PDA

View Full Version : Wait for the Provisional Ballots!

hueylong
01-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Let's try to keep calm until the counting is done. They're still doing the provisional ballots.

Then, we'll know how many of our delegates out of 105 we have elected, we'll be able to say what % of the delegates that is -- and we'll be able to declare victory (or near victory).

Until then -- we're freaking ourselves out over unknowns.

JWZguy
01-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Thank you!

hueylong
01-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Bump

Sandra
01-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Bump

Vox Populi
01-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Can somebody please give some sort of time-frame of when the provisional results will possibly be made known? Will it be tonight, tomorrow morning, 3 days from now, a month, a year, or what? Thanks.

hueylong
01-23-2008, 08:39 PM
We don't know exactly. My GUESS is 24 to 48 hours. They have to talk with the registrars of voters in 64 parishes and verify more than 600 ballots.

zadrock
01-23-2008, 08:46 PM
you know, if we had the REAL ID, this stuff wouldn't take so long... :eek:

Z

werdd
01-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Hold!

louisiana4liberty
01-23-2008, 08:50 PM
It doesn't take this long to verify 650 provisional ballots. I'm afraid this might be an exercise in spinning the unofficial results.

Why even post unofficial results? It only creates speculation.

driller80545
01-23-2008, 08:51 PM
you know, if we had the REAL ID, this stuff wouldn't take so long... :eek:

Z

Ouch

Avalon
01-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Is it reasonable to think that the voter lists at the caucus sites were outdated by design? I mean they had 7 weeks to get updated lists, correct?

Vox Populi
01-23-2008, 08:54 PM
We don't know exactly. My GUESS is 24 to 48 hours. They have to talk with the registrars of voters in 64 parishes and verify more than 600 ballots.

That's 64 phone calls and the counting of 650 ballots. Doesn't sound like that much to me. You seem to be just fine with this drawn out procedure. Meanwhile, press releases are going out that "Pro-Life, Pro-family" and McCain won Lousiana.

I guess maybe I should "grow up" and not believe "conspiracy theories" and that Lousiana has no history of corruption, so there's nothing to worry about because it was the young voters fault who didn't get out and vote, but just stood on the sidelines sloppily dressed, and the "pro-life, Pro-family" slate was just good politicking. Did I understand you correctly today?

louisiana4liberty
01-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Is it reasonable to think that the voter lists at the caucus sites were outdated by design? I mean they had 7 weeks to get updated lists, correct?

If you saw these rolls you would laugh. It would take a basic HP 600 dollar printer maybe an hour to print a listing for each district.:D

It was definitely outdated. :D

Avalon
01-23-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm aware it's outdated...I'm just afraid it was outdated on purpose (because we had an apparent voter registration drive before the deadline) in order to possibly:
A) concentrate heavily on spoiling, hiding, misplacing or destroying provisional ballots
B) have this stupid preliminary announcement crowning McCain (and delaying the real one as long as they can manage)
C) disenfranchise voters who are familiar with corrupt LA politics and know they're submitting an easily identified and categorized provisional ballot to officials who don't like their candidate.

billyjoeallen
01-23-2008, 09:11 PM
That's 64 phone calls and the counting of 650 ballots. Doesn't sound like that much to me. You seem to be just fine with this drawn out procedure. Meanwhile, press releases are going out that "Pro-Life, Pro-family" and McCain won Lousiana.

I guess maybe I should "grow up" and not believe "conspiracy theories" and that Lousiana has no history of corruption, so there's nothing to worry about because it was the young voters fault who didn't get out and vote, but just stood on the sidelines sloppily dressed, and the "pro-life, Pro-family" slate was just good politicking. Did I understand you correctly today?

That's a damn good point.

hueylong
01-23-2008, 09:11 PM
It's not outdated. There is no hanky panky. The counting of the provisional ballots is completely transparent (see Jenn's post).

These ill-informed negative posts suck.

And you are insulting 3 million people that Dr. Paul needs in November. Including a couple of thousand who busted their asses to make this solid finish possible.

What part of "our people are involved in the counting of the provisional ballots" don't you understand?

stevedasbach
01-23-2008, 09:14 PM
It doesn't take this long to verify 650 provisional ballots. I'm afraid this might be an exercise in spinning the unofficial results.

Why even post unofficial results? It only creates speculation.

It does when you have to verify them at the parish level.

You want fast -- go with Diebold. You want accurate and verifiable paper ballots -- expect to wait for results.

billyjoeallen
01-23-2008, 09:16 PM
It's not outdated. There is no hanky panky. The counting of the provisional ballots is completely transparent (see Jenn's post).

These ill-informed negative posts suck.

And you are insulting 3 million people that Dr. Paul needs in November. Including a couple of thousand who busted their asses to make this solid finish possible.

What part of "our people are involved in the counting of the provisional ballots" don't you understand?

But Teddy...I mean VoX has a deadline!

Avalon
01-23-2008, 09:21 PM
What part of "our people are involved in the counting of the provisional ballots" don't you understand? So you're saying that our people were standing beside the ballot boxes at every caucus and made sure the provisional ballot box was empty to start and that every voter only turned in one ballot (normal or provisional). Then after the caucus they carefully watched not only the counting of the normal ballots but that the provisionals remained secure, then they accompanied officials who transported the ballots. Then they sat and guarded them (whereever they sat) all last night and today and will continue to guard/watch them until they are actually done counting them?

torchbearer
01-23-2008, 09:24 PM
So you're saying that our people were standing beside the ballot boxes at every caucus and made sure the provisional ballot box was empty to start and that every voter only turned in one ballot (normal or provisional). Then after the caucus they carefully watched not only the counting of the normal ballots but that the provisionals remained secure, then they accompanied officials who transported the ballots. Then they sat and guarded them (whereever they sat) all last night and today and will continue to guard/watch them until they are actually done counting them?

We already have copies of the provisional ballots. It doesn't matter if someone else messes with the ballots, we have proof of what they have in storage as of today.

louisiana4liberty
01-23-2008, 09:28 PM
So you're saying that our people were standing beside the ballot boxes at every caucus and made sure the provisional ballot box was empty to start and that every voter only turned in one ballot (normal or provisional). Then after the caucus they carefully watched not only the counting of the normal ballots but that the provisionals remained secure, then they accompanied officials who transported the ballots. Then they sat and guarded them (whereever they sat) all last night and today and will continue to guard/watch them until they are actually done counting them?

Yep, it didn't happen. I observed my girlfriend's ballot being placed in a pile with other provisional votes. There was no independent observer of the process of collecting the provisional ballots at District 1.

I got pissed because any one of them the handlers could have tucked ballots in a folder and did whatever they wanted with them.

virginiakid
01-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Come on guys, leave them alone and let them do what it takes. IF they say there is no hanky panky going on then believe them. Not everything is a conspiracy. Although sometimes you think it is. I don't live in LA, so I don't know anything, so I know that those who are taking care of the caucus results are going to do a fantastic job.

louisiana4liberty
01-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Come on guys, leave them alone and let them do what it takes. IF they say there is no hanky panky going on then believe them. Not everything is a conspiracy. Although sometimes you think it is. I don't live in LA, so I don't know anything, so I know that those who are taking care of the caucus results are going to do a fantastic job.

Newb...you are new to the forum and apparently new to La. politics. This place is the wild wild west of political corruption.

Avalon
01-23-2008, 09:34 PM
We already have copies of the provisional ballots. It doesn't matter if someone else messes with the ballots, we have proof of what they have in storage as of today. So we had an absolutely verifiable chain of custody up to the point where copies were made? Were the copies made in the same room as the caucus'? And we watched the copies being made? And if they really were unable/unwilling to screw with them before what's to stop them from replacing say half of them afterwards and then when we break out the copies they claim we fabricated/faked the others? Is there some endorsement/embossing on the copies?

yankee_blue
01-23-2008, 09:36 PM

What a friggin drama queen.

yankee_blue
01-23-2008, 09:38 PM
We already have copies of the provisional ballots. It doesn't matter if someone else messes with the ballots, we have proof of what they have in storage as of today.

Would you please stop being rational, and tell them what you saw with the UFOs that picked up the ballot boxes?

szczebrzeszyn
01-23-2008, 09:38 PM
What a friggin drama queen.

oh, we got plenty of them! :D

virginiakid
01-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Yes, I only know of the corruption in LA through the news and what I read. Pretty insane actually. It reminds me of what happened here in VA when a Republican candidate--who was elected as the nominee was back stabbed by the local GOP. How was he back stabbed? Get this, the local GOP endorses a a Democrat for the same office. Another instance happened while collecting signatures for a candidate in the Republican party. The local republican party didn't like the candidate who was running and but supported the establishment candidate instead. Somehow the signatures just disappeared. Lesson learned, make copies of everything. Take pictures. If they can cheat, they will.

louisiana4liberty
Unfortunately, I think Louisiana will see the unofficial drama results tomorrow.

FluffyUnbound

You know why this is pointless?

Because no one could possibly have that level of control over the NORMAL ballot process, either.

"What if every ballot box for regular ballots had a million ballots in it already?" Well, then we'd lose and there would be nothing you could do. "What if they built a transporter device and then beamed the real ballots out and beamed fake ballots in?" Then we would lose.

If an organized group was willing to cheat and had the degree of control over the process needed to escape ordinary scrutiny, they would succeed and you wouldn't be able to stop them. Your only hope would be someone involved in the conspiracy spilling the beans for some purpose of their own.

Willis4RP
01-23-2008, 09:42 PM

i don't think it was by design.
i registered Republican less than a week before the 30Nov deadline...i was on the list. but, i also registered at the Registrar of Voters in Baton Rouge, they've got everything on a computer. think of all the other Registrar offices across the state that aren't as "sophisticated". i think the Registrar in Shreveport still uses filing cabinets for their records more than computers...but its been a couple years since i've been there.

if they were trying to "steal the vote" they had ample opportunity elsewhere...and besides, they're being transparent with our guys. just be happy there wasn't electronic voting; this way we can count the vote...it just takes more than two clicks.

Avalon
01-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Because no one could possibly have that level of control over the NORMAL ballot process, either. Not true, the whole ballot process could be well thought out to be executed in a transparent fashion like it is in many places throughout the world (but I agree it doesn't appear to be so in LA for normal ballots even). But not counting the ballots onsite (as is done with these provisional ballots) introduces tons of other chain of custody issues (many with no real risk of even getting caught, like there would be at a public caucus). And over 48 hours no less, which could also give them time to figure out how many votes to change and for which delegates (to make the results as plausible as possible).

Avalon
01-23-2008, 10:17 PM
i registered Republican less than a week before the 30Nov deadline...i was on the list. Well that makes me feel better. How many normal ballots were cast? Have some spoiled ballots (voting for >15 etc) already been culled from the provisional ballots?

jenninlouisiana
01-23-2008, 10:21 PM
So we had an absolutely verifiable chain of custody up to the point where copies were made? Were the copies made in the same room as the caucus'? And we watched the copies being made? And if they really were unable/unwilling to screw with them before what's to stop them from replacing say half of them afterwards and then when we break out the copies they claim we fabricated/faked the others? Is there some endorsement/embossing on the copies?

The chain of custody is secure. In at least 2 districts, the RP people helped count the ballots (along with other people)...

jsu718
01-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Yes, I only know of the corruption in LA through the news and what I read. Pretty insane actually. It reminds me of what happened here in VA when a Republican candidate--who was elected as the nominee was back stabbed by the local GOP. How was he back stabbed? Get this, the local GOP endorses a a Democrat for the same office. Another instance happened while collecting signatures for a candidate in the Republican party. The local republican party didn't like the candidate who was running and but supported the establishment candidate instead. Somehow the signatures just disappeared. Lesson learned, make copies of everything. Take pictures. If they can cheat, they will.

Bush and Gingrich and the GOP establishment did pretty much the same thing to Ron Paul back in 1996. Ron Paul won out in that case. I think it will finish much the same this time in LA.

parocks
01-23-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm aware it's outdated...I'm just afraid it was outdated on purpose (because we had an apparent voter registration drive before the deadline) in order to possibly:
A) concentrate heavily on spoiling, hiding, misplacing or destroying provisional ballots
B) have this stupid preliminary announcement crowning McCain (and delaying the real one as long as they can manage)
C) disenfranchise voters who are familiar with corrupt LA politics and know they're submitting an easily identified and categorized provisional ballot to officials who don't like their candidate.

I'm surprised the media gave us this opportunity. They called McCain the winner, not PLPF the winner. If we overtake McCain (which is a realistic possibility) we can legitimately claim that we (and not PLPF) are the winner.

billyjoeallen
01-24-2008, 01:09 PM
when are we gonna know?

If we don't have an answer, WHEN will we have an answer?

Shii
01-24-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm surprised the media gave us this opportunity. They called McCain the winner, not PLPF the winner. If we overtake McCain (which is a realistic possibility) we can legitimately claim that we (and not PLPF) are the winner.

Media was simply quoting LAGOP, so really it's LAGOP (who sponsored PLPF) who are giving us this chance.