PDA

View Full Version : How about a 'I'll give what I can when I can' money bomb?

mokkan88
01-22-2008, 05:04 PM
It'll take place over the entire first quarter. If you can give $2300, go for it. If you can give $100, go for it. If you can give $10 weekly, do it.

But most of us were spent for money after December 16th. The economy isn't good (understatement ;)), and we were still able to pull in $2 million yesterday. That's an impressive number given the circumstances, but I think we should expect the final tally of future money bombs to continue to get lower. Most people are strapped.

So give what you can, when you can give it.

Austin
01-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Sorry, but no. I think it has been proven that moneybombs work and they work well. We've tried time and time again to get people to donate on a regular basis, and it just doesn't work. People like to be with the crowd, they like the fact that they donated on a huge day.

More moneybombs, one a month until he is president.

WilliamC
01-22-2008, 05:11 PM
I don't see the point in waiting for a specific day, but hey anything that works is fine with me!

mokkan88
01-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Sorry, but no. I think it has been proven that moneybombs work and they work well. We've tried time and time again to get people to donate on a regular basis, and it just doesn't work. People like to be with the crowd, they like the fact that they donated on a huge day.

My major concern is the media falsely portraying a dwindling number, however impressive it may be in actuality, as a sign of dwindling support.

Weekly moneybombs would be more effective, in my opinion, as long as they are well-organized. Then Ron would get the money he needs but it would be under the radar enough that the media would've react to it negatively. I think we can rule out any positive media coverage, given that yesterday just got a few quick quips from the MSM.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
01-22-2008, 05:18 PM
The campaign REALLY needs to put a goal to reach on their website. Like when they did "fill the quill" or "Fill the radio tower".

Lou337
01-22-2008, 05:22 PM
I agree. I still say bring back the thermometer. I donated once, twice, then three times, then four times on one day just watch my name be on that thing for a little bit. It's addicting.:)

RonPaulFTW08
01-22-2008, 05:23 PM

I really don't think a bomb every month is a good idea at all. A lot of people are drained from the first 2 bombs, which is why this new one was only $1.85M. The moneybombs were great... but I say give it some time.

I say plan a big one at least 2 months down the road.

But still keep on asking people to donate on a regular basis, esp around Super Tuesday.

Dsteenbock
01-22-2008, 05:35 PM
I think If we keep on doing money bombs they might start to lose thier luster. 2 or 3 seem special, but the 10th will be like "Oh another money bomb ho hum". I don't know, but I do think they are too close together. I couldn't donate much for the MLK, or the Tea Party because It was too close to the holidays, and plus I'm always strapped anyways.I've donated on all the money bombs, but I've also donated 10 or 20 bucks whenever I have a bit extra as well.

marm1890
01-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Well, I just signed up to pledge my rebate "stimulus" check to Ron Paul. The gov. wants us to stimulate the economy, right? Well, I say only R.P. can do that! So, here is my pledge to give my check and "stimulate Ron Paul" for our economy. Yeah!!!! A STIMULATE RON MONEY BOMB. Heehee:D

Mini-Me
01-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Monthly moneybombs are a bad idea for several reasons:
1.) If we go with just this idea, we won't be able to get any more money to Ron Paul before Super Tuesday
2.) People are getting drained by giving a large amount once a month. Even if they'd be giving the same amount each month for weekly "mini-bombs," writing a 100 dollar check once a month has more of a psychological sting than writing one 25 dollar check every week.
3.) By making these bombs every month, we don't have enough time to really hype them up and make them huge and special
4.) Reasons 1 (if he doesn't do the best on Super Tuesday), 2, and 3 will contribute to smaller amounts with each successive moneybomb.
5.) Reason 4 will result in negative media spin ("Looks like Ron Paul's supporters are all out of steam!"), and this will make the next bomb even smaller.

I agree with the "weekly mini-bombs" idea, and I'd like to expand upon it a bit. Ron Paul needs as much money as he can get before Super Tuesday, and we only have two weeks for that - i.e. not enough time for a real moneybomb (but enough time to at least get a little bit more money to him). However, people DO like the focus and team effort of a money-bomb. It makes everyone feel like they're part of something special. I feel like the Paul's Payday idea would be a great compromise if the whole grass roots movement was united in supporting it. If these days are on Fridays, we can call them "Freedom Fri's." ;) You know, just get everyone that can to donate 15, 20, or 25 bucks per week. This kind of predictability will encourage people to take the same small portion of their paycheck and give it to Ron Paul every week. It'll add up quickly, and it won't have the psychological sting of giving away 100, 200, 300, or 2300 (:eek:) all at once...

These smaller, more consistent days (500k a week perhaps?) will help the campaign avoid a cash drought between now and the next money bomb (and this is a critical period). If we all get behind this, it will give us the flexibility to simultaneously schedule and hype up another huge moneybomb in a few months on tax day or something.

We know that Paul's in this up to at least a brokered convention (no matter how much or how little money he has), so it wouldn't kill us to hold off several months for another moneybomb (to ensure it's really big). However, we DO need to get him money beforehand...so yeah, a two-pronged approach of Paul's Payday and a huge moneybomb in a few months will be the way to go if we can get the grass roots unified behind both ideas.

Lou337
01-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Thermometer!

Yom
01-22-2008, 07:43 PM
I tried to post this a couple of hours ago, but it didn't go through:

I think what's happening now is good. When daily numbers are high, people like to donate. Face it, people like being a part of something and being a winner. Today, we're going to pull in over 100k, despite most of it coming after the late night/early am (well after the moneybomb's leftovers). If we can just keep giving this week to keep the daily numbers high, I think it'll encourage others to donate and keep a steady strong flow of money to the campaign. As soon as we announce another big money bomb that everyone saves up for, it'll slow to a trickle until that day, which we can't afford right now. Announce the next bomb day on Feb. 6th, so that we have enough money to campaign on Super Tuesday.

IndieRocker79
01-22-2008, 08:54 PM
I say we set a mini-bomb goal. Today, in the wake of yesterday's big MLK Moneybomb, we broke over $100K. I say we set a goal to hit another $100K tomorrow, and the next day, and so on, all the way until Feb 5th!

Call it the Daily March to Freedom 100K Minibomb or something. *shrug*

Regardless of what it's called or who organizes it, I think it's the best thing we can do right now to ensure a steady flow of funds to the campaign between now and Super Duper Tuesday!

bolognium
01-22-2008, 08:59 PM
a steady flow of cash would definitely be better.. it's too bad the donation system doesn't accept recurring payments.. $20/week or something out of site/out of mind would make it easier to donate.... just like my gym bill I always notice then say "oh yeah, I gotta start hitting the gym".. :D

Paul4Prez
01-22-2008, 10:45 PM
The "everyday" money bomb has been going on since the campaign began. It works, but the money bombs work a lot better. Why? Because they build excitement, get new people to donate, get previous donors to join in again, and get small donors to give more than they might have otherwise.

Very few Ron Paul supporters are "tapped out" -- the average donations for the money bombs have been $75-100, and they've been spaced pretty far apart. That's a lot of money for some people, but only a small fraction of Ron Paul supporters have donated yet at all.

If you're tired of money bombs, or have money to give now, go ahead and give now.

I think the next money bomb needs to be shortly after February 5th. Ron Paul will be assessing the results and deciding whether to stay in the Republican race, drop out, or go third party. A big money bomb brewing will help make sure he stays in, no matter what happens on February 5th.

With tax refunds coming up and possible "economic stimulus" checks on the way, Ron Paul supporters will soon have money in their pockets, even if they are tapped out today.

February 14th -- the LOVE Revolution?

February 18th -- President's Day?

Other mid-February ideas?

Paul4Prez
01-22-2008, 10:47 PM

+1776

francioshouse
01-23-2008, 07:26 AM
A complete list of money bombs (weekly, monthly, and tax related) can be found at Road to $23 million (http://www.geocities.com/francisklinkner/ronpaul.html)