09-13-2016, 12:14 AM
That's the plebe-tier leftist analysis. Saddam (along with Gaddafi and Asad) wanted to buck the petrodollar and the entangled alliances between the states in Asia, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East were/are the only thing standing in the way an Americanism that controls the globe. As Moldbug said, there are three truly sovereign states on Earth today: China, Russia, and the "international community". Once you can substitute the word "global" in that last one, their work is done.
A realpolitik, classical imperialist policy on Iraq would go as follows:
1. Crush the Iraqi military with overwhelming force.
2. Go to the Baathists who are willing to play ball and offer them power under the new regime. I doubt too many of them were genuinely loyal to Saddam. Those who are, die.
3. Attempt to recreate the structure of government under Saddam as quickly as possible after the conflict ends, including the secret police.
4. Make it clear that although the Baathists will be given power, that suppression of Shiites by Sunni Muslims will no longer be tolerated so as not to create an insurgency. Shiites are to be allowed into the new government. Anyone who attempts to inflame sectarian conflict will be executed and their property seized.
5. Immediately start working out oil rights to enrich the US, while giving a cut to the Iraqis to keep the economy somewhat decent and the newly-created state happy.
6. Above all, NO DEMOCRACY!