PDA

View Full Version : Why You Too Should Cancel Cable

tsopranos
01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm canceling my cable tonight! Check out this wonderful article...thank me later.

http://www.columbia.edu/~ip71/w116/2006/03/why-you-too-should-cancel-cable.html

tsopranos
01-22-2008, 12:51 PM
The second part of this blog entry hit it home...

I conclude that television is an extremely effective and powerful way of controlling, manipulating, and distracting the American people. It works in three very basic and obvious ways:

1. Making you the passive observer of current events.

When you watch television, you become a passive observer of news. When this happens, your cognitive processes slow down, and you absorb information before you have a chance to process it. In this way, television makes your brain a soft and squishy sponge, perfectly willing to internalize all the misinformation that is propagated to further somebody else's agenda. When you become an active seeker of news (as you are when you browse websites, read newspapers, or talk to other people) you are more likely to question and analyze the content before believing that it is true. If your co-worker tells you that the guy in the next cubicle is stashing weapons of mass destruction under his desk, you are likely to ask for proof; but if a TV news anchor tells you something similar, you will probably go on thinking that it is true.

2. Making you a consumerist whore.

Even if you turn your set off during commercials, you are still constantly being bombarded with advertisements on a very subconscious level. You can't buy the things that you need to make your life better, but television is extremely successful at convincing you of the exact opposite. Your husband will not love you more if you cut your hair like Jennifer Anniston, there is no difference between a Hyundai and a Mercedes, and there is nothing in the world that will make you look like an underwear model.

3. Distracting you from the real problems.

Television is able to distract you from the real problems (in your life, in the world) by either presenting you with irrelevant and superficial problems that will divert your focus, or by providing enough instant gratification to make you forget about your drab and wretched life. Someone on television tells you that two guys in San Francisco want to get married, and you are so distracted by this attack on your ideals that you conveniently forget that there is a war, in which many innocent people are dying. Or you spend your evenings watching attractive people doing exciting things, and this escapism prevents you from facing reality and making positive changes in your own life. (By the way, there is nothing wrong with seeking entertainment, but television creates a routine of dependency that inadvertently results in a state of false complacency).

Finally, here are some really stupid things that people tell me when I suggest that they too break free, and cancel their cable TV service.

How will my son ever make it to the major leagues if he can't watch pro ball games on TV?

This is quite asinine. From an entirely statistical point of view, I can say with relative certainty that your son will never make it to the majors. But besides that, Joe Dimaggio never watched baseball on TV. Neither did Sandy Koufax. They went out and PLAYED baseball. If you plop your kids in front of the TV for 3 hours every evening, you might make them overweight and dimwitted like baseball players, but you certainly won't increase their chances of becoming professional athletes. If you really want to give your kids a chance at a career in sports, make sure that physical activity is an integral part of their (and your) daily routine. Take them to a real baseball game instead, at least that way you can all get some fresh air.

I watch CNN. Where will I get my news? How will I know what is going on in the world?

This is probably the stupidest thing that anyone has ever said to me. You will certainly not know what's going on in the world by watching CNN, or any of the other major news channels. Nor will you become more informed about the world and people around you by watching local news. This is supposed to be the information age, so why are so many people still relying on such a primitive source of news? You can probably get more relevant content from reading Talking Points Memo for 5 minutes than you can from watching CNN all day long. And if you wish to stay away from such blatantly partisan sites, you can always turn to the more traditional AP outlets on the web. Even reading CNN.com is better than watching it on television, because it give you a chance to go back and take note when the reported information is stupid or just plain wrong. Television news never gives you enough time to have a “wait a minute there” moment.

What will I talk to my coworkers about the next day? They all gather and chat about American Idol, and I don't want to be a social outcast.

Well, your coworkers are obviously idiots. And, instead of encouraging this sort of behavior, you should make an effort to change the culture. Have confidence in your decision. This is just like high school. When you do something odd, do it with unwavering self-assurance, and everyone else will follow your trend.

My hope is that there will be a massive social and cultural move away from television. The benefits of such a change will be tremendous. We will become smarter, more informed, and less prone to commercial manipulation. We will not stand for lies and misinformation from our government, we will take action and effect change. We will eliminate credit card debt, and pay off our mortgages faster. Our kids will eat more fruit and do better on standardized exams. We will become global participants, and won't need to tell foreigners that we are Canadian when we visit their countries. We will use less oil. We will get to work on time. We will have better relationships with friends and family. We will make better music, write better books, and develop better software. Just for starters. Pardon my naïve optimism, but I really think that remarkable progress can be achieved very quickly, if you too decide to cancel cable.

Jae0
01-22-2008, 12:51 PM
I went without cable for 5 years and didnt miss it. Only reason I have it now is because its free.

s35wf
01-22-2008, 12:56 PM
I have not had cable for over a year now. Get my news online :)

hairball
01-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Old news, jeez.

Got cable, but do not watch it much, just some cool animal and history shows, but why watch too much TV, or video, when there are books to be read. That is why the constant posting of Youtube stuff is so laughable.

If you read an old book, The Hidden Persuaders, you would be familiar with the age old attempt to find ways to control people. Like hypnosis, only works on the weak minded and suggestable. If you have a mind, you can discern anything they try to 'control' you with. If you are worried about being 'controlled' by cable, TV, whatever, it is really more revealing about you than the instrument.

Lymeade-Lady
01-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Loved the article. We don't have cable or an antennae. And LOVE it! But I decided to blog about that article. Very inspiring. It makes me want to get other people on board.

josephadel_3
04-17-2008, 11:22 PM
I will be cancelling cable shortly. Actually just decided before I read the article. I'm going to be online just as much, but like the article said, at least this is active. I am going to get netflix, and that's it. Can't get away from advertisements in movies either. Just watched Juno and it had obvious SunnyD, tictac, and hotpocket ads.

The Ron Paul revolution is what caused me to hate cable, and this hate started with the media blackout and obvious censorship of Ron Paul. Hopefully, I will read more, as there are tons of books I am dying to read.

Great article

FrankRep
04-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Two years, No cable!

arcooke
04-17-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm 26.. I've had cable/satellite 2 years of my life. I don't need it.. I don't watch TV at all. The only time I ever watch anything on TV is when I go to someone else's house.. and usually it ends up being the Discovery Channel or History Channel (both of which I love incidentally)

So I guess you could say I'm 24 years without cable. If a-la-carte cable was available, I'd grab those 2 channels and call it a day.

Conza88
04-17-2008, 11:57 PM
20yrs old. Had cable for like 5 years. Ron Paul cured my addiction. I detest absolute shit, i.e American Idol, Big Brother, So you think you can dance.. ALL that mind numbing fken stupidity perpetuating frivolous hogwash!

You're actually better off starting at the wall. Technically, you're going to get bored within minutes and start using your imagination. Then you're going to get bored or that, and start thinking about things, problems etc. Proactive, not passive processes.

Anyway, I hardly watch tv at ALL anymore. Thanks Ron Paul.. my need for games is dead in the water aswell. Used to be always be playing a game on the side of RL, kind of way to escape. Now - i have teh exact same addiction for the Ron Paul campaign; except (having ordered 30 books in the process) I'm like addicted to learning about liberty and economics...

WTF is wrong with me!??! :D

Dustancostine
04-18-2008, 12:44 AM
except (having ordered 30 books in the process) I'm like addicted to learning about liberty and economics...

WTF is wrong with me!??! :D

Too true. :D

acptulsa
04-18-2008, 06:47 AM
I am not going to cancel my cable!!

I would have to sign up for it first. No way!

Cinderella
04-18-2008, 06:57 AM
If you have a mind, you can discern anything they try to 'control' you with. If you are worried about being 'controlled' by cable, TV, whatever, it is really more revealing about you than the instrument.

QFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! agree 100%

i have cable and i dont plan on getting rid of it...im still aware of whats going on in the world etc...i dont let my tv control me or what i believe....

dirknb@hotmail.com
04-18-2008, 06:59 AM
I didn't have cable for about 7 years and hooked it up again last summer to watch the debates and Ron Paul interviews. Will probably disconnect it again soon.

unklejman
04-18-2008, 09:52 AM
I haven't gotten cable/satellite since I moved out from my parents(5 years). I'll rent dvd's for good shows, or have my parents record on their dvr, and the internet makes up the rest of my entertainment

A rope leash
04-18-2008, 10:09 AM
I used to work in the satellite TV and cable business, before drug testing became the norm. I understood years ago what TV is really all about...it's a complete brainfuck. When the cable goes out, the workers do spend quite a lot of time with addicts in withdrawal. If it is down for very long, it's not rare that workers are confronted while they are on the pole, and treated to a tongue lashing, usually over nothing, stupid complaints over one or two channels that don't come in real good. This never happens to the electric company.

Reception is really what most people pay for. The content is secondary...we've all heard the adage: "57 channels and nothing's on". That is absolutely by design. The last thing the corporate stucture wants is a well educated, sophisticated consumer base. They want you stupid, and TV combined with a shit education system is doing the job wonderfully.

When I disconnected the satellite, I got into books and the internet (which is also an addiction). The kid's grades went from Cs and Ds to As and Bs. There's always the video store and Netflix...money much better spent.

All in all, television is a waste of a wonderful invention. We could be the greatest society the world has ever seen, much greater than we are now, if we would set aside a few channels for the teaching of science and language. But no, everything, including higher education, has to be a commodity that is bought and sold. As for the education that is available on the TV, well, it's all biased and slanted to the capitalist point of view, and never gets any deeper than the superficials. There should be a disclaimer on the History Channel, explaining how history is not absolute, and is subject to manipulation...but they go on like they are presenting history as it actually happened, instead of history as it was written by the various empires. Then they have "UFO week", and we are supposed to take that seriously!

raystone
04-18-2008, 10:17 AM
1 year, no cable, loving life. Kids are way ahead of their peers in their classes.

Do Netflix, including Law and Order series, so wife can get her fix

acptulsa
04-18-2008, 10:29 AM
With me it's a matter of principle. I just can't bring myself to pay for 99% $#!+. Any paying for commercials...?!

Primbs
04-18-2008, 10:34 AM
I do the internet and talk radio and newspapers and magazines.

josephadel_3
04-18-2008, 11:32 AM
With me it's a matter of principle. I just can't bring myself to pay for 99% $#!+. Any paying for commercials...?!

Exactly. 50 dollars a month isn't enough. They have to drill adds into your brain while you wait to see some somewhat famous celebrity embarass themself dancing with an attractive dance instructor. Then you turn to see what's on cable and all you get is that horrible tv guide channel, hypnotizing you to continue watching. . .

LEK
04-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Timely article for me.

We are moving soon to property that does not have cable access. I honestly could care less EXCEPT I don't know what to do about internet service. No DSL there either.

I guess it's satellite or phone cards. Does anyone have any experience with either of these methods? Does the phone card have limited minutes each month?

Any suggestions guys [for rural internet source]?

Thanks...

josephadel_3
04-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Timely article for me.

We are moving soon to property that does not have cable access. I honestly could care less EXCEPT I don't know what to do about internet service. No DSL there either.

I guess it's satellite or phone cards. Does anyone have any experience with either of these methods? Does the phone card have limited minutes each month?

Thanks...

I'm pretty sure your only option is satellite or dial up internet. Satellite has decent download speeds and crappy upload speeds. Dial up sucks. Maybe fiber optic is available in rural areas...I have no idea about that one.

raystone
04-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Timely article for me.

Thanks...

my hi tech in laws are using a PC card w antenna that inserts into laptop to get very good speeds (near broadband). need cell phone data plan at $50/month ? unlimited access

christagious
04-18-2008, 03:14 PM
I went without cable for 5 years and didnt miss it. Only reason I have it now is because its free.

You have my attention...

Gadsden Flag
04-18-2008, 04:15 PM
I find NPR and BBC radio to be much better news sources than cable news, even though they are state controlled.

TV is just crap. I don't even own a TV anymore.

familydog
04-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Are we safe if we have a dish instead of cable? :p

Can't find much to disagree with in that article there. Thanks for the tid.

nate895
04-18-2008, 05:14 PM
No thank you.

I am going to sit on my ass and watch TV for however many hours I watch it and don't care what anyone thinks.

A rope leash
04-18-2008, 05:48 PM
@LEK...

I use a VSAT for internet. It's two way satellite. Mine is part of a corporate system, but you can get one through Hughes Network or WildBlue, just to name two. I think Starband might still be around, too.

Mine has been very dependable, but it's not as fast as cable or DSL. The starting cost can be a bit off-putting, and the monthly cost is rather high, as well...but if you want to live in the countryside, your options are very limited. Telephone connections are intolerably slow, and cell service is iffy.

Some rural communities have line-of-site microwave services, too. I hear they work fine.

Good luck.

forsmant
04-18-2008, 06:00 PM
My kids love to watch Sponge Bob and I like Dirty Jobs and How Things Are Made on the Discovery Channel. There is something about watching a factory assembly line, mechanical or human, that makes me proud.

nate895
04-18-2008, 06:11 PM
My kids love to watch Sponge Bob

Given your avatar, don't you like it too?

forsmant
04-18-2008, 06:19 PM
That was an excuse to have the avatar.

amy31416
04-18-2008, 06:55 PM
My kids love to watch Sponge Bob and I like Dirty Jobs and How Things Are Made on the Discovery Channel. There is something about watching a factory assembly line, mechanical or human, that makes me proud.

I love "How Things Are Made" and watch it every chance I get, but I don't have cable, I'll have to see if there's an internet source.

entropy
04-19-2008, 07:25 AM
I have cable and I love it. Great stations like history channel, science channel, discovery channel, military channel. Also HBO produces the absolutely best series.....Rome, Sopranos to name 2. If you have never seen Rome and you are a history buff like myself I highly recommend it.

I laugh at the thinly veiled attempts the commercials make to influence my opinions or decisions. It really is laughable how simplistic their provocations are....the worst part is most people are stupid enough to be influenced by them.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
04-19-2008, 08:35 AM
The second part of this blog entry hit it home...

I conclude that television is an extremely effective and powerful way of controlling, manipulating, and distracting the American people. It works in three very basic and obvious ways:

1. Making you the passive observer of current events.

When you watch television, you become a passive observer of news. When this happens, your cognitive processes slow down, and you absorb information before you have a chance to process it. In this way, television makes your brain a soft and squishy sponge, perfectly willing to internalize all the misinformation that is propagated to further somebody else's agenda. When you become an active seeker of news (as you are when you browse websites, read newspapers, or talk to other people) you are more likely to question and analyze the content before believing that it is true. If your co-worker tells you that the guy in the next cubicle is stashing weapons of mass destruction under his desk, you are likely to ask for proof; but if a TV news anchor tells you something similar, you will probably go on thinking that it is true.

2. Making you a consumerist whore.

Even if you turn your set off during commercials, you are still constantly being bombarded with advertisements on a very subconscious level. You can't buy the things that you need to make your life better, but television is extremely successful at convincing you of the exact opposite. Your husband will not love you more if you cut your hair like Jennifer Anniston, there is no difference between a Hyundai and a Mercedes, and there is nothing in the world that will make you look like an underwear model.

3. Distracting you from the real problems.

Television is able to distract you from the real problems (in your life, in the world) by either presenting you with irrelevant and superficial problems that will divert your focus, or by providing enough instant gratification to make you forget about your drab and wretched life. Someone on television tells you that two guys in San Francisco want to get married, and you are so distracted by this attack on your ideals that you conveniently forget that there is a war, in which many innocent people are dying. Or you spend your evenings watching attractive people doing exciting things, and this escapism prevents you from facing reality and making positive changes in your own life. (By the way, there is nothing wrong with seeking entertainment, but television creates a routine of dependency that inadvertently results in a state of false complacency).

Finally, here are some really stupid things that people tell me when I suggest that they too break free, and cancel their cable TV service.

How will my son ever make it to the major leagues if he can't watch pro ball games on TV?

This is quite asinine. From an entirely statistical point of view, I can say with relative certainty that your son will never make it to the majors. But besides that, Joe Dimaggio never watched baseball on TV. Neither did Sandy Koufax. They went out and PLAYED baseball. If you plop your kids in front of the TV for 3 hours every evening, you might make them overweight and dimwitted like baseball players, but you certainly won't increase their chances of becoming professional athletes. If you really want to give your kids a chance at a career in sports, make sure that physical activity is an integral part of their (and your) daily routine. Take them to a real baseball game instead, at least that way you can all get some fresh air.

I watch CNN. Where will I get my news? How will I know what is going on in the world?

This is probably the stupidest thing that anyone has ever said to me. You will certainly not know what's going on in the world by watching CNN, or any of the other major news channels. Nor will you become more informed about the world and people around you by watching local news. This is supposed to be the information age, so why are so many people still relying on such a primitive source of news? You can probably get more relevant content from reading Talking Points Memo for 5 minutes than you can from watching CNN all day long. And if you wish to stay away from such blatantly partisan sites, you can always turn to the more traditional AP outlets on the web. Even reading CNN.com is better than watching it on television, because it give you a chance to go back and take note when the reported information is stupid or just plain wrong. Television news never gives you enough time to have a “wait a minute there” moment.

What will I talk to my coworkers about the next day? They all gather and chat about American Idol, and I don't want to be a social outcast.

Well, your coworkers are obviously idiots. And, instead of encouraging this sort of behavior, you should make an effort to change the culture. Have confidence in your decision. This is just like high school. When you do something odd, do it with unwavering self-assurance, and everyone else will follow your trend.

My hope is that there will be a massive social and cultural move away from television. The benefits of such a change will be tremendous. We will become smarter, more informed, and less prone to commercial manipulation. We will not stand for lies and misinformation from our government, we will take action and effect change. We will eliminate credit card debt, and pay off our mortgages faster. Our kids will eat more fruit and do better on standardized exams. We will become global participants, and won't need to tell foreigners that we are Canadian when we visit their countries. We will use less oil. We will get to work on time. We will have better relationships with friends and family. We will make better music, write better books, and develop better software. Just for starters. Pardon my naïve optimism, but I really think that remarkable progress can be achieved very quickly, if you too decide to cancel cable.

There is a massive social and cultural move away from television. It is called the Internet. This is why we have an established Federal media network (the metaphorical whore) supporting a single party made up of Democrats and Republicans (the two old men she is sleeping with). The television networks and newspapers depend on lobbying the Federal government for their survival while the internet network depends on inventiveness.
I spend far more time on the Internet than I do watching television. When watching television, I have become sophisticated in their bias; as, likewise, when reading newspapers, I have become sophisticated by reading blogs in how they create and edit their columns.
I mean, why does television and newspaper still serve us up with their formalities of a finished product? Isn't the gig up?

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
04-19-2008, 09:15 AM
I have cable and I love it. Great stations like history channel, science channel, discovery channel, military channel. Also HBO produces the absolutely best series.....Rome, Sopranos to name 2. If you have never seen Rome and you are a history buff like myself I highly recommend it.

I laugh at the thinly veiled attempts the commercials make to influence my opinions or decisions. It really is laughable how simplistic their provocations are....the worst part is most people are stupid enough to be influenced by them.

The Internet is pushing the established media networks in this nation today by exposing how they produce the finished product of information. As a result, the Internet is threatening the established formats for how traditional media networks market their product.
Like how the record companies reestablished the top ten format in the mid-70s to destroy the market for classic rock to regain control over production of how music is created and edited, the established media today is controlling our political process by concentrating specifically on just the 2 parties.
Consider that the common response given by them as to why they concentrate specifically on the reporting of the 2 political parties is that the public prefers it when having and maintaining a strong 2 party system depends on the equal reporting of all third and independent parties.
The implications about abuse by established media arise because they have become huge corporations who no longer depend on inventiveness as much as lobbying the Federal government for their survival.
So, one can think of established media today as a Federal department while the Federal government as a result has become diluted into a single party.
When congress becomes a single party, they lose incentive to represent the people. As a result, the laws set up by Congress lose their effectiveness while the policies set up by the administration gain in precedent. This results in the perverse tendency for administration policies to supercede congressional laws.
This is the recipe for tyranny.

Pauliana
04-19-2008, 09:18 AM
ah, but I have satellite. :)

satchelmcqueen
04-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Sad to say this but my household (wife) gripes if we dont have dish. We did without dish or any TV for about 2 years and I loved it. The kids and wife were bored. So.... I just wish they would see how it really effects your thought process and how you spend money. TV sucks 90% of the time.