PDA

View Full Version : Canvassing strategy for Dems

immanent12
01-24-2008, 01:30 AM
So I've been trying to get my facts straight about the Clinton Administration for those times I run into left-leaning people who RAVE about how great the economy was under Bill and his 'surplus.'

I have a vague idea about how this 'surplus' happened, namely accounting practices, moving Social Security benefits 'off the book' and whatnot, but I'm looking for a succinct explanation of what impact Clinton had on economic policies, the budget, debt, inflation, etc.

Other talking points (ammo) help too. I'm aware of the Iraq Liberation Act, although I could be more familiarized with Kosovo & Somalia (reasons, justifications, cost).

Also how did the GOP controlled congress impact those budget numbers and the value of the dollar. I assume it was going down, as I remember a chart of gold prices since 1971, which seemed to be ever-rising.

Maybe an article breaking down the Clinton legacy from the perspective of a libertarian? I've tried LRC but I haven't quite found something that pulls it all together.

Anyone?

tomveil
01-24-2008, 01:40 AM
So I've been trying to get my facts straight about the Clinton Administration for those times I run into left-leaning people who RAVE about how great the economy was under Bill and his 'surplus.'

I have a vague idea about how this 'surplus' happened, namely accounting practices, moving Social Security benefits 'off the book' and whatnot, but I'm looking for a succinct explanation of what impact Clinton had on economic policies, the budget, debt, inflation, etc.

Other talking points (ammo) help too. I'm aware of the Iraq Liberation Act, although I could be more familiarized with Kosovo & Somalia (reasons, justifications, cost).

Also how did the GOP controlled congress impact those budget numbers and the value of the dollar. I assume it was going down, as I remember a chart of gold prices since 1971, which seemed to be ever-rising.

Maybe an article breaking down the Clinton legacy from the perspective of a libertarian? I've tried LRC but I haven't quite found something that pulls it all together.

Anyone?

In this case, try to keep it simple. Clinton was an beneficiary of the tech boom. That could have easily been 5 years sooner or later, and we'd probably talk about Clinton in a different light. Also, the GOP held congress and basically forced him into it (for the wrong reasons IMO). I'm a Democrat and I loved Clinton as a president, but he didn't really have a brilliant economic strategy.

immanent12
01-24-2008, 02:31 AM
But the dollar was still depreciating and the national debt was still on the rise, yes?

[quote]
the GOP held congress and basically forced him into it (for the wrong reasons IMO) ... he didn't really have a brilliant economic strategy.

Can you elaborate a bit more?

tomveil
01-24-2008, 03:03 AM
Can you elaborate a bit more[about the quote]?

Sorry that came out faster than it should have. When Clinton balanced the budget, it was the GOP who forced him to do it. I even remember government "shutting down" for a day or two while they locked horns. I think the GOP was playing politics trying to sway public opinion against him, but that's a whole different story :)

joe77
01-24-2008, 03:49 AM
Why are you trying to get dems...most can't Vote republican because of closed Primaries.

Just canvass and put up signs for paul. The rest is all crap and a waste of time at this point in the game!

free.alive
01-24-2008, 04:27 AM
We can't win the WA primary - not the caucus - but the primary unless Dems vote for RP. Why they may do it is that the Republicans allocate delegates to the national convention from both the caucuses and the primary, the dems only use the caucuses. It's widely known among Republicans that Dems vote in the Republican primary. As long as they don't vote in another party's caucus, any registered voter may vote in the Republican primary since we're all effectively independents here.

It would be great if the grassroots could help us find out a way to sell this idea to Democrats (and then help us fund it). To win both votes in Washington could be a turning point for this election, especially if we pick up delegates by winning:

Alaska [Caucuses (Semi-Open(3)) 2/05 2/05 2/05 (Sunday, 30 Days) 29]

Montana [Caucuses (Closed)12 Primaries (Open) 2/05 (Caucus) 6/03 (Primary)
N/A 5/05 (Primary only)12 25]

and North Dakota [Caucuses (Open) 2/05 N/A 2/05 13 26] on Super Tuesday,

and do well in:

Maine [Caucuses (Closed) 2/01 to 2/03 1/17 2/01 to 2/03 (Days of Caucuses) 21]

Hawaii [Caucuses (Closed) 1/25 - 2/07 1/15 '07 - 12/26 (Friday, 30 Days) 20]

and these states on Super Tuesday:

Alabama Primary (Open) 2/05 N/A 1/26 (Saturday, 10 Days) 48

Arizona Primary (Closed) 2/05 1/07 1/07 (Monday, 30 Days) 53

California Primary (Closed) 2/05 1/22 1/21 (Monday, 15 Days) 173

Colorado Caucuses (Closed) 2/05 '07 - 12/05 1/07 (Monday, 29 Days) 44

Georgia Primary (Open) 2/05 N/A 1/07 (Monday, 29 Days) 72

Illinois Semi-Open(3) 2/05 N/A 1/08 (Tuesday, 27 Days)(3) 70 21

Minnesota Caucuses (Open) 2/05 N/A 1/16 (Wednesday, 20 Days) (6) 41

Mississippi Primary (Open) 3/11 N/A 2/09 (Saturday, 30 Days: 12 Noon) 39

Oklahoma Primary (Closed) 2/05 1/11 1/11 (Friday, 24 Days) 41

Tennessee Primary (Open) 2/05 N/A 1/07 (Monday, 30 Days) 55

Utah Primary (Closed) 2/05 1/07 1/07 (Monday, 30 Days)
Online Registration 1/21 In-Person County Clerks Office 36

If we pick up a couple of these states, and d reasoonably well in the others on Super Tuesday a win in the 2/9 WA caucuses (coupled with news of NO candidate getting 51% in the 2/9 Louisiana primary) and THEN a Democrat fueled win in the 2/19 WA primary, we would set ourselves up nicely for Texas and PA and all the states that vote in March!