PDA

View Full Version : RON PAUL is for BIRTHING Freedom. Now THAT'S Hot!

L.A.mama
01-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Please see the site of Canadian midwife GloriaLemay.com (http://glorialemay.com/) before reading the following.

The following letter is from a midwifery group's discussion about Ron Paul. It was the post that got me to looking into him. It's been a Ron Paul marathon in our home ever since -in Jesus' name of course!

As a home birthing mother, the part that won me over was this: "I then asked him, "...so you would be in favor of the licensure of direct entry midwives?". He laughed and said that He isn't even in favor of licensure for physicians!"

Hi Everyone,

Pardon me if I'm off base, but I thought there was recently a
discussion about presidential candidates and c-section rates, etc.

I came across some info about Ron Paul, who is running for president
that I thought sounded very promising. I, personally, am so thrilled
about him!

He's a retired OB/GYN and states here
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7100101451.html
that his c-section rate was around 15%.

On another list I'm on, someone from the North Carolina Friends of
Midwives yahoo group sent out this message:

Ron Paul for Freedom in Birth

Fri Nov 2, 2007 6:55 am (PST)

Dear All,

Yesterday my family and I drove the 3 hours to Greenville, SC. To be
present for the opening of Ron Paul's new campaign office there. We
arrived just in time to hear his moving speech to a whopping crowd of
about 500 supporters. For those of you who aren't familiar with Ron
Paul, he is a freedom-fighter, a constitutionalist, a ten-term US
Congressman and an OB-GYN by profession.

I had the opportunity to ask him his opinion of homebirth at the end
of his speech. I doubted he would give much time to my question
considering ACOG's stance and all the cameras present. But I am still
giddy from his response, he couldn't have given a better answer.

He started out by saying that the vast majority of births are very
safe by nature and it is rare for a life-threatening complication to
occur, so most normal births would be perfectly safe at home. He
pointed out that because of the possibility of complications, it is
important to have a trained, skilled attendant.

I then asked him, "...so you would be in favor of the licensure of
direct entry midwives?". He laughed and said that He isn't even in
favor of licensure for physicians! He talked about licensure being a
result of the previous prohibition of a profession and a form of
government control that ultimately denegrates the quality of care and
interferes with the patient/provider relationship where decisions
should be made.

I described to him the situation in Oregon. He said that, yes, that
would be the ideal situation, where families have true freedom of
choice to choose the type of care they want and midwives aren't being
prohibited from practicing or forced to accept government control over
the way they practice through licensure. He added that licensure is of
course an improvement over prohibition (which is what we have now)
because it would allow for doctor back-up and open channels of
communication that would make homebirth safer for mothers and babies.

WHAT A GREAT ANSWER! I am hoping that my husband caught the whole
thing on tape.

A young friend of ours had the opportunity to ask him about the
decline in education in the USA over the past 40 years. That exchange
has already been posted on youtube as a part of the speech he gave
later that day in Spartanburg. And again he was amazingly honest about
his opinion and insightful. I am a complete convert now, Ron(sic) Paul
for President! ;-)

I just thought you would all be interested in that! It really made my
week.

__________________________________________________ _____

. See the YouTube childbearing channel to gain a better understanding of why home birth is not only the best, but a very freedom loving, American way for a family to birth: http://youtube.com/profile?user=childbearing/

bbartlog
01-24-2008, 10:59 AM
It's nice to hear that this is important to someone else. My wife did some training as a midwife (unfinished) and had our second and third children at home (unassisted, except to a very minor extent by me). Paul's stance on health freedom is just one of many reasons we support him, but it is a big one!

Pauliana
01-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Wow. That's beautiful. C-section rate only 15%. That's got to be MUCH lower than normal. Seems like with hospitals these days its almost 50/50

ashleep
01-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Awesome! Do you mind if I C/P this to my homebirth yahoo group? :)

(from a fellow HBing mama) :)

L.A.mama
01-31-2008, 08:55 PM
Please spread the word! Publish it! Tell it! Thank you!

But be warned. You'd think that ALL midwives would embrace the message of birthing freedom. But not so.

That's one of the many "side" benefits of the Ron Paul r3VOLution. It's been an amazing clarifier of what is what and who is who and where they stand.

Btw, does anyone know what the laws were, if any in regards to lay midwifery in earlyAmerica as all American Presidents were home born until... you guess : )

Something that really does compliment the "birthing freedom" position is Dr. Paul's Pro-life stance. I would venture to guess that the majority of midwives or those who advocate birth at home who fail to join the r3VOLution would also take opposition to Ron Paul's position on abortion -that being that it is an act of violence.

Not only is Dr. Paul the prime sponsor of H.R. 300, which would negate the effect of Roe v. Wade('nuff said,) but "Roe"(Norma Jean McCorvey)of R. v W. just endorsed Paul! -HUGE news and all we hear from the controlled media and some of the many so-called pro life organizations is silence or endorsements and praise for globalist snakes (http://bible.cc/luke/3-7.htm). WHY? Who exactly in the pro-life movement is endorsing Paul and who isn't? What ties, affilations, allegiances etc. do they have or not have? Moreover, what spirit are they of?

I thank God this world is not my home.

TuningIn
04-14-2008, 02:38 PM
That's exactly what I would expect Ron Paul to say.

A local midwife is under fire in Ohio.

As long as there is licensure for physicians, prosecutors get to do whatever they want to protect the birth industry from the free market.

Since there is a lower totem pole, certified nurse midwives, the direct entry midwives can be prosecuted as violating the statutes that allow for certified nurse midwives to not be charged as practicing medicine without a license.

They are trying to create another rung on the totem pole so that direct entry midwives can only be charged with not getting the direct entry midwives' license (a light fine instead of possible jail time for practicing "certified nurse midwifery" without a license). It's not a purist libertarian solution, but it is practical considering the totem pole of medical licensing is not going away anytime soon and every moment the midwives are fearful is more women who will give birth without trained assistance even if they would have preferred some.

If you'd like to support the legislative effort, it can be done at safebirthohio.org.

Cinderella
04-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Wow. That's beautiful. C-section rate only 15%. That's got to be MUCH lower than normal. Seems like with hospitals these days its almost 50/50

women are actually given a choice of going natural or a c section

soapmistress
04-14-2008, 06:23 PM
I absolutely admire his stance on this. So many MD's are condescending and insulting to allied health providers.

I am (hopefully) going to be sitting for my board exam with the IBLCE this year and I would love to see more midwives around! The more unnecessary interventions occur in birth, the more there is a chance that breastfeeding will have difficulties as well. Yay for those who see birth as a natural process vs. a condition requiring treatment!

pinkmandy
04-14-2008, 09:26 PM
I love him for this, too.

Really, the number of women who die in this country each year because of unnecessary procedures is scary. I lost a friend last summer to an amniotic fluid embolism resulting from the pressure of the fluid when her water was forcibly broken right after an anaphylactic reaction to an iv painkiller. She left behind a toddler and a newborn son they were lucky to save, not to mention a devastated husband. She was in her early twenties.

I admire all of you in the profession, giving women choices and a voice.