win the war on drugs if we can't even keep drugs like cocaine and heroine out of super maximum prisons?

i was surprised to hear Rand say that he wants to end the war on drugs. It's great that he took such a strong stand but it will be played on loop during his primary attack ads.
    Further surprising when he, just a moment later, described sentencing being 6 or 12 months instead of 10 years or longer. So drugs would still be illegal, and police would need to arrest and jail people for using them. Really weird - from a tactical perspective - to say you want to end the war on drugs and then propose that said war continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by economics102 View Post
    In HBO's defense, It's a little different with them versus other networks because they're not ad-based. When you post a video on youtube from Fox News, for instance, Fox has the option to simply claim the ad revenue for that video instead of taking it down. This is fine with them, to a degree, because all they do on their own site is collect ad revenue. But HBO relies on people paying for channel subscriptions, so the value of the content is not merely the content itself but its ability to motivate you to pay for *the entire channel*.
    True - still kind of odd/suspicious though given all the John Oliver monologues/clips that get posted to YouTube (though perhaps Oliver has it written into his contract that clips from his show can be shared/re-posted online)?
    Last edited by WD-NY; 11-18-2014 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WD-NY View Post
    True - still kind of odd/suspicious though given all the John Oliver monologues/clips that get posted to YouTube (though perhaps Oliver has it written into his contract that clips from his show can be shared/re-posted online)?
    That's different, if you read up on Last Week Tonight's marketing strategy, HBO took a deliberate (and unconventional, for them) tack of making those clips available on youtube to try to build an audience for the show. Those youtube clips are released on the show's official channel.

Bill Maher's show, by contrast, already has an audience and is one of the many shows that motivates people to keep paying for HBO.

Of course, everything I just said is a bit dated because Last Week Tonight has, incredibly, already been successful in building an audience that slightly exceeds the 4 million viewers Bill Maher gets.

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Not sure why the clip that was tweeted no longer works.

The one in the OP seems to be up still:

Quote Originally Posted by economics102 View Post

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234