View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

  1. Screwtape XXVIII

    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    MY DEAR WORMWOOD,


    When I told you not to fill your letters with rubbish about the war, I meant, of course, that I did not want to have your rather infantile rhapsodies about the death of men and the destruction of cities. In so far as the war really concerns the spiritual state of the patient, I naturally want full reports. And on this aspect you seem singularly obtuse. Thus you tell me !with glee that there is reason to expect heavy air raids on the town where the creature lives.
    ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Screwtape XXVII

    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    MY DEAR WORMWOOD,


    You seem to be doing very little good at present. The use of his "love" to distract his mind from the Enemy is, of course, obvious, but you reveal what poor use you are making of it when you say that the whole question of distraction and the wandering mind has now become one of the chief subjects of his prayers. That means you have largely failed. When this, or any other distraction, crosses his mind you ought to encourage him to thrust it away by
    ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Screwtape XXVI

    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    MY DEAR WORMWOOD,


    Yes; courtship is the time for sowing those seeds which will grow up ten years later into domestic hatred. The enchantment of unsatisfied desire produces results which the humans can be made to mistake for the results of charity. Avail yourself of the ambiguity in the word "Love": let them think they have solved by Love problems they have in fact only waived or postponed under the influence of the enchantment. While it lasts you have your chance to
    ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Screwtape XXV

    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    MY DEAR WORMWOOD,


    The real trouble about the set your patient is living in is that it is merely Christian. They all have individual interests, of course, but the bond remains mere Christianity. What we want, if men become Christians at all, is to keep them in the state of mind I call "Christianity And". You know—Christianity and the Crisis, Christianity and the New Psychology, Christianity and the New Order, Christianity and Faith Healing, Christianity and Psychical
    ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Screwtape XXIV

    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    MY DEAR WORMWOOD,


    I have been in correspondence with Slumtrimpet who is in charge of your patient's young woman, and begin to see the chink in her armour. It is an unobtrusive little vice which she shares with nearly all women who have grown up in an intelligent circle united by a clearly defined belief; and it consists in a quite untroubled assumption that the outsiders who do not share this belief are really too stupid and ridiculous. The males, who habitually meet these outsiders,
    ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized