PDA

View Full Version : But He Can't Win.... Need Help 4 Door 2 Door

libertygrl
01-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Does anyone have a link to an article, post, or flyer about the importance of voting for your principles rather than voting for the odds on favorite candidate?

During my canvassing, I met a woman the other day who said Paul can't win so she was going to vote for Romney. I told her that the field was still wide open and that RP continues to raise money, he's a strict constitutionalist and a true conservative, etc., etc. I could see I was about to lose her so I just ended with- "so, you're pretty much set on voting for Romney then?" She stopped and then made a face that proved to me she clearly was still undecided yet seemed willing to throw her vote away because maybe she feels Romney will win the GOP ! I handed her a slim jim and just suggested to read up on Ron Paul and compare his record to Romney's. She seemed to be in a rush to end things so I told her to have a nice day.

Then today I met a man who liked Ron Paul but because he felt he couldn't win, he wasn't going to vote for him! What is wrong with these people???

It's my intention to send a follow up letter to these people, with something that will reach out to them about the importance of voting for your principles. I'm short on time, so I was hoping someone might have a suggestion or something written up already. Thanks!

ShowMeLiberty
01-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Here is something I made up over the weekend to give to the "he can't win" people. I don't know if it will work, but it can't hurt.

http://files.meetup.com/822679/Ron%20Paul%20CAN%20Win.pdf

dsentell
01-22-2008, 03:25 PM
My new line has been "Do you think Giuliani can win?"

They usually answer "Yes".

Then I respond, "Well in the primaries and caucuses held so far, Ron Paul has received more votes than Giuliani. AND Ron Paul has more money that Rudy. So, why is it you think Giuliani can win but Ron Paul can't???????"

ShowMeLiberty: I love your flier. Should be helpful. Thanks!

RPinUptownChi
01-22-2008, 03:29 PM
I think the key is just getting the literature into as many hands as possible, don't say anything. Then if they ask you, "Hey what is this?" then get into the schpiel.

For going door to door you have to just say hi, get them aware of RP, ask them what 2 issues are most important to them, get the lit in their hand, get a phone number (HUGE!) then say THANK YOU and LEAVE! Make sure they have your number and you have theirs. Update your printed spreadsheet with their phone number and get on to the next house. Do this as many times as possible then you will have follow-up work to do 2 days after. CALL the people and see how they feel! Then update your sheets again and pay special attention to those that are into RP. At this point you have to DROP the folks who aren't into RP!

For the people that are receptive to the message, call them again 2 days before the primary or caucus to ensure they plan to vote/caucus and ENSURE they can get a ride to polling station the day of the vote. If you are able to do so offer them a ride to an early polling place and LOCK THAT VOTE DOWN!

Finally on the day of the primary/caucus try to touch base again with everyone who has been receptive and make sure they get to the polling station...

1) Wide Cast - Hand out Lit, keep individual time down, get personal info to follow up

2) Narrow the Field - Follow up phone calls starting a day or two after handing out your lit. If anyone is hardcore tell them where they can vote early and offer them a ride!

3) Two Days Prior to Vote - Follow up again, BE POLITE but firm and remind people the vote is in two days and see if they need a ride!

4) Day of the Vote - Call everyone from the previous round of calls, make sure they get to vote and thank them for paying attention to Ron Paul and your badgering!

That is my plan anyhow...

shadowhooch
01-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Ron Paul has just finished 2nd in the Nevada primaries and is projected to finish first in OUR state. He has raised more money than any other Republican candidate in the 4th quarter and is well positioned for a victorious February 5th to win the nomination. All it takes is your vote.

Hancock1776
01-22-2008, 03:49 PM
I tend to tell people that if they don't vote for what they really want, how are they ever going to get it? How long will they wait, voting strategically, to finally vote for what they've wanted this whole time?

If you don't ask, you NEVER receive. If you don't vote for a morally pure candidate, you'll never get one.

therealjjj77
01-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Stay very positive and very humbly ask,

"If Ronald Reagan was running this year, would you vote for him even if people said he couldn't win?

When Ronald Reagan ran, that's what people said about him. They said he was "unelectable". But a lot of patriots, like yourself, voted for him anyway, because we should vote on principle and not on what is considered popular by the liberal media. When you look at the candidate's records, there is only one candidate who has thus far not violated the Constitution once. So that makes only one candidate electable. And I hope you can join me and many others in voting for him in this primary election."

AisA1787
01-22-2008, 04:34 PM
i like these flyers: www.manofcommonsense.com

they help fight against the "he can't win" argument, but in more of an indirect way.

WilliamC
01-22-2008, 04:36 PM
"That's funny, the exact same thing was said about Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton during their primaries as well. Look what it got them."

Goldwater Conservative
01-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Even if the candidate you vote for doesn't get the most votes, he will still get delegates because of your vote, and delegates are what matter in a primary election, especially if nobody gets enough delegates before the convention, which is likely to happen this year, the first time since 1940.

rancher89
01-22-2008, 05:13 PM
My sister asked me who I was going to vote for since Ron Paul wasn't going to win, I came back with "How do you know he won't win? It's not over til the Fat Lady sings." I followed with I'm never going to vote for worse or worser again, I'm going to vote my conscience. Thanks for the pdf on undecideds, I may use that!

ryvin1
01-22-2008, 05:18 PM
I like to say something like, we go to great lengths researching when we buy a house or a car, and this choice is something I believe is equally important. Please go to each candidate's website and read how they plan to address the issues, and find the one that you believe makes the most sense to you, and best represents you. Check the candidates past voting record to see if they are saying things different now then how they have voted in the past. History more then likely repeats it self with a person's actions then it will follow the lip service that is played to try to win someone's vote.

Vote for the person you believe in, no matter what others tell you. This is where many people try to beat the system and be "smart", but really end up playing into someone's else hands because they abandon what they truly believe, and validate things they don't believe. If for some reason the person you choose doesn't get the nomination, your vote of your beliefs still plays an important role. Who does get the nomination from either party will give those ideas merit if they want to get your vote for president, and if enough people stand for their beliefs even if it's not the majority, they will take notice and those ideas will become topics of debate, because they want your vote. When you vote for someone you are validating their position and ideas, please don't back someone because you don't like someone else, there is no memo field on your vote that lets the person you voted for know you only did it because you don't like the other person and thought he was only person with a chance to beat the candidate you don't like. They will just think they must be right because they got your vote.

Many people believe when they vote for the president their vote doesn't matter. During the primaries it actually does. Please research, use common sense and vote for the representative that best represents you. Own your vote.

WRellim
01-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Does anyone have a link to an article, post, or flyer about the importance of voting for your principles rather than voting for the odds on favorite candidate?

During my canvassing, I met a woman the other day who said Paul can't win so she was going to vote for Romney. I told her that the field was still wide open and that RP continues to raise money, he's a strict constitutionalist and a true conservative, etc., etc. I could see I was about to lose her so I just ended with- "so, you're pretty much set on voting for Romney then?" She stopped and then made a face that proved to me she clearly was still undecided yet seemed willing to throw her vote away because maybe she feels Romney will win the GOP ! I handed her a slim jim and just suggested to read up on Ron Paul and compare his record to Romney's. She seemed to be in a rush to end things so I told her to have a nice day.

Then today I met a man who liked Ron Paul but because he felt he couldn't win, he wasn't going to vote for him! What is wrong with these people???

It's my intention to send a follow up letter to these people, with something that will reach out to them about the importance of voting for your principles. I'm short on time, so I was hoping someone might have a suggestion or something written up already. Thanks!

The flyers discussed below are SPECIFICALLY designed to address this exact issue -- as well as promote the themes of "Common Sense" and "Peace, Prosperity and Freedom!"

http://www.manofcommonsense.com/
http://www.manofcommonsense.com/CommonSense/images/CS_Banner_400-70.png (http://www.manofcommonsense.com/)

http://www.manofcommonsense.com/CommonSense/images/ManOfCS_ALL_R10_P1_170wDS.png The first -- "Did You STOP Voting?" -- is aimed at the classic "apathetic voter" (the houses you are otherwise going right past when you do standard voter-list canvassing). This ad is SPECIFICALLY designed to use a style of advertising that has been VERY successful over the years.

http://www.manofcommonsense.com/CommonSense/images/ManOfCS_ALL_R10_P2_170wDS.png The second -- "Common Sense -- Accountability" -- is a more "general voter" piece. This ad is uses a similar style of advertising to the first. The SOLID BLACK with the statements at the top is the "stunner" and sets the reader up with the fact that Common Sense = Accountability (and plays to the current environment, whether the voter is a Democrat OR a Republican does NOT matter).

Goal of both flyers is to subtly IMPLANT into people's heads VIRTUALLY ALL that "superficial voters" need to know to make them WANT to vote for Ron Paul, THE candidate of COMMON SENSE.

Versions are available with SPECIFIC Primary dates for the upcoming primaries (NV & SC through end of February) -- with a separate "NO DATE" version for use elsewhere.

Mini-Me
01-22-2008, 06:56 PM
If people are going to vote in the Republican primaries anyway, remind them that voting for anyone BUT Paul is a wasted vote, because nobody else has a hope against the Democrats in the general election. The war is a huge issue to the general public, so the Democrats (even Hillary, just because she's a Democrat and therefore doesn't have the "Bush taint") will easily destroy any other Republican candidate.

Nicketas
01-22-2008, 07:19 PM

Nicketas
01-22-2008, 07:20 PM

libertygrl
01-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions and links everyone. It's a big help.

RonPaulFTW08
01-23-2008, 07:14 PM
I've been given the he can't win response before while canvassing (exact words were "I like him but ...he doesn't have a chance!"). I wish I was more prepared for that. Those flyers are a good idea. On hindsight I should have told the guy something like "If you don't vote for him then you are telling me that I'm walking in the rain without getting paid and handing out these flyers in vain." Instead I just told him that Paul is doing better every day and that he just got 2nd in NV. But he did thank me for coming out and I'm hoping the slim jim will convince him.. He said he'll def vote for Paul if he gets the Repub nomination (duh!).

scrosnoe
01-24-2008, 01:03 AM
this flyer is awesome!

i usually say something like - plenty of time to compromise later, primaries are my chance to vote for a real person of principle - try it you will like it! it is uniquely satisfying.

tastes nothing like the lesser of two evils . . .

dkim68
01-24-2008, 01:46 AM
Remember that lawyers think in terms of winning and losing whether the person they're defending is right or wrong. With voting it should simply be about which candidate is right and which ones are wrong, not who's winning and who's losing. If everyone supported the candidate who was right then he would become the winner. But too many allow the MSM to dictate that choice for them. Choices should not be influenced by who the MSM sees as the "longshot", the one who "can't win", the one who's "trailing in the polls". That's MSM bullshit and if a voter buys into it then they are fools. The bottom line is Ron Paul IS the best candidate to be our next President. There's no question. Voters need to be educated on the facts... and you won't find them relying on MSM.

AbolitionistX
01-24-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm not a precinct leader, but I tell everyone I know about Dr. Paul. I have had success with statements like, "I will never, ever again hold my nose and vote for the lesser of two evils because that only guarantees that evil will win" or "If you continue to vote for the lesser of two evils, you're only encouraging the bastards"... I also carry around my own "slim jims" for this purpose. I started telling people this position and began giving these out during the 1987 campaign. (the first time I heard of and began supporting Dr. Paul)

Printed on card stock is the following:

From: So Long and Thanks for All the Fish, by Douglas Adams (author of A Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

A spaceship has just crashed on Earth and a giant robot emerges

After a long, heart-stopping moment of internal crashes and grumbles of rending machinery, there marched from it, down the ramp, an immense silver robot, a hundred feet tall.

It held up a hand.

"I come in peace," it said, adding after a long moment of further grinding, "take me to your Lizard."

Ford Prefect, of course, had an explanation for this, as he sat with Arthur and watched the non-stop frenetic news reports on the television, none of which had anything to say other than to record that the thing had done this amount of damage which was valued at that amount of billions of pounds and had killed this totally other number of people, and then say it again, because the robot was doing nothing more than standing there, swaying very slightly, and emitting short incomprehensible error messages.

"It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see ..."

"You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"

"No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."

"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."

"I did," said Ford. "It is."

"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't people get rid of the lizards?"

"It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."

"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"

"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."

"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"

"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?"

"What?"

"I said," said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, "have you got any gin?"

"I'll look. Tell me about the lizards."

Ford shrugged again.

"Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happened to them," he said. "They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it."

"But that's terrible," said Arthur.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you wish to continue in the same pattern of voting for the "lesser lizard", by all means, support the "lesser lizard" that you think can win. If, on the other hand, you would like to get rid of the lizards, make the choice to vote your true beliefs. Your true candidate of choice only has a chance of winning if you vote for them!

Obviously I need to reach more people with that message, but it is amazing to watch the expression on people's faces when the truth of that realization hits them.