PDA

View Full Version : First jobs to go?

Phunbaba
01-21-2008, 11:59 PM
What are the first jobs to go in a recession/depression? I would assume loans and manufacturing jobs, but I'm not an economic guru.

I am a writer, so I will still be fine, but my wife is an auditer. She audits banks for a private firm. What is her job security? Explain your position as well. Thanks!

EDIT: A little more specific: she audits community banks, not the big corporate ones.

Matt Collins
01-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Art + recreation?

Anywhere that disposable income for non-necessity items/services.

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-22-2008, 01:04 AM
stock brokers :O

derdy
01-22-2008, 01:10 AM
Finances, banks, construction, small businesses, etc etc etc.

Brian4Liberty
01-22-2008, 10:10 PM
What are the first jobs to go in a recession/depression?

You mean after all of the job losses that have led to this depression?

Auto workers, garment workers, farm workers, steel workers, customer service reps, computer programmers, construction workers, restaurant workers, manufacturing/production workers of all kinds, some doctors/nurses, etc. I'm sure I missed others...

Of course today it is mortgage and real estate related workers getting hit big...big banks like Citibank will be cutting a lot of jobs. Construction is dropping off to nothing...

Live Free or Die
01-22-2008, 10:24 PM
You mean after all of the job losses that have led to this depression?

Auto workers, garment workers, farm workers, steel workers, customer service reps, computer programmers, construction workers, restaurant workers, manufacturing/production workers of all kinds, some doctors/nurses, etc. I'm sure I missed others...

Of course today it is mortgage and real estate related workers getting hit big...big banks like Citibank will be cutting a lot of jobs. Construction is dropping off to nothing...

Add the small-biz fishermen to that, to wit: the north Atlantic Lobstermen & fishermen. Sure, there are unions, and with unions, come all sorts of "agreements." These will be very detrimental to the coastal N. Atlantic states like Maine, NH, MA.

I'd assume (?) the same could be said for WA state and their fishing/crab/salmon industry?

FrankRep
01-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Car makers

statesman
01-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Car makers

the have already been hit...

auto sales will slow down

asgardshill
01-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Yacht builders, niche-market executive aircraft factory workers, cosmetic and plastic surgeons, luxury foodstuff importers, makers of expensive fripperies of all kinds.

Conversely, people always have to eat and to have a place to live. Service and food industry staffs do well in recessions. So does the repo man.

entropy
01-22-2008, 11:08 PM
The first group to get hit will be illegal immigrants. That is why the unemployment numbers are not outrageous yet. Easy to dump illegals because they have no recourse. Next will be contractual workers who are not permanent employees.

On the bright side this downturn will probably fix some of the illegal immigrant problems, lets just hope it doesn't get so bad that we start crossing the borders to find jobs ourselves!

Brian4Liberty
01-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Yacht builders, niche-market executive aircraft factory workers, cosmetic and plastic surgeons, luxury foodstuff importers, makers of expensive fripperies of all kinds.

Conversely, people always have to eat and to have a place to live. Service and food industry staffs do well in recessions. So does the repo man.

Luxury stuff, yacht builders, plastic surgeons are making out like bandits. As the wealth is redistributed from the middle-class to the ultra-wealthy, that type of business just increases.