• New York becomes the 16th state legalize marijuana

    The law is surprisingly permissive in some ways, but it includes high taxes and other provisions that hurt consumers.

    JACOB SULLUM
    3.31.2021

    New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo today signed a bill that adds the country's fourth most populous state to the list of jurisdictions that allow recreational use of marijuana. Counting New York, 16 states have approved general legalization, although South Dakota's ballot measure is tied up in legal wrangling. New York's law, which emerged from years of negotiations between Cuomo and legislators, is surprisingly permissive in some respects but includes high taxes and other provisions that compromise the interests of consumers.

    Residents 21 or older will be allowed to possess up to three ounces of marijuana and up to 24 grams of cannabis concentrates in public. They also can legally transfer those amounts to other adults "without compensation." New York's limits are more generous than the rules in many other states that have legalized marijuana, where public possession typically is limited to one or two ounces. New Yorkers also will be allowed to possess up to five pounds at home.

    Marijuana use will be permitted anywhere that tobacco smoking is allowed, plus in specially licensed "consumption sites," which can operate in conjunction with dispensaries. Local governments will have the authority to prohibit consumption sites within their jurisdictions. Cannabis consumption in places where it is not permitted will be punishable by a $25 fine.

    Cities also will be allowed to ban marijuana retailers, provided they act by the end of the year. But they will not be allowed to stop residents from ordering marijuana online and having it delivered by licensed companies.

    more:
    https://reason.com/2021/03/31/new-yo...-legalization/


    Sign up for a free account to add your comment!


    Comments 24 Comments
    1. pcosmar's Avatar
      pcosmar -
      Sad that the Bribes are necessary ,, but good that the Market is open.
    1. Dr.3D's Avatar
      Dr.3D -
      This just opens the door for more arrests of gun owners.

      You have to fill out a form when purchasing a firearm, that you haven't used any illegal drugs. Well it's legal in that state but illegal federally.
    1. jct74's Avatar
      jct74 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
      This just opens the door for more arrests of gun owners.

      You have to fill out a form when purchasing a firearm, that you haven't used any illegal drugs. Well it's legal in that state but illegal federally.
      This is recreational legalization, so you don't have to register with the state to buy anything. To get a medical marijuana card you do though.
    1. Dr.3D's Avatar
      Dr.3D -
      Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
      This is recreational legalization, so you don't have to register with the state to buy anything. To get a medical marijuana card you do though.
      In Michigan it's legal for recreational use too, but you have to show the place that's selling it, your drivers license and register before they will sell it to you.
    1. Anti Federalist's Avatar
      Anti Federalist -
      New Yorkers also will be allowed to possess up to five pounds at home.
      Whoa...heheheh

    1. jct74's Avatar
      jct74 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
      In Michigan it's legal for recreational use too, but you have to show the place that's selling it, your drivers license and register before they will sell it to you.
      You definitely have to show an ID if you are on the younger side or maybe always, I'm not sure. But I've never heard anything about registering with the state to buy weed unless it's through the state's medical marijuana program.
    1. Dr.3D's Avatar
      Dr.3D -
      Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
      You definitely have to show an ID if you are on the younger side or maybe always, I'm not sure. But I've never heard anything about registering with the state to buy weed unless it's through the state's medical marijuana program.
      Seems by law, they have to keep a record of the people who buy it. I asked them about that.
    1. Voluntarist's Avatar
      Voluntarist -
      Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
      New York becomes the 16th state legalize marijuana
      There are some areas where Republicans are not Libertarian allies - and this is one of them. This legislation passed without the support of a single New York Republican legislator (Assembly or Senate). I've just started going through the list of the Republicans to see what the opposition was about - so far it doesn't seem to be centered on the excessive taxation, but rather on detection of Marijuana intoxication (for law enforcement purposes: driving, reckless endangerment, etc.) and the other traditional, age-old arguments against legalization
    1. Voluntarist's Avatar
      Voluntarist -
      One really positive thing is that it allows those who have been convicted of state charges in the past to get their lives back:
      Another positive aspect of New York's law is a provision requiring that the state's chief administrative judge "automatically vacate, dismiss and expunge" the convictions of people serving sentences for marijuana-related conduct that is no longer a crime. A marijuana offender who is in the same position but has completed his sentence can petition the court where he was convicted to vacate his conviction, in which case the court "shall presume" the conviction was invalid. People whose marijuana offenses have been downgraded can petition for reclassification of their convictions.
    1. dannno's Avatar
      dannno -
      Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
      You definitely have to show an ID if you are on the younger side or maybe always, I'm not sure. But I've never heard anything about registering with the state to buy weed unless it's through the state's medical marijuana program.
      In CA, in recreational outlets you have to register with them with your ID on your first visit, then present your ID each time. In fact, they make you show your ID (and scan it) both at check-in and at the point of sale.
    1. navy-vet's Avatar
      navy-vet -
      [QUOTE=Dr.3D;7031227]This just opens the door for more arrests of gun owners.


      You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dr.3D again.
    1. Anti Globalist's Avatar
      Anti Globalist -
      If this is Cuomo's way of trying to get people off his back because of all the $#@! he's doing, it ain't working.
    1. osan's Avatar
      osan -
      Gigantic MEH-event. Decriminalization was the proper way to do it. Count on American politicians to screw the pooch in grand fashion every time.

      Screw Cuomo the huomo, the legislators, and all the excessively and unforgivably stupid people of NY who think this is some sort of win. You're still under the Man's thumb like the little bitches you be. Sickening, but that's AmeriKa.
    1. osan's Avatar
      osan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
      There are some areas where Republicans are not Libertarian allies - and this is one of them. This legislation passed without the support of a single New York Republican legislator (Assembly or Senate). I've just started going through the list of the Republicans to see what the opposition was about - so far it doesn't seem to be centered on the excessive taxation, but rather on detection of Marijuana intoxication (for law enforcement purposes: driving, reckless endangerment, etc.) and the other traditional, age-old arguments against legalization
      I would not support it either. I suspect my motives might be different from those of the legislators to whom you refer. Legalization is just prettier tyranny than an outright ban, but it's still the tyranny of the nanny. No thanks. It's decriminalization or nothing. Legalization gives the state even broader powers over you. Screw that.
    1. osan's Avatar
      osan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
      One really positive thing is that it allows those who have been convicted of state charges in the past to get their lives back:
      A marginal bone thrown to the proles. OK, credit where due, but the expunge thing is bull$#@!. Any governmental entity will still be able to see your conviction. This is true in every state except, oddly, New jersey. In NJ, if you get your record expunged, were you to find yourself before the SCOTUS and they asked you under oath whether you had ever been convicted of a felony, you would be able to say "no" and have no worry about getting stung for perjury. NJ is the only state in the union with a statute that is serious about expungement. Last I knew, and that's at least 15 years ago now, some NJ legilators were diligently working to have the statute repealed in-toto. Of course, they were.

      Everything about NJ sucks... except escaping from it.
    1. osan's Avatar
      osan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
      If this is Cuomo's way of trying to get people off his back because of all the $#@! he's doing, it ain't working.
      Bet it works, too. The average NYer is dumber than a splinter and about as corrupt as Biden and Obama.
    1. pcosmar's Avatar
      pcosmar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
      This just opens the door for more arrests of gun owners.

      You have to fill out a form when purchasing a firearm, that you haven't used any illegal drugs. Well it's legal in that state but illegal federally.
      Cannabis is not a drug.

      It is a Health Supplement.
    1. oyarde's Avatar
      oyarde -
      its a trap , they'll be coming to make sure your mask is on and your vaccinated properly while toking the weed
    1. jkr's Avatar
      jkr -
      NOW THEY WILL PLANT HEROIN ON YOU

      its so much fun( thanks woemans suffrage)
    1. Dr.3D's Avatar
      Dr.3D -
      Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
      Cannabis is not a drug.

      It is a Health Supplement.
      Both you and I know that, but they are stupid and believe it's a drug.


    Sign up for a free account to add your comment!





    Continue / discuss in the forums Read More

  • Follow us on Twitter! Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our top news RSS Feed! New! Subscribe to us on YouTube!