Tab Content
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-23-2018, 07:53 AM
    And is not giving SNAP and/or Section 8 to working people an intervention that distorts the labor market? There was a time--I remember it--when full time workers were not eligible for such benefits. There's yet another case of conservatives shooting conservatism in the foot. If people who don't work deserve it, how is it that people who do work don't deserve it? That's just a dog whistle argument for corporate welfare. If a person can work sixty hours a week and have to choose between being homeless and eating, or having shelter and starving, that person is not going to do that job. The only reason these people do these jobs is because the taxpayer is picking up the slack. Which means the taxpayer is enabling the CEO and the stockholders to pocket more. Yes, of course the CEO is going to do that, if the taxpayers are dumb enough to put up with it, and the stockholders won't complain either. There's nothing free market about it. People owing their souls to the company store, people working for a wage which doesn't allow them to meet their basic necessities for survival, does not happen in a free market. It does not happen. People do not work for the right to starve to death. Suggesting such a thing is 'free market' is laughable. The State is intervening in the labor transaction to Amazon's benefit. And Amazon is using political clout to ensure it continues. They are paying politicians with money that should be going to their employees. The labor market is distorted. If the State weren't making it possible for Amazon employees to survive, they would leave the company and find a way to survive. To say that libertarians should defend Amazon because it's an enterprise is laughable. When the corporations are in bed with the politicians, you have fascism, and fascism is no more free market than socialism. And the more libertarians babble about how enterprises are good no matter what--even to the point of winking at obvious distortions of markets and turning a blind eye to fascism--the less people looking for the answers the media obviously isn't giving them will look to libertarians for those answers.
    163 replies | 1632 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-22-2018, 10:03 AM
    So why no tariff on wood? It's a perfect way to troll liberals. Do liberals support a tariff that preserves CO2-absorbing forests, or do liberals support the myth that English Socialists (IngSoc) are always right about everything? Or does Trump only troll conservatives?
    14 replies | 210 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-21-2018, 08:24 AM
    What? A person of color harmed by the federal government while a Democrat occupied the White House? Can that happen? This guy should be the libertarian mascot. This is what faith in the Feds can do for you.
    2 replies | 184 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-21-2018, 08:14 AM
    Bridenstein was out in any case. He went up there and did his best, and got attack ads for his trouble. He went to Washington an ex-Navy pilot and still convinced American policy in the Middle East still made sense, and figuring the Powers that Be would surely have no problem with an ex-sailor, and a few good votes got him attacked. He got reelected anyway--handily--but you could tell by the 2016 state convention that he was finally getting a whiff of the odor all about him. He'd already had enough of Congress. It'll be interesting to see if being a bureaucrat suits him better. At least it's not a committee. The chain of command might suit him better. Yes, I heartily endorse Nathan! Anyone looking to make a Liberty contribution for the 2018 midterms could do no better than invest in Dahm for Congress! Help us trade a decent representative for a great one! http://www.nathandahm.com/
    11 replies | 236 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-18-2018, 03:14 PM
    Should have attached a poll: o The Fed did it by accident. o The Fed did it on purpose.
    8 replies | 239 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-18-2018, 03:10 PM
    LawnWake has a point. The problem is, libertarians are painted as being unfeeling wonks because we get to the heart of matters which are costing the poor. The liberals say 'I feel your pain' and 'Have some free stuff,' and those who have difficulty thinking bite. We tell them how they've gotten to the point where a day's pay doesn't make ends meet and how regulation has caused the prices of this and that to skyrocket, and they just get confused and/or bored. And when we say we're working all this out because we care about people, our comments get deleted from 99% of the world's websites. It takes some broadcast wattage to get our own propaganda out there. We were just getting good at it when Google demonetized us and shoved us down to page 17,452 on the search engine. The internet was nice while it was free, but they couldn't tolerate that. And now we're back to shouting from rooftops.
    24 replies | 1882 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-18-2018, 02:50 PM
    Now, see, there's where you and 99% of this forum differ. You think it's a lark having your grandparents spend you into insurmountable debt before you're born and leaving you to spend your life paying it back. Whereas many of us were in on that spending spree back in the day, we see what it's doing to the economy, we know there will be a day of reckoning, and even though we may not be around to see it, we actually love our children enough that we hate the fact. We opposed this lunacy back when it was actually benefitting us, and we hate it now. You say, gee, we can keep rolling this stuff over forever and ever. But first interest accumulates, and then interest gets charged on interest, and then it mushrooms. And we don't have faith in a bunch of short-sighted politicians who can't see past their next election to manage it. You say anyone can get all the raises they need to keep up with dollar devaluation, or at least you can and you could give damn-all for anyone else. There's another place you and most of us disagree. If you want to hang around, you're just going to have to learn to agree to disagree with the overwhelming majority of us on these things. Perhaps you heard someone say libertarians don't give a fig about their fellow man, so you thought you'd find lots of like-minded souls here. Sorry to disappoint you, but much of what we do we do because we can actually see how the poor got poorer, and we don't like it. He's the one treating this topic as a legal and moral issue with real-world consequences for real people. You're treating it as some kind of interesting mental exercise. Tell us again who is, and who isn't, being serious.
    46 replies | 1472 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-18-2018, 11:53 AM
    An airplane with half its engines is an underpowered airplane. An airplane with none of its engines (as opposed to a glider, which is not the same thing) is a brick. That's, like, physics. Bringing down a brick without killing anyone is a slightly more remarkable achievement. Pilots bring down aircraft with one engine out often. None of them have gotten the attention Sullenberger got--regardless of race, creed, color or gender.
    45 replies | 589 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-18-2018, 11:30 AM
    It's amazing that CSPAN isn't getting scrubbed clean the way YouTube is. I like the "false profits" phrase. How is it possible that people put up with being charged capital 'gains' taxes on investments which do not gain, but merely hold their actual value? Bottom line.
    62 replies | 8767 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-18-2018, 10:44 AM
    Cutting down old growth trees, which absorb carbon dioxide and turns it into oxygen, instead of leaving them standing and doing their thing and burning coal instead. Is this another example of legislation merely having unintended consequences, as all legislation does? Or is this... ...? Because even liberals can't be this stupid. This debacle must be serving someone's interest. It's too obviously counterproductive to possibly be an accident caused by well-meaning fools.
    14 replies | 210 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-18-2018, 08:23 AM
    Well, first he said what happens after the bond is created, and now he has said what happens before the bond is created. You didn't get your question answered, but you got a nice pair of bookends.
    46 replies | 1472 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    2 replies | 148 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-17-2018, 08:51 PM
    Which government? De Soto Parish, Louisiana? Of course existing FRNs can be spent.
    46 replies | 1472 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-17-2018, 08:11 PM
    So, correlation equals causation? Or did debts generally get paid back during good times, and do good times generally end in recessions? So, is the fact that after the Great Depression, politicians grew leery of using the world, and coined the world 'recession', mean something? Anything at all? The less you actually say, the sillier you get. So, you're telling us debt is good. It creates liquidity, right? So, is your model sustainable? How much can the government sell, in the end? Is there a limit to the market for U.S. government debt? What happens when that market is sated? I know you think the market for U.S. government debt is inexhaustible, but humor me on this one: If the government is forced to choose between restricting liquidity by living within its means and trying to pump and dump its own debt on the world market, which do you recommend?
    73 replies | 1376 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    43 replies | 637 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-17-2018, 04:21 PM
    You're painting the people on this forum with a broad brush. You've also been here far too long to be perpetuating the myth that there is no middle ground between forcing the use of a fiat currency and establishing a gold standard. And we've had constant banking panics since. 1919. 1929-1932-for a freaking decade. 1958. 1973 for nearly another decade. 1987. 2008 for yet another decade (don't go all Zippy on me and tell me the recessions didn't last that long--a modest amount of growth after falling into the bargain basement does not a recovery make). The fiat has not done one single solitary thing to prevent them, and has generally lengthened the recovery time greatly after they hit. So?
    73 replies | 1376 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-17-2018, 01:34 PM
    So, you're saying the banks don't loan the government money, the government sells banks its debt. Now, tell us how that doesn't, as a purely practical matter, amount to splitting hairs. Splitting hairs is a wonderful thing. You aren't lying. But the casual observer can sure look at your statement, and come away believing something that isn't true. That sure is handy, isn't it?
    46 replies | 1472 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-17-2018, 01:29 PM
    Bad guess. Whatever did I say to lead you to that? Here's a quick test: Does advocating for sound money sound like an argument for what you just guessed? True. They're safe enough so far, they almost keep up with inflation, and almost any idiot can do it, and has enough sense to do it. Almost. So why don't you tell me what's the matter with sound money?
    73 replies | 1376 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-17-2018, 12:28 PM
    LOL Since whether or not the person deserved it is in the eye of the beholder, I doubt there's an answer to that question. The point is, once upon a time even an idiot could save. Now, however, being an idiot is reason enough to "deserve" being fleeced. That's the sort of attitude which has led to people winking at this fiat money. Who does it hurt but morons? Therefore, even if it does hurt me, I can't admit it because I'll be admitting to being a moron. Hearing Republicans say these things is one thing. But it's really funny to hear liberals, who set such store in being compassionate toward idiots, defend the Fed using the same 'deserves it' logic. It's a tribute to the Fed's propaganda program over the decades that they get such a bipartisan defense. And I'm not even taking into account the bubbles this rubber currency has helped inflate, and the people who have been hurt when they popped. Much less what could come if it does happen to collapse. It may not be guaranteed to happen, but when you play with fire... This is the bedrock upon which a true civilization can be built? Or is this the "morality" which is leading to the fall of an empire?
    73 replies | 1376 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-17-2018, 11:52 AM
    Who cares? Q is just a distraction. He's just a Nostradamus being so vague that he's not worth a damn. He won't give us news we can use, but he'll sure distract us from what we know needs to be done. To hell with him.
    13 replies | 215 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-17-2018, 11:47 AM
    He's just pulling a Beck. Just another tool trying to regain his tattered credibility so he will again be believed when the next election comes around, because without credibility he can't betray us again. And, of course, you're doing all you can to help. Better you should make the investment in your own tattered credibility. You haven't cussed Trump enough to convince me yet.
    20 replies | 367 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-17-2018, 11:43 AM
    How many times have I seen voters who sprung for the horse race leader in the primaries, and the lesser evil in the general, clinging to this or that issue and saying, 'At least he hasn't betrayed us on this yet,' like freezing people clinging to bits of the Titanic's fancy woodwork? There has never been a moment of my life when those people were not all around me.
    107 replies | 2380 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-17-2018, 11:11 AM
    Because he, she or they want to have wiser, more loyal, less distracted, longer term, more invested, and happier people on the workforce than the competition has. And at the end of the day, people get fleeced. They either lose value to devaluation, they get taxed for capital gains when their stores of value maintain (not gain, merely maintain) value, or they get fleeced (at least from time to time, at least in brokerage fees) by insiders in the stock market. You seem to be saying this is desirable. What is desirable about it? Other than some vague fears about there being an insufficient amount of something or another to handle all the transactions of a thriving economy (and even you must admit that they will get the job done, but demand raising their value will just lead to smaller amounts being used), where is the catastrophe that lurks down that road? You keep saying the system has troubles, but the only thing worse is any alternative. But you aren't saying what makes the alternatives worse. We've said some of the things that make alternatives better. What makes the alternatives worse? If repealing the legal tender laws won't make a difference, then can you say why they don't get repealed?
    73 replies | 1376 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-17-2018, 11:08 AM
    Considering the Trump campaign coined the catchphrase, "Make America Great Again," and people will forever associate the two, this business of talking about the "MAGA Movement" having a life of its own above and beyond Trump is simply a propaganda trick. It's a way of giving Trump credit for things Trump did not do. Trump tapped an existing attitude, rode it long enough to get elected, then threw the people he was pandering to under the bus. How does this justify essentially renaming the existing movement he manipulated slightly and rode for a little while like a surfer after him? Why are you here trying to give Trump credit for something he did not do? Why are you here, of all places, trying to give Trump credit for things he did not do when the people here know better than anyone how little Trump had to do with this new wave of thought?
    20 replies | 367 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-17-2018, 09:30 AM
    This is corporate welfare. Who put U.S. taxpayers on the hook for enabling ExxonMobil to survey hostile waters? What do U.S. taxpayers get out of it?
    16 replies | 418 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-17-2018, 08:53 AM
    And if you were getting part of your pay in metal and part in FRNs, and enough of both to set some by, and the stock market was fluctuating wildly enough at the moment to make you nervous, which would you spend and which would you sit on?
    73 replies | 1376 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-17-2018, 08:26 AM
    Oh, sure. Suddenly this thread doesn't get bumped any more. Let forum slide have it. What we have here is the recipe for Swamp Republicans, and how Washington gets filled with RINOs. We have to limit the damage. We have to worry about the horse race rhetoric. We have to nominate the most electable Republican. But Republican primary voters have no idea what independent voters will vote for in the general election. If they did, they'd never have nominated Romney. If they did, they'd never have nominated McCain. If they did, they'd surely never have nominated Bob Dole. And they'd never have nominated the clown that was such a bad candidate, it took the Electoral College to install him over the Wicked Witch of the West. Seriously. The Democrat Superdelegates nominated the Wicked Witch of the West, and it took the Electoral College to defeat her. Every poll indicated beyond a shadow of a doubt that Rand Paul would have kicked her dog ass all the way back to Little Rock, and dumped her in the Arkansas River to boot. Every theoretical matchup poll indicated it would have been a landslide. Every one of them. Republicans congratulate themselves for having the sense not to trust the mainstream media. The only thing is, they do trust the mainstream media. They just think the mainstream media is trustworthy if it comes to them not over the television, but over AM radio. They think the mainstream media is trustworthy if it pretends not to be, like this goofball who YouTube said they were going to ban, but did not actually ban. How many clues does it take before Republicans figure these things out? A million? A billion? AM radio is the mainstream media. It may be a different flavor which doesn't taste the same, but it supports the same status quo. How obvious is that? Not obvious enough to awaken Republican primary voters. Independent voters appreciate things about conservatives that Republican primary voters do not see or understand. How obvious is that? Doesn't matter. Even in the face of a dozen polls showing that someone like Ron Paul can do the best job of stomping a Democrat in the general election, Republicans will still bite on the horse race rhetoric and fall in line. The fact that there will be only one Republican candidate in the general election, and independent general election voters will never, ever care about any of the Republican candidates except the one who gets nominated, and the press will no longer be able to ignore the Republican nominee once he or she is nominated, never enters their consciousness.
    107 replies | 2380 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-17-2018, 06:13 AM
    It was a flip flop. He promised to do everything and to not do everything. This business of people wailing and gnashing their teeth because, like dannno, they only believed what they wanted to hear, and like dannno, they're getting their noses rubbed in the stuff they didn't want. It's humorous. It's a minor silver lining on a very dark cloud. But it is humorous.
    20 replies | 367 view(s)
  • acptulsa's Avatar
    04-16-2018, 06:30 PM
    1. The Soviets were trying to build a natural gas pipeline across it to the Caspian, and now Russia can't do that. 2. It's about the only thing on Iran's eastern border which is neither in Russia's orbit, nor Pakistan. 3. Aren't the poppies enough all by themselves? We are talking about the CIA after all.
    5 replies | 183 view(s)
More Activity

37 Visitor Messages

  1. View Conversation
    Hiya!
  2. View Conversation
    I saw you tried to pm me, so I cleared some space for ya. I'll be out of the office for a while, but see you in the by and by. Prolly in 2 hours or so. ~hugs~
  3. View Conversation
    O I C
  4. View Conversation
    Say wut? I didn't get what you wrote there.
  5. View Conversation
    I forgive you.
  6. just so you know, when a thread is started in the guest subforum (even by a member) it has to be approved before its publicly seen, so Yes I Am A Liberal is telling the truth
  7. View Conversation
    Since when is the "We got a badass over here" meme "gay"? It's been all over the interwebz for many moons and it's used by all sorts of folks. There are several samples in the various "bestest picture thread evarrr"-s.
  8. The reason I have no use for monarchies is it's complete pot luck what you get. If your generation gets a Victoria, you could be in worse shape (assuming her advisors aren't lying to her about what they're doing), but if you get an Ivan the Terrible you're screwed. I prefer a system that at least holds out hope for nonviolent revolution, whether people are generally smart enough to use it or not.

    And I'm pretty sure you meant neither Bismarck nor the kaiser.

    Chancellor von Bismarck
    President von Hindenburg
  9. Bismarck
    Hindenburg

    That help get the rust out of your history? 'Cause those who get rusty on history are liable to re-live the bad parts...
  10. View Conversation
    You're right, I should have said the Kaiser, not Bismarck. :/ (My WWI history is rather rusty...I do remember Hitler suffered from mustard gas inhalation during that war and a bunch of other factoids) Yeah, monarchs have been somewhat fascist in certain occasions, but they always had incentive not to destroy their subjects' economy or their own respective societies as presidents and prime ministers or even legislators do. (such elected officials almost always leave office very wealthy and almost never face justice for their misdeeds) Generally speaking, the best to worst scale goes- voluntary association with government>hereditary monarchy>monarchy>classical republicanism>modern constitutionalism>democracy etc.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 37
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
About acptulsa

Basic Information

Profile Sidebar Configuration

Profile Sidebar Configuration

Activist Reputation (Self-Rated):
1

Signature


'It ain't what we don't know that hurts us, it's what we "know" that ain't so.'--Will Rogers

'I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag.'--Molly Ivins

Statistics


Total Posts
Total Posts
44,545
Posts Per Day
11.83
Visitor Messages
Total Messages
37
Most Recent Message
08-18-2017 05:47 AM
General Information
Last Activity
Yesterday 02:58 PM
Join Date
01-02-2008
Referrals
0

40 Friends

  1. asimplegirl asimplegirl is offline

    Member

    asimplegirl
  2. AxXiom AxXiom is offline

    Member

    AxXiom
  3. Brick-in-the-Wall
  4. cajuncocoa cajuncocoa is offline

    Banned

    cajuncocoa
  5. CapitalistSooner CapitalistSooner is offline

    New Member

    CapitalistSooner
  6. cheapseats cheapseats is offline

    Banned

    cheapseats
  7. DamianTV DamianTV is offline

    Member

    DamianTV
  8. Deborah K Deborah K is offline

    Member

    Deborah K
  9. DGambler DGambler is offline

    Member

    DGambler
  10. Dr.3D Dr.3D is online now

    Member

    Dr.3D
Showing Friends 1 to 10 of 40
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
View acptulsa's Blog

Recent Entries

Partisan and Conquered

by acptulsa on 07-02-2017 at 08:46 AM
Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
So, you take a sniff, mistake an anti-Fed argument for a minimum wage argument, and jump off board? Do you think victims of inflation and the systematic destruction of manufacturing jobs should be stripped of the right to vote, but corporations should get to vote even though they are things, not people? You say government is the problem, not the corporations, but I don't see you acknowledging who or what it is that is paying the lobbyists to make the particular bribes they make.

Read More

Categories
Uncategorized

We Need the Police Because...

by acptulsa on 06-15-2016 at 10:08 AM
Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
Hat tip to Suzanimal for the following:

Quote Originally Posted by The Daily Mail
Did a delay in response give the gunman more time? Cops face questions over why it took three hours for SWAT teams to storm Orlando nightclub as police chief admits officers may have shot some of the VICTIMS

...Police Chief John Mina has also admitted that some of the victims may have been hit by officers' gun fire.

However he insisted it is a part of the investigation into the horrific attack.

He

Read More

Categories
Uncategorized

We're So Lucky to Have Such Great Choices

by acptulsa on 09-23-2012 at 10:16 AM
Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
I just can't decide who to vote for in the presidential race. They're both just so perfect! I can't believe it. Things are just going so well I never considered firing the president, but this Romney guy is just such a temptation!

Romney promises us more war. Obama promised us just the opposite, but that's ok, because he saw Dubya's two wars and raised us three police actions. I think that's a wonderful thing, and can't wait for the next one. I heard somewhere that with six you

Read More

Categories
Uncategorized

Intercity Passenger Rail

by acptulsa on 09-23-2012 at 10:14 AM
Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
Once upon a time, there was a thing called the Interstate Commerce Commission. It was founded to prevent kamikaze capitalism amongst railroads in a day when their efficiencies and primitive technology pretty much guaranteed them a monopoly in viable transportation.

The best thing Reagan did, in my opinion, and the one time I felt some hope for a moment that he would prove to be the libertarian he claimed to be, was when he abolished this bureau. But it was a decade too late to save

Read More

Categories
Uncategorized

Who are you mad at really?

by acptulsa on 06-26-2011 at 08:29 AM
Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
'What your daddy did to you was abuse.'

'How dare you talk that way about my daddy?!'

What has it to do with politics? Everything. Politicians piss us off, then try to misdirect our anger 'across the aisle' to people who are fundamentally exactly the same, but wear a different party label. The game is age old, but still works.

People are angry, but they are often in denial about it. They know they're angry, but they don't want to admit they're angry

Read More

Categories
Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

04-20-2018


04-18-2018


04-14-2018


04-06-2018


03-23-2018


03-17-2018


03-15-2018


03-01-2018


02-23-2018


12-22-2017


11-05-2017


11-04-2017


06-14-2017


06-07-2017


05-02-2017


07-12-2016

  • 08:13 AM - Hidden


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Page 1 of 152 1231151101 ... LastLast

04-25-2018


04-23-2018


04-22-2018


04-21-2018


04-20-2018


04-19-2018


04-18-2018


04-17-2018



Page 1 of 152 1231151101 ... LastLast