PDA

View Full Version : A question about a brokered convention

ProBlue33
01-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Is it true you must win 5 states to qualify to be considered for this?

Because if this is true it won't matter how may delagates we have, if we don't win 5 states, Ron Paul has no chance come convention time.:(

ProBlue33
01-24-2008, 11:09 AM
can anybody answer this?

acptulsa
01-24-2008, 11:14 AM
I checked out the G.O.P. website yesterday. At the time of the convention, a candidate must have a majority of delegates from five states (not territories) supporting him or her to be the party's nominee.

Ethek
01-24-2008, 11:16 AM
I checked out the G.O.P. website yesterday. At the time of the convention, a candidate must have a majority of delegates from five states (not territories) supporting him or her to be the party's nominee.

Ah, so its delegates. Not popular vote victories. The majority in question is 50% I would guess?

That makes LA sting a bit.

ProBlue33
01-24-2008, 11:18 AM
So then before the GOP convention we need 5 states just to qualify?

That scares me, I guess we will know on super tuesday.

Anybody with any idea's on any states we could actually win?

Bradley in DC
01-24-2008, 11:18 AM

For that rule, DC and the territories are considered states.

I've explained this all more fully in other threads. Please search before starting new threads. Also, posting (and looking) in the right subforum helps. ;)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=239

btwilli1
01-24-2008, 11:20 AM
LA is not over yet fellas!

r3volution1776
01-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Im pretty sure you don't need any certain amount of wins to participate in a brokered convention, I could be wrong, but I know that most of your delegates from the states are bound, only about 651 can vote in any way they want initially, so the delegates for ron paul would have to be able to vote for ron paul atleast once, then the dealing goes on, and this is when there might be a few candidates close enough, so that they actually have to talk to Ron Paul about something, since hopefully we may have a considerable amount of delegates. I guess previous posts say you need 5 states to be the nominee.

Bradley in DC
01-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Im pretty sure you don't need any certain amount of wins to participate in a brokered convention, I could be wrong

The RNC has rules about qualifications to be nominated. Yes, we need to win the majority of delegates in five states (including DC and the territories) to be eligible.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=47093