PDA

View Full Version : College Newspaper Article

Fields
01-22-2008, 10:12 PM
I am in college and am a staff writer/editor for a paper that is for 3 different community colleges in Southern California.

Now I have been given an article that bothers me. I'm the only political science major, so I was chosen to write about the election. Then I asked for more specific details and my professor then says to report on the relationship of the top 3 candidates of each party and how they affect students. I then realize, even excluding Thompson, Ron Paul isn't on her radar. I bring him up and she says that "he's a fringe candidate, we always have those type of guys." I follow that up with arguments about how he has placed higher so far and how I thought if I were honest to my readers he was the MOST important candidate to the future of this current student body.

Also, this is my first semester on the paper so I don't have any clout. Furthermore, at the end of this little scuffle I overhear a conversation from the editor in chief and two senior editors, "thank god the fed lowered the interest rate or we'd be in so much trouble. Everything will be fine as long as the fed lowers the rate."

I was about to go Ron Paul on them about how lowering the interest rate only inflates the currency and I'm sure you get the rest of the picture.

I'd like your thoughts on what to do. I'm not a senior editor but I really want to promote good in this country; Ron Paul.

bucfish
01-22-2008, 10:13 PM
SAY he placed second in NV and Has more delegates so far than Huckabee or Guilani Plus is second in cash on hand to Mitt

Yom
01-22-2008, 10:14 PM
I'd do it. To hell with them, this is important! Just don't make it an endorsement of RP or just about him, but include him in your article and how his economic policies matter.

ronpauleddy
01-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Do not write if it's not from your heart!!
otherwise you become a Hack!! a Shill!!
If you don't like what they want to say get off the article and write your own piece!
even if you have to distribute it person to person...do it!

Ronin
01-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Tell her for moral reasons you cannot write this article. If she threatens to fail you explain the situation to the Dean. If that doesn't help respectfully move on. There's nothing wrong with being principled and in the end you will gain respect.

I will add that you shouldn't make the issue necessarily about Ron Paul, but more that you don't believe that is responsible journalism.

Opulen
01-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Sometimes we have to do whats right even if it hurts. I say do what is just. The truth will set us free!!

Fields
01-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Tell her for moral reasons you cannot write this article. If she threatens to fail you explain the situation to the Dean. If that doesn't help respectfully move on. There's nothing wrong with being principled and in the end you will gain respect.

I will add that you shouldn't make the issue necessarily about Ron Paul, but more that you don't believe that is responsible journalism.

But there are always fringe candidates such as the ones you never hear about but can find on wikipedia. What I was thinking of doing is writing about what they want but the last few paragraphs would be pro Paul in the sense that he is the BEST candidate for the future of America. If they don't want that part in it, I refuse to let my name be attached to it.

Fields
01-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Sometimes we have to do whats right even if it hurts. I say do what is just. The truth will set us free!!

Obviously that is much easier said, than done.

PimpBlimp
01-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Make your case to include the top 4 republicans.

Explain that the GOP is wide open and there really isn't a 'top 3' at this point

Fields
01-22-2008, 10:31 PM

Explain that the GOP is wide open and there really isn't a 'top 3' at this point

I in all honestly will, I was wondering what you guys would do.

Goldwater Conservative
01-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Romney, McCain, Paul.

Giuliani is looking at second or third in his Florida "last stand," and he's already down in the polls in his home state and neighboring New Jersey. He's finished behind Paul in four of five contests so far, and he barely scraped by Paul in NH despite spending more time and money than any candidate but Romney. Face it, Rudy is a fringe candidate.

Huckabee is slightly more viable, but he's out of money and couldn't even win in South Carolina. Winning Iowa means nothing since Bush is the only Republican to have won the Iowa caucuses and become president. Huck is to this election what Pat Robertson was in '88 (he too won Iowa back then). He's not going to get very far.

Paul, meanwhile, is in it to the convention and possibly has the most cash on hand of any Republican. He's written off in the same way Reagan was written off when he first ran for president. He's done remarkably well considering he's a member of the House (when was the last time one of them made it this far?) and ignored by the media. He has nowhere to go but up.

Just be as objective as possible.

Trigonx
01-22-2008, 10:33 PM

good point, and also read up about the news on Ron Paul in LA. So far word has been good from peeps in LA about getting RP delegates.

DealzOnWheelz
01-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Engage her as to why she believes he is a fringe candidate and then who she likes and what her issues are and work on her with the message remember you have all the weapons right in your head just let Ron Paul sell himself and maybe ask her if she thinks hes a fringe candidate because every form of media has called him that from day 1 yet he's defied odds with money and votes compared to polls and he's only going up by the way he got more actual votes in nevada than hillary and obama

DealzOnWheelz
01-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Actually aske her if you can do a report on how a Republican Convention works since it hasn't happened for like 70 years and then kinda go into what may happen then you could include all candidates including Ron Paul and you could get some info from here if you need help

LibertyOrDeath1776
01-22-2008, 10:37 PM
If you are unsure about what to do, ask yourself this simple little question. "What would Ron Paul do?" ;)

rfbz
01-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Well you're one of the writers right? You asked for details and they told you what they wanted. Stop asking for what details they want and just start writing.

Fields
01-23-2008, 02:21 AM
If you are unsure about what to do, ask yourself this simple little question. "What would Ron Paul do?" ;)

Thank you that was great.

Well you're one of the writers right? You asked for details and they told you what they wanted. Stop asking for what details they want and just start writing.

That's what I should have been doing. I'll show you guys the story before it goes to print.

ninepointfive
01-23-2008, 02:32 AM

exactly. Just Put Ron Paul as one of the Top 3! because he actually is!

Grandson of Liberty
01-23-2008, 02:33 AM
Top 3 candidates according to whom? "Oh geez, teach, I was going by 4th quarter fundraising!" :D

Fields
01-23-2008, 03:22 AM
Top 3 candidates according to whom? "Oh geez, teach, I was going by 4th quarter fundraising!" :D

I guess I could do something along those lines. Money is power in politics.