• When Police Abuse Is 'Normal'

    A new documentary on militarized police focuses on mundane, everyday, "legitimate" abuses.

    Jesse Walker
    Oct. 3, 2016

    I haven't seen the new documentary Do Not Resist, but Radley Balko's review at The Washington Post makes it sound like a must-watch. According to Balko, the movie avoids the sort of footage that usually dominates discussions of abusive policing: You don't see anyone killed, you don't see anyone beaten, you don't see a SWAT team storming the wrong address. "What makes this movie so powerful," he writes, "is its terrifying portrayal of the mundanities of modern policing."

    It's one thing to read about a "dynamic entry" drug raid in which the police mistakenly or intentionally kill someone, or in which someone mistakenly or intentionally kills a police officer. It's awful and tragic and unnecessary. "Do Not Resist" doesn't show one of those. It instead shows the sort of drug raid that's far more common. The movie depicts the raid from the beginning, as the officers from the Richland County Sheriff's Department tactical team are meeting to discuss strategy. Some are wearing T-shirts with the tactical team's logo. It's a human skull imposed over two crossed AR-15s.

    There are no children at the residence, the lead officer assures his colleagues. (There were.) There would be a significant quantity of illegal drugs at the house, another says. (There weren't.) The tactical team then proceeds to raid the home of a black family in Richland County. Most officers storm the front door with their guns while one shatters some side windows as a distraction. Minutes go by. The officers' body language eventually shows signs of frustration as their search for contraband continues to come up empty. Finally, someone finds a book bag with traces of marijuana at the bottom—not enough to smoke, much less sell. They arrest a young black man with long braids for possession....

    [The arrestee] runs a landscaping company to help pay for his education. The man later tells the officer that he was on his way to pick up some lawnmowers that morning. Knowing that he's about to be arrested, he asks the officer if he could tell his employee that he was arrested and won't be able to pick up the lawnmowers. He then gives the officer $876 in cash and asks it to give it to his employee to go pick up the mowers, along with a weed-eater.

    Instead, the officer confiscates the money under civil asset forfeiture laws.
    The rest of the review is here, and a trailer is below:




    http://reason.com/blog/2016/10/03/wh...buse-is-normal


    Sign up for a free account to add your comment!


    Comments 34 Comments
    1. PierzStyx's Avatar
      PierzStyx -
    1. Anti Federalist's Avatar
      Anti Federalist -
      Cannot rep that enough.

      The only good cop is one who resigns.

      Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    1. HVACTech's Avatar
      HVACTech -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
      Cannot rep that enough.

      The only good cop is one who resigns.
      so, MR 'anti-federalist" have you figured out what a "Federation" is yet?

      or are you in league with those who do not care what that is?
    1. Anti Federalist's Avatar
      Anti Federalist -
      Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
      so, MR 'anti-federalist" have you figured out what a "Federation" is yet?

      or are you in league with those who do not care what that is?
      Something I am "anti" to.

      Yes, that is me, in league with the Dark Side.
    1. pcosmar's Avatar
      pcosmar -
      When exactly are the Armed Enforcers of Authoritarians, not offensive?

      They are offensive to Freedom and Liberty,, always at hand to deprive some of it.
    1. Todd's Avatar
      Todd -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
      Cannot rep that enough.

      The only good cop is one who resigns.
      That quote can be applied to politicians as well. And Ron remained in the belly of the beast to try to change it. And he was not a bad cop.
    1. Anti Federalist's Avatar
      Anti Federalist -
      Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
      That quote can be applied to politicians as well. And Ron remained in the belly of the beast to try to change it. And he was not a bad cop.
      No, it really can't.

      A politician is under no compunction to write or enact bad or unjust law, or any law at all for that matter.

      Ron was a hero in Congress precisely because he said no and did not enact bad law.

      A cop's job is to enforce the law.

      All of it.

      And a great deal of "the law" is unjust, wicked or cruel, as Higgs rightly notes.

      Even if a fair minded cop "lets you off" off an unjust law, the terror of a "near miss" of prosecution remains, which is unjust in it's own right.

      Therefore, there are no good cops.
    1. Anti Federalist's Avatar
      Anti Federalist -
      Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
      That quote can be applied to politicians as well. And Ron remained in the belly of the beast to try to change it. And he was not a bad cop.
      No, it really can't.

      A politician is under no compunction to write or enact bad or unjust law, or any law at all for that matter.

      Ron was a hero in Congress precisely because he said no and did not enact bad law.

      A cop's job is to enforce the law.

      All of it.

      And a great deal of "the law" is unjust, wicked or cruel, as Higgs rightly notes.

      Even if a fair minded cop "lets you off" off an unjust law, the terror of a "near miss" of prosecution remains, which is unjust in it's own right.

      Therefore, there are no good cops.
    1. HVACTech's Avatar
      HVACTech -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
      Something I am "anti" to.

      Yes, that is me, in league with the Dark Side.
      I agree.

      league, union and federation all have the very same meaning. they are in fact, indistinguishable between one and another.

      in my country, it was the anti-federalists that $#@!ed things up.
      what is my proof?

      the US Constitution, does NOT have anything to do with "Rights" (read it yourself azzhat)

      people today... think that they have... "Constitutional rights" can we agree on that? if so....

      where did they get that idea from? you. the addition of your precious "Bill of Rights" did not do a damn bit of good.
      in fact...
      the Bill of Rights.. is what was used to bastardize the original federation.

    1. HVACTech's Avatar
      HVACTech -
      Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
      When exactly are the Armed Enforcers of Authoritarians, not offensive?

      They are offensive to Freedom and Liberty,, always at hand to deprive some of it.
      that is why our founders chose sheriffs over Police .
      one works for the people. the other works for a corporation.

      (this is not a minor distinction)
    1. AZJoe's Avatar
      AZJoe -
    1. Anti Federalist's Avatar
      Anti Federalist -
      Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
      where did they get that idea from? you. the addition of your precious "Bill of Rights" did not do a damn bit of good.
      in fact...
      the Bill of Rights.. is what was used to bastardize the original federation.
      I disagree.

      We would be living under an even more oppressive state than what we have now.

      The only shreds of freedom left, to property, to be free from house to house searches, to own guns, to have some semblance of free speech or not be tortured, only exist because of the bill of rights.

      Your federation was a bastard to begin with, a half assed counter revolutionary coup, carried out in secret, that has grown to enslave us all.

      There was no $#@!ing it up worse than what it already was.

      Nice going, $#@!.
    1. HVACTech's Avatar
      HVACTech -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
      I disagree.

      We would be living under an even more oppressive state than what we have now.

      The only shreds of freedom left, to property, to be free from house to house searches, to own guns, to have some semblance of free speech or not be tortured, only exist because of the bill of rights.

      Your federation was a bastard to begin with, a half assed counter revolutionary coup, carried out in secret, that has grown to enslave us all.

      There was no $#@!ing it up worse than what it already was.

      Nice going, $#@!.
      it was a simple agreement to work together.
      "Rights" could be determined by the members.
      or not at all.
      it was your group that $#@!ed it up by including "Rights" to begin with.
      and you KNOW it.

      this point was argued in the federalist papers. #84. (mod edit)


      "Federalist No. 84 is notable for presenting the idea that a Bill of Rights was not a necessary component of the proposed United States Constitution.
      The Constitution, as originally written, did not specifically enumerate or protect the rights of the people. It is alleged that many Americans at the time opposed the inclusion of a bill of rights: if such a bill were created, they feared, this might later be interpreted as a list of the only rights that people had."

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_No._84

      get your $#@! together. the Constitution and the bill of rights are NOT one and the same.
      but you KNOW that.. don't you?

      you are here to confuse people who do not know any better.
      and that is just a plain fact. ~hugz~
    1. Anti Federalist's Avatar
      Anti Federalist -
      How did a bill of rights create a president/king?

      Or an EPA?

      Or a UN treaty?

      Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
      it was a simple agreement to work together.
      "Rights" could be determined by the members.
      or not at all.
      it was your group that $#@!ed it up by including "Rights" to begin with.
      and you KNOW it.

      this point was argued in the federalist papers. #84. (mod edit)


      "Federalist No. 84 is notable for presenting the idea that a Bill of Rights was not a necessary component of the proposed United States Constitution.
      The Constitution, as originally written, did not specifically enumerate or protect the rights of the people. It is alleged that many Americans at the time opposed the inclusion of a bill of rights: if such a bill were created, they feared, this might later be interpreted as a list of the only rights that people had."

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_No._84

      get your $#@! together. the Constitution and the bill of rights are NOT one and the same.
      but you KNOW that.. don't you?

      you are here to confuse people who do not know any better.
      and that is just a plain fact. ~hugz~
    1. HVACTech's Avatar
      HVACTech -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
      How did a bill of rights create a president/king?

      Or an EPA?

      Or a UN treaty?
      are you playing dumb? or is this the real thing?
    1. Ender's Avatar
      Ender -
      Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
      it was a simple agreement to work together.
      "Rights" could be determined by the members.
      or not at all.
      it was your group that $#@!ed it up by including "Rights" to begin with.
      and you KNOW it.

      this point was argued in the federalist papers. #84. azzhat.


      "Federalist No. 84 is notable for presenting the idea that a Bill of Rights was not a necessary component of the proposed United States Constitution.
      The Constitution, as originally written, did not specifically enumerate or protect the rights of the people. It is alleged that many Americans at the time opposed the inclusion of a bill of rights: if such a bill were created, they feared, this might later be interpreted as a list of the only rights that people had."

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_No._84

      get your $#@! together. the Constitution and the bill of rights are NOT one and the same.
      but you KNOW that.. don't you?

      you are here to confuse people who do not know any better.
      and that is just a plain fact. ~hugz~
      You are quoting Hamilton as the supreme being on the Bill of Rights? That's like quoting Satan on the meaning of Jesus' words. The Constitution was a Hamiltonian coup to make a powerful central government; it worked beautifully.

      And stop calling @Anti Federalist names; if you want people to listen to you, act with reason and intelligence, not insults and name-calling.
    1. HVACTech's Avatar
      HVACTech -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
      You are quoting Hamilton as the supreme being on the Bill of Rights? That's like quoting Satan on the meaning of Jesus' words. The Constitution was a Hamiltonian coup to make a powerful central government; it worked beautifully.


      why should a League be concerned with "rights" @Ender? there is no point or purpose in that.
      and that was CERTAINLY NOT the reason that they needed to work together.

      when it comes to a mutual defense pact. ( hint, hint... ) Unions can be very powerful.
      the Declaration of Independence would have served just fine as a basis for the determination of "Rights"

      are you pretending not to know these things? or is this genuine Ignorance on display here?

      I now have reason to suspect that neither one of you , @Ender or @Anti Federalist know what a federation is.

      what does a federation have to do with "Rights"?
      why don't you start there... and get back with me..


      federation
      [fed-uh-rey-shuh n]

      Examples
      Word Origin

      See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
      noun
      1.
      the act of federating or uniting in a league.
      2.
      the formation of a political unity, with a central government, by a number of separate states, each of which retains control of its own internal affairs.
      3.
      a league or confederacy.
      4.
      a federated body formed by a number of nations, states, societies, unions, etc., each retaining control of its own internal affairs.
      http://www.dictionary.com/browse/federation

      did that help? do you see ANY mention of "Rights"? anywhere?
    1. Anti Federalist's Avatar
      Anti Federalist -
      Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
      do you see ANY mention of "Rights"? anywhere?
      "To Secure the Blessing of Liberty, to ourselves and our posterity".

      And it failed.

      As predicted and warned.
    1. Anti Federalist's Avatar
      Anti Federalist -
      Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
      do you see ANY mention of "Rights"? anywhere?
      "To Secure the Blessing of Liberty, to ourselves and our posterity".

      And it failed.

      As predicted and warned.


    Sign up for a free account to add your comment!





    Continue / discuss in the forums Read More

  • Activism News & Discussion

    osan

    WV Bill Proposes to Nullify Fed Gun Laws...

    Thread Starter: osan

    http://www.wnd.com/2018/01/1-state-aims-to-be-sanctuary-state-for-gun-rights/ A West Virginia lawmaker has introduced a bill to the state House that would outlaw enforcement of current and future gun-control laws that violate the U.S. or state constitutions. House Bill 2138, introduced by Republican Del. Pat McGeehan, would effectively nullify all federal gun control within the state’s...

    Last Post By: Matt Collins 01-22-2018, 12:04 PM Go to last post
  • Ron Paul & Rand Paul: News & Discussion

    Brian4Liberty

    Turkey Vs. Syrian Kurds: Whose Side Are We On?

    Thread Starter: Brian4Liberty

    Turkey Vs. Syrian Kurds: Whose Side Are We On?

    Last Post By: charrob Yesterday, 06:26 PM Go to last post
    Valli6

    Gov Shutdown Prevention Act: fund each of 12 units of government individually

    Thread Starter: Valli6

    Senator Rand Paul to introduce Government Shutdown Prevention Act this week. 955899659129704449

    Last Post By: oyarde Yesterday, 05:37 PM Go to last post
    Brett85

    Rand Paul assaulted at Kentucky home (UPDATE: 6 broken ribs)

    Thread Starter: Brett85

    http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/358782-rand-paul-assaulted-at-kentucky-home-police#.Wf4cJF_xlfM.facebook -- update:

    Last Post By: devil21 Yesterday, 12:28 PM Go to last post
    nikcers

    [VIDEO] CNN Rand How to end shutdown

    Thread Starter: nikcers

    Last Post By: XNavyNuke Yesterday, 07:15 AM Go to last post
    jct74

    Rand Paul Pushes Marijuana Amendments On Funding Bill

    Thread Starter: jct74

    read more: https://www.marijuanamoment.net/rand-paul-pushes-marijuana-amendments-funding-bill/

    Last Post By: mrsat_98 01-22-2018, 10:54 AM Go to last post
  • General News & Politics

    AZJoe

    Federal Bureau of Investigation, FBI's Long History of Law-breaking, Abuse of Power

    Thread Starter: AZJoe

    Federal Bureau of Investigation, FBI: A Brief Overview of FBI's Long History of Law-breaking and Abuse of Power A 1924 American Civil Liberties Union report warned that the FBI had become “a secret police system of a political character.” In the 1930s, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court feared that the FBI had bugged the conference room where justices privately wrangled over landmark...

    Last Post By: goldenequity Today, 05:40 AM Go to last post
    Brian4Liberty

    Peter Strzok: Partisan FBI infiltrator

    Thread Starter: Brian4Liberty

    It seems that some government employees have taken their partisanship to extremes, such that it would be impossible for them to fulfill their job requirement of being unbiased. Might as well consider this guy to have been a member of the Hillary campaign. Mueller aide fired for anti-Trump texts now facing review for role in Clinton email probe

    Last Post By: goldenequity Today, 05:35 AM Go to last post
    goldenequity

    #GAGTHEMEMO :)

    Thread Starter: goldenequity

    You'll enjoy this... I promise. Dem Rep. Adam Schiff: "We Can't Release FISA Memo Because American People Wouldn't Understand It"

    Last Post By: goldenequity Today, 05:22 AM Go to last post
    kpitcher

    Doctor in the US for 40 years arrested by ICE for misdemeanor 25 years ago

    Thread Starter: kpitcher

    http://woodtv.com/2018/01/20/kzoo-doctor-detained-by-ice-after-40-years-in-us/

    Last Post By: Swordsmyth Today, 03:31 AM Go to last post
    johnwk

    Senator Schumer's list of demands to end government shutdown

    Thread Starter: johnwk

    . It seems quite clear that Chucky Boy Schumer is demanding the following laundry list to end his filibuster which has caused our federal government to close down. Schumer wants permanent residency for the DACA children, most of whom are over 25 years old. Schumer wants citizenship granted, within a few years, to the DACA children.

    Last Post By: Swordsmyth Today, 02:29 AM Go to last post
    kahless

    Most American's say we are full and want massive cuts to legal immigration

    Thread Starter: kahless

    Shock poll: Americans want massive cuts to legal immigration https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/22/shock-poll-us-wants-massive-cuts-legal-immigration/

    Last Post By: timosman Today, 02:14 AM Go to last post
    Swordsmyth

    House Judiciary Committee Officially Approves Effort to Launch Investigation of Comey, Lynch

    Thread Starter: Swordsmyth

    The House Judiciary Committee has officially approved an effort to launch an investigation into former FBI director James Comey’s leaking activities and apparent mishandling of a federal investigation by former Attorney General Loretta Lynch. The new investigative effort, authorized by the passage of the amendment in the Judiciary Committee, 16-13 along partisan lines, digs deep requesting...

    Last Post By: timosman Today, 01:15 AM Go to last post
    Anti Federalist

    10 best countries in the world

    Thread Starter: Anti Federalist

    Overall Best Countries Ranking https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/overall-full-list The overall ranking of Best Countries measures global performance on a variety of metrics. Switzerland #1 in Best Countries Overall

    Last Post By: Mach Today, 12:58 AM Go to last post
    kcchiefs6465

    Rand Paul Gets It Wrong Regarding the Opioid 'Epidemic'

    Thread Starter: kcchiefs6465

    Last Post By: Swordsmyth Today, 12:09 AM Go to last post
    DamianTV

    US Government Shuts Down (2018)

    Thread Starter: DamianTV

    CNN, so take it with a grain of salt... http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/politics/government-shutdown-trump-congress-latest/index.html Full article on link. Yes, a CNN link, so feel free to post every other outlet that covers the topic. Year added to title because they do the same $#@! to us every year.

    Last Post By: Swordsmyth Today, 12:05 AM Go to last post
  • Gold Chart

    [Most Recent Quotes from www.kitco.com]
  • Silver Chart

  • Economics News & Discussion

    uncharted

    Peter Schiff vs. Alex Jones on Trump and the future of America's economy

    Thread Starter: uncharted

    Last Post By: TheCount Today, 03:30 AM Go to last post
    kpitcher

    telegram group

    Thread Starter: kpitcher

    I saw a telegram group with 8 thousand people in it with a sole purpose of Pump and Dumps. I can not speak for them, however looking at the past history they do get the price up there. Next one is 11pm Tue on cryptopia https://t.me/altcoinupdates I don't condone what they do, but this is an informational service

    Last Post By: kpitcher Today, 01:20 AM Go to last post
    Zippyjuan

    Jerome Powell, Trump’s Fed nominee, says he favors loosening some bank regulations

    Thread Starter: Zippyjuan

    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-jerome-powell-federal-reserve-20171128-story.html

    Last Post By: timosman Yesterday, 07:29 PM Go to last post
    anaconda

    Bitcoin Cracks $5000

    Thread Starter: anaconda

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/cbovaird/2017/09/01/bitcoin-price-tops-5000-as-cryptocurrencies-march-higher/#6d8dc42a5a8e

    Last Post By: devil21 Yesterday, 03:36 AM Go to last post
    gaazn

    cryptopia: how to trade/exchange? how to finally cash out?

    Thread Starter: gaazn

    If I wanted to swap out my feathercoin to other alt-coins, do I need a separate wallet for each of the coins while trading within cryptopia? Or do you just need the wallet for the coin when you want to exit cryptopia? For example can I swap out feathercoin to bitcoin to litecoin multiple times and then back to feathercoin with just a feathercoin wallet, without having bitcoin and litecoin...

    Last Post By: devil21 01-22-2018, 12:59 PM Go to last post
  • Bitcoin Chart

  • Living Free and Healthy

    Danke

    It is gonna be a cold winter.

    Thread Starter: Danke

    This fall the Indians on a remote reservation asked their new Chief Oyarde if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was a chief in a modern society, he’d never learned the old tribal secrets. He couldn’t look at the sky to predict what the winter was going to be like. "It's going to be a very cold winter." So just to be on the safe side, Oyarde told his tribe that the...

    Last Post By: oyarde Yesterday, 05:12 PM Go to last post
    Intoxiklown

    Flu season VERY volatile this year

    Thread Starter: Intoxiklown

    Posting this as somewhat of a "FYI" for all my liberty cousins here. If you're not aware, the flu season this year has been a very bad one. So everyone should be very mindful of steps to avoid exposure as best they can. This isn't about trying to start a debate between pro-flu shot people and anti-flu shot people. If you don't believe in the flu shot being effective, be sure you're pumping...

    Last Post By: Anti Federalist 01-22-2018, 08:31 PM Go to last post
  • Education & Thought Power

    1stvermont

    J.R.R Tolkien Libertarian Creator Of Middle Earth

    Thread Starter: 1stvermont

    His Life John Ronald Reuel Tolkien was born to Arthur Tolkien, who was of German ancestry and third generation English and English woman, Mabel Suffeld on the night of Jan 3 1892. Arthur and Mabel had been married on April 16, 1891. Tolkien would later say, “I am in fact far more a Suffeld than a Tolkien and English than German.” As a baby in South Africa, Tolkien was once stolen by a...

    Last Post By: Marenco Today, 12:35 AM Go to last post
    Meritocrat

    Jordan Peterson, 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos

    Thread Starter: Meritocrat

    This is an advanced review of Jordan Peterson's upcoming book: https://simplicityandpurity.wordpress.com/2018/01/03/the-last-professor/

    Last Post By: Meritocrat Yesterday, 04:15 AM Go to last post
    Vessol

    The Lord of the Rings: A Libertarian/Anarcho-Capitalist Message

    Thread Starter: Vessol

    I was watching The Fellowship of the Ring last night(I often do when I have trouble falling asleep, great movies and the music is very relaxing). The main reason I love the Fellowship of the Ring movie and the book is because of The Shire. The book goes into more details about it, but The Shire in LotR is a very libertarian/anarcho-capitalist society. They have no organized government. All...

    Last Post By: AZJoe 01-22-2018, 08:21 PM Go to last post
    1stvermont

    Americas Biblical Government

    Thread Starter: 1stvermont

    The American Union Modeled After Ancient Israel “Our family of states, so many sovereignties governing themselves, yet consenting to be governed, like constellations each with its own order and laws, but all obeying one great rule, suggesting, as organized communities, more than any other nation, the divine pattern of the tribes in the Hebrew commonwealth.” -Nehemiah Adams Pastor Harvard...

    Last Post By: 1stvermont 01-22-2018, 10:40 AM Go to last post
    timosman

    Democrat, def

    Thread Starter: timosman

    Democrat, def: a person with something to hide, e.g. a hidden agenda.

    Last Post By: Swordsmyth 01-21-2018, 11:49 PM Go to last post
    Swordsmyth

    O’Sullivan’s First Law

    Thread Starter: Swordsmyth

    O’Sullivan’s First Law, named for John O’Sullivan, former editor of National Review, speechwriter for Margaret Thatcher, and author of the fine book The President, The Pope, and the Prime Minister, goes as follows: Any institution that is not explicitly right wing will become left wing over time. Good example include such seemingly anodyne institutions like the League of Women Voters, PTAs,...

    Last Post By: Swordsmyth 01-21-2018, 11:24 PM Go to last post
  • Follow us on Twitter! Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our top news RSS Feed! New! Subscribe to us on YouTube!