PDA

View Full Version : Being a Ron Paul supporter has me thinking of running for congress

driller
01-24-2008, 01:39 PM
After getting so involved with Ron Paul's campaign and working to get votes out etc. I have been seriously thinking about running for congress. I think it is too late to do the ground work, but perhaps in two years.

Wouldn't it be great if in every state we elect Paul suporters into congress. We already have the support network started. We could carry the movement even further and make some real changes.

If Paul get's in we could back him up. If he is not in then we can all unite and try again in 4 years, and we will have some serious help with everyone in congress.

My only concern is that I may not have enough money to run. My net worth is only about 7 million at this point. I have to compete with Chandler and glendale AZ.

How would you even go about finding a campaign advisor and staff?

skiingff
01-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Um I think you have plenty of money to run.

Jim Forsythe has decided to run ( http://www.jimforsythe.com ) and about 5 others for Congress, including one on this board.

Also Ron Paul endorsed someone for Senate.

I say do it!

It's NOT too late.

Grandson of Liberty
01-24-2008, 01:45 PM
do it.

driller
01-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Hard to find the staff to start this and also to get the preliminary petitions etc.

Also as a republican is it ok to run against another republican that has been in office for 4 terms?

bp2519
01-24-2008, 01:48 PM
"my net worth is only 7 million"

Goldwater Conservative
01-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Hard to find the staff to start this and also to get the preliminary petitions etc.

Also as a republican is it ok to run against another republican that has been in office for 4 terms?

You'll definitely have a hard time unseating an incumbent, especially in a primary, but it can and has been done. Ron Paul did it in '96. The good thing is that turnout is very low for primary elections and for midterm elections and thus extremely low for primary elections in midterm election years, so a grassroots campaign can be very powerful indeed. That might be the best time to strike, unless, say, Ron Paul wins this year, becomes a very popular president, and you want to rid his coattails when he runs for reelection.

AlexMerced
01-24-2008, 02:29 PM
I would be if I wasn't 22, but I'm working on spreading awareness of myself

http://mercedforfreedom.com

JAlli41
01-24-2008, 02:31 PM
if you work your butt off, know the issues, talk to the old folks, and answer every question, that incumbent will find himself in the fight for his life and he wont even realize it, I wonder how many incumbent Congressmen actually go out and do real campaign work every 2 years, I know my congressman, Barney Frank is never around

Yom
01-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Do it, the grassroots supports you. Don't worry about the money, we got your back. ;)

InLoveWithRon
01-24-2008, 02:43 PM
After getting so involved with Ron Paul's campaign and working to get votes out etc. I have been seriously thinking about running for congress. I think it is too late to do the ground work, but perhaps in two years.

Wouldn't it be great if in every state we elect Paul suporters into congress. We already have the support network started. We could carry the movement even further and make some real changes.

If Paul get's in we could back him up. If he is not in then we can all unite and try again in 4 years, and we will have some serious help with everyone in congress.

My only concern is that I may not have enough money to run. My net worth is only about 7 million at this point. I have to compete with Chandler and glendale AZ.

How would you even go about finding a campaign advisor and staff?

great !! This is one of the major points and benefits of the Ron Paul revolution. To have like minded people like you get involved in government bettering the future of the country.

~River~
01-24-2008, 02:44 PM
"my net worth is only 7 million"

It's all relative in the arena he is looking to compete in. 7 million net worth is not the same as,for example, Mitt Romneys 100's of millions in net worth. 7kk isn't much if you consider the fall of the dollar and the amount of time he has left to secure his COMFORTABLE retirement.

stevenstremciuc
01-24-2008, 03:15 PM
I highly recommend this film documenting the story about a political neophyte running for office against an established political machine, to anyone looking to do the same thing. It is called Can Mr Smith Get To Washington Anymore? (http://www.mrsmithmovie.com/)

driller
01-24-2008, 04:08 PM
We really need to start thinking two years from now and plan who we want in office. We can make a difference and get the Pualites into place to take over congress.

If we can get a nice website running and then all who want to run and list by state and their agendas etc. We can take this movement even further and make some serious changes with our Gov. We need to get ron paul supporters in each state excited to put people into congress.

firebirdnation
01-24-2008, 04:12 PM
The hard part will be sticking to what you believe after you get elected. The is what makes Dr. Paul such a remarkable person and a once in a lifetime candidate! Good luck if you decide to run.

Trigonx
01-24-2008, 04:13 PM
I've been thinking the same but I am only 21 and still have a lot i want to do before i would run for office.

Bruehound
01-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Please get training and run professional campaigns. I woudl suggest running for state legislature before attempting a run for congress(unless you have a spare $500K laying around).

InLoveWithRon
01-24-2008, 04:15 PM
I've been thinking the same but I am only 21 and still have a lot i want to do before i would run for office.

The way things are going.. You won't have that opportunity to do much, if anything anyways.

hueylong
01-24-2008, 04:19 PM
I run campaigns for a living and have been around politics for 35 years.

If you're thinking of running for Congress -- please feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to help you evaluate the situation.

JMann
01-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Running for office is a dirty game and you have to be ready to have you and your family taken through the mud. It is a shame but you have to have very thick skin to get into that business.

constituent
01-24-2008, 04:22 PM

Iwantchange
01-24-2008, 04:23 PM
I feel the same way!

vertesc
01-24-2008, 04:36 PM
First thing to do is get involved in higher levels of the organization for some political campaigns. Doesn't matter what for - mayor, councilman, governor, senate... just get in and see how things are done. You'll meet LOTS of good contacts, and get a strong understanding of how the electoral system works (and is worked). Then run for something small. Councilman maybe. Then run for something bigger - Mayor. You can make a serious difference the whole way through.

THEN you can get involved in federal politics, and have a good chance.

vertesc
01-24-2008, 04:38 PM
BTW, I'm thinking the same thing. I'm getting my citizenship in a couple of years... look for me!

robatsu
01-24-2008, 04:54 PM
I, along with 6 or 7 other MD RP supporters, am running in my district. It is a fascinating experience and just being in the race as a voice for a particular point of view does actually help set the agenda. At a recent candidate forum covering 3 MD congressional districts, it was amazing how the presence of 3 RP candidates, among the 10 debating, really caused the others to swear support for constitution, low taxes, limited government, personal/economic liberties and so forth. Really was uncanny.

www.jayroberts2008.com