PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Beck coming around

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 08:55 PM
I noticed lately, especially today, Glenn Beck has been questioning the state of our economy in detail. I posted a transcript in the economics sub-forum of an interview today Glenn did with Peter Schiff... Schiff is a huge RP supporter.

I think that we owe Glenn Beck our thanks simply for questioning the economics in detail. I suggest we email him to thank him. He has been discussing the American economy in detail while all the CNBC pundits are screaming "BUY" and other mindless nonsense.

Here is a transcript of part of Glenn Beck's interview with Peter Schiff:

I took some notes on the interview:

Glen Beck: Does anyone actually believe this is over? (reference to economic problems)

Peter Schiff: No, of course not! What do they want american consumers to do... spend more money? The goverment wants us to spend even more!

Frankel: You two are taking a very unusual position... I think many of our problem are from excessive monetary easing [in the past]. Having said that, some amount of monetary easing is in order.

Glen Beck: The only reason I would support [more monetary easing] is to have the market take a gentle fall instead of fall out of the sky. However, we are talking about a MASSIVE spending bill (reference to rebate checks). How is that going to help anything?

Peter Schiff: Of course, Americans are going to take that and go out another plasma TV. . . [the government] are creating more inflation.

Frankel: Any talk about giving tax cuts to people that don't pay taxes... the tax cuts have gone overwhelminly to the rich. If you're trying to lift yourself out of poverty... we have a high marginal tax rate now... all the past tax cuts have gone primarily to the rich.

Glen Beck (to Frankel): Nice of you to join us Stalin! This is redistribution of wealth!

Peter Schiff: They are debasing our money, we are getting inflation, and it's the poor people that are struggling as a result of what the government is doing.

Glen Beck: I say the real cure is the government to stop this spending... if banks got greedy ... let the pay the price for it! If you signed an interest-only loan, you are too stupid to own a house! Why should the American taxpayer come and bail them out?!

Frankel: You are talking about principal of moral hazard.

Peter Schiff: The government can't bail anyone out.... it doesn't have any money.

yongrel
01-22-2008, 08:56 PM
I can promise you that GB will not be coming around any time soon.

thexjib
01-22-2008, 08:57 PM
bump

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Did you watch the interview... did you read the transcript? Don't be so damn stubborn!

AlexMerced
01-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Of course he's question the economy, those who wanted to say our economy is going strong can't ignore reality anymore

kotetu
01-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Ron Paul said it himself, Glen Beck is a DEMAGOGUE. He says WHATEVER the public opinion polls tell him is going to raise his ratings, and uses it to his best advantage. He is a believer in nothing but himself and the sound of his own voice.

Demagogy (also demagoguery) (Ancient Greek δημαγωγία, from δῆμος dēmos "people" and ἄγειν agein "to lead") refers to a political strategy for obtaining and gaining political power by appealing to the popular prejudices, fears and expectations of the public — typically via impassioned rhetoric and propaganda, and often using nationalist or populist themes.

blakjak
Beck is just like the other msm neocons. His beliefs are in line with Ron Paul's with the exception of foreign policy. This is why he will never "come around".

markderidder
So why aren't they saying "For the love of America VOTE RON PAUL!"

He is the ONLY one say these things and the ONLY one who has the guts to offer the real solution... stop spending, and decrease the size of the federal government by, A LOT!

Doesn't sound so crazy any more does he?

-Mark

WilliamC
01-22-2008, 09:00 PM
I think Glenn Beck wants to keep his TV gig. Other than that he's probably on board.

He's at least on the down-low :rolleyes:

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Yes , Glenn Beck is a demagogue, but he is also a conservative.

He seems to have studied up regarding the economics. . .I concluded this after watching the interview today. I'm not saying he's our best buddy or something, I just think that he was the only one on the major networks (that I saw today) who actually discussed the economics with any sense at all.

How many of the reactionary liberal-turned-RP-supporter college students here actually understand the economics? Can you explain negative-amortization interest-only 2/28 option ARM, and how that would be tranched into the structure of a CDO^2 ? I DOUBT IT

The point is Beck is the only one of the pundits who is making an effort to understand, and I must give him credit for that. He is actually studying what is happening (economically) and reporting it to America. Yes, maybe it is in his own self-interest, but at least he is doing it. For that, he deserves credit.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Beck is an intellectual lightweight, but he is smart enough to understand when RP speaks.

Benaiah
01-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Glenn was on the situation room a few days ago, and then on Lou Dobbs. He said that there is only one Republican running who can-- and is-- drawing support from everyone; Mitt Romney.

Glenn Beck is not going to come around.

Caravello
01-22-2008, 09:02 PM
He still wants to bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran.

So I don't see how he incorporates his economic concerns with the massive costs of bombing Iran.

Nanerbeet
01-22-2008, 09:03 PM
They've been saying Glenn Beck will come around for ages now. He won't. Everything he says mirrors what Ron Paul and the supporters already know but somehow he chooses to ignore us. Probably because he wants to keep his TV gig, and oh yea... he's a mormon and as I was saying before in an earlier thread they are currently pro-war because if we withdraw support from Isreal then God will forsake us in the second coming... which is right around the corner.

ihsv
01-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Glenn was on the situation room a few days ago, and then on Lou Dobbs. He said that there is only one Republican running who can-- and is-- drawing support from everyone; Mitt Romney.

Glenn Beck is not going to come around.

Mitt Romney!!!!! Hah! Is this the same Mitt Romney who, at the last debate, said "(duh) I don't know where the economy is going, but I know how to fix it"?

Dum dee dumb dumb.

CJLauderdale4
01-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Glenn has said many times that he is a Libertarian at heart, and he has been on many domestic issues.

But, he thrives on fear - that's how he makes his ratings. So, if Ron Paul isn't addressing the fear he's built up around "terrorism" then he's not going that way (unless it's the only way, when the others drop out!!)...

liberty_Forever
At least he is explaining the economics! Sheesh, sometimes you people act like a bunch of cattle. CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE ECONOMICS? Why is it so bad that America understands what the hell is going on?

BreakYourChains

He seems to have studied up regarding the economics. . .I concluded this after watching the interview today. I'm not saying he's our best buddy or something, I just think that he was the only one on the major networks (that I saw today) who actually discussed the economics with any sense at all.

How many of the reactionary liberal-turned-RP-supporter college students here actually understand the economics? Can you explain negative-amortization interest-only 2/28 option ARM, and how that would be tranched into the structure of a CDO^2 ? I DOUBT IT

The point is Beck is the only one of the pundits who is making an effort to understand, and I must give him credit for that. He is actually studying what is happening (economically) and reporting it to America. Yes, maybe it is in his own self-interest, but at least he is doing it.

Yes, and I watched him last week one evening, and he did the same thing, which is good. But, then he praises the other Republicans, and does not mention Ron Paul. He is not our friend, and will not come around on TV. He is owned, just like all of the rest, including Lou Dobbs. They will not EVER support Ron Paul unless there is a consensus of Americans in their worshipped POLLS!

kotetu
It's a classic misinformation strategy. Say what sounds nice and get people on your side, then do something else behind their backs. This is the real Glen Beck. Don't fool yourselves, and don't watch his show, you are giving him the ratings he craves.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-22-2008, 09:06 PM
At least he is explaining the economics! Sheesh, sometimes you people act like a bunch of cattle. CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE ECONOMICS? Why is it so bad that America understands what the hell is going on?

He's okay. We can use him, or convert him.

painter4Ron Paul
01-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Glen Beck is a loose cannon.

RSLudlum
01-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Beck's not coming around! He's a Romney man, just had him on his radio show to talk about the ecomony.

driller80545
01-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Imagine what it must be like to believe in a candidate that, if you support him publicly, you will lose your extremely high paying job.

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Did anyone read what I posted? Or have we turned into some sort of group-think machinery here?

Glenn Beck had Peter Schiff on his show today, and gave him a very fair interview. Peter Schiff is an economist and a HUGE Ron Paul supporter. Peter Schiff's father, Irwin Schiff, was a member of the tax honesty movement and is now in prison for tax protesting. Irwin Schiff is also in Aaron Russo's America: Freedom to Fascism.

Beck gave Peter Schiff an honest and fair interview. What is so wrong with that? This is BIGGER THAN RON PAUL, sorry. It's about an economic collapse in America, and Glenn Beck deserves our thanks when he reports the facts to the American public.

Stop being so narrow minded! Yes if Glen Beck goes back to acting like an asshole tomorrow we can send him emails and stop watching his stupid show. But he deserves thanks for doing the right thing today.

Cleaner44
01-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Beck is just like the other msm neocons. His beliefs are in line with Ron Paul's with the exception of foreign policy. This is why he will never "come around".

100% correct. The issue of foriegn policy is what we need to address with Fred Heads we talk to. They think of Ron Paul as weak on national defense. We need to educate them.

ihsv
01-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Wow! Speaking of Romney and the Ecomney (sic), I found this link:

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/01/22/romney-talks-economy/

You think Bush is bad with his 150 Billion plan? Romney's is 233 Billion! Yikers!

Carole
01-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Mr. Beck simply picked Ron Paul's brain and did some more research to make himself sound good when talking to these economic "geniuses". He is in it for himself. Rarely has he ever credited Ron Paul for any of his information.

I think he is scared though of what is going to happen and does care about that.

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 09:19 PM
oh man, Romney is the economic anti-Christ as far as I'm concerned

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Beck certainly did not get the information on the monoline insurers and the interest-only negative AM loans from Ron Paul. He has clearly been reading.

Carole
01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Glenn Beck supports Romney, as he himself has said. Still, I do not see how he can actually be for all the economy and money issues of Ron Paul and still expect us to keep up with this ridiculous war.

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Glenn just is full of contradictions! ... I think Romney is a complete idiot. But regarding GB, I just appreciated the fact that the ONLY facts on television this evening regarding the economy came from Glenn Beck. Unfortunately, that also says something about the sorry state of our broadcast media...

cantnvrcould
01-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Nah - he aint coming around! He interviewed Dr Paul and learned a tad - now he must be reading Dr Paul's books - like Lou Dobbs and others, they are giving no credit where it is due - tonight it was even said that "no person of importance" is even mentioning the Fed etc - maybe write and tell him a presidential candidate with 20 years service in congress and a veteran to boot IS A PERSON OF IMPORTANCE and deserves at least a little mention and credit - that is what I nicely did
TE

Carole
01-22-2008, 09:27 PM
He is no Libertarian or he could not be supporting the war which was not declared. He is a wanna be.

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Hm. . . well maybe you guys are right.. . . if so , then there is absolutely NO information on television which can be used to understand the economy.

kyleAF
01-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Can you explain negative-amortization interest-only 2/28 option ARM, and how that would be tranched into the structure of a CDO^2 ?

No. Please enlighten me. Seriously, I'm trying to get a handle on the market specifics. I understand the general theories of money and credit to some extent, but all the specific market terms are confusing.

What does it mean to square a collateralized debt obligation? Just leveraged twice?

Carole
01-22-2008, 09:31 PM
It sounds to me as though he is trying to make such a big case out of the economy, then using it to promote subtley the "only" candidate who can save America-Romney, because he saved the Olympics. Not so subtle to me though. :rolleyes:

rajibo
01-22-2008, 09:33 PM
I tend to fall asleep with the local talk radio station on and I woke up Sunday morning to somebody on the phone, on the Steve Cordasco money show, who sounded exactly like Ron Paul regarding the economy.

I listened more closely and I thought it sounded like Glenn Beck.

It was Glenn Beck. :eek:

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Kyle:

A CDO^2 is a CDO of CDOs. This is the same way mad cow disease started.

But they basically take a portfolio of CDOs and tranche it all over again. So you get the whole equity, mezzanine, and senior tranches but you cannot tell what's inside because it's just more CDOs.

If you want serious details, it's quite complicated but i have an excellent PDF if I can dig up the link.

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Oh man, if Beck is trying to learn all this just to prop up Romney, that's pathetic.

Romney was a Wall St private equity broker... he CAUSED this whole economic mess, how can we expect him to fix it!

driller80545
01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
I do think that RP educated GB when he was on his show. I also think that if he came out on his show and supported RP that he would be fired right now/

kyleAF
01-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Kyle:

A CDO^2 is a CDO of CDOs. This is the same way mad cow disease started.

But they basically take a portfolio of CDOs and tranche it all over again. So you get the whole equity, mezzanine, and senior tranches but you cannot tell what's inside because it's just more CDOs.

If you want serious details, it's quite complicated but i have an excellent PDF if I can dig up the link.

Thanks! That'd be great.

Carole
01-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Ditto :)

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 09:51 PM
okay let me dig up the PDF

Carole
01-22-2008, 09:53 PM
The difference between Glenn Beck and Rudy Giuliani is that Rudy covers his ears so as not to hear truth, whereas Glenn Beck is just smart enough to pick someone's brain for whom he holds high regard on the money issue, so that he himself can peddle it and sound well informed to his guests and to have intelligent things to say or ask his guests.

But in his mind, he is still peddling Romney who had a sub-par performance as governor regarding the economy and does not really have a clue how to fix it. He agreed completely with Bernanke in the article cited above.

Here it is again:
http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/01/22/romney-talks-economy/

Mitt Romney does listen to Ron Paul, so that he can adjust that message to suit his own philosophy and use it. This is just as Huckabee also did on some issues (remember all the candidates started mentioning the Constitution for a few days?)

Glenn Beck is a user.

Goldwater Conservative
01-22-2008, 10:01 PM
He agrees 99% with Penn Jillette, was extremely deferential to Pat Buchanan, was all but kissing our guy's ass... but apparently the boogeymen in everyone's closets are just so important that every other aspect of our lives and country is dispensable. At best he's a one-issue coward and at worst he's a neo-con fibbertarian. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but don't count on him coming around.

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 10:02 PM
FOUND IT

Whew, you guys owe me one. This was a bitch to find!

http://www.wilmott.com/blogs/satyajitdas/enclosures/creditcrash%2Dsdas%28feb2007%29%2Epdf

Vancouverite90210
01-22-2008, 10:20 PM

The point is Beck is the only one of the pundits who is making an effort to understand, and I must give him credit for that. He is actually studying what is happening (economically) and reporting it to America. Yes, maybe it is in his own self-interest, but at least he is doing it. For that, he deserves credit.
I can't stand watching Beck. I live in Canada where people are educated and I can tell you that this boyish wimp loudmouthed brat is a JOKE and everyone I know up here just laughs at him. I'm OK with him supporting Ron Paul but other times I wish he would go support someone else as hes an embarassment in fact almost every conservative I see is some kind of arrogant gingoistic windbag. I don't think of Ron Paul as a conservative in that sense. I just hope that Ron Paul ushers in a NEW type of conservative, one who is egalitarian and has some sensitivity. An example of what I mean is that with most conservatives, all they ever mention is how many volunteer US troops were killed but never mentions the innocent people murdered by them. Ron is right, this attitude is the very thing that alienates us from most the world and makes our so called "enemies" want to get revenge.

It's the neocons that perverted the word "insurgent" which is a good thing, into implying that they are terrorists when in fact its the neocons that are the terrorist occupiers and the insurgents are the innocent victims of American agression and are fighting against this bogus "authority" much the same was as the Polish Underground were labelled insurgents because they were fighting against Nazi occupiers. Think.

Def. Insurgents: Rising in revolt against established authority, especially a government