PDA

View Full Version : Well not to be a bummer but "donor fatigue"

Oyate
01-22-2008, 01:41 AM
Howdy, I'm not going to be glum, just pointing out a couple more ideas on "why".

Previous posters have pointed out lots of perfectly reasonable explanations as to why this was only or 3rd greatest bomb to date. It wasn't widely promoted, it wasn't hyped by the MSM, most of us are busy with the primaries in one way or another, most of us spend money on our own grassroots promo stuff, that's all good ya.

I do know about how many of us are young, new to the movement and not getting total victory at this point would be pretty disappointing to many in this category. It's hard to believe that people won't listen to the truth when you are young. But we know this ya.

There's one effect I don't think has been discussed all that much. When I was in not-for-profit, we called it "donor fatigue". It happens with every major disaster. You get an outpouring of support early on, but as the issue fades from the news (ring any bells?), people kind of tune it out. They already did what they felt they had to do. On with the next thing.

It's not too hard to understand for many hardcore activists. We call this "real fatigue" or "butt-ass tired" or "dead-ass broke". But hardcores always bounce back and get back in the fight.

And being hard core gets you into veteran status before long.

And veterans don't give up in this game. Not unless something major stops them.

We're making room for a whole new generation of veteran activists in this here movement. Don't worry about the seeming loss of momentum. Often, things seem most calm when the real change is happening. It takes some time to manifest but it's already happened.

Shake off all slings and arrows, things get really exciting from here. Promise.

Lars
01-22-2008, 02:07 AM
Bump

acroso
01-22-2008, 02:11 AM
uhhh we just raised 2 million...that's pretty damn impressive,..

VIDEODROME
01-22-2008, 02:13 AM
Put me under for Dead Ass Broke. In December I was unemployed but still donated a little off the charge card because I realize what is at stake.

I now have a job but the pay is pathetic. I plan to apply to a truck driving job. If I make more money and pay down my credit cards I will donate again.

jaybone
01-22-2008, 07:09 AM
#1 - we are on the verge of a financial collapse and possibly a depression
#2 - Many of us are max'ed out on contributions
#3 - many of us are a bit disillusioned with the official campaign and choose to support grassroots instead.
That being said, MLK would have been proud, this effort was a great success!

HollyforRP
01-22-2008, 07:14 AM
2 million is alot! We shouldn't get upset over that.

Seanmc30
01-22-2008, 07:16 AM
uhhh we just raised 2 million...that's pretty damn impressive,..

I agree. Let us not forget that in a few minuets our economy is about to officially begin its nosedive, I can understand some hesitance to donate during a time of such uncertainty. I think the other threads are spot on when they talk about capitalizing on the market decline due to this mutant relationship between State/Economic policy.

Maybe if the market bottoms out bad enough, people will get their head out of their ass and start to realize that Government involvement only makes the down times 10 times worse than they would be in normal market fluctuation.

dave68
01-22-2008, 07:25 AM
2 million is pretty good considering how the economy is doing. Some good news. Just heard a Marist poll in NY. Giuliani is losing 34% to 23% to Mccain. Only 35% of mccains voters are positive they will vote for him.

SML
01-22-2008, 07:33 AM
#1 - we are on the verge of a financial collapse and possibly a depression
#2 - Many of us are max'ed out on contributions
#3 - many of us are a bit disillusioned with the official campaign and choose to support grassroots instead.
That being said, MLK would have been proud, this effort was a great success!

#3: I'm not necessarily disillusioned with them, but in the last 48 hours I did pretty much match every two dollars I gave to the official campaign with a dollar for a grassroots effort.

CUnknown
01-22-2008, 08:51 AM
While the other candidates are dropping out of the race left and right, Ron Paul raises 2 million dollars in a single day. And we're upset about this? :D

Winston
01-22-2008, 11:28 AM
It's not too hard to understand for many hardcore activists. We call this "real fatigue" or "butt-ass tired" or "dead-ass broke". But hardcores always bounce back and get back in the fight.

And being hard core gets you into veteran status before long.

And veterans don't give up in this game. Not unless something major stops them.

We're making room for a whole new generation of veteran activists in this here movement. Don't worry about the seeming loss of momentum. Often, things seem most calm when the real change is happening. It takes some time to manifest but it's already happened.

Badass and right on.

:cool: :cool:

Captain Shays
01-22-2008, 12:32 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I've been spending money on printing paterials to hand out, dvds the blimp and other stuff. I bought a few cans of paint for signs, gave 20 bucks to my meetup group.

No one seems to be counting the private money we spend on those other things. I'll bet if they did, we would have far exceeded 20 million in the past quarter.

The important thing is not to get discouraged by the media blackout but to fight even harder.

usmcZ
01-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Well, as someone who has donated to all the other money bombs, and a few times on random days as well, I just couldn't afford this one, yes - not even a $10 donation. I have been supporting grassroots efforts and other means, but right now I just don't have the money, and our next paycheck is still almost 2 weeks away :(.

Definitely still in the fight, just financially won't be able to donate for a week or two... I think mainly because a lot of us donated a LOT, in comparison to our salaries, before christmas, and then christmas helped throw the my debt-to-income ratio into "scary" level :)