PDA

View Full Version : Digg changes it's algorithm...

tommy7154
01-24-2008, 01:36 AM
Digg.com changed it's algorithm so that it's top stories are more diversified and get more interest from a more general audience.

http://blog.digg.com/?p=106

That's bad news for Ron Paul stories on digg (as well as Apple, Scientology etc...). My argument is that the number of diggs should decide on the top stories because just as a thousand people can digg a story 1000 more can bury it. I just wanted to rant because it pisses me off.... If they don't fix it they can go fuck themselves...

:mad:

cputter
01-24-2008, 01:45 AM
don't fret, don't fret. Ron Paul has a very diverse base.

How do they determine from which part of "society" things get dug? ie. how do they know I, and everyone else on this forum support RP?

I'm from Germany, and can't possibly be connected to anyone else on here. Unless they're tracking my internet surfing behaviour or something?

Is Digg a 'Test Site' of the "Thought Crimes" bill, HR 1955?

libertythor
01-24-2008, 01:48 AM
Look at the many economic articles that have made the front page of digg! The bury brigade used to squash any that would support RP's position.

The key here is to get them on the front page and then get the first 10 comments on there.

Shink
01-24-2008, 01:49 AM

How do they determine from which part of "society" things get dug? ie. how do they know I, and everyone else on this forum support RP?

I'm from Germany, and can't possibly be connected to anyone else on here. Unless they're tracking my internet surfing behaviour or something?

Is Digg a 'Test Site' of the "Thought Crimes" bill, HR 1955?

Read my sig. It came from a digg comment.

jarofclay
01-24-2008, 01:50 AM
they don't want people to majority rule their system. I don't blame them. I don't think Ron Paul would either. It's their constitutional right to do whatever they want with their site.

mexicanpizza
01-24-2008, 01:51 AM
Digg is irrelevant in getting the supporters that RP needs.

libertythor
01-24-2008, 01:52 AM
Read my sig. It came from a digg comment.

LMAO We need to focus on getting more issues articles on Digg. It is working right now! Check out the profile for libertythor. :D

The comment's section on these issues articles will tilt towards RP in a heart beat.....with a lot of whining from 2 or 3 bury brigaders of course!

Shink
01-24-2008, 01:55 AM
LMAO We need to focus on getting more issues articles on Digg. It is working right now! Check out the profile for libertythor. :D

The comment's section on these issues articles will tilt towards RP in a heart beat.....with a lot of whining from 2 or 3 bury brigaders of course!

You are a digg VIKING, man. *metal horns*

tommy7154
01-24-2008, 02:01 AM
they don't want people to majority rule their system. I don't blame them. I don't think Ron Paul would either. It's their constitutional right to do whatever they want with their site.

I can see that but I still disagree with it. Of course it's their right to do whatever they want with the site and I can choose not to visit it anymore but the point is an algorithm that does that imo just isn't fair.

Anyone who wants to submit stories on there has an equal opportunity. They also have an equal opportunity to digg and bury stories. The only thing that new users would not have full equality in is getting their stories right onto the front page. That's because they don't have the friends, or brigades, to make that happen. They DO however have an equal opportunity to get those friends and use the system to their full advantage just as everyone else does. If they took the time like these so called top submitters do, they too could become a top submitter.

Meh I don't know what to say, I just don't agree with an algorithm deciding over people.

nodope0695
01-24-2008, 02:02 AM
Digg.com changed it's algorithm so that it's top stories are more diversified and get more interest from a more general audience.

http://blog.digg.com/?p=106

That's bad news for Ron Paul stories on digg (as well as Apple, Scientology etc...). My argument is that the number of diggs should decide on the top stories because just as a thousand people can digg a story 1000 more can bury it. I just wanted to rant because it pisses me off.... If they don't fix it they can go fuck themselves...

:mad:

What it sounds like is that they're subtly censoring things that ought to be at the top of the page. They're doing what the MSM does...try to please the majority at the expense of the minority.

Ogren
01-24-2008, 02:08 AM

No other republican candidate can say that :)

tommy7154
01-24-2008, 02:14 AM
What it sounds like is that they're subtly censoring things that ought to be at the top of the page. They're doing what the MSM does...try to please the majority at the expense of the minority.

Yah to me it sounds like they're doing it by submitters. I sure would like to know how theyre tracking it and how that algorithm works ;)

Also I don't think that the MSM is trying to please the majority. They're trying (and succeeding) to CREATE the majority. Ron Paul could quite easily be right there in popularity with Obama, Clinton, McCain...the MSM just chooses to censor Ron Paul and that's what drives the general publics opinion on the candidates. Or their lack of an opinion altogether...

libertythor
01-24-2008, 02:16 AM
The secret behind the Digg algorithm is to post an article that proves Ron Paul correct and not mention RP in the title or description. Then you make sure the first 5 comments at least are logically pro Ron Paul!

You want to hit a diversity of topics. e.g. Business, Opinion, World News, Technology etc...and not just Politics The new algorithm gives weight to fewer diggs in subjects that get little attention.

Business was rocking for RP today!

Make lemonade out of lemons folks.

ddoggphx
01-24-2008, 02:16 AM

QFT

We need to get the base now...religious right and the baby boomers and older.

Deliver them, and we can win. And they are digging, not in mass numbers.

libertythor
01-24-2008, 02:20 AM
QFT

We need to get the base now...religious right and the baby boomers and older.

Deliver them, and we can win. And they are digging, not in mass numbers.

CBS now monitors the Digg front page for stories that would be good to report on.

goldismoney
01-24-2008, 02:22 AM
I'm not one to blame everything on 'conspiracy theories' but...

Check out one of the Digg founder's comments about being invited and attending the Bohemian Grove (ie., elitist retreat; google it) on his weekly video show (before it gets shut down):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E25W8g5IIBM&e

As an aside, YouTube seems to have frozen the counter for this video. Hmmm.....

Joe3113
01-24-2008, 02:23 AM

Wrong. 99% of digg are Obama supporters. it gets 18 million hits per day. Unfortunetly the owners hate Ron Paul and are doing anything they can to stop the articles getting to the front page.

Of course canvassing is better, but for those of us who live overseas, this is a good way we can help.