PDA

View Full Version : superbowl ad? just in hardball - 2.7 million

nc4rp
01-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Chris mathews magic number today was 2.7 , for 2.7 million for a 30 sec superbowl ad by a candidate. he kind of left it off as a question will at least one candidate do this?

WilliamC
01-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Would be nice if someone were to do this on behalf of a candidate....

Wishful thinking, I know.

Redcard
01-22-2008, 04:35 PM
They're likely already sold.

cien750hp
01-22-2008, 04:36 PM
*romney buys every single ad during, before, and after the game*

Jobarra
01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Chris mathews magic number today was 2.7 , for 2.7 million for a 30 sec superbowl ad by a candidate. he kind of left it off as a question will at least one candidate do this?
Why do people keep talking about this? We're two weeks away, do you REALLY think they haven't sold every spot?

Dylbro
01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Last I heard there were only 2 slots left for sale and that was several weeks ago.

pacelli
01-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Would be nice if someone were to do this on behalf of a candidate....

Wishful thinking, I know.

Yes, it would. I wonder if that "someone" will give us a third update tonight, considering how much emphasis that "someone" placed on yesterday's moneybomb.

trey4sports
01-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Yes, it would. I wonder if that "someone" will give us a third update tonight, considering how much emphasis that "someone" placed on yesterday's moneybomb.

to much code for me....
are you reffering to the elusive billionare?

nc4rp
01-22-2008, 04:52 PM
so it sounds like SOmeone got a superbowl ad. If not Paul then Romney would be my guess.

Kotin
01-22-2008, 04:55 PM
to much code for me....
are you reffering to the elusive billionare?

indeed he is.

EDIT: i thought political ads at SB are illegal..

Redcard
01-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Here's a hint.

You don't know the price of the superbowl ads until they're already all sold. That way, nobody can come back and go "You charged me too much!"

thegr8drronpaul
01-22-2008, 04:59 PM
If Ron DID get ad time, we might not know it since it'll be televised on fox :(

What's this about the 3-hour pre-superbowl political preview?

ht tp://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/01/fox_adds_politics_to_super_bow.php
broken link

mysticgeek
01-22-2008, 05:00 PM
A super bowl ad would rock!

thegr8drronpaul
01-22-2008, 05:02 PM
If Ron DID get ad time, we might not know it since it'll be televised on fox :(

What's this about the 3-hour pre-superbowl political preview?

ht tp://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/01/fox_adds_politics_to_super_bow.php
broken link

anyone know anything about this? I just came across it to see who is broadcasting the football game.

hueylong
01-22-2008, 05:04 PM
This is crack. There is no way that a Super Bowl ad is a good idea. Highly inefficient.

ninepointfive
01-22-2008, 05:31 PM
This is crack. There is no way that a Super Bowl ad is a good idea. Highly inefficient.

no f-ing way.

are you crazy? most all of America tunes in and watches!

kirkblitz
01-22-2008, 05:37 PM
no f-ing way.

are you crazy? most all of America tunes in and watches!

most of the world does to actually if im not mistaken like a billion people watch it?

Starks
01-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Yeah, but if the ad doesn't translate into votes, we'll be a laughing stock.

Redcard
01-22-2008, 05:40 PM
We don't have an ad, folks, not unless we bought it months ago.

clowns789
01-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Also, keep in mind that people will actually WATCH the commercials during the Super Bowl. ;)

Starks
01-22-2008, 05:42 PM
We can certainly afford an ad, it's just not practical or cost effective.

Soccrmastr
01-22-2008, 05:43 PM
If we put as much money into this as we do the retarded Blimp it might be a possibility

kirkblitz
01-22-2008, 05:46 PM
no point in debating it now, its either been bought by now or it wont be at all. It probably will be a kick ass ad if they are dropping 2.7 ml on the time alone.

vote4ronpauleeze
01-22-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm sorry, I just had to chime in really quick....

For those of you who think that a Super Bowl ad wouldn't be effective, or wouldn't be efficient, then you're absolutely delusional.

This is the grand daddy of all advertising. Many people watch the Super Bowl only to watch the commercials. Instant notoriety results from a Super Bowl ad... a link to his website would result in huge traffic increases.

The word just needs to get out. Ron Paul, unfortunately, is not a household name to the layperson.

But all of this talk is irrelevant if ad space wasn't purchased. However, that would be great if it was.

jdmetz
01-22-2008, 05:59 PM
A superbowl ad could win the election for us *if it is awesome*. If it is a typical campaign ad it would be an embarassing waste of money.

luvfreedom
01-22-2008, 06:18 PM
anyone know anything about this? I just came across it to see who is broadcasting the football game.

page not found

Johncjackson
01-22-2008, 06:20 PM
I read months ago they were more around $3.8 mil and all ads were sold.

If there are any, it is top secret. I read an article today speculating if any candidates had and it was basically left as no one knows and no one will know until the SB, but they doubt it.

Johncjackson
01-22-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm sorry, I just had to chime in really quick....

For those of you who think that a Super Bowl ad wouldn't be effective, or wouldn't be efficient, then you're absolutely delusional.

This is the grand daddy of all advertising. Many people watch the Super Bowl only to watch the commercials. Instant notoriety results from a Super Bowl ad... a link to his website would result in huge traffic increases.

The word just needs to get out. Ron Paul, unfortunately, is not a household name to the layperson.

But all of this talk is irrelevant if ad space wasn't purchased. However, that would be great if it was.

It worked for goDaddy. It didn't work for a lot of others. I know people who bought them and went out of business not long after.

A LOT of advertising is NOT about selling anything or being efficient. A lot is "look at me. Whooo hoo, we have a lot of money to hire such and such ad agency to do this and that and if it doesn't work- oh well we are a multi billion $$ company and at least people will talk."

Generally if you have a couple billion dollars, a 3 million dollar ad isn't a big deal. If all you have is 3 million and you spend it all one 1 ad- usually not a good use of resources.

Joseph Hart
01-22-2008, 06:26 PM
It worked for goDaddy. It didn't work for a lot of others. I know people who bought them and went out of business not long after.

A LOT of advertising is NOT about selling anything or being efficient. A lot is "look at me. Whooo hoo, we have a lot of money to hire such and such ad agency to do this and that and if it doesn't work- oh well we are a multi billion $$ company and at least people will talk."

Generally if you have a couple billion dollars, a 3 million dollar ad isn't a big deal. If all you have is 3 million and you spend it all one 1 ad- usually not a good use of resources.

So Godaddy did well...
Ron Paul Girl needs to do some push ups and jumping jacks to get people to vote for him. GREAT!

devil21
01-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Matthews actually said that there was word that 2 campaigns were considering Super Bowl ads. I wouldnt be surprised if RP is one of them since he can't get attention unless he pays for it. I think it would be a great opportunity to get the attention of A LOT of people. I just hope the spot is a realllllly good one. 30 seconds isn't much time.

Exponent
01-22-2008, 06:38 PM
EDIT: i thought political ads at SB are illegal..
From all claims to this effect, I always got the impression that political ads were refused by the people involved with the event (the TV network, NFL, et cetera). Not that it was disallowed by the government. That'd be a weird law anyway, and I doubt it could get even close to being passed currently.

But even then, I've never seen (or went looking for) any confirmation of any of this.

Rob T
01-22-2008, 09:22 PM
There is no "law" that says you can't run political ads during the SB. It's strictly the choice of the network selling the airtime - I don't even think the NFL gets a say.

With the timing of the SB this year right before Super Tuesday, I don't think RP has a choice but to spend the money and run an ad - the potential exposure to nearly 100 million americans is just too great an opportunity to pass up. I read on Bob Parson's blog that they don't even have an ad approved yet, so I don't think it's too late to get in the game - besides, I'm pretty certain the campaign is already in the game if they were going to do it. We donated $20m in Q4, but latest reports are that he has $8m in the bank. I've not seen any reports that suggest he has spent over $1m on any of the early state primaries, so by my math, there is either a couple of million missing or there have been some large ad buys (i.e. Superbowl) that we don't know about yet.

Nailhead
01-22-2008, 09:25 PM
make sure to watch the superbowl

my inside sources say campaign bought an ad and have not made a press release about it

jk...would be cool though if they did

RPTXState
01-22-2008, 09:30 PM
They (the organizers of the SB) will not sell political ads. They haven't before, and they won't this year.

SO TALK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE. WHY IS THERE A SB THREAD EVERY DAY IT SEEMS!

WilliamC
01-23-2008, 05:52 AM

After a third update with no concrete proof I will totally disbelieve the rumor.

One to announce, two to hype, but three better reveal or there is no real deal.

I still don't deny the overall encouraging tone of the rumors though, so even if it's a false one it is a net positive.

newmedia4ron
01-23-2008, 06:13 AM
unless you have the money to pay for the ad yourself STFU
worst idea ever
has the same cost effectiveness of putting a Ron Paul tattoo on my ass

shrapnel88
01-23-2008, 06:14 AM
almost $100,000 per second!