PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to Fred Thompson Supporters

HazardPerry
01-22-2008, 03:07 PM
An Open Letter to Fred Thompson Supporters

In a Republican party where everybody seems to have divergent opinions, it is sometimes hard to stand back and appreciate the similarities, not only between the candidates, but between a candidate and his party's platform. For many Republicans, and most true conservatives, this cycle has been a disappointing, if not alarming one. It comes on the heels of two terms of expansionist foreign adventurism, deficit spending, wasteful government programs, gross federal mismanagement, and repeated scandal. That the very nature of conservatism has become a prime issue to Republicans is indicative of the fractures in the party and its electorate.

If you take away the names and the (R)'s and the rhetoric and look, side-by-side at the records of the Republican candidates, some trends become apparent. The majority of Republicans seeking nomination do not set any sort of conservative standard in their projects or voting record. Some could even be classified objectively as liberal! Mass amnesty for illegal immigrants? No Child Left Behind? Raising taxes 47 percent? One called Barry Goldwater an "incompetent, confused, and sometimes idiotic man." The list goes on, but the party will not, if candidates think that a hawkish foreign policy and some lip service to small government are the only credentials necessary for success.

The Ron Paul community has always had a bit of a soft spot for Fred Thompson. He isn't taken to cackling at ideas of small government, he isn't keen on snap judgments, and he cares about the core of the Republican party. When our candidate was excluded from a Fox Debate, Fred brought up many of the same issues that Ron may have raised. While it is a competition, we always felt glad that at least somebody else understood the principles of conservatism, and the important thing was that the message was being heard. But now Fred Thompson has left us, after rough showings in states that wear their philosophy on their sleeves until it comes time to actually vote. This is disheartening, because the future of our party and of the very word 'conservative,' we feel, has now been winnowed down to one last candidate.

We need a coalition of thinkers, of people who can look past the rhetoric, see beyond the posturing. We need conservatives in mind and spirit. This is our party, and it is a confused one. But we must never confuse our principles, and in that refusal, we can light the way to victory and a restoration of real values in government.

Will you join us?

Fred Thompson on the issues:
http://www.fred08.com/Principles/PrinciplesSummary.aspx?View=OnTheIssues
Ron Paul on the issues:
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues

trout007
01-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Foreign Policy:

I know many Fred supporters don't like Ron Paul's foreign policy. I can only ask you to imagine what will happen if Ron Paul becomes president. He will bring all of the troops home. That is over 1/2 million troops that will be well rested and ready for action. This will be a HUGE deterent to Iran. Iran is now acting bold because they know we don't have the man power to do anything about it. With a Ron Paul foreign policy the military will be in a stronger position if we need to use them. Plus with our troops out of their backyard they will be more likely to calm down.

Also we can use those troops to help guard the coast, ports, and borders. And think of all the money we can save. Why spend trillions to defend South Korea, Japan, and Europe. Don't you think they have enough money on their own?

RPinUptownChi
01-22-2008, 06:00 PM
If any Fred supporters are reading this, I hope you folks just check out what Ron Paul is all about and feel our zeal for many of the same principles that Fred stood for like small government and 2nd amendment rights. We'd love to have you and please engage in the debate with us, we're all up for it...

Paul4Prez
01-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Here's my case for Fred Thompson supporters to switch to Ron Paul:

http://paul4prez.blogspot.com/2008/01/fred-thompson-supporters-should-vote.html

An excerpt:

Why Ron Paul? Fred Thompson was running on a platform featuring limited government, constitutional federalism, and a realistic appraisal of America's looming fiscal crisis. The only other candidate taking a similarly serious approach to those issues is Ron Paul.

b_r_y_a_n
01-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Here's Fred's official announcement. Register with the site and *kindly* refer the Fred supporters to these threads.

http://fredfile.fred08.com/blog/2008/a-statement-from-fred-thompson/

PepperdotNet
01-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Well every time RP's name comes up over there whoever dared mention him is attacked for being a "looney vulture" or some such. Be careful. They may share our views if they think about it but right now they're hurt and angry.

TreeOfLiberty
01-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Well every time RP's name comes up over there whoever dared mention him is attacked for being a "looney vulture" or some such. Be careful. They may share our views if they think about it but right now they're hurt and angry.

The timing wasn't right. And there were a few of you sensible guys that came over and got trounced on. All of us were hurt and angry. We didn't want to even have to consider the thought of looking for another candidate to get behind. And there were a couple of Trolls in there claiming to be RP supporters that were not doing the good Dr. or his supporters any good.

I hadn't considered even looking into Dr. Paul as a candidate for me until I heard his interview with Glenn Beck this morning, and I found myself agreeing with everything he had to say. So I decided I would come over and check it out.

Please don't judge the Fredheads too harshly for their rancor yesterday. We were all hurt and angry yesterday.

Alopederii
01-24-2008, 12:00 PM
The timing wasn't right. And there were a few of you sensible guys that came over and got trounced on. All of us were hurt and angry. We didn't want to even have to consider the thought of looking for another candidate to get behind. And there were a couple of Trolls in there claiming to be RP supporters that were not doing the good Dr. or his supporters any good.

I hadn't considered even looking into Dr. Paul as a candidate for me until I heard his interview with Glenn Beck this morning, and I found myself agreeing with everything he had to say. So I decided I would come over and check it out.

Please don't judge the Fredheads too harshly for their rancor yesterday. We were all hurt and angry yesterday.

Welcome! :)

I hope you have a chance to watch the debate this evening.

mari101
01-24-2008, 01:54 PM

I'm a Fredhead, and I can tell you I was really, really sad the day he pulled from the race. I was big on Fred, involved with his campaign, and believed him to be the only real conservative. And I still hate that he dropped.

However, I'm the sister of an avid Ron Paul supporter (and a member here). She's directed me to articles, this forum, and other things in the last few days. I have to admit, I've read some very informative persuasive things. I've forwarded those links to some of my Fredhead friends. I'm almost swaying over to Paul, but I've got some more research to do before I dive head in.

Janet0116
01-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Hiya sis! :)

Trigonx
01-24-2008, 04:19 PM
hehe welcome everyone :)

Noleader
01-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Welcome new folks! Always happy to have more people interested in Dr. Paul.

MooCowzRock
01-24-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm a Fredhead, and I can tell you I was really, really sad the day he pulled from the race. I was big on Fred, involved with his campaign, and believed him to be the only real conservative. And I still hate that he dropped.

However, I'm the sister of an avid Ron Paul supporter (and a member here). She's directed me to articles, this forum, and other things in the last few days. I have to admit, I've read some very informative persuasive things. I've forwarded those links to some of my Fredhead friends. I'm almost swaying over to Paul, but I've got some more research to do before I dive head in.

If you supported Thompson 100%, then you'll find you will agree with almost everything RP stands for...the only thing I suggest you look into are foreign policy differences and similarities. Thats been the only real difference between their views that many have been hesitant on. After that, though, there really isnt a single other fiscal conservative running...

But good luck, and I hope you decide to join us and help out!

Paul Revered
01-24-2008, 08:42 PM
I posted the OP on MySpace.

merrimac
01-27-2008, 03:07 AM
I think the Ron Paul supporters who watched the results when the state that proclaims itself the "Live Free or Die State" had its primary can sort of relate to Fred's supporters.

But I gotta give the FredHeads thinking of joing a fair warning:

we're just a bunch of conspiracy theorists, 9/11 truthers, brothel owners :rolleyes: hmmm, what else? :rolleyes: white supremacists (don't know how that one got there), atheists, religious nuts, Constitutional nuts, nuts of all kind, rebels, anarchists, freaks, and a few normal people too. :)

If you FredHeads want to add your names to the list, you're certainly welcome to because the more the marrier. :D

Welcome.

pickdog
01-27-2008, 05:13 AM

welcome and God Bless! Dr. Ron and Fred are/were the only real conservatives running in the GOP race. To be honest, Fred was my 2nd choice.

Moobi
01-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Welcome, one and all, Fredheads!

shooter_tx
01-27-2008, 12:17 PM

It sounds like there's a lot of love and respect for federalism in your family. :)

dirtyboots
01-27-2008, 04:17 PM

Even if you decide that RP isn't the candidate for you, it's good to have a co-Patriot in the fight for our freedom.

Welcome aboard. And glad tidings and all that.

scrosnoe
01-27-2008, 06:23 PM
We are middle America and you are all so very welcome here.

We actually welcome all freedom lovers, all people of principle, all limited government Constitutionalist types here. The MSM blackout and power elite are so afraid of us and the growing rEVOLution that it is almost humorous - so welcome all Fredheads to our team.

Please help generate the ideas and spread the word that this is a movement that will change the political landscape forever! We are in this thing together and we will make a difference!! ;)

Blessings all,
Sandie