PDA

View Full Version : GROUND REPORT - D.C. March for life rally, 1/22/08

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-23-2008, 10:50 AM
I drove about two hours to catch the subway to the Smithsonian where we were meeting up for the day. I arrived a little after 8 a.m. and there was a small group out there already. Within a few minutes there were a couple of vehicles that arrived loaded down with signs,stickers,hats,banners,poles,etc. We got everything out and immediately got to work passing out literature to the first arrivals coming in on the subway.

Around 8:45 we broke up in to teams and the first team went to the MCI center where a pre march youth rally was taking place and about 8 our people met them coming out of the building with signs and slim jims. We also had "pro life" cards with the image of Ron Paul holding a newborn wrapped in the flag. These seemed to go over well.

I went with the second team over towards the White House. We passed out a little bit of literature in that area and we did sign waves at each intersection. After a brief period over there my group came back towards the Smithsonian and started passing out more literature among the crowd (which was growing quickly). We also had teams which were meeting the buses as they arrived and handing out literature to everyone getting off the busses. My group managed to get in front of quite a few cameras which were doing interviews with people on the ground. I personally talked with people from a Japanese news agency,nbc and abc.

After a half hour or so of passing out literature and sign waving we got to work helping to get banners and signs set up throughout the capitol mall. The crowd was really growing at this point so everyone decided to take their positions throught the crowd. I was in the extreme left of the front row by the stage. A singing group known as "the voices of liberty" took the stage and sang a few Christian songs and patriotic songs through which we waved our signs like mad.

When the singing was done, the speakers took the stage and the second speaker was Ron Paul and we went wild when he took the stage. He gave a strong speech which elicited a great reaction from the crowd. He discussed his experience as an ob/gyn and even touched on the constitution and taxes. The crowd around me really ate it up!

When Dr. Paul finished speaking he came off the stage and came right over into the crowd and shook hands and met with people. He thanked me for coming out and braving the cold (it was at or below freezing all day long) and then he was shuffled off to get to the rear of the stage where he met more people. I left the area since the other speakers coming up were neocons who I did not care to hear and plus I had to get back to work. I joined back with some other supporters and started a procession down towards the starting point of the march route. I handed out more literature and stickers and answered quite a few questions. When I got to the starting point I joined up with a fellow supporter from Pittsburgh,PA who had a HUGE banner that read "support the sanctity of life act and sponsor Ron Paul". We moved down the parade route and took a position on a small wall across from the FEC building and across the street from another team who was holding a banner. When the march started we held the banner up as high as we could for the entire march and we had tons of support from the crowd. We had many people scream "ron paul" and a lot of thumbs up and I even had people leave the march to come up and shake my hand to say thank you for being there and doing this. When the march had passed, another supporter took my spot with the banner and they formed the rear of the line. I started my way back towards the Smithsonian station and passed out hat remaining literature I had to the D.C. police and I thanked them for the job they did and told them how Ron Paul understands how difficult their jobs can and how he wants to help them out. They were very receptive to the message. On my way back towards the station I was looking for any literature or stickers that were thrown on the ground and I only found 2 things which I picked up.

I made it back to the subway station I left from at roughly 4 p.m., I was tired and freezing cold and could barely lift my arms over my head from all the sign waving and banner holding. I went into the parking garage and quickly found that MY TRUCK WAS STOLEN. Another woman could not find her van which was near my truck in the parking garage so it looks like a team hit the location and took off with several vehicles. So I went back to the subway station and had the customer service people call the police. Since I was upset about my truck and had to wait for the police to show up, I decided to take my mind off things and campaign outside of the subway station. I talked to several homeless guys and I went back in the station and bought them some hot food and gave them a few dollars along with some slim jims which they started passing out for me on the other sides of the station. I passed out a lot of stuff to people coming in and out including a lot of military men and women who were very supportive. There was one old black lady who walked by and adjusted her glasses to look up at my sign. She said "is that for Ron Paul? so I responded with "yes ma'am" and she replied with "I love that man, I even gave him some money and I am going to vote for him".

Shortly after the incident with the elderly lady is when the cop arrived. She was one of the nicest cops I had ever met and was very helpful and very consoling. So we sat in her car so I could have some heat while she filled out the incident report and I gave her some literature and she listened to what I had to say and she agreed that he was what we needed and she will be voting for him in the Maryland primary. Two hours later my wife showed up to pick me up and to be quite honest, I am still cold lol

So outside of the truck incident it was a GREAT day for us. One of the march organizers told me that they think they had close to 140,000 people out there and I know that we got the attention of everyone in the crowd and I would say we got literature to at least 75% of them.

I only ran into a few people who had negative remarks to make but I ran into a TON who had positive things to say. Some of the folks were getting off their buses with their own Ron Paul signs and they had no idea we were going to be there. I had numerous people tell me that they were supporting Huckabee but they took our slim jims and stickers and almost all of them said like "I am really disappointed that Huckabee did not come here but I see that your man is here and all of you guys are out here standing up for what you believe in so I think I am going to vote for Ron Paul". By the end of the day we had converted a LOT of voters and had exposed thousands to the message of Dr. Paul and even those who were not converted were left with a very positive image of his supporters.

A big thank you to the legion of supporters who showed up and campaigned their hearts out. Many of us did not even stop to eat or drink so we could keep working and we all suffered through bone chilling cold to get that message out so big kudos to all of those who made this happen.

SOME QICK NOTES

This was broadcast live by EWTN and was also simulcast on their website (or so we were told)

C-SPAN was recording this event and I have no idea when it will be aired

Many news agencies were taking photos so be on the lookout for those images of our banners and supporters

One item of concern is that many people said they liked Ron Paul but they had heard he dropped out of the race. I dont know where they got this information but we need to think of a way to counter this thought on a massive scale.

Sorry if this post seems jumbled but even now I am still cold and I am tired and sore as hell so please cut me some slack lol

literatim
01-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Awesome, great work. :)

We also had "pro life" cards with the image of Ron Paul holding a newborn wrapped in the flag. These seemed to over well.

Could I get the image or pdf of that flier.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-23-2008, 10:57 AM

Yeah.. I will dig one out of my bag later and see if I can get it scanned and posted here for you. They werent really fliers though, they were done like a 4 sided business card to make them easier to carry since we had so much other stuff as well.

rdenner
Great Job and good post :)

pacelli
You're an incredible person, thank you for getting out there and continuing to sacrifice yourself even after some evil psychopaths seized the moment to steal your truck! I hope everything works out for you with that- you certainly deserve a break. It is nice to hear a ground report about this event!

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-23-2008, 10:59 AM
You're an incredible person, thank you for getting out there and continuing to sacrifice yourself even after some evil psychopaths seized the moment to steal your truck! I hope everything works out for you with that- you certainly deserve a break. It is nice to hear a ground report about this event!

Thank you :-) Thankfully I have full coverage which covers auto theft and plus if we get Dr. Paul into office than I will save enough on income tax to buy a better truck anyway :D

pacelli
01-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Thank you :-) Thankfully I have full coverage which covers auto theft and plus if we get Dr. Paul into office than I will save enough on income tax to buy a better truck anyway :D

:) You have such a wonderful attitude, Keep up the good work!

roversaurus
01-23-2008, 11:05 AM
My daughter was in the march.

She called me when she came upon Ron Paul speaking and stayed
to listen. She said Ron Paul people were everywhere handing literature out
and holding signs. She said he was the only candidate showing support
there. Alan Keyes spoke but he had no supporters there.

Eric21ND
01-23-2008, 11:08 AM
What an incredible story, sounds like a big success was made by you and all the others. It really is quite surprising the positive response you get from people on the street when you show your Ron Paul support. It's like they come out of the woodwork.

I hope you get your truck back!

fuzzybekool
01-23-2008, 11:12 AM
bump

SovereignMN
01-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the report. Hopefully your truck was decked out with Ron Paul bumper stickers. At least we'll get some free advertising out of your loss. :(

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the report. Hopefully your truck was decked out with Ron Paul bumper stickers. At least we'll get some free advertising out of your loss. :(

Yep the back was pretty much covered with Ron Paul stuff and I even had some signs in the back :-(

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-23-2008, 12:15 PM
My truck was found and it appears to be in decent enough condition. Good job metro PD

robert4rp08
01-23-2008, 12:18 PM
excellent work! great story to read too!

michaelwise
01-23-2008, 12:45 PM
A relative of my family called last knight from up north and mentioned she saw Dr. Paul at the rally, she is a big pro-lifer. She didn't know I was a Ron Paul supporter when she said she is going to vote for Ron Paul. Made my day.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-23-2008, 12:49 PM
A relative of my family called last knight from up north and mentioned she saw Dr. Paul at the rally, she is a big pro-lifer. She didn't know I was a Ron Paul supporter when she said she is going to vote for Ron Paul. Made my day.

A lot of people commented about how impressed they were that Ron was the only one to quit campaigning long enough to actually come talk to the masses there and that his supporters were the only ones to show up. I know a lot of people here arent exactly pro life but I hope they understand how important this rally was and how many people we converted yesterday. I have NEVER seen anything like yesterday in my life and in my humble opinion it ranks as one of the proudest days for the revolution thus far.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Just got back from D.C. My truck was found and it appears to be in good condition. I dont think they know who took it but at least I got it back :D

andym
01-23-2008, 09:43 PM
I and another fellow was on the corner of 6th and Constitution holding up a banner stating "Support the Sanctity of Life Act & its Sponsor Ron Paul". I know thousands saw it and many took pictures. I wish I was able to get a photo or two of us holding up this banner.

TruckinMike
01-23-2008, 09:58 PM
WoW!!! Good Job!

TM

andym
01-23-2008, 10:00 PM
When I got to the starting point I joined up with a fellow supporter from Pittsburgh,PA who had a HUGE banner that read "support the sanctity of life act and sponsor Ron Paul". We moved down the parade route and took a position on a small wall across from the FEC building and across the street from another team who was holding a banner. When the march started we held the banner up as high as we could for the entire march and we had tons of support from the crowd. We had many people scream "ron paul" and a lot of thumbs up and I even had people leave the march to come up and shake my hand to say thank you for being there and doing this.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice , TOO FUNNY! Yes, this was me, and you doing this. I wish I read through your entire email before posting the first response. It was exhausting, wasn't it? I was so pooped on the bus drive home. I'm glad you found your truck. It would be neat if somehow we were able to see one of those photos taken of us holding up this huge banner, wouldn't it?

cheese
01-23-2008, 10:00 PM
incredible story

andym
01-23-2008, 10:02 PM

Hey Literatim, I have a link to it on another forum post. Look for the post on Jane Roe / Norma McCorvey endorsing Ron Paul.

dawnbt
01-23-2008, 10:09 PM
What an inspiring day! Bravo to you and everyone supporter who attended!! We need to find out when more of these type of rally's are being held and go!

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Andy,

There were a lot of pictures taken so I am sure it ill pop up somewhere. A photographer from the Diocese(sp?) of D.C. took our photo for a publication they have. Hopefully a Catholic in the area will see it and post it here. It was totally exhausting and my arms and legs have felt like jello all day long but man I cannot wait to do it again. I am going to try to organize a sign wave on both sides of the Chesapeake Bay bridge so hopefully I can get a lot of our other Maryland supporters out there with me!

billyjoeallen
01-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Excellent work. Carry on, soldier.

RobS
01-23-2008, 10:14 PM
"I went into the parking garage and quickly found that MY TRUCK WAS STOLEN."

More than likely it was a Huck supporter, I heard he really needs gas for the bus :D

newmedia4ron
01-23-2008, 10:16 PM
*hat Tip* X 100,000

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-23-2008, 10:17 PM
"I went into the parking garage and quickly found that MY TRUCK WAS STOLEN."

More than likely it was a Huck supporter, I heard he really needs gas for the bus :D

Well that could be lmao. I know it wasnt a ghoul supporter because quite frankly I dont think they exist anymore and it wasnt a Romney supporter since they were courteous enough not to take it to a chop shop to make a few dollars at someone else's expense. My wife said it was probably the feds and they bugged my truck lol

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Andy,

Thank you for posting that image. It is very powerful and the last time I tried posting photos/fils here it was an absolute disaster so I appreciate it lol

TwiLeXia
01-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Incredible work!!

I really hope you get your truck back.

andym
01-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Yea, I was pooped, and then I collected hundreds of pieces of literature to take back to Pittsburgh to hand out for our door-to-doors. The campaign gave them to me after the march so this was taken from what was left. But I carried back much more weight to the bus than what I came with. And there was a big detour to the bus around the Capital Building because the police saw a "suspicious package". I was halfway to the bus when I had to doubleback and take the detour. I previously asked for today off from work, and I'm glad I did, as I'm still hurting from holding high that banner.

Again the card of the Doctor Paul holding the baby in an American Flag is linked to another post I have here in the forum, on Norma McCorvey endorsing Ron Paul. It's a pdf document.

Andy,

There were a lot of pictures taken so I am sure it ill pop up somewhere. A photographer from the Diocese(sp?) of D.C. took our photo for a publication they have. Hopefully a Catholic in the area will see it and post it here. It was totally exhausting and my arms and legs have felt like jello all day long but man I cannot wait to do it again. I am going to try to organize a sign wave on both sides of the Chesapeake Bay bridge so hopefully I can get a lot of our other Maryland supporters out there with me!

nc4rp
01-23-2008, 10:28 PM
thanks for posting. i hope you get your truck back.

you might have made a big change in the world during your time campaigning.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Incredible work!!

I really hope you get your truck back.

The metro police called me this afternoon and said they have found my truck and it was actually in pretty good shape so I went and got it earlier. I REALLY lucked out this time!

dblee
01-23-2008, 10:49 PM
sorry about your truck man. thank you so much for your hard work! sounds like a great success!

Yeah I get that line about 'I thought he dropped out?' I have no idea where they are getting this, but it seems like someone's agenda is working.

mkrfctr
01-23-2008, 11:53 PM
They probably ditched the truck because they were tired of people pulling along side and asking about Ron Paul!

Signzit
01-24-2008, 12:42 AM
pictures videos?

you tube?

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-24-2008, 12:49 AM
I did not get any video or audio clips. I know there are some video clips on youtube but I do not use the site so you will have to find them for yourself. C-Span and Ewtn recorded the event and you may be able to find it on their websites or on marchforlife.com or .org (dont know what they use). I did manage to snap just a couple of photos (kinda had my hands full lol) and I will try to get those posted sometime tomorrow.

Signzit
01-24-2008, 12:55 AM
wow, a lot of folks.

a target rich environment thats for sure!

good job

March for Life 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2SSUj--DmI)
ron paul signs @ 01:08/02:22

BreakYourChains
01-24-2008, 12:58 AM
Just got back from D.C. My truck was found and it appears to be in good condition. I dont think they know who took it but at least I got it back :D

Hey, you never know! You might have converted the thief after he read all of the Ron Paul literature! Thanks for your dedication and hard work!

misericordia
01-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Maybe the stolen truck was by divine design.

I don't think we should forget that, first they hail the chief, and then they crucify him.
We have to prepare for that. We must stand together, even to the death.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-24-2008, 10:33 AM
I took a look at google earlier and there are tons of religious and pro life websites reporting the Jane Roe endorsement and also reporting the fact that Ron Paul was the only one who had the courage to appear before the masses at the march. I am really starting to think that this is going to turn out huge for us when it comes to appealing to the pro-life community and religious voters.

Signzit
01-24-2008, 01:19 PM
I took a look at google earlier and there are tons of religious and pro life websites reporting the Jane Roe endorsement and also reporting the fact that Ron Paul was the only one who had the courage to appear before the masses at the march. I am really starting to think that this is going to turn out huge for us when it comes to appealing to the pro-life community and religious voters.

Is this you in the black hat with the RP Doctor Sign?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2SSUj--DmI

it's at 01:07- 01:14 of the video they pointed the camera right AT someone with a Ron Paul sign!

webber53
01-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Thank you for your dedication and commitment.
You make us proud.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Is this you in the black hat with the RP Doctor Sign?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2SSUj--DmI

it's at 01:07- 01:14 of the video they pointed the camera right AT someone with a Ron Paul sign!

Sadly, If I tried watching youtube I think my computer would blow up lol. I can assure you though that I was not wearing a hat at all that day. We had a box of black tri-corner hats that some of our people were wearing but I would have never been able to get my big head into one of those :D

andym
01-26-2008, 07:21 AM
wow, a lot of folks.

a target rich environment thats for sure!

good job

March for Life 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2SSUj--DmI)
ron paul signs @ 01:08/02:22

THat's a great sign at 1:08. Here's another YouTube of Dr. Paul speaking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Zn-oVV4U8

I have everything from CSPAN on VHS tape. Much of this is also on the CSPAN video archive site. The same with EWTN. I'd like to get the originals on tape.

andym
01-26-2008, 07:28 AM

The only problem is that some groups, including National Right to Life, I'm almost convinced are not prolife. I believe NRTL wants to keep abortion legal, for as long as this happens, they are funded by prolifers who don't know any better. A real prolife group wants to put themselves out of business, to put to an end and find a solution to the problem. From NRTL's track record, in actually joining abortion groups like Planned Parenthood when it comes to legislation which would outlaw abortion, they have fought against real prolife legislation tooth and nail. I wonder if they'd be against Dr. Paul's Sanctity of Life Act? I think they've been successful in moving it to obscurity, by not even bringing it up.

I was at the local chapter of the NRTL convention in Pittsburgh, and the legislative head of NRTL was there giving a talk. Before talking, she was seated at the table next to my table. You should have seen her glaring at me, as I was proudly wearing a Ron Paul t-shirt. I think proabortion "prolife" groups like NRTL has a long way to go.

andym
01-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Sadly, If I tried watching youtube I think my computer would blow up lol. I can assure you though that I was not wearing a hat at all that day. We had a box of black tri-corner hats that some of our people were wearing but I would have never been able to get my big head into one of those :D

I can look at YouTube and I was with jdmyprez_deo_vindice. No that wasn't him. THere were lots of RP supporters there. That is a great sign though. The image on that sign is also the image on this card.
http://www.rickmartel.org/RP2008.pdf

I wish someone would have taken pictures / videos of us with our 30 foot banner. Again it said "Support the Sanctity of Life Act & its sponsor Ron Paul".