PDA

View Full Version : Metro Bus Ads - Captive Audience - CHEAP too!

Kalash
01-22-2008, 08:15 PM
I started taking public transportation about a month ago, and the buses all have TVs in them... showing news, and ads.

The company that does the broadcasting on these TV's is a national company...

They don't allow political Ads in LA, but they do in Chicago and Milwaukee.

LA's out, so I'm out, but the information is available.

An hour is 8 spots - 30 seconds each (longer times are available - if we want longer ones they're available, but I didn't get a price.)

For Chicago - it's $40 per hour, minimum purchase is a "block" of 8 hours - so $320 to advertise to 63,000 people - a TV ad with picture and audio - to an audience that CANNOT change the channel - and has nowhere to go. (I.e. no snack breaks... no bathrooms during the commercials...)
Two options - watch the TV and listen to what its saying...
Or listen to it and start out the window.

For Milwaukee it's $50 per hour...
Minimum purchase of 8 hours (8 times per hour, 8 hours = 64, 30 second ads) = $400 for 73,000 riders.

Here's the email I got back.
We'd need a 30 second video - or if we raise more funds, longer and we'll need to discuss the costs...

And I need people in Milwaukee and Chicago.

They only need 3 days before the ads run - we can get them in before the primaries!

Below is the actual email I got back.

Feel free to contact me if you can/will organize this - with a chip-in or whatever.

I'll get you Tom's information (the sales guy at TransitTV).

These things are CHEAP and should be really targeted - people using public transportation will be hit by this economic crisis the hardest.

Easy pickings.
Get on it!

Mike@revolutioni.st
866-701-7714 (Temp not working - but you can leave a voice message. Please leave an email address - I need to get my phone fixed >_<)

Pricing for the criteria you have outlined is as follows:

Chicago PACE Transit system, (all Chicago suburbs):

$40 per spot. Spots are purchased in 8 hour blocks. Blocks are available either 6am-2pm or 2pm-10pm. Eight spots per hour...One block is $320.00 and delivers 63,000 transit riders per block

Milwaukee:

$50 per spot. Spots are bought in 8 hour blocks. Same block times as above. One block is $400.00 and delivers 73,000 riders per.

Our advertisers are strongly encouraged to buy an equal number of morning/afternoon blocke to insure maximum impression count.

This quote is for 30 second spot. Additional length is available. We require a 3-day window prior to air for tapes and traffic and cash in advance (of course).

Let me know what else I can do to help. Tom

Kalash
01-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Bump...

I think these would be a good addition/alternative to some newspaper ads.

Video...
Come on!!!!

zbus12
01-22-2008, 08:41 PM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/zbus12/Ron_Pual_Busjpg.jpg

please visit this thread to help further the cause!!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=97916

Fudwamper
01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Anyone in Chicago or Milwaukee thats heading up a Ron Paul office please get a fund together that bus advertisement is extremely efficient.

Good Idea.

haaaylee
01-22-2008, 10:03 PM
awesome idea!

TXcarlosTX
01-22-2008, 10:05 PM
wow.great idea

UtahApocalypse
01-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Oh that sounds sweet!!

homah
01-22-2008, 10:13 PM
hell yes / bump

Yom
01-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Great idea, open the chip-in now, and see how much the longer commercials would cost. It would be great if we could get some 1 min or 1:30 ads on there to give Dr. Paul time to explain his views. :D

Opulen
01-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Its been on my mind lately. This is a very efficient and good way of advertising. Please lets make this a reality.

Kalash
01-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Umm...

They're INSIDE the bus TV's - not banners on the outside (that's a different company - and I don't have the local info for you guys...)

Bumping it up again.

TV ads are better than print ads for Ron's message.
And we all know it.

Trigonx
01-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Great idea, open the chip-in now, and see how much the longer commercials would cost. It would be great if we could get some 1 min or 1:30 ads on there to give Dr. Paul time to explain his views. :D

keep it short, people have to get off buses and have to watch for their stops, so getting the message out in a quick 30 seconds would allow more people to view them from start to finish

hummtide
01-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Blump!

Trigonx
01-22-2008, 10:56 PM
bump

Knightskye
01-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Would people pay more attention to text ads or audio ads?

GregVernon
01-22-2008, 11:01 PM
For Chicago - it's $40 per hour, minimum purchase is a "block" of 8 hours - so $320 to advertise to 63,000 people - a TV ad with picture and audio - to an audience that CANNOT change the channel - and has nowhere to go. (I.e. no snack breaks... no bathrooms during the commercials...)
Two options - watch the TV and listen to what its saying...
Or listen to it and start out the window.

Captive Audience HA! HAHAH! HA! What a horrible pun!

But in all seriousness you have my support.

Kalash
01-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Would people pay more attention to text ads or audio ads?

Different places - different audience.

When you're sitting on a bus, there are TVs playing news and ads.
You have little choice but to pay attention.

Catchy music would help LOADS.
They're video ads...
Not audio.

The text ads/banners on the outsides of the buses are a different company - different target audience (i.e. people NOT on the bus.)

Figure out the demographics for public transportation users - what their interests are...
What their wants and needs are...

And target a video ad to them.

They'll be stuck there... and they'll have to watch it.

The banners on the outside - different company.
No idea on the prices.

It's a good idea too, but a different focus...

Opulen
01-22-2008, 11:06 PM
how about this

http://regmedia.co.uk/2007/10/22/bus_ad.jpg

"Ron Paul will save our future"

Kalash
01-22-2008, 11:15 PM
how about this

http://regmedia.co.uk/2007/10/22/bus_ad.jpg

"Ron Paul will save our future"

Those are handled by different companies.

Out here it's CBSOutside.

I'm still waiting to hear from them - but that's just for the LA Metro buses.

I don't know what the outside ad companies are for Chicago or Milwaukee.

davo
01-22-2008, 11:16 PM
ADVERTISE WITH DART = Dallas Area

Bus Exteriors, Bus Interiors, Station Windscreens

Vista Media Group
Contact name: Jennifer Hill
Phone number: 469-330-1440, ext. 12

Electronic Information System
(LED Signage in Buses and Rail)

Streetwise Media
Phone number: 214-969-7200
Contact name: Susan Hassel

Opulen
01-22-2008, 11:23 PM
like this

http://photos13.flickr.com/18476678_2c59d2cd06.jpg

GregVernon
01-22-2008, 11:33 PM
like this

http://photos13.flickr.com/18476678_2c59d2cd06.jpg

I don't think it would work if that was a picture of Ron instead of a girl...

Jules
01-22-2008, 11:55 PM
I work for a well known billboard company and we also do transit just like the ones pictured here. Depending on what side of the bus or how many sides of the bus, the price can range from a few thousand to tens of thousands of dollars.

jake
01-23-2008, 12:06 AM
bump.. this is great.. open a chipin OP?

unloud
01-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Focus people, they are talking about playing video IN the bus.

Trigonx
01-23-2008, 12:11 AM
guys, its for actual TV ads on a TV in a bus. People don't really talk tooo too much on buses and generally mind their own business, but there are TV's on these buses so they basically hear it no matter what.

cheese
01-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Seriously, buy 5 or 10 minute slots and put up Ron Paul: Stop Dreaming or Ron Paul: A New Hope or one of the other really good youtubes over 30 seconds. These won me over in a way that no 30 sec clip could. People will be refusing to get off the bus to heard the whole thing

rmholla
01-23-2008, 12:21 AM
The MeetUp groups in that area should be contacted, if each member chipped in $5 or $10 they could easily buy these ad spot. The ads should be targeted at bus riders and the issues important to them.

-

Opulen
01-23-2008, 12:23 AM
The MeetUp groups in that area should be contacted, if each member chipped in $5 or $10 they could easily buy these ad spot. The ads should be targeted at bus riders and the issues important to them.

-

I agree :)

Kalash
01-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Seriously, buy 5 or 10 minute slots and put up Ron Paul: Stop Dreaming or Ron Paul: A New Hope or one of the other really good youtubes over 30 seconds. These won me over in a way that no 30 sec clip could. People will be refusing to get off the bus to heard the whole thing

That's what I was thinking.

You people seem to like this...

I don't know if I should start pooling money though - I'm out in Cali.

They won't let me run a political ad in the buses out here (Still waiting for CBSOutdoor for the side of the bus ads...)

And I have all kinds of legal issues I need to address that (unfortunately) take precedence to the campaign (Ron Paul promised to pardon me... he's my backup plan...)

I'd prefer to pass this on to local people - in Chicago and Milwaukee if that's possible.

If not - deadline of this Friday - I'll start the chip-in and get things going from out here.

Crickett
01-23-2008, 12:38 AM

-

Yes. I think this is wonderful! I have no buses in my city, but if I did, I would find a way to pay for this myself..it is SUPER.

JustAnAmerican
01-23-2008, 01:28 AM
I'm in Chicago and I've seen these TV ads. I think this is an excellent idea. Start the chipin; I'll donate for sure.

People, these are TV ads broadcast to a captive audience in a state that wields 70 delegates. I've been spreading the word here in Chicago, and every single person I've talked to (except for one who believed that the gold standard would somehow bankrupt us) has had a reaction ranging from favorable to extremely favorable. :D

Again, as a Chicagoan, this is a great idea.

syborius
01-23-2008, 01:49 AM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/zbus12/Ron_Pual_Busjpg.jpg

please visit this thread to help further the cause!!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=97916

:D:D BUMPPPPPP

Kalash
01-23-2008, 03:13 AM
I'm in Chicago and I've seen these TV ads. I think this is an excellent idea. Start the chipin; I'll donate for sure.

People, these are TV ads broadcast to a captive audience in a state that wields 70 delegates. I've been spreading the word here in Chicago, and every single person I've talked to (except for one who believed that the gold standard would somehow bankrupt us) has had a reaction ranging from favorable to extremely favorable. :D

Again, as a Chicagoan, this is a great idea.

Better idea...
Take initiative.

You start the chip in, I'll host a website for it.

How about...
http://Chicago.Revolutioni.st
?

And you can have the email chicago@revolutioni.st to go along with it?

Ricochet
01-23-2008, 03:20 AM
Would be a good place to emphasize the no tax on tips platform.

Fields
01-23-2008, 03:29 AM
Guys I may be seeing something wrong here but isn't political speech protected under the first amendment. Furthermore, public transportation is government run and in the cases I recall about the government restricting speech such as this, they've lost, such as government run schools, courts, plazas and public parks.

When it came to the movie theaters saying no, I totally understand but this is a public business.

HillbillyDan
01-23-2008, 03:32 AM
Do they also sell ad space at the little city bus kiosks?

Fields
01-23-2008, 03:37 AM
Guys I may be seeing something wrong here but isn't political speech protected under the first amendment. Furthermore, public transportation is government run and in the cases I recall about the government restricting speech such as this, they've lost, such as government run schools, courts, plazas and public parks.

When it came to the movie theaters saying no, I totally understand but this is a public business.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Kalash
01-23-2008, 04:09 AM
Anyone have any thoughts?

The buses are public - the ad agency is private.

The bus company contracts out - the private company makes the rules.

Dunno.
I don't have the time or resources to fight this.

I'm guessing the outside stuff- ON the buses...
Probably a free speech issue.

The TV's inside the buses are probably owned by the ad agency just to avoid this kind of lawsuit...

Just a thought.

literatim
01-23-2008, 04:24 AM
I really like this idea.

Fields
01-23-2008, 04:26 AM
The buses are public - the ad agency is private.

The bus company contracts out - the private company makes the rules.

Dunno.
I don't have the time or resources to fight this.

I'm guessing the outside stuff- ON the buses...
Probably a free speech issue.

The TV's inside the buses are probably owned by the ad agency just to avoid this kind of lawsuit...

Just a thought.

Thanks for the input. I was just a bit curious.

Kalash
01-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Well...

One response.
More people are interested in outside the bus ads.

I still think the inside is a good place to target.
Ads are just that - text and images.
We have signs up everywhere.

It's hearing the message that really turns people on.
This is a chance to get the message heard - by a captive audience with nothing else to do or distract them.

And it's WAY cheaper than I thought it would be.

It's cheaper than radio ads out in LA...

So...
I'm still looking for a couple of people to take this project and lead it =P

Let me know if you're feeling responsible.
;)

UtahApocalypse
01-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Focus people, they are talking about playing video IN the bus.

+1

Here in Utah the buses are run by a private company, that is subsidized.

I would recommend this Ad, maybe change the music to something that is not copyright. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRO8m7iUlTY

cputter
01-23-2008, 02:38 PM
I think Videos in buses are a brilliant!

Should be organized through the local meetups though I think.

Jules
01-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Bump!

Kalash
01-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Bump!

Thanks Jules.

I've got someone taking over Chicago (even if I have to twist their arm... I already set them up an email account @revolutioni.st and gave them instructions on what to do next :p)

Still looking for someone from Milwaukee...

Any takers?
Anyone know anyone we can sucker into heading this project?

:D

It shouldn't be very demanding.
You need to raise less than $500 (that could be a single donation with some of the money we've seen coming in...) and pick a video to use (that's the hardest part) and get payment to the ad company.

That's it.
And I'd say - take the bus to ensure they're running - but that's optional (and completely out of the question for me as I'm stuck in Cali...)

If you're willing to raise the money, I'm even willing to liaison between you and TransitTV (the ad company.)

So...
Someone...
Please?

I have a risk of disappearing on a moment's notice (against my will) and don't want to be responsible for raising funds and having them just sit in my paypal account.

That's basically all I'm looking for - someone willing to raise the money and cut the check to the company.
Thanks =D
Mike

ForLibertyFight
01-23-2008, 10:58 PM
bump for great idea

Kalash
01-24-2008, 12:09 AM
bump for great idea

Don't worry.

I have some bad ones too.

One of them is preventing me from being associated with the Paul campaign.
>_<

I'm not here.
You don't see me :p

literatim
01-24-2008, 12:16 AM
A PAC needs to pick up this idea.

Kalash
01-24-2008, 05:06 AM
If a PAC wants to take it on, that's fine with me.

It was recommended we move to the Advertising forums...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

So... head on over there.

I'll copy my original post... I guess...
And we can start trying to get money pooled together in a less active form where the thread's constantly on the 2nd or 3rd page ;)

Kalash
01-24-2008, 10:44 PM
http://chicago.revolutioni.st

One chipin is set up.

Still looking for someone to tackle Milwaukee!

Jules
01-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Awesome. Now is there any way to get that site out to people, especially the meet-up groups around your area?

Kalash
01-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Awesome. Now is there any way to get that site out to people, especially the meet-up groups around your area?

I'm in Los Angeles.
=P

Get it to the OTHER meetup groups.
;)

Kalash
01-25-2008, 10:39 PM
This didn't go over so well.

>_<

Anyone help get it up and running?

hummtide
01-25-2008, 10:51 PM
bump