PDA

View Full Version : Short article on RP's abortion stance -

jimmyjamsslo
07-31-2007, 02:11 AM
I wrote this article for my meetup group. Bear in mind that I am pro-choice up to the point the fetus' heart starts beating (4th week) as birth control, and in the case of rape.

Permission is granted to plagiarize or use anywhere for the good doctor's cause:

Ron Paul, although a pro-life OB/GYN, firmly believes that abortion should be legislated only at the local state level, in accordance with the constitution's dictum of state sovereignty. Federal mandates concerning abortion, whether pro-choice or pro-life, represent government intrusion into the affairs of our personal lives. Therefore they are in contradiction with one of the prime tenets of the original, traditional Republican platform; the idea of limiting the scope of government.

Personally, Mr. Paul's philosophy of freedom, which enshrines life and liberty as being sacred, precludes violence or coercion towards any individual, including the unborn. As such, he considers abortion to be an act of violence, and consequently feels that it should be resolved at the local level, in the same manner that other acts of physical violence are prosecuted.

Dr. Paul would seek to repeal Roe v. Wade, since it unconstitutionally forces all states to legalize abortion.

As a practicing obstetrician who has delivered more than 4,000 babies, he understands the moral delicacy of this issue. He questions the double standard that would hold him legally culpable if he were to harm the fetus of one of his patients, or if someone physically injures the fetus of a pregnant woman during an act of violence. In these instances, the fetus is conferred status as a legal, living entity, whereas in the case of abortion that status is expediently disregarded.

In summation, Dr. Ron Paul's perspective on abortion is entirely consistent with his constitutional philosophy of protecting individual liberties.

Salamando
07-31-2007, 02:21 AM
Why doesn't he believe the free market will handle the situation?

jimmyjamsslo
07-31-2007, 02:32 AM
Salamando, I wrote this for a hand-out flyer for my Meetup group.

One can only address so many topics for the average reader before they get confused.

I was asked to write about RP's personal stance on the issue.

He never mentions 'free markets' in tandem with this divisive issue. To lump them together would dissuade people from inquiring about the Austrian school of Misean economics, i.e. Lassez-Faire capitalism, especially for the liberal left, who, in spite of their good intentions, fail to understand the dangers inherent in their call for socializing all public services...

Jimmy

foofighter20x
07-31-2007, 02:32 AM
Why doesn't he believe the free market will handle the situation?

'splain your question... :confused: