PDA

View Full Version : I talked to a guy today in Austin, he supports HUCKABEE and here is why...

austinchick
01-23-2008, 11:08 PM
He said he likes Ron Paul but he doesn't believe that he is going to win...
What's up with that? I told him that he is winning Louisiana, he looked shocked. What do you recommend to tell people in this situation?

JahWarrior
01-23-2008, 11:10 PM
What's up with that? I told him that he is winning Louisiana, he looked shocked. What do you recommend to tell people in this situation?

"I hope you like the sound of President Clinton for the next 4 years". Ron Paul has attracted all walks of life, all political spectrums. I don't think you'll see a very diverse voting block for a Huckabee bid.

BreakYourChains
01-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Ron Paul is the only logical candidate that can beat Hillary or Obama! And, if everyone stops worrying about him not winning, and actually votes for him, he will win! Media has done a great con job on him, eh?

Michigan11
01-23-2008, 11:13 PM
If you can persuade that person or others to actually do a some research on how far out the party and these other candidates are on their issues, most conservatives wake up and say, HEEEEELLLLL NO, I'm voting for RP.

Alot of Americans see this as a campaign, when it is a fight for our nation, don't press the people, just persuade and listen and communicate with them. They'll come around

LandonCook
01-23-2008, 11:14 PM

Tell him the Dems consider Huck to be the glass jaw of politics... Because they do.

Iwantchange
01-23-2008, 11:14 PM

You know that's funny that you mention that, I have gotten that same excuse from over a dozen people. I have also heard that same line on several different talk shows??? And I think to myself "It's that damn mentality that will keep us from winning!"

OhioMichael
01-23-2008, 11:16 PM
You know that's funny that you mention that, I have gotten that same excuse from over a dozen people. I have also heard that same line on several different talk shows??? And I think to myself "It's that damn mentality that will keep us from winning!"

+1

Enzo
01-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Wow.. A Huckabee supporter in Austin? I'm ashamed

austinchick
01-23-2008, 11:18 PM
I guess all the MSM media pounding 'he has no chance, he is not going to win, long shot, fringe crap...' is brainwashing people.
The more you hear something like that, the more you believe it I guess....

Richandler
01-23-2008, 11:19 PM
You make sure you tell them you've heard that at least 4-5 times a day for the past 2 months.

cien750hp
01-23-2008, 11:37 PM
elections aren't about voting for who you think can win, its voting for who you want to win, who represents you and your values. you don't gain anything by voting for who you believe can win. especially with how wide open the republican race is. no one knows who is going to win.

dfalken
01-23-2008, 11:40 PM
elections aren't about voting for who you think can win, its voting for who you want to win, who represents you and your values. you don't gain anything by voting for who you believe can win. especially with how wide open the republican race is. no one knows who is going to win.

Well, yeah...we get that but try explaining that to the average moron out there. i recommend the movie "Idiocracy" if you want a glimpse into the future of our country.

RCRanger03
01-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Wow.. A Huckabee supporter in Austin? I'm ashamed

I hope he wasn't from the 78759 area code b/c there will have to be words ... angry angry yet at the same time loving words .......

Thomas Paine
01-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Tell him that Huckabee makes one hell of a preacher but he would be a lousy President.

midevilmark
01-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Always remind people that Bill Clinton did not win his first primary until 5 states into it in 1992. Also no one would ever win without someone taking the first step of voting for them. What is this, a popularity contest? Have some integrity!!!!!

robert4rp08
01-23-2008, 11:50 PM
"It's not a race; you're not voting on who you think will win. You should vote for who you want to win; vote for whom you believe in. What sense does it make to vote against what you want? You will never get what you want if you don't vote for it!"

Goldwater Conservative
01-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Huckabee won Iowa. Well, so did Pat Robertson in '88. Huck wasn't even been able to win South Carolina, is now out of money, and as an economic liberal he'd turn off fiscal conservatives in the general election and as a theocrat would turn off independents and secular Republicans. In short, he can't win.

Paul, meanwhile, has the resources to weather the war of attrition going on between the other media-anointed candidates. In a general election, cultural conservatives and "small government" conservatives alike would be excited to vote for him, but he'd also have great crossover appeal to independents (he's done better among them so far than McCain) and anti-war Democrats. Once "national security" voters had a chance to hear him explain his foreign policy and how it would actually strengthen America's military and make our country less vulnerable to terrorism, even they'd happily get on board. In short, Paul is very much electable.

Also, you're not voting for candidates, you're voting for delegates, and even candidates who don't "win" get delegates who can shape the party platform or even select a "dark horse" candidate like Paul if the convention is brokered, which looks likely.

garrettwombat
01-23-2008, 11:52 PM
same thing happened to me yesterday

pinkmandy
01-23-2008, 11:52 PM
I'd just say, "Really? Who told you that? He has beat every single candidate at least once..."

ConstitutionGal
01-23-2008, 11:53 PM
I've heard this 'he can't win' mantra a few times here, too. Honestly, with the others dropping out like flies, this is, I fear, our biggest hurdle to overcome.

qh4dotcom
01-24-2008, 01:53 AM

You tell him that his single vote will not decide the election so he should do the right thing which is to vote for the candidate he feels would do the best job in the White House, Ron Paul.

Tell him that if he votes for Huckabee, by some miracle Huckabee wins and Huckabee winds up being such a bad president like Bush...he will feel guilty about voting for Huckabee like a bunch of people are feeling right now who voted for Bush in 2004.

jarofclay
01-24-2008, 01:59 AM
I tell people that its time to vote FOR a person.

Grandson of Liberty
01-24-2008, 02:19 AM
Funny, my ballot always asks who I want to vote for, not predict who might win. :rolleyes:

Highstreet
01-24-2008, 02:28 AM

2nd in Nevada ahead of Huck, McCain, Thompson, and Giuliani.

1st in Louisiana. Pitiful desperate attempt by all the other candidates to get delegates in a screwed up state election.