PDA

View Full Version : Help with Getting Motivated to Canvass

NJ Carlos
01-24-2008, 03:37 PM
I've registered as a precinct leader and I'm getting all set to canvass but I'm feeling a bit jittery about the whole thing. I'm not exactly the most extroverted, and the thought of introducing ideas to people who may be passionate about opposing those ideas is somewhat intimidating. What I'm looking for is some insight and advise as to how to approach individuals and possibly some scripts I can become familiar with. My goal, of course, would be to not memorize but give myself general guidelines or rules for engaging discussion in a way that isn't offense or confrontational. So fire away people, let me know what you think and maybe some of your experiences. I'd like to cover my precinct before Super Tuesday.

Indy Vidual
01-24-2008, 03:40 PM
When you find someone who is actually interested in politics, then it is important to ask questions and listen.
Learn what they are interested in before talking very much.

NJ Carlos
01-24-2008, 03:50 PM
When you find someone who is actually interested in politics, then it is important to ask questions and listen.
Learn what they are interested in before talking very much.

So I should expect a large majority of the time dedicated to handing out lit than actually discussing issues?

sora
01-24-2008, 04:18 PM
The hardest part is getting started and knocking on the first couple of doors. Once you get into the swing of things its actually kind of fun -- even if you are not an extrovert. Practice first on neighbors you already know if that helps you feel more confident knocking on strangers' doors.

I don't know what state you're in, but Ohio's website -- www.ohio4ronpaul.com -- has a good door-to-door canvassing guide as a downloadable word document. It's the "list of tips" link on the resources page.

Many houses won't have anyone home. I leave a slim jim stamped with my phone number on their doorknob (a hole-punch and a rubber band is the cheapest way to attach it.)

When someone answers the door, SMILE, MAKE EYE CONTACT, and say something like, "Hi! I'm your neighbor on X St, and I'm volunteering for Ron Paul's presidential campaign. Are you planning on voting in the primary?" If they say yes, ask if they know which candidate they are supporting. If they're undecided, ask what issues are important to them. Then talk about how Ron is the best candidate for THEIR ISSUE, and leave them a slim jim (I always point out the web address on the bottom and encourage them to check out his positions.) Be friendly and pleasant and thank them for their time, even if they're a Hillary supporter or a non-voter or call Ron a kook. Keep good notes so you can follow up later with likely undecided voters.

Again, the hardest part is getting started. Once you're out there, it feels REALLY GOOD to be doing something productive and helpful for the campaign. And when you find undecided voters who are interested in learning more about Ron Paul, you know you're making a HUGE DIFFERENCE for the campaign and the future of this country.

JustBcuz
01-24-2008, 04:27 PM
The hardest part is getting started and knocking on the first couple of doors. Once you get into the swing of things its actually kind of fun -- even if you are not an extrovert. Practice first on neighbors you already know if that helps you feel more confident knocking on strangers' doors.

I don't know what state you're in, but Ohio's website -- www.ohio4ronpaul.com -- has a good door-to-door canvassing guide as a downloadable word document. It's the "list of tips" link on the resources page.

Many houses won't have anyone home. I leave a slim jim stamped with my phone number on their doorknob (a hole-punch and a rubber band is the cheapest way to attach it.)

When someone answers the door, SMILE, MAKE EYE CONTACT, and say something like, "Hi! I'm your neighbor on X St, and I'm volunteering for Ron Paul's presidential campaign. Are you planning on voting in the primary?" If they say yes, ask if they know which candidate they are supporting. If they're undecided, ask what issues are important to them. Then talk about how Ron is the best candidate for THEIR ISSUE, and leave them a slim jim (I always point out the web address on the bottom and encourage them to check out his positions.) Be friendly and pleasant and thank them for their time, even if they're a Hillary supporter or a non-voter or call Ron a kook. Keep good notes so you can follow up later with likely undecided voters.

Again, the hardest part is getting started. Once you're out there, it feels REALLY GOOD to be doing something productive and helpful for the campaign. And when you find undecided voters who are interested in learning more about Ron Paul, you know you're making a HUGE DIFFERENCE for the campaign and the future of this country.

This guy's on it. :)

Once you get through the third door it's easy. 95% of the people you talk to will be polite. They may not agree with you or Dr. Paul; but that's OK, don't push 'em too hard. You planted a seed regardless. You'll be shocked at how easy this really is.

That one guy who yells at you or is rude? Just ignore him. He's got bigger issues. Just say something like "Sorry to bother you." and calmly walk away.

Once you get going, you'll find that this is really easy, and it even starts to be fun.

John P Slevin
01-24-2008, 04:31 PM
I've registered as a precinct leader and I'm getting all set to canvass but I'm feeling a bit jittery about the whole thing.

If you want any help feel free to call me 916-635-4662 or email me at directaction@yahoo.com I also can call you at your convenience.

Since 1984 I've managed direct voter contact efforts all over the country and am very experienced at training people how to do it.

WilliamC
01-24-2008, 04:33 PM
If you want any help feel free to call me 916-636-4662 or email me at directaction@yahoo.com I also can call you at your convenience.

Since 1984 I've managed direct voter contact efforts all over the country and am very experienced at training people how to do it.

I might take you up on this too. I'm waiting for my slim jims to arrive so I can start canvassing. I'm not too nervous but I've never done it before and certainly could use advice from a pro.

tomveil
01-24-2008, 04:58 PM

This guy is right on.

NJ Carlos
01-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks for all the keen advice guys! :)

I'm sure it'll get easy, the hard part will be starting. But, I will definitely head out this week. What I've done is order different packets of slim jims, such as those pertaining to specific issues like immigration/sovereignty and veteran's rights. My goal is to find out what issue people hold most important and give them the most appropriate slim jim, while encouraging them to learn more at Dr. Paul's official campaign website. Has anyone else tried this method?

JustBcuz
01-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all the keen advice guys! :)

I'm sure it'll get easy, the hard part will be starting. But, I will definitely head out this week. What I've done is order different packets of slim jims, such as those pertaining to specific issues like immigration/sovereignty and veteran's rights. My goal is to find out what issue people hold most important and give them the most appropriate slim jim, while encouraging them to learn more at Dr. Paul's official campaign website. Has anyone else tried this method?

Suck it up and get through three doors and you'll be ROLLING!!! :)

Having various versions of the slims, and getting the right one to the right person is a VERY effective method of targeting.

One point, and a few here might disagree, but I found when dealing with neo-connish Republicans, focus on the economy & maybe the border. Do not mention the war AT ALL, unless they bring it up. If they bring up the war, tie it back to the economy & the tanking dollar. If you've got a strong Nat'l defense slim hit them with that too.

Good luck! :)

liberteebell
01-24-2008, 07:07 PM

Great advice! If you're still nervous, write out a script that you're comfortable with and practice with someone or even in the mirror. Asking questions and listening for the answers are key to get someone interested.

John P Slevin
01-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I might take you up on this too. I'm waiting for my slim jims to arrive so I can start canvassing. I'm not too nervous but I've never done it before and certainly could use advice from a pro.

Sure, anyone needing help on any aspect of direct voter contact feel free to call and/or email me anytime

John P Slevin 916-635-4662 directaction@yahoo.com