PDA

View Full Version : Issues Most Important to College Students

Fields
01-24-2008, 02:43 PM
In your opinions what are the issues MOST important to you guys and gals are are students or near that age?

Fields
01-24-2008, 02:58 PM
:confused:

micahnelson
01-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Halo, alcohol, and sex.

this is why they don't vote. Please don't take this to be dismissive, but you won't find a good "sense of the average American" here.

Fields
01-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Halo, alcohol, and sex.

this is why they don't vote. Please don't take this to be dismissive, but you won't find a good "sense of the average American" here.

I don't think my adviser to our school newspaper would like that answer. I'm not sure why but I really think she wouldn't.. :rolleyes:

skyfi
01-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Halo, alcohol, and sex.

I'm in college, and I'm only 19 so I'd say im still pretty young, and I don't care for alchohol or halo. I actually have a great job, own my own home and am debt free (minus that whole houe thing).

chiefsmurph
01-24-2008, 03:09 PM
halo alcohol sex sounds about right.

pkoury
01-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Halo is dead on! Although I do own my own business. All of the issues appeal to me. I guess most importantly our freedoms from being bothered, the internet from being regulated, and the war are the most important to me. Not to mention the smelly ass dollar.

theswedishchef
01-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Halo, alcohol, and sex.

Seconded :p

Maltheus
01-24-2008, 03:12 PM
I met this one guy in a meetup from a local college who was announcing his full support of Ron Paul to us and then asked what his positions were on things. I was kind of shocked. Then again, there are some other college students who seem well versed in economics, so who knows. Given what little time we have left, I think we need to concentrate on people who will actually show up. Maybe visit retirement homes or something. After we go third party, we can get back to working on the college crowd.

Rob
01-24-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm in college, and I'm only 19 so I'd say im still pretty young, and I don't care for alchohol or halo. I actually have a great job, own my own home and am debt free (minus that whole houe thing).

I like it's safe to say that you represent approximately 0.01% of all people in your age group.

puppetmaster
01-24-2008, 03:14 PM

ah but you left out the sex part....

Goldwater Conservative
01-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Income and payroll taxes make paying for college and saving up money in your first job after graduating much more difficult. Inflation is also a killer. A belligerent foreign policy and the possibility of a draft are other big issues.

JAlli41
01-24-2008, 03:18 PM
DRAFT, civil liberties, social security, now that Im over 21, drinking age is no longer a concern, for me monetary policy, but im definitely different from the norm on that one

theswedishchef
01-24-2008, 03:23 PM
on a more serious note than my previous one =P I would say that these are quit important

1. Net neutrality (free speach)
2. Peace

vroomery
01-24-2008, 03:25 PM
i'm 19. My biggest issues in no particular order are:

Fiscal responsibility (which includes greatly reduced government spending, a sales tax of next to nothing, no income tax, and a dollar that is backed by gold, silver, or other hard assets)

A non-interventionalist foreign policy

A secure border that restores the rule of law in imigration

Personal Liberties that give each citizen the right to make any choices that want to their body as long as they do not affect someone elses body (boo to the patriot act and homegrown terrorism act).

Allowing for drilling in alaska and prosecuting those that continue to inhibit the development of alternate fuel sources (hydrogen, ethenol)

Providing a forum by which citizens can choose the most cost effective heath care plan for themselves and letting competition drive prices down. Fighting frivilous law suits that attack doctors for doing what they are supposed to be doing and in doing so driving down the price of doctor bills and medicine.

JSCHAFER1337
01-24-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm 20 and in college. I'd say the war in Iraq and the loss of civil liberties are on the minds of most college students, at least when they are forced to think about it.

MsDee
01-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Halo, alcohol, and sex.

Ah yes, I forgot, College students are drooling idiots.

Income and payroll taxes make paying for college and saving up money in your first job after graduating much more difficult. Inflation is also a killer. A belligerent foreign policy and the possibility of a draft are other big issues.

Yes I agree with all of these statements. Ending the Patriot Act is a big thing for me personally.

Maltheus
01-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Man, colleges have really changed. In my day it would have been simple. Tell em, "under a Ron Paul presidency, you'll be able to buy kind bud at schwag prices."

bc2208
01-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I love halo.

That being said, here are my important issues:

Bringing sanity to the "war on terror"
Sound Money
Income Taxes
Health Freedom

More generally, less and less government

theswedishchef
01-24-2008, 03:32 PM

College (University) in sweden is free...:eek:

skyfi
01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
ah but you left out the sex part....

I was just being honest :)

My big issues:
1. Ending the American Empire
2. Monetary Policy
3. Ending the drug war
4. Taxes

This kind of ties into an essay I have to write so I think I will take this oppurtunity to ask for some responses.

I have to write a 2 page essay over 2 laws I would pass if I was president, and why. Now I haven't looked up how everything works exactly but I would like to hit the same goals I have in the 4 issues I listed... So if anyone has any tips on how to word this correctly...

skyfi
01-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Man, colleges have really changed. In my day it would have been simple. Tell em, "under a Ron Paul presidency, you'll be able to buy kind bud at schwag prices."

I don't think the times have really changed, we are all just closet stoners and don't speak of it in public anymore. Or at least thats how it is where I go to college.

CzargwaR
01-24-2008, 03:39 PM
20 here, my most important issue is economics, but almost everything falls under economics... =)

zach
01-24-2008, 03:53 PM
It seems like that in my college the war and civil rights are the important issues.
It's either that or not even caring about the election.
But look at this screenshot! It's my college's Facebook network for posted items.

http://yourmom123.fileave.com/screenshot.jpg

Something's going on around campus.. :D

Greenskin
01-24-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm 18, freshmen in college.

Most important issues to me:
1. End War in Iraq
2. End the Drug War
3. Return Civil Liberties

Economy is important, but to be honest, i don't have a fucking clue about it.

majinkoola
01-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Being from Arizona, my #1 is immigration, but I go to an NC college and almost nobody cares about that except me.

The #1 issue for liberals seems to be universal health care, while for everybody else (including neo-cons, paleo-cons, libertarians, and people who don't care about politics) it's lowering taxes. Of course many of them don't know about/mind inflation and want big government as well.

Trigonx
01-24-2008, 04:10 PM
i'm 21, 4th year in college

issues important to me
1. ECONOMY!!!!!!!!!(reason i found Ron Paul)
2. Restoring our liberties
3. Getting the hell out of Iraq
4. Ending this bullshit of a war on Drugs, i want some cheap kind bud!!

RedLightning
01-24-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't think the times have really changed, we are all just closet stoners and don't speak of it in public anymore.

I just filled out a form 4473, so of course I've never done any illegal drugs.

MikeStanart
01-24-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm a college student and:

"Will I have enough money to buy Booze, and donate to Ron Paul?"

J/K of course.

Ozwest
01-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Who cares...

They don't fucking vote

Anyway...

MaidenFan
01-24-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm 22 and a college student. My biggest issues are:
1) Removing Federal Reserve/Income tax
2) Removing DEA
3) Ability to opt out of Social Security (this should be HUGE for all young people imo, since we're paying into a system from which we won't receive one red cent).
4) Withdrawal from Iraq
5) Civil Liberties

But all the other issues are critical too. Basically I've been thinking like Paul since I was a kid. I always knew freedom + free markets = unbeatable.

Everyone dismissing college students please stfu you have no idea what you're talking about. Without college students there would be no revolution.

X_805
01-24-2008, 04:27 PM
1. Economic Policy (What's sad is that the federal government isn't even supposed to have much of a role in the economy, but it does currently.)
2. Principles of Federalism (I want my government closer to me, not a thousand miles away.)
3. Foreign Policy (Too many entanglements.)

Basically it could all be reasonably solved by simply following the constitution.

Kade
01-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Halo, alcohol, and sex.

C'mon Micah... You can't possibly believe this...

http://nevadasagebrush.com/files/2007/10/news-protest-05.jpg

http://www.virginia.edu/insideuva/2006/08/images/Living_Wage1.jpg

http://www.usyd.edu.au/senate/images/unihistory4/SUPRA3-550.JPG

mello
01-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Net Neutrality

No Taxing the Internet

Drug Laws

Taxing of Tips

Putting money in a failing Social Security system

Oneironaut07
01-28-2008, 03:38 PM
I am going to say that Partying, Sex, and diversionary activities are atop my priorities list right now
lol but from a political vantage i can tell you that these issues have brought me to ron paul

1. Noninterventionism
2. Eliminating the Drug Enforcement Agency/Ending the war on drugs
3. Civil Liberties
4. Economic Prosperity
5. Political Consistency

Kade
01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Net Neutrality

No Taxing the Internet

Drug Laws

Taxing of Tips

Putting money in a failing Social Security system

+1234827483

I'm going to add: The war, Civil Liberties, and Separation of Government money to Churches.

malkusm
01-28-2008, 04:02 PM
I resent the posters that come before me who have said things to the effect of "college students don't vote, so who cares what their issues are?" I am a college student who has already voted, canvassed, written letters, you name it. But the reason it bothers me more than anything, is that stereotyping college students in this manner is completely the opposite of all of Ron Paul's stances on civil liberties (which these same people agree with) - that collectivism is a tool which only disenfranchises the minority and leads to anguish. I don't know what walks of life those few people are, just keep in mind that I am an individual, and thus don't possess the traits you claim to be "college student" traits. A lot of non-college students don't vote, either

Anyway, top issues for me:

1) Economy. Simply because everything else flows through the economy - the war, social security, health care, immigration, etc. I'd appreciate it if I could work here rather than overseas when I finally get my master's in 5 years.

2) Iraq War/National Sovereignty. For the first time in a while I hear a candidate saying things like "policing the world" and "national sovereignty," ideas that I've been preaching to friends for years. It shouldn't be the initiative of the United States to govern the rest of the world - we're doing a pretty lousy job of governing ourselves.

Caravello
01-28-2008, 04:03 PM
It doesn't seem THAT long ago when I was a college grad, but I think the most important issues will be finding a job and not getting drafted. I think secondary issues will be tax-free investment accounts for retirement and the price of gas.