PDA

View Full Version : "Common Sense" flyers - Cheap DIY 'mass media'?

Pete
01-22-2008, 06:20 AM
If EACH ONE OF US were to distribute 1000 copies of this flyer, it would do the campaign a world of good:

http://www.manofcommonsense.com/CommonSense/images/ManOfCS_ALL_R10_P2_slim_CoLbl.png

Downloadable PDFs available at:

http://www.manofcommonsense.com/

Look for posts of WRellim, whose brainchild this appears to be. Thread with background, links, etc., here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=90102

Can we make this viral?

VicVixvi
01-22-2008, 06:41 AM
tag

Pete
01-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Bump.

Does anyone see anything negative about these? I think they hit a lot harder than slimjims.

liberteebell
01-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Excellent! Especially since I've heard so many people, upon understanding Ron Paul, say, "This guy really makes sense!!".

Deborah K
01-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Okay, I like those flyers - EXCEPT - for the "lizard-like" comment. That will work well with college aged people but not older Americans. Other than that, I've just printed off a copy and I'm goin down to Kinko's!

Lord Xar
01-22-2008, 12:29 PM
hmmm I see this on the site:

IMPORTANT NOTE: This type of literature is NOT meant to be used in combination with standard campaign-issued slim-jims.

In fact using slim-jims or other DETAILED literature will often be COUNTER PRODUCTIVE and likely to LOSE a vote that this piece has just won-over. At this LATE DATE in the campaign, most "superficial voters" -- those who have NOT yet made up their minds -- DO NOT WANT all of that additional information (in fact they use detailed information to ELIMINATE candidates from their "short-list" before they play eenie-meenie-miny-moe in the voting booth).

So keep it simple. and use these pieces BY THEMSELVES.

Why? I was gonna use this WITH slimjims and other printouts --- whats the problem with including this OR including the other items WITH this printout.

WRellim
01-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Okay, I like those flyers - EXCEPT - for the "lizard-like" comment. That will work well with college aged people but not older Americans. Other than that, I've just printed off a copy and I'm goin down to Kinko's!

We gave that quite a bit of thought. It is *only* present on the "Did You STOP Voting?" flyer/ad -- which is SPECIFICALLY AIMED at the apathetic voter -- those people who probably ALREADY think of ALL politicians as "lizard-like" (and as a negative term, you have to admit it's pretty *tame* slightly humorous, works with several age groups -- I've heard my 80 year-old father refer to certain politicians as "lizards -- and is *relatively* non-offensive, at least compared to other terms that could have been used).

It is intended to be somewhat "shocking" :eek: to address the foolishness of voting AGAINST people in primaries (instead of voting FOR someone else). (i.e. the Ron Paul supporters in New Hampshire who voted FOR John McCain as a way of voting AGAINST Mitt Romney!)

Plus, it is NON-specific. I've had several people ask me who the "lizard-like" candidate is... and I simply turn it around and ask them who they THINK it is...

And I've heard the name of virtually every single candidate (Democrat AND Republican) in response.

So WHO the "lizard" is ...is entirely dependent upon the perspective of the person READING the piece.

AND quite frankly if someone IS offended -- because they think it refers to THEIR preferred candidate? Well, what does that say about how THEY perceive their candidate?
And other than that -- we are not going "negative" at all.

WRellim
01-22-2008, 03:34 PM
hmmm I see this on the site:

IMPORTANT NOTE: This type of literature is NOT meant to be used in combination with standard campaign-issued slim-jims:

In fact using slim-jims or other DETAILED literature will often be COUNTER PRODUCTIVE and likely to LOSE a vote that this piece has just won-over. At this LATE DATE in the campaign, most "superficial voters" -- those who have NOT yet made up their minds -- DO NOT WANT all of that additional information (in fact they use detailed information to ELIMINATE candidates from their "short-list" before they play eenie-meenie-miny-moe in the voting booth).

So keep it simple. and use these pieces BY THEMSELVES.

Why? I was gonna use this WITH slimjims and other printouts --- whats the problem with including this OR including the other items WITH this printout.

As to the reasoning why...

Seeds take time to germinate.

I will explain what that means more fully below.

We do have experience to prove the value of this over Slim-Jims.

At flea-markets, trade shows, and in one-on-ones, a lot of people will "glance-over" the standard campaign slim-jims and will run across a particular issue/position and then instantly "dismiss" Ron Paul -- because they the statement/issue/position is one they disagree with or more often, think is IMPRACTICAL.

So, we've found that the slim-jims actually turn OFF more voters than they turn ON.

The reason is pretty basic. The Campaign's literature was designed by libertarian-type people to APPEAL to libertarian-type people. That's fine as far as it goes (but it hits a ceiling at around 10%). Those 10%, the "libertartian/thinking" people are already onboard.

But the general public -- while probably libertarian in their hearts -- do NOT make their decisions logically and based on a firm philosophical-political stance.

Instead they make their decisions EMOTIONALLY, based on how they "feel" about a candidate, not what they "think." The gut overrules the head.

And in "picking" a candidate, they are doing a "narrow-down" process -- in other words they are LOOKING for gut-level things that EXCLUDE someone from consideration, rather than for someone TO vote for.

The CommonSense flyers are actually pretty "generic" -- but they appeal on a gut-level to people's EMOTIONAL needs and desires (though it works on libertarians too) -- even playing on SPECIFIC keywords and hot-buttons like the "Peace of Mind" and "Financial Security" phrases (these are based on years of solid focus-group research).

Everyone wants PEACE. Everyone wants PROSPERITY... and Everyone wants FREEDOM.

Everyone also wants PEACE OF MIND, to be FINANCIALLY SECURE, and to live FREE FROM FEAR!

An everyone wants to have a "CAN-DO SPIRIT." We all want to RENEW, RESTORE, REVITALIZE. We want to HONOR our PAST COMMITMENTS, and we all want ACCOUNTABILITY, and [claim or profess] that we want PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY and freedom to pursue our OWN BELIEFS and make our OWN CHOICES.

You see how -- at a gut level -- you automatically agreed with ALL of the above? So does everyone else. NO TRIGGERS, and absolutely NOTHING TO REJECT.

Conversely, most people reading "End the IRS!" on a flyer have TWO thought that occur almost simultaneously. 1) "Don't I Wish!" immediately followed by 2) "But it's not practical... how would we pay for XXX!" which leads the person to EXCLUDE and then DISMISS Ron Paul as non-electable.

The CommonSense flyer does NOT go that far... instead it "wins hearts" and engages people to "IMAGINE... A Rejuvenated American Workforce, Totally Free from the hassles of burdensome Income Taxes and IRS rules." It does NOT say how that will be achieved -- but note the context. Even though the words Totally Free, Income Taxes and IRS rules are in bold -- the BRAIN is still thinking of "Prosperity" and is busy imagining the "Rejuvenated AMERICAN Workforce" as the context, and so does NOT reach the point of "rejection" of the other part of the message.

Nitty gritty is this: If you give someone a Common Sense flyer wrapped around a Slim-Jim, you will "WIN" them over with the CS flyer, only to lose them 30 seconds later with the Slim-Jim, because the "SEED" of the "CommonSense" and the "Peace, Prosperity and Freedom" memes has not YET had the chance to take root. It is almost instantly "uprooted" out of the ground by the gut-level reaction thoughts necessary to examine the "roots" of the candidate.

But if instead... you hand out the CS flyer as an initial "seed planting" -- and then a few days or a week later the person gets a Slim-Jim or receives more details on Ron Paul's message and his issue stances -- THEN those things will serve to WATER and FERTILIZE the young plant that has been "growing" in the imagination of the voter.

Seeds take time to germinate.

You cannot stick a seed in the ground and immediately pour a ton of 10-10-5 fertilizer on it, drown it in water, and expect to harvest a full-grown crop on the same day! Seedlings are very vulnerable and need "nurturing" and "protection" -- once the plant begins to grow... THEN you apply the fertilizer and water in measured portions and at appropriate times.

Make sense now?

Don't "uproot" the seeds you're planting.

mugen
01-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Go Ron Paul!

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 03:57 PM
I like it.... can anyone post the original file use to create it, so we can modify the flyer?

aka the psd file?

RobS
01-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Bump

iiguns
01-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Please read this!!! I notice if I am handing out flyer's more than 50% of the people ignore me,
maybe because they see this monster of a man and get intimidated by me. But if a young teen,
say kids that are to young to vote pass them out, people will be more inclined to accepting them. So I plan to get as many kids as I can find and give them a few bucks to hand them out in parking lots and so on. But I would like a flyer's that a young teen would say to someone older, Like please don't send me to IRAQ, & I will be paying SS but there will be no more money when I reach retirement, Please I really believe in the Constitution and I am to young to vote will you vote for Dr. Ron Paul for me. I'm not good at writing this stuff just trying to give a few examples... So in other words what would a teen say to someone that understood Ron's message. Thats the flyer's I would like to see also.

What do you think:D

Guns:D

iiguns
01-22-2008, 04:54 PM
I sure would love flyers like I say in above post any help with the writing of it.

WRellim
01-22-2008, 05:43 PM
I like it.... can anyone post the original file use to create it, so we can modify the flyer?

What would you need to change, and why?

WRellim
01-22-2008, 05:52 PM
If EACH ONE OF US were to distribute 1000 copies of this flyer, it would do the campaign a world of good:

Can we make this viral?

Pretty much already is... See the MAP (http://www.manofcommonsense.com/?page=Maps) :eek:

Just keep it going! :cool:

Pete
01-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Well, there have been a lot of lookers, at least. :)

The flyers are very good and they strike me as something that anybody can do before Super Tuesday.

BTW, would it be too much trouble to make one for Ohio showing the March 4 date?

WRellim
01-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Well, there have been a lot of lookers, at least. :)

The flyers are very good and they strike me as something that anybody can do before Super Tuesday.

BTW, would it be too much trouble to make one for Ohio showing the March 4 date?

OHIO and the March and April dates are coming soon (I've been unbelievably busy with other aspects of this and apologize for the delay in getting the other states up.)

But actually, the map is not just "lookers" -- it is the locations that DOWNLOADED the PDF's...

If I put up a map of people who have just "looked" by visiting the website... well you wouldn't see much "map" as it would basically be all markers (including overseas -- I've gotten emails and etc from people in the strangest places who want to know if they can help publish these things in the states, etc -- best I can offer is that they spread the word to people they know in the United States.)