PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cuban discusses Paul in GQ article

blakjak
01-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Do you consider yourself libertarian?
Absolutely.

I take it you’re supporting Ron Paul, then.
No. I just don’t think he’s a legitimate candidate at this point in time. It’s interesting and fun to watch the Internet support he gets, and I like conceptually a lot of the things he says, but I wouldn’t vote for him.

Have you watched the debates?
I haven’t. I mean, the concept of a YouTube debate is probably the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard in my life. Snowmen and bearded guys singing questions? That’s the most degrading thing you could do to the presidential process. I will not vote for anybody who issues a response to such a moronic approach to questioning.

So you’re not backing anyone.
Financially, I’ll support anybody who has a valid—even remotely valid—chance to create a third party, because partisanship is killing this country. Politics lately is just calling people names. My production company did this movie about Iraq, Redacted, and Bill O’Reilly and all the right-wingers hated me. But we’d also released a movie called Voices of Iraq, which was about how the occupation has been a net huge positive. That film was promoted heavily by Republicans, and all the Democrats hated me.

full article:
http://men.style.com/gq/features/full?id=content_6279

cuban's stance on politics in general:
http://www.blogmaverick.com/2007/09/03/politics/

spacebetween
01-22-2008, 01:25 PM
So what would legitimize Ron for Mark? That just doesn't make sense to me.

tomveil
01-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Wish it said when the interview was given, that would let us know more.

GodOfThunder
01-22-2008, 01:28 PM
So.... Mark will support the third-party run... and make a TV show for Ron Paul with his billions!

dblee
01-22-2008, 01:28 PM
What is it with america's obsession with 'legitimacy' and 'electability'?

newmedia4ron
01-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Couldn't he "make" Ron a legitimate candidate? You know buy an army of blimps and attack FOX.

dirknb@hotmail.com
01-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Too bad he's not a true Patriot.

dante
01-22-2008, 01:34 PM
I would take it from this that Mark would support RP if RP ran 3rd party?

blakjak
01-22-2008, 01:50 PM
I would take it from this that Mark would support RP if RP ran 3rd party?

On one hand he says he doesn't think Paul is legitimate enough and on the other hand he said he would support any remotely valid 3rd party candidate. Surely Paul is "remotely valid". These statements are bordering on being contradictory.

kushaze
01-22-2008, 01:53 PM
sorry

KookfromChicago
01-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Absolutely.

No. I just don’t think he’s a legitimate candidate at this point in time. It’s interesting and fun to watch the Internet support he gets, and I like conceptually a lot of the things he says, but I wouldn’t vote for him.

I haven’t. I mean, the concept of a YouTube debate is probably the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard in my life. Snowmen and bearded guys singing questions? That’s the most degrading thing you could do to the presidential process. I will not vote for anybody who issues a response to such a moronic approach to questioning.

Financially, I’ll support anybody who has a valid—even remotely valid—chance to create a third party, because partisanship is killing this country. Politics lately is just calling people names. My production company did this movie about Iraq, Redacted, and Bill O’Reilly and all the right-wingers hated me. But we’d also released a movie called Voices of Iraq, which was about how the occupation has been a net huge positive. That film was promoted heavily by Republicans, and all the Democrats hated me.

full article:

Let's put together a plan to reach out to Cuban and see if we can get him in the fold. We need to avoid spamming him via his email, blog or facebook account and draft a respectful message to see if we can get his attention on this. Maybe a web site that acts as sort of a "love letter" from Ron Paul's Grassroots supporters to Mark Cuban.

I see a guy who is like the majority of the american population that just hasn't studied this very closely. If we reach out to him respectfully, explain why Ron Paul is running as a Republican right now we may make an impact. Getting someone like Cuban behind this movement would be HUGE.

slantedview
01-22-2008, 02:00 PM
what a douche. he likes what ron has to say but won't step up to the plate and support him?

that's the kind of crap that hurts this country, not help it. DOING NOTHING is just as bad as supporting the wrong guy.

Goldwater Conservative
01-22-2008, 02:03 PM
On Bill Maher he made the great "point" that Paul is all for the Constitution, but that the Constitution has been amended.

...yes, Mark, and he still champions it.

PaultheSaint
01-22-2008, 02:05 PM
What is it with america's obsession with 'legitimacy' and 'electability'?

IMO it's more about being heard and making a statement regardless, but whatever.

Basilieus
01-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Who gives a flying horses ass what this guy thinks, we should all watch him because he has money? Get the fuck out of here.

angrydragon
01-22-2008, 02:08 PM
He probably hasn't looked into Dr. Paul much.

blakjak
01-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Who gives a flying horses ass what this guy thinks, we should all watch him because he has money?

money = power = influence = votes

DJ RP
01-22-2008, 02:15 PM
I don't know who this guy is but just from that extract he strikes me as kind of stupid. Firstly he thinks iraq is a net positive? That's a pretty hard case to make. Secondly he thinks partisanship is ruining the country yet won't vote for somebody who advocates genuine changes which nobody has talked about for decades because he's not "electable" hahaha

jaybone
01-22-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't think he likes the fact that Dr. Paul is running on the GOP ticket. It sounds like he wants a 3rd party Libertarian candidate to win. He hates the two party system.

Many people who consider themselves "Big L" libertarians see Ron's run on the GOP ticket as a cop-out and do not support him. I was briefly in this camp, then I realized that just because we do not like the game does not mean we shouldn't play.

I was active in the Badnarik campaign, and just getting him into ANY debate was a monumental task. Ron is right, third party candidates face a steep uphill battle, just to gain a foothold.

I would love to see Ron win the GOP nod, but I would also be very happy if he came home to the Libertarian Party, somehow I think getting the message out won't be as difficult as it was in '04 :)

wfd40
01-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Let's put together a plan to reach out to Cuban and see if we can get him in the fold. We need to avoid spamming him via his email, blog or facebook account and draft a respectful message to see if we can get his attention on this. Maybe a web site that acts as sort of a "love letter" from Ron Paul's Grassroots supporters to Mark Cuban.

I see a guy who is like the majority of the american population that just hasn't studied this very closely. If we reach out to him respectfully, explain why Ron Paul is running as a Republican right now we may make an impact. Getting someone like Cuban behind this movement would be HUGE.

www.blogmaverick.com

MESSAGE BOMB

:)

tommyzDad
01-22-2008, 02:33 PM
So what would legitimize Ron for Mark? That just doesn't make sense to me.

+1.

This isn't a popularity contest, Mark. FFS! :mad:

TonySutton
01-22-2008, 02:38 PM
What is his legal name. I do not see any donations by him at all...

RPsupporterAtHeart
01-22-2008, 02:39 PM
wait. How long ago did the actual interview take place?

dirknb@hotmail.com
01-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Many people who consider themselves "Big L" libertarians see Ron's run on the GOP ticket as a cop-out and do not support him. I was briefly in this camp, then I realized that just because we do not like the game does not mean we shouldn't play.

I was active in the Badnarik campaign, and just getting him into ANY debate was a monumental task. Ron is right, third party candidates face a steep uphill battle, just to gain a foothold.

I would love to see Ron win the GOP nod, but I would also be very happy if he came home to the Libertarian Party, somehow I think getting the message out won't be as difficult as it was in '04 :)

Exactly. I'm no huge fan of the Republican party either, but it's the current vehicle. We have to adapt however is necessary if we're going to win the game.

humanic
01-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Do we have a date for this interview?

OrbitalGun
01-22-2008, 04:38 PM
what a douche. he likes what ron has to say but won't step up to the plate and support him?

that's the kind of crap that hurts this country, not help it. DOING NOTHING is just as bad as supporting the wrong guy.

+911 sh!t or get off the pot Cuban

benhaskins
01-22-2008, 04:46 PM
he is worthless

Devil_rules_in_extremes
01-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Absolutely.

full article:

What a jackass...

I'm sorry, but if you base your vote on "Electability" your a moron. The only thing that should matter is the issues, and the character of the candidate.

Xonox
01-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I think he'd support RP for a third party run, but just not for the GOP nomination.

xerigen
01-22-2008, 05:07 PM
My email to Mark Cuban:

"I take it you’re supporting Ron Paul, then.
"No. I just don’t think he’s a legitimate candidate at this point in time." - Mark Cuban

So when you took over the Mavericks, you rooted for the other team because they weren't a legitimate team yet? That makes you a bandwagon fan. I'm ashamed of you, Mark. I thought you were better than that. Do what the media tells you like a good sheep."

Lois
01-22-2008, 05:09 PM
I don't know anything about sports, so I don't know who this guy is -- but he sounds like a real jerk to me. :rolleyes:

blakjak
01-22-2008, 05:14 PM
edit: added cuban's blog entry over polictics to original post

read it and tell me who the perfect candidate is for him: http://www.blogmaverick.com/2007/09/03/politics/

tsetsefly
01-22-2008, 05:14 PM
it seems he does not understand how hard it it to run as a 3rd party...

jacmicwag
01-22-2008, 05:15 PM
So much for rich libertarians. What exactly is this guy looking for?

SimpleName
01-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Cuban needs to stop thinking by party. He is one very ignorant libertarian apparently. He needs to worry about the issues and the huge mess this country has gotten itself into. To talk about legitmacy and electability (ridiculous in the first place) is ass backwards. Ron Paul is one of the most electible and legitimate candidates with a libertarian base ever

RonRules
01-22-2008, 05:55 PM
What is his legal name. I do not see any donations by him at all...

BTW, the're nothing Cuban about Mark Cuban. His family's last name was Chabenisky, Jewish immigrants.

He used to make money sending out chain letters as a kid. I'm surprised he's not a spammer today.