PDA

View Full Version : LA Daily News

Fields
01-23-2008, 05:38 PM
This appeared in yesterdays paper.

America Firsters fail past lessons
By Bridget Johnson, Columnist
Article Last Updated: 01/21/2008 09:35:45 PM PST

When this primary season is over, the impressions of the battles we fought and the debates that took center stage - such as gender, race and religious issues related to the candidates - will linger like handprints on glass.

At that point, we'll be left with the option of wiping the controversy away, or we can reflect on how these points of contention will shape our country in the future.
One issue I've thought about is the grass-roots embrace of Ron Paul's foreign-policy views that have been no secret but found new footing in this presidential go-round.
"I follow a policy in foreign affairs called noninterventionism," Paul said in 2006 in his opposition to a resolution condemning Hezbollah attacks upon Israel and supporting Israel's right to defend itself. "The Constitution really doesn't authorize us to be the policemen of the world, much less to favor one side over another in foreign conflicts."
A short trip around the blogosphere reveals that Paul's platform has deeply resonated with those favoring a quick pullout from Iraq, guaranteed resultant genocide be damned. But his proposal to cut off all foreign aid to Israel - a steadfast ally in a decidedly precarious geographic spot - has also drawn loyalist backers.

Last week at the American Jewish Committee here in Los Angeles, I sat down with Eran Lerman, the executive director of the AJC's Israel/Middle East office in Jerusalem. We spoke mostly about regional politics, but I was eager to get the Israeli perspective of the increasingly popular anti-Israel rhetoric. Does it, I wondered aloud, mean that a new, latent form of anti-Semitism is also taking root?

"I would keep anti-Semitism out of this particular debate," Lerman said, backdropped by a city view off Pico Boulevard. "I wouldn't necessarily paint Ron Paul as an anti-Semite. However - and it's a different language that people have forgotten to use in this context - he's an America Firster.

"That sounds very nice until you remember the associations," he continued, rewinding to the 1930s and 1940s to illustrate the impact of the America Firsters. "People speaking the name of peace and in the name of reducing the American commitment: What they actually meant is let the Nazis burn the world and we will just sit here and warm ourselves next to the flames.

"America Firsters have been out there and the world has paid a terrible price. So that's the argument. I would leave Israel out of it, I would leave the Jews out of it, although we have been as a people the worst victims of these attitudes in the '20s and '30s. No people paid a higher price in more ways than one than the Jewish people because of American attitudes during that period ...

"What happened to Jews here and to Jews in Europe at the hands of the likes of Breckinridge Long - which most people have forgotten, but in my mind he ranks with the worst offenders," Lerman said, referring to the FDR administration official who obstructed the admittance of refugees into America during World War II.
"Now to return to America Firsters in 2008 - after 9-11, after the lessons that have been learned after World War II, that to me is an unsustainable position. But the argument is not necessarily about Israel or about any narrow interests. It's global, it's a global question."

Lerman recounted his visit to the World War I battlefield of Ardennes, then later being touched by a statement Newt Gingrich made about also visiting the massive ossuary of unidentified French and German soldiers there.

"What (Gingrich) says is, `Look what we've done,"' Lerman said. "We withdrew from world affairs in the '20s. And we let this happen again. So for this still to be in contention for the minds of Americans means simply that we are forgetting very fast the lessons of the '20s and '30s ...

"I can understand why people have a passing sympathy for such a position - until they read their history again."

So after the last ballot is marked and cast, we should pay heed to the positions that gained such a vocal following in 2008.
The danger of such attitudes lies in the Rwandas of the past, the Darfurs of the present, and the Kenyas or Iraqs of the future.

Bridget Johnson is a columnist at the Daily News. E-mail her at bridget.johnson@dailynews.com.

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-23-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm tired of the Jewish people bitching, it's not their country, America is.

Danny Molina
01-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Typical Zionist rhetoric.

Danny Molina
01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
ttt

Danny Molina
01-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Dr. Paul's non-interventionist foreign policies are not just his way of not supporting Israel but not supporting any foreign government. Israel could turn Lebanon, Cyprus, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Jordan ect. into parking lots it's still not in America's best interest to get involved. Dr. Paul's personal stance is that preemptive wars should never be declared under any circumstances unless there is an imminent threat.

Also...

The cause of events leading to WWII are not just America's fault but it was the fault of every country that signed The Treaty of Versailles. By forcing Germany to pay reparations that their country could not afford this caused Germany to enter a depression. Only in such an environment of desperation could a monster like Hitler come to power. This is what Dr. Paul calls "blowback."

Treaty of Versailles > Depression > Fascism

ronpaulitician
01-23-2008, 06:36 PM
If we are dubbed "American Firsters" (not a bad thing), then who, I wonder, are the "American Lasters"?

CareerTech1
01-23-2008, 06:41 PM
If we are dubbed "American Firsters" (not a bad thing), then who, I wonder, are the "American Lasters"?

Exactly. They are twisting this - nobody in any other country is thinking "let's put America first before our own country"

Redmenace
01-23-2008, 06:50 PM
This idiot doesn't understand that WWII was a direct result of WWI. If the US had followed its traditions of non-intervention then the allies wouldn't have been able to defeat the Germans and there would have been no war reparations. Since the German economy was destroyed from the war, the German Govt' began printing money to pay these costs, leading to massive inflation. That lead to the Great Depression, the collapse of the German government and allow Hitler and Nazism to come to power.

Kotin
01-23-2008, 06:58 PM
i am very jewish, and i cant stand when all we do is bitch and make sure everyone does everything for israel.

sorry but this is not the United States of Abraham.

Highstreet
01-23-2008, 06:58 PM
She leaves out the fact that he wants to STOP subsidizing Israel's enemies as well.

We subsidize them at a 3 to 1 ratio to Israel.

His policy is a NET plus for Israel. It is PRO-Israel. This columnist is confused. Please email her and correct her on this issue.

dirka
01-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Man they are idiots...no one seems to understand that Ron Paul isn't against intervention by the United States, he is against the President doing it alone!!!

He has said on numerous occasions that if the American Public wants to help another country and the Congress declares it, he is fine with it!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Paul just doesn't think the President should choose who to help and who not to help, these god damn people spewing this Zionist BS make me sick.

Mystile
01-23-2008, 07:07 PM
more WWII ignorance....If they were so concerned about Hitler, why didn't anyone else preemptively attack? It's not America's fault that we didn't like getting into other people's wars.

Fields
01-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Yeah, this kind of stuff is just plain wrong.

Danny Molina
01-23-2008, 10:11 PM
i am very jewish, and i cant stand when all we do is bitch and make sure everyone does everything for israel.

sorry but this is not the United States of Abraham.

You're just a self-hating jew then!:D

doronster195
01-23-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm also Jewish, and I always tell people who bash Paul with the "he won't support israel" argument about his taking away subsidies from the arab nations as well which get more money than Israel. They usually shut up at that point.