PDA

View Full Version : A new party???

BillyDkid
01-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Okay, I am pushing for Ron Paul until the bitter end and pray that our movement can take over the party. In the event it doesn't work out like we hope, does anyone else agree that we should create a new political party? None of the existing ones represent us. I have been a Libertarian for many years and will always be a libertarian, but I think that party is hopeless and the voice of the libertarian movement has become Cato and Reason and all those beltway guys. I hesitate to use the word conservative because what does that mean really? Being conservative is not a philosophy or a principle - you are only conservative relative to something. It is more an attitude than anything else and all sorts of people with wildly diverging views call themselves conservatives.

My personal belief is that the principles of libertarianism pretty much encompass what most of us believe in. We certainly have the numbers to create a potent political party. If anyone else thinks this might be a good thing I would write up a list of principles on which such a party might be based and run it by you for your input. And of course we would need a name that might capture what we are all about. I'm thinking that even if we win this thing a new party starting with a clean slate with clear principles would be a good thing. Even if the Libertarians were to get their act together, they have been so discredited in the minds of most Americans they might be a lost cause.

I'm thinking the principles would be essentially those of the Libertarians and those of the founders - that economic and personal liberty are inseparable, the importance of the rule of law/respect and enforcement of the Constitution, the the role of government is to protect our rights and law should be based on protection of rights and not "morality", that our rights come to us naturally and are not granted by the state, self ownership and so on. Maybe this is a really stupid idea, but to me it seems like the time to capture all this energy and to form a party that embodies the values of Dr. Paul and the vast majority of Americans. It's just a thought. My feeling is, if we don't formalize this movement it will all dissipate in as much as many in our movement have never been comfortable with the Libertarians, although many have only been exposed to libertarian ideas through Dr. Paul.