PDA

View Full Version : I Converted a Romney Supporter

hayeksrevenge
01-23-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm so excited. A high school friend of mine told me today she is going to vote for Ron Paul in the Georgia primary! She was a Mitt Romney supporter. She has been a conservative since her early 20's. So, that is what I had to work with. Here is how it progressed.

I had not seen her in about 5 years. We ran across each other in a mall. We spoke briefly and decided to have coffee. During coffee, we began talking politics just like we used to. She said she was voting for Romney. I told her I was going to vote for Ron Paul.

She told me she didn't know much about RP, so I told her a bit. Mostly, I didn't want to over do it, so I basically stated a few of his positions including change in foreign policy (troops home), no IRS, securing the rights of Americans, smaller government, etc. I then got her email and told her I would send her a few links.

I waited a day, and then sent her an email to his position on the issues at www.ronpaul2008.com/issues . That's all I sent her to start. She emailed me back a few days later and told me that, indeed, Ron Paul is the most conservative man in the race, but she didn't think he can win. So, she was voting for Romney.

I didn't act superior in my response, instead, I told her I understand her position, but to please keep Ron Paul in mind because I truly believe he is the candidate for change.

Anyway, over the next couple of weeks, I had a chance to email her a few times. Ever once in a while, I would mention the campaign, and I would send her a link to specific YouTube videos from the debates which featured Ron Paul.

I didn't hear much about him from her, until a couple of weeks ago. She then asked me why Ron Paul wasn't getting more attention in the media? I told her my opinion (power is afraid of Ron Paul) and I told her it did not matter, because his support is growing from the ground up, not the top down.

Anyway, I sent her an email this morning and in it, I mentioned something minor about RP. She emailed me back saying that, yes, he is the most Conservative candidate and she is going to vote for him on super tuesday!

Hurrah!

Now, time to do it again with somebody else. :)

cero
01-23-2008, 04:00 PM
way to go man

liberteebell
01-23-2008, 04:00 PM
This is a great example of how to convert people.

constitutional
01-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Good job!

"I waited a day, and then sent her an email to his position on the issues at www.ronpaul2008.com/issues." Haha, totally understandable.

newmedia4ron
01-23-2008, 04:04 PM
nag your friends while you still can!

Paul Revered
01-23-2008, 04:08 PM
I posted this on MySpace.

MrCobaltBlue
01-23-2008, 04:09 PM
She was probably annoyed with you always talking about Ron Paul so she said that to shut you up. :p

Just kidding, that's great to hear!

Grandson of Liberty
01-23-2008, 04:11 PM
this is how we win.

amy31416
01-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Beautiful!

Cleaner44
01-23-2008, 04:13 PM
I love using the issues page at www.ronpaul2008.com and now most have great videos by Dr. Paul.

PRIEST
01-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Well done.

Now she may convert her friends!

SVS2K
01-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Nice job!! Planting the seeds (not forcing it down someone's throat), letting them get at more information in a passive way (email links), and letting them come to their own conclusions about things is very powerful.

People are creatures of habit and like to hold onto decisions they previously made long past the point where that decision no longer makes sense. Therefore it's important not to attack someone for supporting another candidate (that puts them on the defensive, rational or irrational), and to slip them what they need to know about Ron Paul in a nice, respectful way.

If you still have slim jims handy, get out there and hand them out!

If you haven't talked to your neighbors on your street, go and say hi and give them some information and let them know that the media hasn't been doing a good job exposing the positions of the candidates, but you've been reading into it for months and months, so if they have any questions, they can just email/call you anytime.

Be creative and be civil!
Good luck!