Thread: Turn-key tyranny: a list of how our government can abuse the spy programs

Turn-key tyranny: a list of how our government can abuse the spy programs

So I've been reading a lot about what the programs do and all about Ed Snowden, but I've read very little about what Snowden feared would happen if the programs don't stop; "turn-key tyranny".

Let's discuss all the possible ways (its going to be a long list) the NSA/government could abuse this program.

Here's what I have so far:

• A threat to a free press: The programs could be used to silence journalists through blackmail, one must ask if Watergate would have been exposed if Nixon had access to Prism/phone call monitoring?
    • A threat to our democracy: the information could be used to expose dirt or medical records of would-be representatives.
    • The programs could be used to track all public opinion in the country, giving unfair advantages to elected representatives.
    • NSA agents can track all major business deals, allowing a nefarious government to attempt playing God in the private sector.
    • Along the same lines: NSA/government agents can sell information about secret business deals to competitors.
    • As Snowden noted, the programs could be mistakenly or intentionally used by the NSA to persecute an innocent person-- over a long period of time anyone can be made out to be a wrongdoer.
    Last edited by VoluntaryAmerican; 08-28-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.