PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paulers kicked from the sidewalk @ San Antonio Rally - Video

guerillaeffect
08-01-2007, 01:34 AM
Here are both of the appropriate places for this video. We were sent this early yesterday and received the hi-res version tonight so we put it all up. Thanks to the Houston4RonPaul Meet-up group for getting it to us. We are following up as we write this. The first one is our blog. The second is just what we were sent on youtube.

http://guerillaeffect.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNF-_8DwDn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNF-_8DwDnE)E

Enjoy.

Dan Klaus
08-01-2007, 01:38 AM
unbelievable...stop walking the sidewalk because its state property?? ohh..and shut up so I can tell you the law! sheesh...

Thomas_Paine
08-01-2007, 01:39 AM
Here are both of the appropriate places for this video. We were sent this early yesterday and received the hi-res version tonight so we put it all up. Thanks to the Houston4RonPaul Meet-up group for getting it to us. We are following up as we write this. The first one is our blog. The second is just what we were sent on youtube.

http://guerillaeffect.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNF-_8DwDn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNF-_8DwDnE)E

Enjoy.

That cop was really full of it.

0zzy
08-01-2007, 01:43 AM
Hrm, I'm a bit torn on it. If it is in fact private property and the tax payers don't pay for it, it is understandable of the owner sets rules / complains. However, is it private property? Someone look into that. Telling police officers how it is a police state, etc etc won't help.

Dan Klaus
08-01-2007, 01:46 AM
Telling police officers how it is a police state, etc etc won't help.

True enough...kudos to the officer for keeping a cool head..

guerillaeffect
08-01-2007, 01:52 AM
We've actually sent out emails to the DRT to find out more about this situation regarding the sidewalk. And we are doing our own internal investigation into "who" owns the sidewalk. Usually a business will place a sign that explains to those walking on the sidewalk about it's rules, this is not the case. Hopefully we'll get a reply within the next few days. Also there is the process of liability and public right of way. We are currently looking into those also.

Ron Paul Fan
08-01-2007, 02:01 AM
What's the problem here? If it's private property and the owners don't want you campaigning there then you have to get off their sidewalk. You should know about the protection of private property being a staunch supporter of Ron Paul. Unless the officers are completely wrong about who owns the sidewalk then there's no issue and they handled it pretty well once you actually let them talk. From what the officer said, the sidewalk has a public right of way which means you can walk on it, but if you're doing something the owner doesn't want you to then they can kick you out. It'd be like if I started campaining for Rudy Giulani on your front lawn and made a whole bunch of noise. Would you call the police to kick me off your property too? They can also get you for blocking the sidewalk and preventing other pedestrians from walking past.

PennCustom4RP
08-01-2007, 02:12 AM
I didnt watch the Vid, on dialup, takes too long, so I dont know how 'unruley' :D the participants were.
But here are my views on sidewalks.
Sidewalks are intended to give pedestrians safety instead of walking in the street. Sidewalks are generally city property, just as the sidewalk in front of your house isnt yours, though you have to maintain it. Walking is not Loitering, so no trespass, therefor a store owner does not have basis for complaint by just having people walking by, and certainly cannot expect people to avoid walking in front of his store because he doesnt like them. A pedestrian, disabled person, anyone, has free access to a sidewalk.
Maybe the Cops beef was a 'Parade Permit' issue.
Further investigation and clarification is necessary to avoid more conflict.

JoshLowry
08-01-2007, 02:17 AM
I didn't know they put street signs and street lights on private property. :rolleyes:

amberj
08-01-2007, 02:48 AM
I think there's a bit of a difference between your lawn and a public expensed sidewalk. Our taxes are what pays for those, right? Shouldn't we be able to walk freely along them with whatever is on our body, such as clothing, or purses or signs. Private property is private property, I agree whole heartedly with that. But I think the issue was more with the fact that these officers, although doing their job, were kicking people off the sidewalk because of what they were wearing even though they weren't making noise. That's why he stepped in and confronted them about their actions.

B964
08-01-2007, 03:10 AM
Local laws vary. I believe the officer was stating that the sidewalk is privite property with a public right of way. That is how one local town here is. The home/business owner owns the sidewalk, pays to maintain it, has has to keep it clear of obstructions. In that case, other than you walking on it, the property owner has the say.
I think the officer was cool, calm and collected.

Ron Paul Fan
08-01-2007, 03:19 AM
I think there's a bit of a difference between your lawn and a public expensed sidewalk. Our taxes are what pays for those, right? Shouldn't we be able to walk freely along them with whatever is on our body, such as clothing, or purses or signs. Private property is private property, I agree whole heartedly with that. But I think the issue was more with the fact that these officers, although doing their job, were kicking people off the sidewalk because of what they were wearing even though they weren't making noise. That's why he stepped in and confronted them about their actions.

Ok, so the lawn may have been a bad example. I like B954's explanation better than yours, but I guess I don't know the local law. The police were saying the taxes didn't pay for the sidewalk so it's possible it's paid for by the property owner, in which case they can kick you off. I don't think they were kicking people off just for wearing a shirt because that's just ridiculous. And if you are standing there blocking the sidewalk so other pedestrians can't walk by I think they can tell you to disperse. We should probably wait until he gets the local law before making a big deal about this.

foofighter20x
08-01-2007, 03:29 AM
Best I can find... I'll keep looking though.

§ 217.003. DISORDERLY CONDUCT.
(a) The governing body of the municipality may prevent and may punish a person engaging in:

(1) trespass or breach of the peace;
(2) assault, battery, fighting, or quarreling;
(3) use of abusive, obscene, profane, or insulting language; or
(4) other disorderly conduct.

(b) The governing body may suppress or prevent any riot,
affray, noise, disturbance, or disorderly assembly in any public or
private place in the municipality.

(c) The governing body may restrain or prohibit the firing
of firecrackers or guns, the use of a bicycle or similar conveyance,
the use of a firework or similar material, or any other amusement or
practice tending to annoy persons passing on a street or sidewalk.

(d) The governing body may restrain or prohibit the ringing
of bells, blowing of horns, hawking of goods, or any other noise,
practice, or performance directed to persons on a street or
sidewalk by an auctioneer or other person for the purpose of
business, amusement, or otherwise.

Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 149, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1987.

amberj
08-01-2007, 03:43 AM
Just to let you know Ron Paul Fan, I was there and yes they were kicking people off the sidewalk for having a Ron Paul shirt. The gentleman behind the officer, in the green Ron Paul shirt was kicked off the sidewalk after everyone had chatted and come to an understanding.

I think the issue is that there is no statute or law and they are able to bend particular laws and statutes to work for them. This is exactly what a Police State does when it needs it to happen. Take a look at what's happening to New York city right now, particularly the new law for taking photo's and video, etc. Do I believe that a Police State was occurring there? No. But I think the point was to challenge what ridiculousness it was for the police to start pushing people off the sidewalk because of their shirt. This is the kind of thing that we cannot let happen. It's called gradualism.

I do agree with you on the front that if people are screaming or stopping people, then obviously that can easily become a problem. But that wasn't happening. I'm sure you've been to a Ron Paul rally, we are all generally easy going individuals who listen. But telling grandmotherly aged women to get off the sidewalk because they have a shirt with a Ron Paul slogan is just sickening.