• Real world facts of firearms.

    Over the past few years, I've seen some things said here that I agree with, some tings that set off a light bulb in my head, and some things that made me understand false net info and herd mentality. I always try to point out if my understanding and knowledge of something is weak on some subjects, and some times make it clear I know exactly what I am talking about. Hence, this post.

    I want to talk about what I know a fact, and some things I understand as fact. I am then hoping others will expand on some things, explain why some are wrong, or even if I ( or others) are right for the wrong reasons. This stems from my wife (she likes to log my account and just read ) making an observation that never occurred to me. To paraphrase, "With all the different branches of military, hunters, and long time shooters on your forums, you all are sure all over the map about firearms.". Basically, experience molds opinion, yet opinion seems to really dominate here.

    Also, I am home alone, buzzing on Community coffee, and feel chatty...even if it's with myself.....=)


    Let's start with a huge misconception I have seen:

    AK(M)47s

    This is a hugely misunderstood rifle. I am not an "AK fanboy", but I do own one. I also own ARs, both in .223 and .308, direct impengement and piston. No rifle is better than the other, but they all separate themselves in different needs.

    1) "The AK is not accurate". Horse shit. I can hit targets at 300 yards with my AK. The accuracy myth is two fold. First being the obvious, knowledge of the weapon. Second being, and most importantly, LACK of knowledge regarding how heat affects a rifle barrel. I can take an AK, and a 30 round mag, and light a 300 yard target up. After that, due to the way the barrel flexes (as designed) along with the heat generated to the barrel, there is drift. All rifles do this, but the AK design suffers the worst effects.

    which leads to #2

    2) "AKs pale to other rifles in a firefight". Define firefight. If we are in an open area, and you have an AR15, and me an AK.....I am going to do my best to suppress and fall back. I am not going to have that fight if I can help it. Long range fighting an AR with an AK is both foolish, and most likely not going to end well. However, those same rifles in heavily wooded areas, and the advantages change. The smaller .223 allows greater long range accuracy, but woods / jungle vegetation takes that advantage away. Both to greater options for cover from the .223, as well as the tumble design of the round giving issue when encountering someting as simple as a tree twig in the flight path of the round. The heavier 7.62x39 does not have these issues. In other words, your location has a lot to do with solving the "AR vs AK" debate in your choice of these two fine weapons.

    I would go into field reliability, but if this is an argument for someone, they need to consider they are being an "AR fanboy" because that is what they own. Personally, I prefer the AR platform, but I also fully acknowledge that fighting in adverse condittions, or prolonged encounters, the AK stands above the rest.


    Pistols:

    Excluding "man rounds" like the .44 and up, people really should read and understand kinetic energy when looking at pistol calibers. A slower large caliber, like the .45 ACP, is going to dissipate a lot of it's energy on contact. Meaning, clothes and skin. These types of rounds also perform more poorly (hate to say poorly, but for lack of a better word) when encountering body armor. The more energy you can get transferred inside the target, the larger the temporal cavity. Now, while I am in no way dismissing a large permanent cavity, many people underestimate what kind of damage to organs the temporal cavity imparts. That force can lead to organs rupturing from pressure, and the shock itself can even cause a heart attack (I love that, get shot in the ribcage, and die of a heart attack).

    This is why out of all the pistols I own, in all their various calibers, I carry and prefer the .357 magnum. Ballistically, it gives a solid sized round at a very high velocity. Data shows there have been more one shot kills with the .357 than any other round, with .40 being a fairly close second. The issue with a weapon like the .40 cal is shared by it's cousins, the .357 sig and the 10mm. All three are hard hitting rounds, and are moving their butt off when leaving the barrel....BUT. They achieve this by being high compression rounds. And while that works, and they will definitely "turn that light switch off", they have two failings. Actually, not failings, but unique issues due to their load outs. First, being high compression rounds designed for semi-automatic pistols, you get what I call "snappy shots", meaning muzzle climb. I am not saying it's horrible, or something that can't be worked with, but compared to other calibers in semi-auto, there is an obvious difference. Second being, and why I personally don't own any, is that high compression rounds cause much greater wear and tear on these firearms. You will not find a pistol in these calibers with 50k+ rounds through them, that haven't had to be re-tooled and/or machine repaired. I'm not knocking the effectiveness of these rounds, but they do exact a price. This is why I encourage people wanting higher capacity pistols to look into 9mm, as round and powder advances have made it an extremely effective round, without the long term damage to the pistol itself.


    A couple of side notes on aforementioned body armor:


    1) Yes, it can be really nice to have if someone is shooting at you. But it can also be your worst enemy. If you're decked out like Iron Man, while bullets may lesser of an enemy, dehydration and exhaustion can and will drop you just as fast. Anyone who has done 18 to 20 mile movement can tell you, it doesn't take very long before the smallest thing on you becomes something you desperately want to drop.

    Also, body armor doesn't give you "god mode". Broken ribs, bruised sternum, and other blunt force trauma injuries are a lot more common than you might think. Less talked about is bullet fragment deflection, which is when a round is stopped by armor, and fragments from the round take a little bounce. Sometimes into a chin, or a hand, ect. The round doesn't have to penetrate you to stop your ability to fight. Ask anyone whose just suffered a hair line crack on a rib, much less a break, how good they'd be in a fight suffering from those.

    2) If you did encounter, and had to fight, an opponent wearing body armor, your aim point is the groin area. This is the area of best probable success. Femoral artery, testicles, colon, sheer musculature volume.....a hit in these areas can cause massive trauma, and incapacitate. You'll also force one to two of their numbers to deal with, and extract him.




    Just a few thoughts. And, again, I'm not really attacking a weapon or caliber. But, it's good to get past misconceptions, and understand the intended application, as well as drawbacks, to things.


    Sign up for a free account to add your comment!


    Comments 23 Comments
    1. phill4paul's Avatar
      phill4paul -
      Works for me. I don't see anything wrong with your analysis.
    1. Ronin Truth's Avatar
      Ronin Truth -
      Most gunfights happen within a circle with less than a 7 yard radius. Sounds like 12 gauge shotgun range to me.
    1. phill4paul's Avatar
      phill4paul -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
      Most gunfights happen within a circle with less than a 7 yard radius. Sounds like 12 gauge shotgun range to me.
      Kinda hard to conceal carry a shotgun, no?
    1. Ronin Truth's Avatar
      Ronin Truth -
      Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
      Kinda hard to conceal carry a shotgun, no?
      Don't come to my house unexpectedly at night and then surprise me.
    1. Pericles's Avatar
      Pericles -
      Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
      Kinda hard to conceal carry a shotgun, no?
      Agree and will add this - quality matters no matter what model weapon. A quality built AK can get hits at 300meters and a quality AR is absolutely reliable. There is no perfect weapon because the situation influences outcomes.
    1. pcosmar's Avatar
      pcosmar -
      It is hard to shoot a target that can not be seen.

      the rest is forbidden to me.. so I favor what I have.

      Be invisible.
    1. phill4paul's Avatar
      phill4paul -
      Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
      It is hard to shoot a target that can not be seen.

      the rest is forbidden to me.. so I favor what I have.

      Be invisible.


      http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...l-Evasion-Suit
    1. Intoxiklown's Avatar
      Intoxiklown -
      Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
      Agree and will add this - quality matters no matter what model weapon. A quality built AK can get hits at 300meters and a quality AR is absolutely reliable. There is no perfect weapon because the situation influences outcomes.

      Very true, and I probably should have made that clear, especially regarding my AKM. My father bought it in '88, so it is pre-ban. The only real value it had was the fact it was my daddy's gun for years, until a knowledgeable dealer saw it, and explained what my father had left me. It is a Polytech AKM with folding stock. It is Chinese made, which is why I never thought much of it outside of sentimental value. However, it turns out it is considered among AK enthusiasts as the Rolls Royce of the AKs.

      So yeah.....what 98% of owners of that firearm consider it a safe queen, and don't want to even take it outside, I spent two decades running around the country with it, and put Lord knows how many rounds through it. But, even with the wear, that AK was valued at $3k, which was eye opening. It's the only AK I've ever shot, and might explain why I could not understand all the accuracy issues I saw people citing. Because while the sights leave something to be desired, it is a hard hitting mamba jamma, and maintains tight groups for the first 40 to 50 rounds. But even then, it's solid on target....that group just opens up some.
    1. Ronin Truth's Avatar
      Ronin Truth -
      12 gauge shotgun handgun

      About 857,000 results

      https://www.google.com/search?q=12+g...22.6dbP_BtnJpk

    1. fedupinmo's Avatar
      fedupinmo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
      Most gunfights happen within a circle with less than a 7 yard radius. Sounds like 12 gauge shotgun range to me.
      Although I'm by no means an expert on this, it would seem that at short range a handgun would make more sense. One of the biggest advantages of a handgun is single-handed operation, allowing the use of the other hand to put an attacker away if necessary.
      I discovered this video sometime back that seems to make a lot of sense, and applies well to the subject.
      https://youtu.be/BVuKy8SnbSQ
    1. Intoxiklown's Avatar
      Intoxiklown -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
      Most gunfights happen within a circle with less than a 7 yard radius. Sounds like 12 gauge shotgun range to me.
      I was hoping more people would get involved, but seems most like to read (which there is nothing wrong with either).


      For home defense, you simply cannot beat the shotgun. But even this devastating firearm has a lot of myths floating around it.

      1) "You can't miss with the shotgun". People that say this have never shot a shotgun in their lives. At around 15 feet (which is the average room width in American houses), 00 buckshot is going to have a spread pattern of around 3" to 4". While that is a great deal more impact area than from a pistol round, it doesn't take too much of a jerk to pull that shot off target. This is also why all home defense shotguns should have a stock, and not just a pistol grip. True one can put a laser on a pistol grip only shotgun, or even mount a light and use the center of the light as an aim point, but there is still a strong possibility of missing. Shouldering that weapon and using a good sight picture combined with a 4" spread will all but guarantee a hit though.

      2) "I like to use birdshot for home defense". This will work to deter, but will not kill. Birdshot gives a wider pattern, and more pellets....but, gives up kinetic energy which takes away penetration. If your goal is to make an intruder either leave your house, or hope to incapacitate without risk of death, then birdshot is great. But shooting an opponent across the room with birdshot will scare him, but he can also be armed himself, and it is impossible to know his mental or physical state. In other words, if he is on a drug like methamphetamine, he won't feel as much pain as he should, and since the birdshot will not deliver a killing wound, you are now in a gun fight with someone using a round that will not kill. And yes, you can get lucky and hit the eyes, or some other lucky shot. But your life and that of our famliy is a hell o a thing to gamble with.

      3) "I like tactical shotgun stocks". I'm not completely knocking these, as I have a couple of shotguns built this way as well. However, my actual home defense shotgun still has the wooden stock on it. By removing the wood stock, you're taking a melee weapon away from yourself. If you smack someone with a wood stock attached to a shotgun, you'll split their head wide open. A polymer tactical stock is going to break.


      As I said, I am a firm believer in the scatter gun. I have one on each side of the bed (for both my wife and I), as well as one in my truck along with a .30-.30 rifle in an overhead gun rack in my truck. It is my preferred hunting weapon, as it can kill anything that walks, crawls, or flies in the US. I don't carry a "shotgun handgun" for personal defense though, as there is simply too much compromise of the round's capability to get it into such a small package.

      Different gauges is a whole other topic, but I'll give a brief look. .12 gauge is popular, and considered the best all around gauge. But that does not mean it's the best for everything. For example, for bird hunting, the .16 gauge is better due to round patterns. Yes, different gauge sizes can affect the way the shot will spread. Point is, shotguns are a lot more indepth than many give it credit for. Honestly, I think it is the most complex subject consisting of somany variables.

      I will say something I've said many times here before to close this with though. I feel every household should have three weapons. A .30-.30 rifle, a 12 gauge shotgun, and a .22 rifle. These three guns will defend you, feed you, are easy to find ammo for (at a cheap price), and are relatively easy firearms to work on yourself.
    1. Ronin Truth's Avatar
      Ronin Truth -
      Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
      I was hoping more people would get involved, but seems most like to read (which there is nothing wrong with either).


      For home defense, you simply cannot beat the shotgun. But even this devastating firearm has a lot of myths floating around it.

      1) "You can't miss with the shotgun". People that say this have never shot a shotgun in their lives. At around 15 feet (which is the average room width in American houses), 00 buckshot is going to have a spread pattern of around 3" to 4". While that is a great deal more impact area than from a pistol round, it doesn't take too much of a jerk to pull that shot off target. This is also why all home defense shotguns should have a stock, and not just a pistol grip. True one can put a laser on a pistol grip only shotgun, or even mount a light and use the center of the light as an aim point, but there is still a strong possibility of missing. Shouldering that weapon and using a good sight picture combined with a 4" spread will all but guarantee a hit though.

      2) "I like to use birdshot for home defense". This will work to deter, but will not kill. Birdshot gives a wider pattern, and more pellets....but, gives up kinetic energy which takes away penetration. If your goal is to make an intruder either leave your house, or hope to incapacitate without risk of death, then birdshot is great. But shooting an opponent across the room with birdshot will scare him, but he can also be armed himself, and it is impossible to know his mental or physical state. In other words, if he is on a drug like methamphetamine, he won't feel as much pain as he should, and since the birdshot will not deliver a killing wound, you are now in a gun fight with someone using a round that will not kill. And yes, you can get lucky and hit the eyes, or some other lucky shot. But your life and that of our famliy is a hell o a thing to gamble with.

      3) "I like tactical shotgun stocks". I'm not completely knocking these, as I have a couple of shotguns built this way as well. However, my actual home defense shotgun still has the wooden stock on it. By removing the wood stock, you're taking a melee weapon away from yourself. If you smack someone with a wood stock attached to a shotgun, you'll split their head wide open. A polymer tactical stock is going to break.


      As I said, I am a firm believer in the scatter gun. I have one on each side of the bed (for both my wife and I), as well as one in my truck along with a .30-.30 rifle in an overhead gun rack in my truck. It is my preferred hunting weapon, as it can kill anything that walks, crawls, or flies in the US. I don't carry a "shotgun handgun" for personal defense though, as there is simply too much compromise of the round's capability to get it into such a small package.

      Different gauges is a whole other topic, but I'll give a brief look. .12 gauge is popular, and considered the best all around gauge. But that does not mean it's the best for everything. For example, for bird hunting, the .16 gauge is better due to round patterns. Yes, different gauge sizes can affect the way the shot will spread. Point is, shotguns are a lot more indepth than many give it credit for. Honestly, I think it is the most complex subject consisting of somany variables.

      I will say something I've said many times here before to close this with though. I feel every household should have three weapons. A .30-.30 rifle, a 12 gauge shotgun, and a .22 rifle. These three guns will defend you, feed you, are easy to find ammo for (at a cheap price), and are relatively easy firearms to work on yourself.
      My pump 12 gauge for primary home defense is loaded with #4 shot. That's much harder to miss completely with, at expected typical ranges, and will definitely screw up a bad guy's day, big time.
    1. phill4paul's Avatar
      phill4paul -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
      My pump 12 gauge for primary home defense is loaded with #4 shot. That's much harder to miss completely with, at expected typical ranges, and will definitely screw up a bad guy's day, big time.
      I stack. #4, 00, slug. I figure I can cycle out to what is needed.
    1. Ronin Truth's Avatar
      Ronin Truth -
      Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
      I stack. #4, 00, slug. I figure I can cycle out to what is needed.
      If you have the time and can remember, under the stress of the moment.
    1. phill4paul's Avatar
      phill4paul -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
      If you have the time and can remember, under the stress of the moment.
      Well, if it is o'dark thirty and the brain is foggy, simply pulling the trigger is an excellent way of cycling.
    1. fedupinmo's Avatar
      fedupinmo -
      The PAP M92... punch a hole and set them on fire, all at the same time.



      Who needs a light?

      Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
      Very true, and I probably should have made that clear, especially regarding my AKM. My father bought it in '88, so it is pre-ban. The only real value it had was the fact it was my daddy's gun for years, until a knowledgeable dealer saw it, and explained what my father had left me. It is a Polytech AKM with folding stock. It is Chinese made, which is why I never thought much of it outside of sentimental value. However, it turns out it is considered among AK enthusiasts as the Rolls Royce of the AKs.

      So yeah.....what 98% of owners of that firearm consider it a safe queen, and don't want to even take it outside, I spent two decades running around the country with it, and put Lord knows how many rounds through it. But, even with the wear, that AK was valued at $3k, which was eye opening. It's the only AK I've ever shot, and might explain why I could not understand all the accuracy issues I saw people citing. Because while the sights leave something to be desired, it is a hard hitting mamba jamma, and maintains tight groups for the first 40 to 50 rounds. But even then, it's solid on target....that group just opens up some.
      Side folder or underfolder? Worth some bux either way... but not an AKM, it is AK47 pattern. The Chinese didn't make the leap to AKM pattern. I do love Chinese though, have two myself, one fixed stock, one underfolder.
    1. Intoxiklown's Avatar
      Intoxiklown -
      Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
      The PAP M92... punch a hole and set them on fire, all at the same time.



      Who needs a light?



      Side folder or underfolder? Worth some bux either way... but not an AKM, it is AK47 pattern. The Chinese didn't make the leap to AKM pattern. I do love Chinese though, have two myself, one fixed stock, one underfolder.
      It is the side folder. You're stating a common missconcepton regarding AKs. The M stands for "modernized", and pretty much applies to all AK pattern rifles made made after the 1950s. I own a Polytech AKM762.
    1. Ronin Truth's Avatar
      Ronin Truth -
      Aside from time, what's the diff between the AK47 and the AK74?
    1. fedupinmo's Avatar
      fedupinmo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
      It is the side folder. You're stating a common missconcepton regarding AKs. The M stands for "modernized", and pretty much applies to all AK pattern rifles made made after the 1950s. I own a Polytech AKM762.
      Side folders are SEXY!
      However, if you had to replace any of the barrel components, you would have to use milled AK parts because AKM parts wouldn't fit. IIRC, the interior dimensions of the receiver also match the AK 47 spec, and an AKM lower hand guard requires modification to fit due to the thicker receiver, front sight block, and front trunnion. Chinese AKs also lack the sight rail common to most AKM variants but kept the double hook trigger and smooth receiver cover of the AK over the single hook trigger and ribbed receiver cover of the AKM. The Type 56 also kept the vented gas tube of the AK over the vented gas block on the AKM.
      The Russian's, IIRC, didn't give the AKM specs to the Chinese as relations had cooled between them by that time, so the Chinese reverse engineered their stamped AK from the milled model.
      I have to admit though, I have never personally held a Type 56-2, and my personal experience has been limited to the Modernized Automat Kalashnikov of 1990, although my underfolder is a neutered for import Min Shan Type 56-1.

      Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
      Aside from time, what's the diff between the AK47 and the AK74?
      Caliber of course... also the bolt stem is thinner, 90 degree gas block over pre-drilled gas port instead of 45 degree gas block with port drilled after gb installation, 24mm threaded front sight block instead of 14mm threaded barrel, different barrel journal diameters. The Saiga 7.62x39 has more in common with a 74 than it does with an AKM as well.
    1. Ronin Truth's Avatar
      Ronin Truth -
      Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
      Caliber of course... also the bolt stem is thinner, 90 degree gas block over pre-drilled gas port instead of 45 degree gas block with port drilled after gb installation, 24mm threaded front sight block instead of 14mm threaded barrel, different barrel journal diameters. The Saiga 7.62x39 has more in common with a 74 than it does with an AKM as well.
      Thanks for the info.


    Sign up for a free account to add your comment!





    Continue / discuss in the forums Read More

  • Activism News & Discussion

    osan

    Vote.

    Thread Starter: osan

    I know there are many who refuse to vote because they don't want to be seen as participating in the tyrannical system. I fully empathize with this and agree, in principle. I would love to live sufficient thousands of years to see humanity evolve into proper anarchists, where men respected one another, etc. That, I am sad to say, is unlikely. That means we are left with what we have - a...

    Last Post By: osan Today, 11:04 AM Go to last post
    trey4sports

    RPF veterans...what was it like in the beginning?

    Thread Starter: trey4sports

    I joined here after the tea party in 07, we were gaining popularity quite quickly. Im curious what it was like here at RPF when Ron Paul had just announced his campaign. were goals lower? did you guys EVER think we would have the numbers we now have? did you expect Ron Paul to be an internet sensation? did you think we would EVER raise the kind of money we raised in the 4th quarter,...

    Last Post By: CCTelander Yesterday, 05:02 PM Go to last post
    dannno

    Is it Finally Time for a Good Old Fashioned Money Bomb in 2018?

    Thread Starter: dannno

    Larry Sharpe is a libertarian running for Governor in New York, the election is November 6, 2018. The primaries are in a few days (9/13), but we are focused on the general in November. If you think he doesn't have a chance, consider that he will likely be up against 5 or 6 candidates, only needs 30% to win and I believe the interview he said he was already polling 25%, or he was able to...

    Last Post By: Thor Yesterday, 08:03 AM Go to last post
    Jan2017

    Should President Trump open McCain Vietnam files . . . (?)

    Thread Starter: Jan2017

    For example . . . How about 29 July 1967 . . . I'll bet the President doesn't really know the most accurate account for history and posterity sake of the nation . . . yet. Meet US Navy pilot John McCain "center stage" . . . as brought to you by the USS Foresstal control tower camera(s) - except the footage now is apparently out of public domain - wtf?

    Last Post By: osan 10-18-2018, 01:07 PM Go to last post
    jllundqu

    The Future is So F**KED! (Video)

    Thread Starter: jllundqu

    ***WARNING***** Watch at your own risk and don't have any sharp objects nearby. I'm ready for the meteor to hit, or Yellowstone to blow.... the age of reason and the enlightenment are DEAD. This is what we are left with. My 8 year old son (whom we HOMESCHOOL!!!), can run circles around these ignorant, entitled, useless-eater millennials. God help us all.

    Last Post By: timosman 10-18-2018, 12:58 PM Go to last post
    jllundqu

    What's RPF's Opinion of Adam Kokesh?

    Thread Starter: jllundqu

    I just learned that Adam is now here in Arizona and running for the U.S. Senate Seat on the Libertarian ticket. He found me on twitter, texted me, and invited me to join him at a LP meeting in Phoenix. I was a big fan of his Veterans For Ron Paul marches, Iraq Veterans Against the War, and generally bringing attention to veteran suicides, etc. I haven't been following him for some time and...

    Last Post By: osan 10-18-2018, 12:32 PM Go to last post
  • Ron Paul & Rand Paul: News & Discussion

    francisco

    Rand on Fox: Time to re-think US relationship w/ Saudi Arabia

    Thread Starter: francisco

    Sen. Rand Paul: It's time to rethink America's relationship with Saudi Arabia -- It is not our friend https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/sen-rand-paul-its-time-to-rethink-americas-relationship-with-saudi-arabia-it-is-not-our-friend?fbclid=IwAR3Vxzeeg1YDm8vposuDxi020C0AW4npVj95n_ct3JMWxHS3PdiMvSaru78

    Last Post By: francisco Today, 06:47 PM Go to last post
    Brian4Liberty

    Trump Takes On The "Crazy" Fed. Will It Make A Difference?

    Thread Starter: Brian4Liberty

    Trump Takes On The "Crazy" Fed. Will It Make A Difference?

    Last Post By: DamianTV Today, 04:16 PM Go to last post
    phill4paul

    Rand Paul introduces the most sweeping reform of civil asset forfeiture law...

    Thread Starter: phill4paul

    Thanks Rand! Civil Asset forfeiture needs to be addressed... http://rare.us/rare-politics/populist/rand-paul-introduces-the-most-sweeping-reform-of-civil-asset-forfeiture-law-in-decades/ but wait..what's that...Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! :eek: :eek: :eek:! Look at the name of the act.

    Last Post By: Swordsmyth Yesterday, 08:32 PM Go to last post
    Brian4Liberty

    The Corporatist War On Free Speech - Are We A Nation Of Sheep?

    Thread Starter: Brian4Liberty

    The Corporatist War On Free Speech - Are We A Nation Of Sheep?

    Last Post By: Swordsmyth Yesterday, 06:07 PM Go to last post
    Brian4Liberty

    Saudi 'Critic' Khashoggi Disappears - How Will Washington React?

    Thread Starter: Brian4Liberty

    Saudi 'Critic' Khashoggi Disappears - How Will Washington React?

    Last Post By: Brian4Liberty Yesterday, 12:34 PM Go to last post
  • General News & Politics

    kona

    Trump: Major tax cut coming for middle class

    Thread Starter: kona

    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1053742736053014540?s=19

    Last Post By: dannno Today, 09:29 PM Go to last post
    Swordsmyth

    3,000 Hondurans Make New Run For US Border; Trump Threatens To Cut Aid If Not Stopped

    Thread Starter: Swordsmyth

    An estimated 2,500 - 3,000 Honduran migrants crossed into Guatemala on Monday for a second northbound trek to the US border in six months, following a tense standoff with police in riot gear. Rows of Guatemalan police in black uniforms, some wearing helmets and shields, initially blocked migrants from reaching a customs booth, Reuters images showed. It was not clear how long the...

    Last Post By: angelatc Today, 09:23 PM Go to last post
    Swordsmyth

    "No Preconditions": Trump Will Meet Iran's Rouhani "Anytime They Want"

    Thread Starter: Swordsmyth

    President Trump said on Monday that he is willing to meet with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani with "no preconditions," exactly one week after he blasted out a fiery all-caps threat to the regime over Twitter. “I would certainly meet with Iran if they wanted to meet. I don’t know if they’re ready yet,” Trump said, responding to a reporter's question during a White House press conference...

    Last Post By: eleganz Today, 08:50 PM Go to last post
    Swordsmyth

    Women Outed By Heitkamp Campaign As Domestic Violence Victims Are Looking To Sue Campaign

    Thread Starter: Swordsmyth

    After North Dakota Democratic Sen. Heidi Heitkamp’s campaign publicly named some women as victims of domestic violence without the women’s consent or knowledge, some of the women have announced they are getting ready to sue the campaign. CNN reported, “The misstep has led some women misidentified in the ad to decry the Democratic candidate and question how their names landed on the list, ...

    Last Post By: eleganz Today, 08:43 PM Go to last post
    goldenequity

    Fraud Upon the FISA Court Confirmed

    Thread Starter: goldenequity

    continued from here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?518161-Rep-Jim-Jordan-18-questions-in-2018-about-Russia-and-the-FBI ===================== FRAUD upon the COURT :mad: Confirmation: DOJ and FBI Used “Steele Dossier” for Application To FISA Court for Search Authority on Trump Campaign…...

    Last Post By: Swordsmyth Today, 08:30 PM Go to last post
    Swordsmyth

    EPA Reverses Obama Era Last Minute Uranium Mining Regulations

    Thread Starter: Swordsmyth

    The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced on Friday that it is withdrawing the pending rulemaking for uranium mining and thorium mill tailings. The regulations were put in place on Jan. 19, 2017, just hours before Barack Obama left office and President Donald Trump’s inauguration. “In a rush to regulate during the waning hours of the previous administration, the...

    Last Post By: Swordsmyth Today, 08:06 PM Go to last post
    timosman

    How The 'NPC' Meme Tries To Dehumanize 'SJWs'

    Thread Starter: timosman

    https://kotaku.com/how-the-npc-meme-tries-to-dehumanize-sjws-1829552261

    Last Post By: Danke Today, 07:49 PM Go to last post
    Krugminator2

    Murder Rate Drops to 33-Year Low

    Thread Starter: Krugminator2

    https://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95379&page=1 Read another article saying that it is possible violent crime is the lowest since pre-prohibition. Also noteworthy, it is much easier to get a gun now than in the past. I don't think one has to do with the other but it would seem in a normal world gun control would be less of an issue given this data.

    Last Post By: Swordsmyth Today, 07:45 PM Go to last post
    Swordsmyth

    PolitiFact Tries to Protect Dem Candidates, Exposed For Bogus ‘Fact-Checking’

    Thread Starter: Swordsmyth

    PolitiFact, which is absolutely a non-partisan “fact-checking” organization (and don’t you dare suggest otherwise, you looney conspiracy theorist) was forced to retract a bogus ruling that sought protect Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) from a Republican attack ad. “You know, that’s one thing the United States has that nobody else has, is the freedom to fly around and be affordable where a...

    Last Post By: eleganz Today, 06:59 PM Go to last post
    Zippyjuan

    Trump threatens to seal U.S.-Mexico border over migrant caravan. Can he do it?

    Thread Starter: Zippyjuan

    https://www.usatoday.com/news/ Election posturing.

    Last Post By: eleganz Today, 06:52 PM Go to last post
  • Gold Price Chart

    [Most Recent Quotes from www.kitco.com]
  • Silver Price Chart

  • Economics News & Discussion

    Zippyjuan

    Checkbooks Ready! US Marshals to Hold $4 Million Bitcoin Auction

    Thread Starter: Zippyjuan

    https://www.ccn.com/checkbooks-ready-us-marshals-to-hold-4-million-bitcoin-auction/ You will need to deposit $200,000 to participate in the auction. There will be six blocks of 100 bitcoins and one block of 60 coins up for bid. You need a separate deposit for each of the blocks you wish to bid on. Too late though- registration closed October 3rd. Winning bidders will be notified on...

    Last Post By: dannno Today, 09:15 PM Go to last post
    devil21

    Destruction of the US dollar

    Thread Starter: devil21

    UPDATE: Many of the links are dead but the texts of the deleted articles are still in this thread. We have ongoing threads that chronicle the progression of the downward spiral of things like the Friday bank closures, Corporate bankruptcies but we don't have one for the destruction of the dollar currently underway. We have a lot of articles spread around in different threads but no central...

    Last Post By: DamianTV Yesterday, 06:19 AM Go to last post
    eleganz

    Can a Free Market Med Clinic be successful operating w/out insurance in today's climate?

    Thread Starter: eleganz

    American healthcare industry is so convoluted and regulated that its very hard to even see where to begin dismantling the healthcare industrial complex without dramatically changing people's lives. How successful could a medical clinic be if somebody opened up shop, didn't take insurance and just took cash for a set visit or procedure? The profit incentive is with the insurance so nobody...

    Last Post By: Cleaner44 10-18-2018, 06:34 PM Go to last post
    devil21

    Interesting appeals court ruling in Canada - debt-based money is done?

    Thread Starter: devil21

    Just came across this video. It sounds important. (and make sure you read post #4 in this thread and the rest of the thread.)

    Last Post By: TheCount 10-18-2018, 04:30 PM Go to last post
    Bessalitskykh

    What is Blockchain?

    Thread Starter: Bessalitskykh

    Similar to how the world was changed and shaped by the advent of the internet, the future of Blockchain technology is set to change the world and the way in which individuals carry out their business. A Blockchain is a decentralized and secure database built over a secure network used to store data and relay information. Blockchains record and relay information and transactional data in...

    Last Post By: manavpatel 10-18-2018, 05:16 AM Go to last post
  • Bitcoin Price Chart

  • Living Free and Healthy

    Danke

    It is gonna be a cold winter.

    Thread Starter: Danke

    This fall the Indians on a remote reservation asked their new Chief Oyarde if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was a chief in a modern society, he’d never learned the old tribal secrets. He couldn’t look at the sky to predict what the winter was going to be like. "It's going to be a very cold winter." So just to be on the safe side, Oyarde told his tribe that the...

    Last Post By: oyarde Today, 06:33 PM Go to last post
    donnay

    Confirmed AGAIN: Sodium nitrite preservative in processed meat causes breast cancer

    Thread Starter: donnay

    All embedded links at the main link: https://naturalnews.com/2018-10-16-sodium-nitrite-processed-meat-causes-breast-cancer.html?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fzen.yandex.com

    Last Post By: Zippyjuan Today, 04:38 PM Go to last post
    Brian4Liberty

    Did you get your flu shot yet?

    Thread Starter: Brian4Liberty

    The flu shot this year may be worth getting. It contains updates that were not in last year’s vaccine. Last year (2017), the FDA simply used the same vaccine combination from the previous year (2016), and not only was it redundant and unnecessary for people who had been vaccinated the prior year, it was a poor match for the viruses that circulated last year and early this year, including a...

    Last Post By: Firestarter Today, 03:26 AM Go to last post
    DamianTV

    Microplastics Found In 90 Percent of Table Salt

    Thread Starter: DamianTV

    https://science.slashdot.org/story/18/10/18/2118230/microplastics-found-in-90-percent-of-table-salt

    Last Post By: jkr Yesterday, 03:16 PM Go to last post
    Swordsmyth

    Children Wrongly Diagnosed With ADHD for Being “Youngest in Their Class” – Study

    Thread Starter: Swordsmyth

    Pupils are being labelled as hyperactive and given medication when they are simply younger than others in their year, a study warns. Researchers examined the relationship between a child’s age relative to classmates and their chances of being diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). After reviewing 17 studies, covering more than 14million children, researchers ...

    Last Post By: DamianTV 10-18-2018, 07:33 PM Go to last post
    Itsback

    ‘No evidence’ high cholesterol causes heart disease, say doctors

    Thread Starter: Itsback

    There is no evidence that high levels of total cholesterol or of “bad” cholesterol cause heart disease, according to a new paper by 17 international physicians based on a review of patient data of almost 1.3 million people.The authors also say their review shows the use of statins – cholesterol lowering drugs – is “of doubtful benefit” when used as primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. ...

    Last Post By: DamianTV 10-18-2018, 04:04 AM Go to last post
  • Education & Thought Power

    idiom

    Length of the working day

    Thread Starter: idiom

    Hey, Where do I go for Austrian discussion of the length of the working day? Outside of Marx discussions about it and the forces controlling it are pretty thin on the ground. Any guidance appreciated.

    Last Post By: VIDEODROME Yesterday, 01:48 PM Go to last post
    timosman

    Open Borders Romantics

    Thread Starter: timosman

    https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/09/immigration-debate-melting-pot-or-civil-war-reihan-salam/

    Last Post By: Swordsmyth 10-18-2018, 04:18 PM Go to last post
    DamianTV

    Pop Quiz - Was the United States of America designed as a Democracy?

    Thread Starter: DamianTV

    Very simple question. Please explain your answers.

    Last Post By: DamianTV 10-18-2018, 02:49 PM Go to last post
    r3volution 3.0

    The Jury System & Democracy

    Thread Starter: r3volution 3.0

    @Swordsmyth recently bumped an old thread of his in which he criticized the jury system. I responded with some comments about democracy, and how it suffers from similar problems. In the interest of not derailing that thread, as per SS's request, here's a new one. Below is our exchange thus far.

    Last Post By: osan 10-18-2018, 12:23 PM Go to last post
    Rael

    Do Animals Have Natural Rights?

    Thread Starter: Rael

    Do animals have natural rights like humans? And if not, why?

    Last Post By: osan 10-18-2018, 07:25 AM Go to last post
    idiom

    Are there any an-caps that are not raging racists?

    Thread Starter: idiom

    Maybe its just New Zealand, but all the local an-cap groups are just full of people who think the NAP will unleash a White-only Utopia. Where are all the people who want liberties other than the liberty to consign oneself to an economic black-hole? Like they don't even hide it any more, they think Trump is going to literally commit mass genocide of everyone who isn't white and that this...

    Last Post By: idiom 10-17-2018, 10:52 PM Go to last post
  • Follow us on Twitter! Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our top news RSS Feed! New! Subscribe to us on YouTube!