PDA

View Full Version : In the general election, do ALL 'right-ins' from all parties go to that candidate?

A Ron Paul Rebel
01-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Looking ahead at the general elections strategizing for a victory,
I'm curious on if all write-ins will go to that candidate no matter
what party they are in (if any).

Some help please.

Huter

Bradley in DC
01-23-2008, 10:50 AM
I think you mean "write-ins."

Your question is otherwise not clear. Some of the answers will depend on state law. In the general election, we don't have direct elections for president. We vote for our presidential electors to the Electoral College.

Similarly, for the Republican primaries, one doesn't vote directly for Ron Paul but for his slate of delegate candidates to the Republican national nominating convention.

A Ron Paul Rebel
01-23-2008, 10:58 AM

A Ron Paul Rebel
01-23-2008, 10:59 AM
I think you mean "write-ins."

Yes! :o

Ok, a couple different scenarios...

a) Paul is Rep. nominee
b) Paul is Ind. nominee
c) Paul isn't on the ballot and has to be 'wrote-in'

Either way it may be, are 'write-ins' limited by party as in the Primary?

Hunter

acptulsa
01-23-2008, 11:23 AM
A better question is, can you write in a name on a diabolical Diebold?

This brings up a thought I had. We all need to be thinking about how to get Dr. Paul on the ballot in each state. It generally takes a fat petition. Since it looks like there will be no clear cut winner in the G.O.P. primaries, it would behoove us to have something extra to hold over the heads of the others. An organization moving in each state to get Paul on as an independent would be that something.

I know Dr. Paul said he won't run in an independent party. Who said anything about a third party? What I am saying is that our organizing strength and the threat of having him independently on each state's ballot will give him more barganing power in a brokered convention. And if they won't give him his (and our) due in the broker negotiations, we'll basically be in a position to draft him into the race! In which case, he won't be running as a third party candidate, and in fact won't be running at all--we'll just have another chance to vote for him!

And no, parties have nothing to say about either write-in candidates or names placed on ballots by petition.

Bradley in DC
01-23-2008, 12:01 PM
c) Paul isn't on the ballot and has to be 'wrote-in'

Either way it may be, are 'write-ins' limited by party as in the Primary?

Hunter

Hunter,

Has to be "written-in" ;)

There has to be a slate of presidential electors to the Electoral College to be voted for by you, even as a write-in vote. The laws on write-ins are, I think, state law. I'm pretty sure that the states can't add to the Constitutional requirements for president. In short, the write-in approach is not a very feasible one.