PDA

View Full Version : Was the movie "The Patriot" accurate?

Matt Collins
01-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Someone who is more of a history buff please tell me if the movie "The Patriot" accurately reflects the American Revolution?

RonPaulFTFW
01-23-2008, 12:49 AM
Not at all.
as a general rule anything that comes out of a hollywood is probably only 30 percent true... and that's if it's a true story.

Dave Pedersen
01-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Benastre Tarleton was a nasty guy but I don't think he locked a whole town in a church and burned it down. But then I'm not a history buff.

Pauls' Revere
01-23-2008, 01:02 AM
I plan to watch this not for historical reference but the ideas of what "might" it was like. John Adams and the American Revolution.
http://www.hbo.com/films/johnadams/

gaazn
01-23-2008, 01:28 AM
no, it was just Braveheart in a different location.

HOLLYWOOD
01-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Benastre Tarleton was a nasty guy but I don't think he locked a whole town in a church and burned it down. But then I'm not a history buff.

It's WIKI... Caveat EMPOR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banastre_Tarleton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banastre_Tarleton)

hairball
01-23-2008, 02:54 PM

No, but he was very fond of killing the wounded and prisoners. That is how the term 'Tarleton's Quarter' came into being, which essentially meant, no quarter. Kinda backfired on him when the Americans finally ran his gruop down.

nate895
01-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Someone who is more of a history buff please tell me if the movie "The Patriot" accurately reflects the American Revolution?

It is pretty accurate, but a lot of it is artistic license. The character's are based off real life people, but the majority of the events have no historical basis.

asgardshill
01-23-2008, 04:41 PM
No, but he was very fond of killing the wounded and prisoners. That is how the term 'Tarleton's Quarter' came into being, which essentially meant, no quarter. Kinda backfired on him when the Americans finally ran his gruop down.

There was an unsourced claim in the Wiki on Tarleton that all the British officers were invited by their American counterparts to dine with them after the Battle of Yorktown. All that is except Tarleton.

hairball
01-23-2008, 05:19 PM
There was an unsourced claim in the Wiki on Tarleton that all the British officers were invited by their American counterparts to dine with them after the Battle of Yorktown. All that is except Tarleton.

I would not doubt it. Eeven among other British generals, he was not the most well respected.

nate895
01-23-2008, 05:22 PM
I would not doubt it. Eeven among other British generals, he was not the most well respected.

Probably because back then men (and officers in particular) were expected to be GENTLEMEN, something the world forgot when Lincoln and his staff decided to beat their enemies by burning their cities.

Matt Collins
01-23-2008, 06:28 PM
no, it was just Braveheart in a different location.

LOL - I knew that already ha ha ha. But I was curious if I were to show it to a bunch of RP supporters how many it would turn off.