PDA

View Full Version : a question for Veterans (offtopic)

affa
01-22-2008, 05:51 PM
This question is off topic in so much that it has nothing to do with the campaign itself - but i know asking here is the place to do it since I know so many Veterans support Ron Paul. I looked around for a more appropriate subforum but was unsure which was best (mods, feel free to move this thread - I don't mean to crowd the main forum)

I am working on a project for which a good percentage of profits will be donated to some sort of Veteran's hospital or association. We've searched the net and come up with a long list... but we have no idea which ones Veterans actually find useful and would support themselves.

Due to the nature of the project, there are two major issues we're seeking to support - 1) injured and 2) homeless Veterans. National organizations would be best, but only if they have a track record of being effective. Also, it would best if the organization was secular rather than religious due to the diversity of the people involved in the project itself.

Any recommendations would be wonderful.

Thank you.

affa
01-22-2008, 06:31 PM
bump.

Dr.3D
01-22-2008, 06:59 PM
I know this much, it should not be a government controlled organization. I got a VA loan for my first home and when I sold it, the person buying the house took over the payments. A number of years later I received a bill from the VA telling me I had to pay them because the house had been foreclosed on and sold and I owed them the difference they didn't get back from the auction.

I got my legal people on it and finally the VA backed down. But this kind of thing should have never happened in the first place.

affa
01-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Ack - you're right - you should never have been put through that. I'm glad you escaped unscathed.

So... has anyone here had a positive experience? Or do you know anyone who has?

It's really difficult as a non-Veteran to know where best to contribute.

Dr.3D
01-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Well, right now, the best way to help the veteran is to help Dr. Paul. :)

affa
01-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Well, right now, the best way to help the veteran is to help Dr. Paul. :)

Oh, I know this. But for a number of reasons this % needs to go to an actual program that serves Vets.

Dr.3D
01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
How about something to help them find jobs when they get out of the service?

Spirit of '76
01-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Paralyzed Veterans of America does good work.

affa
01-23-2008, 01:27 AM
How about something to help them find jobs when they get out of the service?

While certainly an honorable goal, we're hoping to find something dedicated to dealing with homeless or injured Veterans. That said, helping to find Veterans jobs certainly does tie into the homelessness issue so if you know of a good organization let me know.

Thanks!

affa
01-23-2008, 01:29 AM
Paralyzed Veterans of America does good work.

Thank you! Having recommendations like this really means a lot - it's hard to sift through charities and determine how effective they are.

HOLLYWOOD
01-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Thank you! Having recommendations like this really means a lot - it's hard to sift through charities and determine how effective they are.

Some Education:

http://www.vetsforjustice.com/ (http://www.vetsforjustice.com/)