PDA

View Full Version : Voter forced to turn RP shirt inside out

Matt Collins
01-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Mr. Jeff Wise of Nashville was forced to turn his Ron Paul shirt inside out when he went in to the poll early voting today in Nashville. He e-mailed the RP HQ here in Nashville and we promptly called our local election commission. They did indeed confirm over the phone that ANY campaign promotional materials including t-shirts etc ARE NOT ALLOWED inside the polling places.

Free speech zones anyone? :rolleyes:

mosquitobite
01-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Um, many of us here have been pointing this out to people for months.

I believe the laws are there (mostly in primary states) to keep people from being harrassed.

Like it or not, but the free speech zone begins about 50 - 100 yds from the polling place ;)

This isn't new, and it's not something we want to test just to piss people off imo.

Highstreet
01-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Good to know

paulpwns
01-23-2008, 08:15 PM
make a shirt with just

" the revolution" symbol on it

without ron paul, they can't make you take that off

Suzu
01-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Are you saying that today is February 5th in Tennessee only, and it's January 23 everywhere else?

Shink
01-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Just wear a giant Constitution everywhere in public.

nodope0695
01-23-2008, 08:22 PM
That is standard anywhere you go. No campaigning stuff inside the polls. I think its a good rule.

Outside the polls, sure. Inside, no.

Blythexo
01-23-2008, 08:27 PM
In South Carolina last Tuesday, in Myrtlewood #3 precinct in Horry County I was forced to take off my Ron Paul button when I was the only person in the room at 7:45 in the morning. I thought the lady was joking at first when she said you need to take that off.....so I started hahahaha .....anyway....and she said.....NO REALLY...put it in your purse.
Sheesh.........

GO RON PAUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Matt Collins
01-23-2008, 08:49 PM
That is standard anywhere you go. No campaigning stuff inside the polls. I think its a good rule.

Outside the polls, sure. Inside, no.

I disagree. I think that you should be able to wear a shirt, pins, buttons, hats, sweaters, etc without any problem. As long as you do not disrupt the process (chanting "Ron Paul" at the top of your lungs for instance), I don't see how they can stop you according to our right to free speech.

Has this been challenged in court?!?!

Mandrik
01-23-2008, 09:01 PM
I wore my Ron Paul shirt back when I voted in November. Granted that election had nothing to do with the presidential election, but no one said a word. I still plan to wear my RP shirt when PA has their primaries. I really could care less about this rule/law/whatever.

Even better--get a double sided RP shirt. That way when you turn it inside out, it still says RP on it. :)

bobo37
01-23-2008, 09:03 PM
In South Carolina last Tuesday, in Myrtlewood #3 precinct in Horry County I was forced to take off my Ron Paul button when I was the only person in the room at 7:45 in the morning. I thought the lady was joking at first when she said you need to take that off.....so I started hahahaha .....anyway....and she said.....NO REALLY...put it in your purse.
Sheesh.........

GO RON PAUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

I also voted in Horry County but I took my button off before I went in because of this rule but what I did find strange were the signs that were within the rule of how many feet there supposed to be from the polling place. Romney had signs everywhere even as close as about 25 feet from the door. I did see on the news that night they were showing people voting and one guy was voting that had a Ron Paul bumper sticker on the back of his jacket:D

evadmurd
01-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Are you saying that today is February 5th in Tennessee only, and it's January 23 everywhere else?

Early voting started 10 days ago in Tennessee. I think it ends the Friday or Saturday before the 5th. Makes it nice for us supporters so we'll be free to rally at the official polling stations---in the free speech zones of course!

Matt Collins
01-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Makes it nice for us supporters so we'll be free to rally at the official polling stations---in the free speech zones of course!I have concerns about how the early votes will be counted. I am going to vote on Feb 5th.