PDA

View Full Version : On The Bright Side Of A Depression.

whobot
01-23-2008, 05:22 AM
I will probably get flamed off the planet for saying this but.... thats ok, bring it on! Getting flamed of the planet sounds oddly appealing right now anyways.

Am I the only one who thinks a great depression might not be such a bad thing? I'm not saying I would want one over - living in a free society mind you - but the whole free society thing doesn't seem to jive well with a certain group of folks who happen to run things.

So instead of all these bummer topics on the subject lets look at some good sides of an economic collapse shall we. :)

1.It's said a key element of a successful fascist regime is being able to "feed the people". In other words fascism can't survive during a great depression. .. I would prefer an economic collapse over fascism in an instant. The fact that we have to even think about one or the other is of course the real problem. Is this the main reason why Bush and the Fed are artificially stimulating the economy with lower interest rates?

2.We'll learn the value of freedom and how money is nothing without it. We're in this mess today because we value the dollar over our liberty. Many of us are worse off then the serfs were back in the good ole' days when it comes to freedom anyways. Only we don't even realize it.

3.People will start thinking for themselves again, or in many cases people will start thinking period (At least one could hope). The majority of us today bulk at the mention that 9/11 was an inside job. A depression oddly enough could change this mentality, so people won't feel scared to talk about it, and the more serious problems it leads to. After all, how can you fix a problem when you don't even know the cause?

4.Many people will get back to family values and the good old community spirit that our government and education institutions have stripped from us. During a depression if we all work together and organize and chip in our time we would have no problem keeping everyone alive and well. Seems optimistic? It's proven time and time again that disasters unite people. I would happily put in all my time where ever I could to help, and I know many others that would. The money the majority of us make is gone by the end of the month on taxes, food, taxes, living expenses, taxes and taxes anyways. Thus money is the grand illusion. The vast majority of us, aka the working class, would have no less at the end of the day then we do now if we all keep our heads on straight.

5.Britney Spears will no longer be splattered all over the MSM. The fact that she makes headline news today almost makes me wish for a great depression. Yes people think about it... Britney Spears is making headline news. Headline news is suppose to inform us of issues going on to make our communities safer and better, or to educate us in ways to improve our society as a whole. Most importantly headline news and the first amendment are tools that were suppose to protect us from corruption and loss of liberties.... oops.

sedele
01-23-2008, 09:30 AM
I really appreciate your optimism and I agree with you.

whobot
01-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks.

It's no secret that if you go out on a rainy day expecting it to be miserable, it will be miserable. The results are much better if you go out on a rainy day expecting it to be beautiful.

pcosmar
01-23-2008, 05:37 PM
You raise some good points, and though it would be unfortunate, a culling of the herd would make those that survive stronger and smarter.
At least for a generation or two.

benhaskins
01-23-2008, 05:49 PM
my concern might be more government and not less

phree
01-23-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm ready for anything.

steve254
01-23-2008, 06:50 PM
got gold?

forsmant
01-23-2008, 07:02 PM
1.It's said a key element of a successful fascist regime is being able to "feed the people". In other words fascism can't survive during a great depression. .. I would prefer an economic collapse over fascism in an instant. The fact that we have to even think about one or the other is of course the real problem. Is this the main reason why Bush and the Fed are artificially stimulating the economy with lower interest rates?

2.We'll learn the value of freedom and how money is nothing without it. We're in this mess today because we value the dollar over our liberty. Many of us are worse off then the serfs were back in the good ole' days when it comes to freedom anyways. Only we don't even realize it.

3.People will start thinking for themselves again, or in many cases people will start thinking period (At least one could hope). The majority of us today bulk at the mention that 9/11 was an inside job. A depression oddly enough could change this mentality, so people won't feel scared to talk about it, and the more serious problems it leads to. After all, how can you fix a problem when you don't even know the cause?

4.Many people will get back to family values and the good old community spirit that our government and education institutions have stripped from us. During a depression if we all work together and organize and chip in our time we would have no problem keeping everyone alive and well. Seems optimistic? It's proven time and time again that disasters unite people. I would happily put in all my time where ever I could to help, and I know many others that would. The money the majority of us make is gone by the end of the month on taxes, food, taxes, living expenses, taxes and taxes anyways. Thus money is the grand illusion. The vast majority of us, aka the working class, would have no less at the end of the day then we do now if we all keep our heads on straight.

5.Britney Spears will no longer be splattered all over the MSM. The fact that she makes headline news today almost makes me wish for a great depression. Yes people think about it... Britney Spears is making headline news. Headline news is suppose to inform us of issues going on to make our communities safer and better, or to educate us in ways to improve our society as a whole. Most importantly headline news and the first amendment are tools that were suppose to protect us from corruption and loss of liberties.... oops.

The first Great Depression brought us the New Deal. While not recognized as fascist it was statism at its worst.

A new depression will probably lead to more people requesting to be bailed out. Thus less freedom and less thinking.

The working class is in debt to their eyeballs. This will affect all of us. When we get fired and are unable to pay the debt, the banks will reclaim property. Most peoples stuff isn't really theirs anyway.

Britney who? I thought she would have died before Heath Ledger.

spudea
01-23-2008, 07:10 PM
If we could get rid of our banking system first, yeah. But a depression would hurt the poor and further enslave us to the banks.

Cigaboo
01-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Unfortunately it will probably cause people to rely on government even more, increasing their control.

But yeah, one side benefit is that vanity and a lot of the pretentiousness of our culture will go right out the window. And it may strengthen families.

asgardshill
01-23-2008, 08:33 PM
I never thought I would be quoting Nietszche in a Depression thread, but "That which does not kill me makes me stronger." My house and land are paid for (except for a homestead-low property tax of course), I can grow my own food and can do for myself about 95 percent. So, if the balloon goes up, bring it on (sigh).