PDA

View Full Version : Stock market crashing again.

werdd
01-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Down 100 points in the past hour, Dow is at -260, apple has lost billions of dollars, and microsoft is trading at 30 bucks(might be a good stock to buy).

How long is it before people start realizing the only person adressing this issues is our man? Will we really have to hit rock bottom?

Fox McCloud
01-23-2008, 12:50 PM
I hate to say it, but it might be too late for the American people.....

I hope I'm wrong though; I hope this is a huge smack in their faces, and they wake up and see the name "Ron Paul" coming into very sharp focus.

khorbis
01-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Hmmm...WOULD Microsoft be a good buy? *ponders*

EvilNight
01-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Well, take it from a tech guy.

Microsoft's monopoly on Operating Systems is almost certainly poised to end. However, they still provide one hell of a business suite with Exchange/Office/Project etc. They have a great development environment with Visual Studio. They have the leading gaming console (The XBox 360) though that fight is far from over. They have one hell of a programming team and a lot of smart people working for them. They even have some awesome research projects lately (check the TED Talks for the one on Photosynth).

Microsoft will be around for a long time. Losing their OS monopoly will leave them no choice but to interoperate with everyone instead of trying to shut everything out. That frankly is the biggest problem with Microsoft as a company. Losing the OS monopoly will do wonders for their business. I think there's plenty of money to be made there.

Their current management are, however, idiots down to the last man. That's the only problem.

werdd
01-23-2008, 01:26 PM

Microsoft's monopoly on Operating Systems is almost certainly poised to end. However, they still provide one hell of a business suite with Exchange/Office/Project etc. They have a great development environment with Visual Studio. They have the leading gaming console (The XBox 360) though that fight is far from over. They have one hell of a programming team and a lot of smart people working for them. They even have some awesome research projects lately (check the TED Talks for the one on Photosynth).

Microsoft will be around for a long time. Losing their OS monopoly will leave them no choice but to interoperate with everyone instead of trying to shut everything out. That frankly is the biggest problem with Microsoft as a company. Losing the OS monopoly will do wonders for their business. I think there's plenty of money to be made there.

Their current management are, however, idiots down to the last man. That's the only problem.

I really don't see that happening anytime soon. It's going to take a major shift to get businesses to trust Linux on the userbase level. I think it's likely that linux will completely dominate the serverside, but i dont see anyone switching over to mac, or linux, when they have become so accustomed to the user interface microsoft has drilled into their brains.

If i had the money i'd buy a thousand shares right now, once their losses on the 360 pan out, and vista start's catching on and releases a service pack adressing the memory dump issues, i think microsoft climbs.

Also, microsoft's new Point of Sales(POS) interface is really nice, and is gonna blow everything else out of the market. I might buy 100 shares soon just to see what happens.

Malakai0
01-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Hmmm...WOULD Microsoft be a good buy? *ponders*

Not with the general sentiment among enthusiasts (who are the ones people go to ask if they should upgrade) being so negative about Vista.

I tried to like it, I really did. Vista is the Windows ME of this decade. The next widows will be what longhorn (vista) was supposed to be, ie new file system and completely new core.

Malakai0
01-23-2008, 01:49 PM

I completely agree. If windows came with a lot less stuff packed inside it, and was just a nice smooth easy to use os that worked well with other products/open source stuff instead of fighting them every step of the way, they would definitely do better =)

Like, why would anyone use the king bloated WMP when media player classic (the open source one) is 680k and just a few clicks away?

BreakYourChains
01-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Down 100 points in the past hour, Dow is at -260, apple has lost billions of dollars, and microsoft is trading at 30 bucks(might be a good stock to buy).

How long is it before people start realizing the only person adressing this issues is our man? Will we really have to hit rock bottom?

They are bringing it back now. Only down 15 or less points. It is not time to crash the market yet. Gotta get closer to the election.....in my opinion...

misericordia
01-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Did I just see "Fed to cut 3 x .50 basis points"???

it might have been canada.

werdd
01-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Not with the general sentiment among enthusiasts (who are the ones people go to ask if they should upgrade) being so negative about Vista.

I tried to like it, I really did. Vista is the Windows ME of this decade. The next widows will be what longhorn (vista) was supposed to be, ie new file system and completely new core.

Man, back in the day people were saying that shit about XP sp1. And everyone was refusing to switch from windows 2000 because it was stable. Then they released SP2 and voila it was the greatest OS around.

Vista isnt bad if you get 64 bit business, turn off all of the security controlls, and have a decent ammount of RAM. When Vista SP2 comes out it will become the new XP, trust me.

werdd
01-23-2008, 04:13 PM
on a lighter note the market bounced back miraculously 300 points, seem's kind of fishy, and im kind of buying into the "dead cat bounce" theory. We will know tomorrow, or by next week atleast.

an.old.analyst
01-23-2008, 04:20 PM
They are bringing it back now. Only down 15 or less points. It is not time to crash the market yet. Gotta get closer to the election.....in my opinion...
Plunge Protection Team (PPT) will keep economy liquid until after presidential swearing-in ceremony. But, they still need to bring Canadian/US dollars in par with Mexican peso, at least before they complete the NAU economic integration.

Cowlesy
01-23-2008, 04:22 PM
The shorts got squeezed out hardcore in the financial services today.

asgardshill
01-23-2008, 04:38 PM
The shorts got squeezed out hardcore in the financial services today.

Yup, including me (cringe). I won't be eating Alpo tonight but today hurt.

Brotha, can ya spare a dimmmmmme ....