PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to us?

ronpaul4pres
01-22-2008, 01:28 AM
So, the MLK "money bomb" generated a significant amount of money, but it was less than 1/3 of the last "money bomb" and "only" 5,200 new donors were added. What has happened to us?

Thomas Paine wrote, "These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country." Did we have sunshine patriots leave us? Did we think NH would be a cakewalk and carry us to victory with little effort?

My greatest worry is all the negativity directed toward the campaign (some justified). Yet, I see Bradley's post of constructive criticisms has been removed as a sticky. Was there any resolution? Has anything been fixed? Is anything being addressed? Is Ron Paul focusing on winning or focusing on getting out his message? If anyone "in the know" is reading this, let me put it this way: the best way to get out the message is to win. So, what is being done and what has been done to address the issues in the post below?

Constructive Criticisms (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=85493)

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 01:29 AM
The economy is spiraling into the abyss. I have maxed out my contribution at $2.3k. My family is saving money and buying food for this massive recession.

hueylong
01-22-2008, 01:31 AM
The other money bombs were before the voting started. When everyone was fantasizing about sweeping to victory unopposed.

Now -- it is rooted in reality. And $1.85 million is an astounding number for a campaign in our position: running against the entire establishment...

InLoveWithRon
01-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Today was still one of the top fundraising days in US history.. Dont let our records spoil you..

You have to understand that we are very well positioned in Louisiana to win the delegates there, and the state.. We will use that to catapult us into super tuesday.. It will also lift our morale a great deal..

Rhys
01-22-2008, 01:32 AM
yeah man, I think $2 million today is a total victory with news that the economy wont be there when we wake up and this money bomb was not hyped with a fifth of the energy put int Tea Party. I was kinda surprise we made $2 mil. I expect 1 based on buzz.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-22-2008, 01:34 AM
The fundamental, core problem here is that the GOP is a lost cause. Everything else is secondary. Anyone who ever expected to WIN the GOP nomination was unrealistic in their expectations.

You must have realistic expectations, or you are setting yourself up for a fall. But people like me who have been arguing all along for a longer-term goal, like an independent run, or setting up a new party, have been shouted down here as "trolls", when in fact ours was the only realistic message all along, and the people who thought this corrupt, war-mongering party would actually nominate a true patriot like Dr Paul were mistaken all along.

If you set a larger goal, then small so-called "losses" like New Hampshire won't faze you, because you know you are working toward something larger, like a new party, or a Ross Perot style independent run this year by Ron Paul.

Fixing your hopes to the GOP nomination is pure insanity.

tarabyte
01-22-2008, 01:34 AM
Well, did you guys see the stock market today?

It is getting really bad, people are broke.

I know it is getting bad because a lot more of my customers' credit cards are getting declined than usual. Which usually means that they are maxing out their credit cards.

And I could swear that food prices increased 10-20% on January 1st.

ronpaul4pres
01-22-2008, 01:36 AM
I was kinda surprise we made $2 mil. I expect 1 based on buzz.

That's part of my point...what happened to the "buzz?"

I think hueylong is right - reality set in after the votes, but the main point of my post is to ask: how do we get the excitement back? I know one part of that is "fixing" the official campaign. So, I'm very curious what has been done and/or is being done?

dwdollar
01-22-2008, 01:37 AM
This country is a lost cause. I'm afraid it's time to start thinking about how we are going to survive the depression.

JustBcuz
01-22-2008, 01:38 AM
So, the MLK "money bomb" generated a significant amount of money, but it was less than 1/3 of the last "money bomb" and "only" 5,200 new donors were added. What has happened to us?

Thomas Paine wrote, "These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country." Did we have sunshine patriots leave us? Did we think NH would be a cakewalk and carry us to victory with little effort?

My greatest worry is all the negativity directed toward the campaign (some justified). Yet, I see Bradley's post of constructive criticisms has been removed as a sticky. Was there any resolution? Has anything been fixed? Is anything being addressed? Is Ron Paul focusing on winning or focusing on getting out his message? If anyone "in the know" is reading this, let me put it this way: the best way to get out the message is to win. So, what is being done and what has been done to address the issues in the post below?

Constructive Criticisms (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=85493)

All I can tell you is the staff that the campaign sent to Nevada were truly outstanding; they had a lot to do with our success. You got your $$$'s worth here.

As for this Money Bomb, I just think it wasn't promoted very well. Last night I didn't get a single email from either of my local meetups until I sent one out myself. The Tea Party had my mailbox full every day for a week leading into it. Maybe that's because our members are a bit burnt out coming out of our caucus. Maybe not.

I do think it is a testament to the grassroots that today still brought in almost 2M.

But the campaign still needs more cash. LOTS more cash. So let's either come up with some new & clever ways to get the dough flowing, or let's start planning the next money bomb and promote the hell out of it. I really don't care how we do it, just so long as the campaign gets the rest of that 23 M they've asked for. We've got 20 M to go.

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 01:39 AM
I agree also. I was actually very impressed with today's fund raising totals considering the serious economic crisis, skyrocketing unemployment and food prices, etc.

tarabyte
This country is a lost cause. I'm afraid it's time to start thinking about how we are going to survive the depression.

Sadly, even if Ron Paul wins the White House, our economy is still going to be in the shitter this year.

LandonCook
Those who havn't maxed out, are broke... Those who have money have been spending it on other projects. Those with money left over don't know if it will be used wisely.

And those who arn't any of those^^^^ Pulled the change from the couch to donate today.

Oh, and plus it was poorly organized.

UtahApocalypse
01-22-2008, 01:40 AM
Tshhtf & Eotwawki

tarabyte
01-22-2008, 01:40 AM
As for this Money Bomb, I just think it wasn't promoted very well. Last night I didn't get a single email from either of my local meetups until I sent one out myself. The Tea Party had my mailbox full every day for a week leading into it. Maybe that's because our members are a bit burnt out coming out of our caucus. Maybe not.

Please read the link in my signature about the TeaParty07 emails.

ronpaul4pres
01-22-2008, 01:46 AM
All I can tell you is the staff that the campaign sent to Nevada were truly outstanding; they had a lot to do with our success. You got your $$$'s worth here.

I do think it is a testament to the grassroots that today still brought in almost 2M.

But the campaign still needs more cash. LOTS more cash. So let's either come up with some new & clever ways to get the dough flowing, or let's start planning the next money bomb and promote the hell out of it. I really don't care how we do it, just so long as the campaign gets the rest of that 23 M they've asked for. We've got 20 M to go.

It's good to know the campaign is doing some things right!

My post is exactly about the lack of promotion. What has happened that we didn't care to promote it? I completely do not believe the economy is to blame. Sure, it's getting worse, but we're not that far away from Dec 16 - it didn't change that much.

Finally, I don't think we should be talking about clever ways to promote more fundraising. Like Ron Paul, I think we need to discuss the root cause(s) of why what we had died down. Only then can we start discussion solutions.

So, I have these so far:

1) Constructive criticisms about the campaign needing addressed.
2) The apparent impending failure to win the GOP nomination.

Am I missing any other root cause?

Rhys
01-22-2008, 01:48 AM
We should see if we can't do a "Ron Paul Day" for Feb 1st.... maybe?

with the full weight and enthusiasm, maybe we can do another 2mil at least.

Rhys
01-22-2008, 01:49 AM
Oops... I meant to say....

This money bomb was poorly timed. Frankly, I heard about it from Ron Paul on CNN. lol

Did it exist before that?

It came when we were facing the newsletter scandal. It's not a bad thing that it wasn't promoted... we were busy. I know I had MI to worry about.

fj45lvr
01-22-2008, 01:49 AM
its only natural after several primaries are done and the odds look slim.

People like to back winners (sports teams prove that)....sad when it comes down to freedom vs despotism

NH was critical to get a 1 or 2 finish.....oh well the odds have been against us all along and it is still POSSIBLE!!!

tomveil
01-22-2008, 01:50 AM
Me personally, I'm broke. :( My buisness has been hurting, and I doubt that I'm going to survive the crash if it comes in the next couple months. Christmas was bad because people were broke. I've been able to help the campaign in other ways, but I just don't have any more money to give. I expect that it's like that around the country as well.

But today's bomb wasn't a failure at all. We raised a bunch of money. Even if we raised 10 million today, the media blackout wouldn't suddenly be lifted. Todays donations and every donation after is a success, because it adds more money to the campaign. No amount of money is going to lift the blackout. Look at the signs. The economy is spiraling, and still they say no candidate has a plan. They don't mention the guy WHO'S BEEN SAYING THIS SHIT FOR YEARS!!! There's simply no excuse any longer. They're out to make sure that people don't hear the message. Every dollar we donate helps get the message out.

Flirple
01-22-2008, 01:51 AM
Today was a huge success. You can't compare a money bomb after getting an average of 4rth place finishes in the first handful of primaries to money bombs that took place well before the first primary. It's comparing apples to oranges.

A "long shot" candidate that is ignored by the media and has not come close to winning a primary yet raising very decent money is completely unheard of. What happened today is really more impressive than the last 2 money bombs when you consider the context.

Right now, money is not the main issue. They had about 8-9 million (before today's money bomb) in the bank and the Ron Paul nation is ready to flood it with money if need be. But first, what we need is a spark (winning a small state's primary on Feb 5th for example) coupled with Thompson and Rudy dropping out and overall restless dissatisfaction of the leading 3 candidates. If those stars can line up then hopefully people will discover the best hidden secret of the last 100 years of American politics is right under there noses with all the answers. But right now it is simple human behavior to send money on a results basis.

Roadrcr
01-22-2008, 01:55 AM
The economy is spiraling into the abyss. I have maxed out my contribution at $2.3k. My family is saving money and buying food for this massive recession.

Yer hoarding spaghettio's ?

ronpaul4pres
01-22-2008, 01:55 AM
...it is simple human behavior to send money on a results basis.

Right. So, what are we doing to improve results? It seems to me that status quo will lead us to more of the same.

liberty_Forever
01-22-2008, 01:57 AM
No, I hate spageetios, haha

I'm collecting food for the famine which I believe will begin in earnest sometime in 2009.

Dieseler
01-22-2008, 01:57 AM
It was to divisive.
I told ya so.
Stick to ideas and stay away from cults of personality next time.

Flirple
01-22-2008, 01:59 AM
...That's part of my point...what happened to the "buzz?" how do we get the excitement back?...

By hanging around and not getting embarrassed during this primary season and hope at some point we will get a bit of a wave of attention deep into the primary season. You must understand that most candidates' money immediately dries up after they loose the first 2 primaries (see Richardson, Thompson, Rudy, Dodd, and Biden) . We are willfully defying this political rule! It is simply unheard of. $2 million today under these circumstance is actually more impressive than the previous 2 money bombs under those circumstances.

Dave Pedersen
01-22-2008, 02:00 AM
There is an increasing echo reverberating among all of us who are increasingly becoming helpless bystanders as nondescript forces sluggishly ponder onward without particular purpose. Donations are down because we allow ourselves to remain hamstrung by expectations of exemplary performance by HQ. We lack focus and every dynamic concept is derailed by the distinct minority. Everyone is fighting over a perceived shrinking pie of funding available to the grassroots ironically by that same grassroots. Every project gets pilloried as too wasteful of available funds and there is no coalescence of grassroots capacity. Fear of failure darkens every light and the cowermongers prevail upon our dwindling imaginations.

United we stand. In the original revolution it was George Washington who served as the leader, able to do what no other man could, unite a faltering army to press on no matter the expectations of a reasonable mind.

In this revolution no one has successfully filled that role. Not Ron Paul for he cannot lead the grassroots. Not Trevor Lyman for he remains content to be a detached entrepreneur.

Out of the grassroots movement to elect Ron Paul must arise some unifying person to declare action above the bickering doubting absence of consensus and focus our tremendous capacity in one single effort made effective by sound strategic reasoning combined with unity of action.

Only in our unity can we realize our peculiar strength. The money bombs are showing us we have great potential on a national scale if only we could somehow act in concert upon one single specific well considered course of action. To exercise this capacity beyond the easy money bomb we need leadership. We also need the ability to recognize excellence in strategy and refrain from self-serving jealousies and consequential disintegrations of vision. Are we able to be led and thus focus our power to one great end? Can we the grassroots be heard by the nation? Do we have both the leader with strategic genius and the character within ourselves to be so led? Time will tell. In the interim we only do what a divided populace can according to the default state of being not we the people but we the individuals.

Thom1776
01-22-2008, 02:01 AM
It's like at the beginning of the season when the Patriots were beating everyone by 20 or 30 points. When they only started beating them by a few points, people were saying, "what's wrong". Hell, not me! A win is a win is a win.

Ron Paul won again on the 21st!

Talcott
01-22-2008, 02:01 AM
The fundamental, core problem here is that the GOP is a lost cause. Everything else is secondary. Anyone who ever expected to WIN the GOP nomination was unrealistic in their expectations.

You must have realistic expectations, or you are setting yourself up for a fall. But people like me who have been arguing all along for a longer-term goal, like an independent run, or setting up a new party, have been shouted down here as "trolls", when in fact ours was the only realistic message all along, and the people who thought this corrupt, war-mongering party would actually nominate a true patriot like Dr Paul were mistaken all along.

If you set a larger goal, then small so-called "losses" like New Hampshire won't faze you, because you know you are working toward something larger, like a new party, or a Ross Perot style independent run this year by Ron Paul.

Amen brother ....it's so much bigger than just the gop nomination.

I want to fly like an eagle

To the sea

Fly like an eagle

Let my spirit carry me

Till Im free

Oh, lord, through the Revolution......!

Steve Miller/Fly like an Eagle

:D

Rhys
01-22-2008, 02:09 AM
There is an increasing echo reverberating among all of us who are increasingly becoming helpless bystanders as nondescript forces sluggishly ponder onward without particular purpose. Donations are down because we allow ourselves to remain hamstrung by expectations of exemplary performance by HQ. We lack focus and every dynamic concept is derailed by the distinct minority. Everyone is fighting over a perceived shrinking pie of funding available to the grassroots ironically by that same grassroots. Every project gets pilloried as too wasteful of available funds and there is no coalescence of grassroots capacity. Fear of failure darkens every light and the cowermongers prevail upon our dwindling imaginations.

United we stand. In the original revolution it was George Washington who served as the leader, able to do what no other man could, unite a faltering army to press on no matter the expectations of a reasonable mind.

In this revolution no one has successfully filled that role. Not Ron Paul for he cannot lead the grassroots. Not Trevor Lyman for he remains content to be a detached entrepreneur.

Out of the grassroots movement to elect Ron Paul must arise some unifying person to declare action above the bickering doubting absence of consensus and focus our tremendous capacity in one single effort made effective by sound strategic reasoning combined with unity of action.

Only in our unity can we realize our peculiar strength. The money bombs are showing us we have great potential on a national scale if only we could somehow act in concert upon one single specific well considered course of action. To exercise this capacity beyond the easy money bomb we need leadership. We also need the ability to recognize excellence in strategy and refrain from self-serving jealousies and consequential disintegrations of vision. Are we able to be led and thus focus our power to one great end? Can we the grassroots be heard by the nation? Do we have both the leader with strategic genius and the character within ourselves to be so led? Time will tell. In the interim we only do what a divided populace can according to the default state of being not we the people but we the individuals.

That's very poetic but a blind faith in an politicaly unskilled grassroots is what's gotten us in trouble and done us good. We raised money, but we don't canvas.

We don't need a super cool grassroots leader. We need 180,000 precinct leaders out canvasing, and money for TV.

This isn't to take the wind out of any sails... it's the bottom line of the real world. It's how Mittens is doing so well. His supporters are doing campaign stuff. We are doing hippy stuff.

Kotin
01-22-2008, 02:09 AM
Amen brother ....it's so much bigger than just the gop nomination.

To the sea

Fly like an eagle

Let my spirit carry me

Till Im free

Oh, lord, through the Revolution......!

Steve Miller/Fly like an Eagle

:D

haha we got ourselves another 90's kid in here.

welcome! im one too heheh..

ronpaul4pres
01-22-2008, 02:24 AM
In this revolution no one has successfully filled that role. Not Ron Paul for he cannot lead the grassroots.

Dave, you gave an excellent response, but I take issue with the second sentence in the quoted statement. There should be some direction, some lead - like voters.ronpaul2008.com, which is a great resource for us.

To all:

There was a very extensive list of criticisms of the campaign. Why was it taken down as a sticky, and what is being done? If people knew what was going on, I'm sure that would help our morale.

Flirple
01-22-2008, 02:27 AM
Right. So, what are we doing to improve results? It seems to me that status quo will lead us to more of the same.

The first thing I would like to see is for HQ to change tactics as has been well discussed on these forums such as the ineffective tv and radio adds with the generic narrators that you here on every other candidate's commercials.

The second thing (and something we in the grassroots have more control over) I would like to see is for us to stop scaring children with our antics and demeanor and instead tuck in our shirts and comb our hair and head out to canvas our neighborhoods. Especially in the mountain west and California where we have a natural fan base and will have less competition due to candidates not being able to campaign in all states because of the intensity of the primary schedule.

My main goal is to try to get Ron as many delegates as possible and hope for a brokered convention where Ron would have some leverage especially because he can threaten to run as a third party candidate.

nodope0695
01-22-2008, 02:29 AM
Well, did you guys see the stock market today?

It is getting really bad, people are broke.

I know it is getting bad because a lot more of my customers' credit cards are getting declined than usual. Which usually means that they are maxing out their credit cards.

And I could swear that food prices increased 10-20% on January 1st.

Just heard on the news tonight that groceries have gone up 29% this year. Unbelievable. I paid nearly $5.00 for a gallon of milk. What the hell is going on???

Rhys
01-22-2008, 02:44 AM
inflation's trickle down effect.

trickled into medicine, home prices, energy and food is the latest thing to get hit.

not to mention food is competing with energy now.

We took our number one food crop and turned it into expensive gasoline. sucks.

not to mention everything Ron Paul says.

pacelli
01-22-2008, 02:52 AM
Like Ron Paul, I think we need to discuss the root cause(s) of why what we had died down. Only then can we start discussion solutions.

So, I have these so far:

1) Constructive criticisms about the campaign needing addressed.
2) The apparent impending failure to win the GOP nomination.

Am I missing any other root cause?

3. Not enough new donors contributing enough to make up for the old donors who have maxed out or stopped donating.

4. Many distracting posts in the past 2 weeks about billionaires and newsletters that sidetracked people from 'the message'.

pacelli
01-22-2008, 02:53 AM
To all:

There was a very extensive list of criticisms of the campaign. Why was it taken down as a sticky, and what is being done? If people knew what was going on, I'm sure that would help our morale.

That thread located here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=85493

pacelli
01-22-2008, 02:54 AM
5. Numerous primaries had people looking at polling numbers & protesting MSM rather than organizing and promoting fundraisers.

ronpaul4pres
01-22-2008, 08:53 AM
That thread located here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=85493

That's the same thread I linked at the start of this thread. Is there a thread that says "X, Y, and Z" have been implemented to correct "A, B, and C?"

expatriot
01-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Nothing 'happened to us'.

The novelty has worn off.

The original Nov 5 was an electrifying point given energy by the intensity
of the emotions buried in the desperate life and death struggle against oppression.

The tea party was a bit more sedate moment in history more like a strongly worded prank
against an oppressor.

The MLK moment is just watered down to a sappy feel-good thing to do.
nice sentiment but it has nothing to do with the r3VOLution against tyranny.

But the energy is not lost - it is being channeled into canvassing and recruitment.

That's all

Back to your regularly scheduled whatever...

LibertyEagle
01-22-2008, 09:46 AM

It seems to me, that our job as the grassroots, is to support Dr. Paul in whatever HE says HE is doing. Right now, that means running for the REPUBLICAN NOMINATION.

PimpBlimp
01-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Banks were closed... I couldn't donate :(

BeFranklin
01-22-2008, 09:57 AM
The other money bombs were before the voting started. When everyone was fantasizing about sweeping to victory unopposed.

Now -- it is rooted in reality. And $1.85 million is an astounding number for a campaign in our position: running against the entire establishment...

Lol, I donated $500 - a lot for a student income - the last bomb, and I was not fantasying about sweeping to immediate victory.

ronpaul4pres
01-22-2008, 08:41 PM
It seems to me, that our job as the grassroots, is to support Dr. Paul in whatever HE says HE is doing. Right now, that means running for the REPUBLICAN NOMINATION.

I fully agree!

Perhaps I need to do much more searching, but I'm having difficulty finding an answer to my question: what has the campaign (Ron Paul) done to address valid issues brought up by the grassroots?