View Full Version : Paul wins 2nd to McCain

davrobi
01-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Ron Paul comes second in delegate count to McCain, beats Romney:

Villere Announces Caucus Results

Uncommitted Slate, McCain Lead in Preliminary Count

For Immediate Release: Contact: Jason Dore

January 23, 2008 225-928-2998 or jdore@lagop.com

Republican Party of Louisiana Chairman Roger F. Villere, Jr. today announced the preliminary results of delegate elections held at GOP caucuses across the state on Tuesday evening.

More than 10,000 Republican voters met at 11 locations around Louisiana to choose delegates to the 2008 Louisiana Republican Convention, which will elect nearly all of Louisiana’s delegates to the Republican National Convention in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

“Preliminary results show that a majority of the 105 state convention delegates who have been elected ran on a statewide pro-life uncommitted slate,” Villere said. “I congratulate the candidates and supporters of this group on their victory and look forward to working with them to keep our Party platform pro-life at the state and national conventions,” he said.

Delegate candidates endorsed by US Senator John McCain (R-AZ) appear to have won more state convention delegate positions than any other presidential slate at the Louisiana Caucuses.

“I offer my congratulations Senator John McCain on his success in the Louisiana caucuses,” Villere said. “Senator McCain is an American hero and this is further evidence that he enjoys strong support in Louisiana and throughout the South,” he said.

Supporters of Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) appear to have captured the next highest number of delegate positions.

“I applaud the supporters of Congressman Paul for their enthusiasm and superior organizational ability,” Villere said. “Our Party needs the infusion of new activists who have both political skill and a passion for protecting the freedoms guaranteed to us by the Constitution,” he said. “I left the caucus with a renewed commitment to promote our core Republican principles of limited government and individual freedom, thanks to the zeal displayed by Congressman Paul’s Louisiana supporters,” Villere said.

In addition to the uncommitted delegates and McCain and Paul supporters, Governor Mitt Romney appears to have won a handful of state convention delegates.

“Governor Romney and his team have worked hard for over a year in Louisiana to build a strong organization,” Villere said. “The Governor has been to Louisiana more than any other GOP candidate, including one trip specifically to appear at a state party fundraising dinner,” he said. “Governor Romney has shown a commitment to Louisiana that is second to none and the strong support he has here is an indication that Louisiana Republicans are excited about his candidacy,” Villere said.

Results from Louisiana’s Republican caucuses and the informal designation of a “winning slate” are preliminary for two reasons. First, about 500 individuals who attended the event were not shown to be registered Republicans on voter rolls. These individuals were allowed to cast “provisional ballots,” which are not included in the current candidate tallies on the Party’s website, www.lagop.com. State Party staffers are currently working with Registrars of Voters across the state to confirm with certainty the eligibility of each candidate. Party rules allow anyone registered as Republican as of November 30, 2007 to have voted last evening. The ballots of those who are found eligible will be added to totals and the outcomes of some races in Districts 1,2,4,5 and 6 could possibly be affected.

Second, candidates for delegate in Louisiana historically have run on one or another slate, but not on multiple slates. This year, however, many candidates ran on more than one slate. There was significant overlap, for example, between the McCain and Pro-Life slates. So determination of which slate won is not as clear-cut. But it certainly appears that the order was: Uncommitted Pro-Life, McCain, Paul, Romney, others.

Identification of candidates with the various slates is not an official Party function and such analysis is provided solely as a courtesy to members of the press and as a response to the numerous inquiries received by the Party regarding this topic.

Results of provisional ballot analysis will be updated regularly on the Party’s website until a final count is reached.

Chairman Villere wishes to thank everyone who participated in the 2008 Louisiana Caucuses.

#

Jason Doré, J.D.
Communications/Political Director
Republican Party of Louisiana
11440 N. Lake Sherwood, Suite A
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70816
Office: 225.928.2998
Fax: 225.408.2798

billyjoeallen
01-23-2008, 05:01 PM
I won't believe it until the provisional ballots are tallied.

Sandra
01-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Provisional ballots are not yet added. That's about 500.

jblosser
01-23-2008, 05:09 PM
They obviously expect the provisionals to change things, hence the press release coming first. They're taking the news cycle from us.

Naraku
01-23-2008, 05:14 PM
This is corrupt. The governor sends out an e-mail saying, "Take John McCain's slate" and now the LA GOP says before anything happens, "John McCain wins and he's an American hero who should win the South".

I can't stand this stuff.

torchbearer
01-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Provisional ballots are not yet added. That's about 500.

lvp1138
01-23-2008, 05:17 PM
This sounds fishy...

Sandra
01-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Yeah! 150 more!

Sarge
01-23-2008, 05:18 PM
I am so mad, I just want to scream count the votes and quit the press releases.

Obvious manipulation prior to the final results. They don't want the numbers out prior to the debate tomorrow night.

rpfreedom08
01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
LAGOP Releases Unofficial Results of Louisiana's Republican Caucus:
On Tuesday night, approximately ten thousand Louisiana Republicans caucused in 11 different cities across the state. Those attending the caucuses cast their vote for 15 delegates and 15 alternates to represent their congressional district at the 2008 Louisiana Republican Convention. Results were tallied on site late into the night and then reported to Republican Party Headquarters in Baton Rouge. Of the thousands of ballots cast, approximately 650 were cast provisionally.
Before these provisional ballots are counted, LAGOP staff must verify that the voter was a registered Republican voter in his or her congressional district as of November 30, 2007. The counting of provisional ballots in the 3rd and 7th Congressional districts is not needed to verify the results as the margin of victory for all winning candidates is larger than the number of provisional ballots casts. For the other five Congressional districts, Republican Party staff members will begin the process of verifying the results through each parish's registrar of voter's office. Once that process is complete, the Secretary of the Republican of Louisiana will certify the official results.
Prior to the tabulation of the provisional ballots, the uncommitted "Pro-Life/Pro-Family" slate appears to have won a majority of delegates in all seven congressional districts.
All candidates who ran for alternate delegate in the the 2nd, 3rd and 4th congressional districts won after qualifying as there were 15 or fewer candidates for those positions. The files below contain the unofficial results broken down by district and position. The P column shows the number of provisional ballots cast.

JUST GOT THIS IN AN EMAIL.... DAMN THAT'S MY DISTRICT TOO :(

ArrestPoliticians
01-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Show us the numbers.

Eponym_mi
01-23-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm not convinced that the 2nd place result will be true after provisionals are all counted, but there is one positive about this...RP beat Romney. RP has now beaten each of the other candidates at least once.

TonySutton
01-23-2008, 06:50 PM
I would like to see some people on local TV saying "I voted for Pro Life, no one ever said anything about John McCain!"

nodope0695
01-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Nothing is final yet, folks. Still have Feburary 9th to look forward to.

Oyate
01-23-2008, 07:34 PM
AP just reported we took "second place". What the heck? We're getting back into the MSM little by little.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i2YCtBg15ovSmHo1y23Qc4oc_cdQ

Oh and LA RPR, great job people, take a deep bow!

Menthol Patch
01-23-2008, 07:34 PM
How could McCain have won when we are being told that him and the other Republicans (except Mitt Romney) were all under the same coalition?

louisiana4liberty
01-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Why is this newb posting unofficial results?...again. Who are you trying to spin with the 'Paul wins second' headliner?

Oyate
01-23-2008, 07:38 PM
How could McCain have won when we are being told that him and the other Republicans (except Mitt Romney) were all under the same coalition?

Oddly enough, delegates could be both PLPF and for a single candidate at the same time.

szczebrzeszyn
01-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Why is this newb posting unofficial results?...again. Who are you trying to spin with the 'Paul wins second' headliner?

there are billion similar threads already in numerous sections - disinfo campaign?